Zeus

"Inspiration" - where does music find it?

18 minutes ago, merchenticneurosis said:

Lamiel is such a pioneer for bands few years after, not sure if someone posted this earlier already? 

I notice a lot of other bands tend to use that basic melody, such as DEZERT in the song "Sister" and that one band signed to God Child Records had a song with that melody too (I forgot the name). 

Lamiel in general were pretty ahead of their time, sorta going into sounds that other Vkei bands wouldn't start doing until around 2002, sorta-almost going into Nu Metal and stuff. 

This is not a musical comparison, just something interesting I've stumbled upon. I just noticed how DIR EN GREY used part of the same WW2 photograph by Dmitri Baltermants for their THE MARROW OF A BONE album (2007) as British crust punk band Amebix for their No Sanctuary EP (1984). Granted, it's not unusual that different bands use the same 'well-known' work of art for their albums, I just haven't seen a Japanese/non-Japanese connection like this before (or not that I can remember right now). :D

ZtlXKa0.jpg

n0ZgQtJ.jpg

Edited by Jigsaw9

Many of マーブルヘッド's songs/riffs are so blantly copied from the GazettE, but more interestingly, while its only an intro, i think they used the intro from 泣ヶ原 (5th song from DIM) just in their song/intro 《 – 知育 – 》 from their Mini 僕等の曲天烈大百科4. While its only 2 seconds taken i wonder it counts as like sampling or just stolen. Noone might even notice since its just 2 seconds, but i noticed immediatly. (No video for the マーブルヘッド song unfortunatly since its just an intro).

Edit:

Example: 第2話『-通勤途中の悪夢…難産、、グリングリン星人。-』 (02 from 僕等の曲天烈大百科) is a mixture of at least 3 the Gazette songs (first minute is DOGMA) mixed with some "new"/crazy/funny things. The latter are the ones that justify マーブルヘッド as a band for me other band just being a blant copy band.

Edited by filth_y
Added another example

- "Sorrow still in the Merry-go-round" by Ant1nett is identical to "Final" by Laputa. 

- "Tear Drop" by Milia∞ is a plagio of Schwarz Stein's 'Rise to Heaven' . It's the same lead in the intro of both songs.

- "卒業(sotsugyou)" by Blitz has the same intro as "Ai Somaru Koro (藍染まる頃)" by DOWNER (ダウナー)

- "花壱" by アンド (AND) has the same intro as the song "freak show" by auncia.

- The last melody the vocalist sings in "独壇場Beauty -R.I.P.-" by BUCK-TICK is identical to the chorus of the song  "You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)" by Dead Or Alive, but with different lyrics.

- "月が照らす欠片 (Tsuki ga terasu kakera)" by Azusa Kobayashi (小林梓) = "fly me to the moon" by Frank Sinatra.

- "終夜灯 (shuuyatou)" by Awoi (アヲイ) has a chorus that is identical to Sadie's "Silent Eve", even tough the lyrics are different.

- Towards the end of "パンティ×パンティ" by ねこみみ。(neko mimi) they play a guitar riff very similar to Metallica's "Enter Sandman".

- "A GLEAM OF HOPE"  by CATALYST has a melody in it's chorus identical to MEJIBRAY's "Divergence".

- The chorus of the song "THE SUICIDAL AGITATOR" by ヴァンパイア (VAMPIRE) is identical to "MAD ROID" by Sadie, but the lyrics are different.

- The intro to the song "Nostalgia" by La'veil MizeriA is a slowed down version of the intro of the song "~Fall the Quicksand~" by 妃阿甦 (PIASS).

- The breakdown in the song "慙愧 -Sense of deep inside- " by Villers La Ville is just like the intro to Dir en Grey's new version of 羅刹国 (Rasetsukoku).

- The melody in the chorus of the song "Believe" by Scarlet Valse is the same as the melody in the chorus of the song "STARGAZER~終わらない明日へ~" by 秋葉原少年団☆電脳ロメオ (Dennou Romeo)

- Towards the end of モンストロ (Monstlow)'s - ビッグマウス・マーチ (big mouse march) the vocalist sings a version of the chorus of the song "Mickey Mouse March" from the 1950s Disney TV show "The Mickey Mouse Club" using the same melody from the original, but with different lyrics.

- "パラサイトイヴ" by ヴァルナ (varuna) has the same melody as the song "「タトエバ」キミ...ガ...シンダ...ラ" by D'espairsRay, except for the chorus.

- Another song that also samples the same track by Disney is "Cendrillion" by GLORIA.

The bridge of the song "茹でた隠元豆のある柔らかい構造" by 蘭図 (Rands) has the same melody as the famous intro + bridge of the song "Smells like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana. It also has riffs from 3 songs by KUROYUME: 黒夢, 親愛なるDEATH MASK & 十字架との戯れ.

"ハッピーバースデー (Happy Birthday)" by Gossip-ゴシップ-  is pretty much a mix of ガゼット (the GazettE)'s "未成年" and "ザクロ型の憂鬱"

- The first part of the song "だから嫌いなんだ、雨なんて" by GreeΣ, before the 1st bridge, sounds just like "CANDY CANDY" by きゃりーぱみゅぱみゅ (Kyary Pamyu Pamyu).

- GYARANDU (ギャランドゥ) has a song called "Independent", in which they play part of Mission Impossible's theme song just before the guitar solo.

- heidi. has  a song called 幻想囃子 which guitar solo has the same melody as the song 彼岸花 (Higanbana) byドレミ團 (DOREMIdan).

- The very last guitar riff played in the song "電脳花壇-ONE Take Ver-" by DOGinTheパラレルワールドオーケストラ is the same as the famous guitar riff in the intro of the song "Sweet Child O' Mine" by Guns N' Roses, but it was most probably just put there as a joke, since the whole song itself is a spoof.

- The last verse sung in the song 願い星 (Negai Boshi) by キス&ネイト (Kisnate) has the same melody as the chorus of the song 愛2000 by Missalina Rei.

- in LIPHLICH's song entitled "HURRAH HURRAY", there's a part in which the vocalist sings (in English) "I Love Visual, So put another dime in the jukebox baby.
So i Fxxk Visual, So come on take some time and dance with me", which is sang to the tune of the chorus of the song "I Love Rock 'n' Roll" originally by Joan Jett & the Blackhearts.

- The intro of Megaromania's "Bloodshed" is almost identical to the intro of Rhapsody (of Fire)'s song entitled "Dawn of Victory".

- アリス症候群 (alice shoukougun) by メカクシ (Mekakushi) has a breakdown which is just like the guitar riff they keep repeating in Dir en Grey's new version of 残-Zan-.

- MIZTAVLA has a song called "絶望宣言" that's very similar to Gazette's "The $ocial Riot Machine$"

- Another song that has also plagiarized Gazette's "The $ocial Riot Machine$" is "New Age Revolution" by Neo. The bridge in both songs is very similar.

- "Strawberry night" by NoGoD has the same intro as "共栄会 (Kyoueikai)" by アンド (AND).

- The part in which the members of ワン☆スター (One Star) are singing and clapping together in "MIRACLE MUSIC SHOWTIME" is just like the intro to SuG's "39GalaxyZ", but with different lyrics.

- At the very end of the song "PalaPsycho", by Ru:natic, the singer sings in a melody identical to the chorus of the song "恋心" by an even more obscure band called 兎(仮) (Usagi).

- in the middle of "ビッチバンドマン" by SHiSHi they play the same keyboard lead from the intro of the song "Monolith" by Crossfaith.

- The first part of the song "パラサイトイヴ" by ヴァルナ, before the 1st bridge, sounds just like "「タトエバ」キミ...ガ...シンダ...ラ" by D'espairsRay

- The bridge of the song "Y氏" by マチルダ (Mathilda) has a melody identical to "ネクロノミコン" by 愛狂います。(Aicle)

- Mercuria-マキューリア- has plagiarized at least 2 old school VK bands:

1 the intro to "緋い糸" is the same as the intro to the song "君が望む永遠と僕が欲しかった唯一の倖せ" by フィオーレ (Fiore)

2 "被害妄想" has the same chorus as 

Edited by jon_jonz

This one has to be a coincidence: Gazette's "Redo" intro(0:20) vs Nocturnal Bloodlust "Last Relapse" chorus(0:59), exact same melody!

Hoo boy, ELYSION-エリシオン- is notorious for this.

Cry for the moon = Innovational Symphonia by Matenrou Opera

War of the Dead paradise = Crucifixion by Metis Gretel

La colline = Hikari ni Furu Ame by Phantasmagoria

夢幻郷 = Suicide Gemini by Phantasmagoria

"Calling" by Misaruka WDP sounds a hell of a lot like Zombie, ESPECIALLY the solo. With Rin being Hizaki-Lite™ that's not really a surprise tbh:

I was on a Matina kick recently and couldn't figure out why "Eyes for me..." by GARDEN sounded so damn familiar.  Then it hit me.  They took some heavy """"inspiration"""" from Syndrome in that one, lmao.

Edited by Zalemu

The rhythm of the riffage is a bit different but the beginning of "Lucifer ~光をもたらす者~" on PENICILLIN's new mini album is basically Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir" (couldn't find the PENI' example on YT).

Not sure whether this has been pointed out yet (neither tracks are recent), but I was just spinning some old PIERROT and lol'd:

Listen to the main theme/melody in PIERROT's FINALE (1999)...

Spoiler

...then switch over to Pixy false by Phantasmagoria (2004).

Spoiler

not sure if mentioned but the opening guitar melody is similar in these two.

laputa - masquerade

Spoiler

phantasmagoria - hikari ni furu ame

Spoiler

as well, the pv location for phantasmagoria's 'material pain' is the same for ROUAGE's 'ever [blue]'

Edited by Paraph

27 minutes ago, Paraph said:

as well, the pv location for phantasmagoria's 'material pain' is the same for ROUAGE's 'ever [blue]'

The location was also used for a Grieva PV. We also know the song borrowed from Myaku, but that probably has little to do with the location. It's actually almost unfitting

Spoiler

After hearing the new Kiryu song recycle a certain Mi'ze:lia song, I wanted to kind of talk about one of the bands that Kiryu seemed to have really taken a few bits of influence from. Cuartet.

I've been listening to these guys and their contemporaries a lot, and I've noticed a few interesting things.

First off is their song "Koibumi". This at first seems like your run-of-the-mill attempt at an Akuro no Oka, and it is, but it also seems to have been combined with Aoi Haru by Gill'e Cadith. The beach they filmed the PV on was also used some music videos by other band. Most notably, the GazettE, whom at the time were kind of brother-bands with Cuartet. 

The song later inspired Tsukubai by Kiryu. Mahiro even tried to emulate Saki's wailing and screaming at the end. Only, Kiryu's version is much more metal. Why did Kiryu decide to tribute Cuartet? I have no idea why, other than the fact that Mahiro probably is friends with the members. There are setlists with LutenA and Koroshi (Mahiro's first band, and Cuartet's first era, respectively) preforming together that I've found here and there. Mahiro is also a former Luciffer's Record artist, and while Cuartet wasn't on Luciffer's Record, the owner of the record label, Yuuga from Devil Kitty, was closely associated with Cuartet's label, Climax Enteprise. As a result, Curse and Mareli (2 of Mahiro's bands) appeared on 2 omnibuses with Cuartet (edit: for sine reason I originally put Gill'e Cadith here? I really should proofread more). 

One of Mitsuki and Takemasa's earliest bands, Mi'ze:lia, was on Sequence Records, whose owner, Tomozo, was close friends with guitarist AIKA of Cuartet, having played in Black:List and Triggah, and AIKA still being a close associate of Tomozo's current label, Dual Core Sound Enterprise. So it's safe to say, Kiryu and Cuartet's members probably were friends, or at least aquainted with eachother, and bounced ideas off eachother.  

Another thing Cuartet liked to do is use a lot of traditional Japanese aesthetics in some of their looks. Most notably, Sphere and Deep Bonds of Ogre. The Sanskrit overlays and all were later used a lot by Kiryu. Though they were probably initially inspired by La'Mule.  (Sphere scan taken from ZOMBIEXJUICE)

Spoiler

Spoiler

sphere-cover.png

337dd4202fe2446ca07f3a77ec002cf2.jpg

Next is a personal favourite of mine, PROGRAM. This one is pretty much their attempt at combining Zan by Dir en Grey with Devil Kitty and Gill'e Cadith. It's pretty good if you like a lot of screaming and that rhythmic talking thing that isn't exactly rapping that Saki (though it was really Karuna's thing) does. 

Spoiler

Finally, I want to talk about a certain PV location that I've seen used in 3 different bands. I have no idea what this place is called, but maybe someone could help. 

The first band I know that used this is the GazettE, with their song "Wife". During one part, it shows the outside of the building. 

Ogre by Cuartet was later filmed in the same building, and even shows the exterior. 

The final PV that I know of that takes place there was Pink Woman by Etcetera. 

The filming crew for these PVs are probably all the same people who film stuff for Eternal, Climax Enterprise, Luciffer's Record and Mission Music Factory. 

Spoiler

Edited by Himeaimichu

Guruguru Eigakan takes a lot of influence from Enka and Ryukoka, and it shows in their music. 

For one, 90% of the bands songs make use of the Hirajoshi scale. The Hirajoshi scale is a scale used in Japanese music that mainly started for the Shamisen, after it was brought from Okinawa.

Safe to say, this scale pretty much defines Japanese music. By the middle of the Edo Period, it was everywhere. In the key of G, the notes are G, A, Bb, D, Eb. 

Guruguru Eigakan specifically fashions their music off of Enka and Ryukoka. Ryukoka is essentially traditional Japanese music played on western instruments like guitar and accordion,, popular in the 1900's. Enka is essentially a more stylised offshoot of Ryukoka. At it's core, it's mostly just Hirajoshi scale music. 

Amano, vocal wise, seems to really fashion himself off of Haruo Oka. Haruo Oka was one of the first popular singers from Japan, mainly being popular in the 30's and 40's. Oka's vocal style is pretty typical of Japanese singers at the time, as the modern Enka vocal style hadn't really been fully developed yet. 

Spoiler

Amano also plays guitar, and guitar-wise, he really seems to take influence from Yoshio Tabata, another famous Ryukoka musician from the 1930's. Both he and Haruo Oka are considered some of the most influential Enka and Ryukoka artists of their time. 

Spoiler

And for reference, here's a Guruguru Eigakan PV

Spoiler

Edited by AimiGen7