Zeus

"Inspiration" - where does music find it?

On 2/25/2019 at 11:14 PM, AimiGen7 said:

Finally, I want to talk about a certain PV location that I've seen used in 3 different bands.

I'm not sure either but now i'm immediately reminded of this pv and wonder if it's the same location, too. (quality of this upload is rather shit, though)

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Paraph said:

I'm not sure either but now i'm immediately reminded of this pv and wonder if it's the same location, too. (quality of this upload is rather shit, though)

Hide contents

It probably was. What record label was this band associated with? I wonder if probably the same staff filmed it.

EDIT: Just realised it's Vidoll. Knowing Vidoll was on Matina, they probably had the same video staff and all, since Eternal Records was a sublabel of Matina.

Edited by AimiGen7

Perhaps someone else already pointed it out; I just noticed the similiarities in these songs. They don't sound exactly the same but I perceived Daraku /DARK・STAR by MARRY+AN+BLOOD was inspired by Sora ga ochiru ano hi by Lamiel.

lamiel - 空が堕ちるアノ日

Marry+An+Blood - Daraku /DARK・STAR

Hide - Dice

This song has probably influenced dozens of other artists, but two examples I noticed almost immediately:

Candy - GIRU

Namely the outro-guitar riff, which matches up with the introductory riff of "Dice." (between 0:02 and through the first verse. It's a little hard to notice at first, as Hide sings over it)

Penicillin - Nightmare Before Christmas

The next one is a bit less direct, but I do not think accidental either.

The main chorus of "Nightmare Before Christmas" is comprised of two melodies, and the latter has an extremely similar vocal rhythm and progression to "Dice's." Compare the snippet I start the following video with with 1:04~1:12 of the first video.

What I think is most interesting about this example is that they didn't actually write this song -- it was composed by Media Youth's vocalist for them because they were besties in the mid-90's. Someone set them up the bomb

Edited by Peace Heavy mk II

11 minutes ago, Peace Heavy mk II said:

What I think is most interesting about this example is that they didn't actually write this song -- it was composed by Media Youth's vocalist for them because they were besties in the mid-90's. Someone set them up the bomb

Whoah, nice find(s)! Another interesting additive to this last factoid is that Media Youth's guitarist KIYOSHI became a member of 'hide with Spread Beaver'... aaand later made a project with HAKUEI (machine). :D 

Seeing how Atsushi & co have so many '80s goth/new wave favorites, this parallel isn't so surprising:

The general vibe of "Russian Roulette" by The Lords of the New Church (1982)...

Spoiler

...reminded me of the original album version of BUCK-TICK's "VICTIMS OF LOVE" (1988).

Spoiler

(couldn't find a studio version of this on YT, only the reworked versions)

So it's no secret Suicidal Tendencies was very influential to Visual Kei. Everyone knows 90's Visual Kei has punk roots, as well as thrash metal roots, and that combination was Suicidal's bread and butter. This is an example I noticed recently of a Visual Kei song taking inspiration from them.:

Furan Yue Ni by La:Sadie's seems to have taken a lot from Subliminal by Suicidal

As a bonus I'll throw in Byou Shin by Dir en Grey. There are probably even more examples, but I'm only a very casual listener to Suicidal (I've been neglecting them for so long lmao)

Edited by Himeaimichu

Yuuwaku by BUCK-TICK (1993)

Night Creature by ZIZ (2012; original solo version 2007 I think)

Granted, it’s pretty predictable that the first VK band to be also unambiguously goth would go on to influence a VK (mostly by association these days, but still) goth artist. However, the resemblance in this case is absolutely remarkable.

コドモドラゴン (Codomo Dragon)'s アノニマス

Spoiler

totally ripped of -OZ-'s Breathe trees

Spoiler

Also コドモドラゴン (Codomo Dragon)'s naked

Spoiler

Sounds possibly inspired by Lycaon's Hi ame

Spoiler

Codomo Dragon chair but make it electric :tw_joy::tw_joy::tw_joy::tw_joy:

Also Old School VK fans fail for not pointing out La'mule started this riff that every VK band has used at some point in one way or another, in different variations, ect,. Or did some other band do it first (btw the song itself is very Lycaon)

Spoiler

Edited by blackdoll

I don't know if anyone else pointed this one out yet, but I'm laughing so hard...

DEZERT - 浴室と矛盾とハンマー

Spoiler

versus

Eminem - The Real Slim Shady (play this one at 1.25 speed for full effect)

Spoiler

if you combine MEJIBRAY - サバト (Sabato)

Spoiler

and Unsraw - sliva of god

Spoiler

you get KILLANETH - 孤独-Einsamkeit-

Spoiler

both MORRIGAN's  Xiss in the Dark and PARADIGM XISS

Spoiler

Use Mejibray's NEPENTHES main riff but PARADIGM XISS 's opening is also from Wrath of God

Spoiler

which is from -OZ-'s bitter sweet

Spoiler

and also used by Ghose for Haku

Spoiler

"MEjibAy is OerRateD"

Kind of two weird examples today. The first, I think it is more coincidental, but I could be onto something.

The main melody of the song "After Dark" by Seraphim Shock sounds a lot like Aliene Mariage's "SUICIDE," just at 1/3 the tempo and without the cRaZy vKeI VoCaLs ayiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

edit: it'd be really great is the spoiler tags weren't eating each other

vs

Now, this particular case I think is more of a coincidence, than a ripoff. While the Seraphim Shock song did come out first, I don't think they were popular enough for a relatively small (on a macro-scale) goth band across the world to pick up their albums and thing "...huh, I could be a prettier version of this!!" That being said, I have seen people say Aliene "borrowed" from Slipknot on their 2nd album, so it's not an impossible thing to imagine. However, I am leaning towards this sample being a weird, but cool, similarity.

Example number two:

"Brave Heart," from the Digimon OST vs L'arc~en~ciel's "Vivid Colors"

vs

Now in this case, I do think some "inspiration" shenanigans had been had. (Thanks to Larc for uploading their stuff to Spotify!) I hadn't noticed this similarity before, as I hadn't heard this album until today lololol . The L'arc album came out in 1994 and the Ayumi Miyazaki song is from 1999. How the turns have tabled!

4 hours ago, Manabu said:

LM.c's 'Love Me' and The Pretenders 'Don't get me wrong' are awfully similar, particularly the choice of synth

This is an amazing discovery!! 😂 

So it's no surprise Mitsuki and Takemasa reuse a lot of their old Kurara Zeroshiki and Mizelia stuff in Kiryu, but this is a pretty interesting example I noticed recently.

The chorus for "Bakeneko" seems to be a combination of elements from Yumemonogatari and Yue, which are right next to eachother on the same Kurara Zeroshiki album.

1 minute ago, Peace Heavy mk II said:

@Himeaimichu I think I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but the bass part around 1:39 is also from Baiser's "Damage." They use a lot of old-school vkei references in their music, but they are very good at hiding them / making them their own.

Oh definitely. It's also worth mentioning that the song Yumemonogatari also not-so-subtly uses a part from Penicillin's Chaos lol

Just noticed a riff in 病院坂の人攫いの家 by the band 地獄絵 (jigokue) sounds similar to a section in Bathory's A Fine Way to Die (especially noticable at the 3.08 mark): 

Doesn't suprise me though, considering that Black Metal artist Chaos 9 was part of 地獄絵.

Babykingdom ripped off the only good Daizy Stripper song in their song "Hampire". My guess is both are sourced from the same song, it's just that Hampire's version is super close to how Daizy Stripper performed their rendition.

Original (from the point the video starts at):

Copy:

https://open.spotify.com/track/0IfnEeeUeFZ5ah25AOSp2x?si=LYX_qv85RCy0kJHeNtayTA

(at around 1 minute and 44 seconds)

On 2/26/2020 at 2:49 PM, Ikna said:

Doesn't suprise me though, considering that Black Metal artist Chaos 9 was part of 地獄絵.

and Bathory invented the socalled dark viual kei (Aliene Ma'riage) and black metal

零[Hz] DISTURBO single

Spoiler

is  Inspired by Lycaon's Royal order album

Spoiler

also who's bad

They also rimind me of their past label mates Avidit.

Edited by blackdoll