Zeus

"Inspiration" - where does music find it?

Grieva post - powered by Japanese 2ch and ameblo rants:

Oni to Kage 1. SE → Gauze -mode of Adam-

true grief→ゆらめき (Dir en grey) 

解離性同一障害→ an eternity (Laputa) +/or Raison detre (Dir en grey)
鬼経-kikei-→mazohyst of decadence (Dir en grey)
蜥-tokage-→Unknown...Despair...a lost +  Cage (Dir en grey)
拝啓、愛しのアイドル様へ→アイドル狂いの心裏学 (Kagerou, idk??) + FILTH (Dir en grey)
中絶→切断 (La:Sadie's)
夕刻絶好センチメンタル→MASK (Dir en grey)
Wish→I'll (Dir en grey)
Dead[en]D→S[K]ape:goat (DELUHI)

孤独人形症候群→Schweinの椅子(Dir en grey)

黒い涙→架空と現実 (La:Sadie's)

退廃的狂葬→残 (Dir en grey)

甘イ右脳、赭イ左脳。→脈 (Dir en grey) + Bel Air (chorus) (Malice Mizer)

Diary → Jealous (Dir en grey) + Jessica (chorus) (Dir en grey) + 未成年 (the GazettE) (solo parts) 

現実は心に蔓延る絶痛と叶わぬ理想の巣窟→DIFFERENT SENSE (Dir en grey)

Grieva vs Grieva SE → G.D.S (Dir en grey) (idk??)

Bondage → 蜜と唾 (Dir en grey)

THE Suicide☆$HOW TIME →CHILD PREY (Dir en grey)

Mad Murder Lesson→ 蒼い月 (Dir en grey)

退廃的狂葬 →業 (Dir en grey)

潔癖症ノ僕。→ R指定 (Kagerou) + 性的緊張インプラン (Kagerou)

I checked only a few of those (especially Diary) so yeah, feel free to suggest/fix/question :)

(ps. how did I do that? Well, by googling out "Grieva ripoff /plagiarism" in Japanese, you will find lots of stuff - especially 2ch shitstorms :))

2chan is bitter about them breathing life into vkei again lololol

孤独人形症候群 sounds nothing like Schwein no Issu? 現実は心に蔓延る絶痛と叶わぬ理想の巣窟→DIFFERENT SENSE (Dir en grey) + the one allegedly having Raison detre in it are a stretch for me too.

Kikei sounds more like Kuroyume's first album than Mazohystboringdence. Then again, I can't sit through 9 minutes of wailing to really compare. If anything, they should have listed Kuroyume's  "百合の花束" since that's where Diru took that main riff from fufufufu

The melody lifted from 架空と現実 is almost negligible. Ru:Natic was much more obvious (who also coincidentally 'borrowed' from 切断 as well).

Dairy and 甘イ右脳、赭イ左脳 are blatant where as the other examples at least put their own spin on how their 'influences' sound, although I still don't hear Bel Air in it.

Wish is more a rip off in song structure than melody imo. "I'LL FOR YOOUUU" turns into "I WISH FOOEBAAAA"

If they were going to draw comparisons to 業, then they should have put 最後ノ晩餐 as well. The song you listed I think has only been played live, along with THE Suicide☆$HOW TIME, Mad Murder Lesson, Bondage, and 潔癖症ノ僕。so I can't confirm if they're right or trying to defend a band who clearly gives no fucks about the scene they changed.

Surprised they didn't mention 毒 -ドク- taking the PSYCHO PASTTRAP PSYCHO PASTTRIP part of 残-ZAN-

THE Suicide☆$HOW TIME, Mad Murder Lesson, Bondage,

i hope they stick these on their next full album

Some of these are just plain ridiculous nitpicking imo... and there are things that are way off like that "kikei → mazohyst" thingie.

These are the ones I can acknowledge/actually hear from that list:

Oni to Kage 1. SE → Gauze -mode of Adam- [somewhat]
true grief → ゆらめき (Dir en grey) 
解離性同一障害 → an eternity (Laputa) [somewhat]
蜥-tokage- → Unknown...Despair...a lost +  Cage (Dir en grey)
拝啓、愛しのアイドル様へ → FILTH (Dir en grey)
Wish → I'll (Dir en grey)
甘イ右脳、赭イ左脳。→ 脈 (Dir en grey) [somewhat]
Diary → Jealous (Dir en grey) + Jessica (chorus) (Dir en grey)
現実は心に蔓延る絶痛と叶わぬ理想の巣窟 → DIFFERENT SENSE (Dir en grey) [somewhat]

Then again - I took most of that nitpicking from the site that has multiple ripoff threads involving hilarious accusations - like say, "Gazette RTU riffage is as same as "Final Destination" by Coldrain" (what??!)

For those who are able to read Japanese (somewhat) : http://new.bbs.2ch2.net/test/read.cgi/kotanuki/1251342689/i voila (it's one of those many, many other threads - and yes, Grieva has its own separate threads, haha)

also, the courtesy of 2ch in YT form:

:lol:

Just when you think things can't get any weirder, visual kei even borrows from doujin music!

Signal - Roots (vocal melody starting at 0:32)

Demetori - メイガスナイト ~ Frenzy Night (main riff)

メイガスナイト ~ Frenzy Night is based off of Yousei Daisensou / Magus Night by ZUN. For reference:

There's this band called Grieva. Extremely original stuff usually, but this one might be erm.. inspired by Dir en grey. Look for yourself.

Joking aside, anyone who denies Grieva's blatant ripoffs is just totally delusional. I only listened to most of their early stuff..but man, I was never reminded of THAT many "similar" songs (that's an understatement). You can't call that inspiration anymore. But it seems they went on creating their own stuff lately, which is a promising thing. Great band.

How accurate is the following list?

genocide and mass murder
01.venom ( Static-X / Monster )
04.grave ( Rammstein/ Mein Teil)

AWAKE-evoke the urge-
02.-1 ( Static-X / Get To The Gone )
06.quench( lynch. / I'm sick b'cuz luv)
07.forsaken ( Breaking Benjamin/ The Diary of Jane )
08.paranoid parade ( Static-X / DestroyAll )

BLISS OUT [DISC.1]
07.CHILDREN( Static-X/ Black AndWhite )
08.UNDEAD FACT ( Bullet For My Valentine / Wakingthe demon)
09.SIX BLACK NINE ( Static-X / I Am / …InA Bag)
10.GRACE ( 浜崎あゆみ / HANABI-episodeⅡ-) 

CREATURE
04.VICE ( D'espairsRay / REDEEMER )
12.CREATURE ( VAMPS/ SEX BLOODROCKN'ROLL )
13.GLORY SKY ( G.ソロDEATHGAZE / BLISSOUT YOURSELF )

DECADE
01.闇に雨 腐敗した世界 ( FF3/ 最後の死闘 )
03.DOWNER( Static-X / Night Terrors )
05.死桜 ( Static-X / Start A War )

ALLURE
01.ALLURE( DEATHGAZE / BRAND NEW KISS, lynch. / Adore )

Original: Deshabillz - グロテスク(GROTESQUE)

~Inspired~: Madeth Gray'll - 螺旋遊戯 (Rasen Yuugi)

Not entirely surprised, as Deshabillz were pretty influential in their own right in visual-kei gothic rock scene and Madeth borrowed from several other big names (such as Luna Sea and Kuroyume).

org main riff

the kind of copy

How accurate is the following list?

Some of it is very.. far fetched. This is what I could defnitely clarify:

AWAKE-evoke the urge-

BLISS OUT [DISC.1]

CREATURE

DECADE

Damn that last song is SO OBVIOUS

*noisy comeback*

I have noticed similar situations in Capsule's music on several occasions, but most of them weren't as major as this:

Might be "way too inspired" by this (beat, "percussion hook", stretching chorus) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFx3WX4DES0

(another case would be Capsule's "Electric Light Moon Light" vs. Kylie's "Chocolate" but I am not gonna go down with further analyses...)

Some of it is very.. far fetched. This is what I could defnitely clarify:

AWAKE-evoke the urge-

BLISS OUT [DISC.1]

CREATURE

DECADE

Damn that last song is SO OBVIOUS

There is more though. Sinner is a direct copy of the song The War is Over, I forget by which band though.

And Yami ni Ame(you know, the really old 'Gaze song) is definitely inspired by a Berry song, Shower Room Cinema. Berry was Naoki and Hazuki(lynch)'s old band, and I think Naoto and Ai also did session stuff for Berry.

Seeing as this "hurr this ripped off that one"-mill is getting a bit frustrating (yeah, I am the one to blame for that too lol), let's give this thread a new twist - by taking the OP's thread title literally:

Not that many J-aficionados are interested in finding out about stuff their favorite artists/biases listen to on a regular basis/dig a lot (I'd be rather surprised if there are people like that here) . Sure, there have been talks about bands fanboying X Japan, Kuroyume, LS etc. 

But now, I am gonna focus on foreign acts that only *some* bands/musicians in J-music scene are eager to talk about - my pick for now:

Kaoru (Dir en grey) + "western influences":

Confirmed:

Nine Inch Nails (some DEG fans might already know how big of a fanboy he is, lol)

Pantera

Limp Bizkit

Motley Crue

Flying Lotus

Graveyard (SWE)

Slayer (same as with NIN)

King Crimson (a.k.a the band that inspired Uroboros' cover)

Machine Head

Deftones

Jane's Addiction

Tool / A Perfect Circle

Bauhaus

Rage Against the Machine

System of a Down

Pink Floyd

Muse

Faith No More

+ other nu-metal-related acts

Sources:

http://tower.jp/article/interview/2011/08/02/80334/80339
http://www.cddata-mag.com/special/004/2014/02/12/09/50/21
http://iamhighvoltage.com/2013/11/24/kaoru-of-dir-en-grey/(there are far better sources tho)
http://rateyourmusic.com/list/vinidamazio/dir_en_grey_guitar_roots_album/(highly reccing this)

About others: unlike most of his fellow vk colleagues, Ruki (the Gazette) is rather open about his music taste - his instagram/twitter tends to have his "picks of the day" once in a while, and he has rather "trendy" taste if you ask me...

Apparently many 90s VK bands were fans of Final Fantasy IV. I have found three songs whose melodies (or parts thereof) are based on FFIV OST songs.

First we have Luinspear's Veltair, which took inspiration from the Love Theme. (Jump to 04:28)

La'chryma Christi's Forest sounds like the town theme (07:28). For me it was a bit hard to hear at first, but now I am sure the melodies are similiar (and someone else on youtube had the same impression)

And my last find is Rephit's squall, which sounds really similiar to the FFIV main theme (08:17), especially the intro.

When browsing through some older files, I remembered this song.

You know, Grieva get flak for ripping off Dir en grey, but these guys here pretty much just took "The Final" and gave it different lyrics. Most blatant rip-off I have ever seen in vk. XD

For comparison, here's the original again:

I guess this isn't a ripoff or anything because the melody/chords sound like anyone could make them up, it's just something I recently noticed and it amused the hell out of me. Okay, so I was browsing Youtube for random Public Image Ltd videos (the band of Johnny Rotten after Sex Pistols), and I came across this:

As soon as it got to 0:29 I had a weird feeling... I totally know this melody from somewhere... then it hit me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk6k5p0unJI

Well, it sounds pretty much exactly the same, except it's played lower.

Okay, so BOOWY obviously took a bit too much inspiration from Public Image Ltd, right? This is where it gets interesting. PiL's song was released as a single in September 1983 (and later on an album in 1984). BOOWY released their track on their self-titled album in 1985, however it seems their song goes way back! In 1979, a few years before the formation of BOOWY, singer Kyosuke Himuro was in a band called デスペナルティー (Death Penalty) who wrote a song titled ブルー・シガレット・ラブ (Blue Cigarette Love)... which provided the basis for what later became BOOWY's song CHU-RU-LU!

Check it out (sorry, you have to go to YT cuz they didn't allow embedding):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HQydZioArQ

Also note how the melody is slightly different here, while BOOWY's later reworking is a lot more like the PiL song. A mixture of coincidence, (un)conscious inspiration, telepathy, whatever, who knows. XD