Zeus

"Inspiration" - where does music find it?

I may have already cited these things elsewhere but to make up for possibly farfetched statements about ripoffs and all that shite, I will disclose what I found out about non-Dir album/song lyric references...by Dir en grey of course:

Reference 1: Flying Lotus - Until the Quiet Comes (2012)

Where: "Revelation of Mankind" (2014), the last line screamed by Kyo

Coincidence or purely legit: Dir stans know that Kaoru "took the wheel" for penning and/or directing the most of ARCHE's songwriting process (credits are somewhere there, in our MH archives). Frankly enough, he also happens to be the most diverse person taste-wise, incl. downright admitting he is not always all about that metal and rock stuff - FlyLo is one of his fav "chill" artists as a case in point. So it is safe to say this is purely legit.

Reference 2: Anaal Nathrakh - In the Constellation of the Black Widow (2009) - "More of Fire than Blood"

Where: "Yokusou..." a.k.a DREAMBOX (2011), the slow growly part by Kyo during the 2nd freakout

Coincidence or purely legit: firstly, thanks @Jigsaw9for your tip! I tried quite hard to find and confirm whether Anaal Nathrakh came up with this title by themselves or were they inspired by specific title in literature, movies etc., but I could barely find anything similar to this phrase/titling before Anaal's said album. I have no proof nor interview-related reference which may 100% clarify that either Kaoru, Kyo or someone else  is into grim stuff akin to Anaal. They are somewhat industrial-oriented too, no? The title itself does not sound like something Kyo could just accidentally generate through his Yahoo translator or idk. 50/50, I think.

Reference 3: Billy Talent - Billy Talent II (2006) - "Devil in a Midnight Mass"

Where: "Gaika..." (2008), outro/breakdown - the last line screamed by Kyo.

Coincidence or purely legit: So far I've found out that the only event connecting them in the past was the Taste of Chaos tour around the same time when Dir met their midlife crisis in the wake of their 10th anniversary and American roundabout hassling.  Calling 50/50 'coz I just have no other idea... their influence might be plausible though!

Edit: the more I google their oddly "coherent" English lines from MOAB/UROBOROS songs, the more metalcore results I get from YT for some reason...

Edited by Alroy

^ Yeah, I remember googling that "more of fire than blood" line too, but haven't shown much outside of Anaal Nathrakh, haha. Would be cool if they were jammin' out to some Nathrakh. :D 

Also, I've been living under a rock and just noticed this:

deadman - intro for the "no alternative" album:

Spoiler

Nirvana - drum intro for song "Scentless Apprentice":

Spoiler

Seeing as how aie's style is hugely influenced by grunge as a whole, I wouldn't be surprised if they consciously made this little homage to Kurt & co.

To me, Xaa Xaa's Doushaburi no Kanojo sounds reminiscent of Kuroyume's "Under...", which in turn, gives off vibes similar to Spellbound by Siouxsie and the Banshees (Mostly due to the powerful and aggressive use of Acoustic Guitar~)

Spoiler

I'm not entirely sure Siouxsie influenced this specific Kuroyume song, but Siouxsie did have a very big influence on VisualKei, especially on the makeup. In fact, a lot of Kiyoharu's early makeup styles are similar to that of Siouxsie's. Plus, a lot of 90's Vkei has it's roots in Gothic Rock in general.

Though I have no doubt the Xaa Xaa song is definitely Kuroyume inspired. The composition just sounds very... 90's-y. It's something that's hard to explain into words. It's something you really just have to listen to. 

Under... itself is a very important 90's Vkei song. The electric guitar lines, both chorused and distorted, would become elements in almost every other 90's Vkei song, and it's distinct sound still resonates in Vkei to this day. 

Lin's "Metamorphose". The source of the synth parts is pretty obvious. The song is really good, but I don't know if the synth makes its part on the whole thing. I think it's a matter of getting used to it.

Where is the synth sourced from?

sinners was a band that as 3/5th Pierrot roadies and their music definitely reflects that.

Their vocalist is Junno (ex-boogieman, now DAV), and Maya from LM.C is one of their guitarists. Odd that he eventually ended up working with one of the guys his former band looked up to :spin: 

Also, I'm not sure if this really counts, but Saruin and LM.C both released a song called "bell the Cat" around the same time. Not sure if Saruin just covered them, or it was just an odd coincidence that both seemingly unrelated bands decided upon a jazzy song with the same somewhat broken English title.

This one is really obvious. There's gotta be a lot of these between Kuroyume and Dir en Grey.

maybe that's why Diru doesn't do anything to bands like Grieva. 

The full song hasn't been released yet, but we can already hear Slayer's iconic riff from Raining Blood in Mamireta's upcoming single

GossiP, in addition to their GazettE stuff, has used song concepts from their old band JyuLie in the past. 

夕暮れにリストカット sounds quite similar to お仕置の時間.

Also, the riff of いじめぼっちの鬼ごっこ is basically the intro to 19歳の春 transposed into a higher key (neither are on youtube.)

Spoiler

Early GossiP in general was basically just JyuLie without the traditional Japanese influence. I've seen many assume there was a big shift between JyuLie and GossiP, when they see what JyuLie used to look like, but by 2012, they started wearing Kimono less and looked more like the GossiP we know today. 

This Deshabillz song seems to have inspired this La:Sadie's song:

They're not total copies, but the main idea of the guitar melody is pretty similar. Kisaki produced bands have been "inspired" by Deshabillz on more than one occasion, so it's pretty obvious that he really liked their music.

I always thought ZON's Jellyfish was a hell of a song, really creative, until @JamesRpointed out how it was such a blatant copy of THE ORAL CIGARETTES's DIP-BAP:

I find it so funny how ZON had the balls to do such a rip-off in such a short time, like a few months after DIP-BAP release. I still love both songs, but If this isn't the proof that nobody cares about VK in japan, I don't know what is.

Edited by chemicalpictures

On 9/1/2018 at 1:22 PM, Peace Heavy mk II said:

Where is the synth sourced from?

sinners was a band that as 3/5th Pierrot roadies and their music definitely reflects that.

Their vocalist is Junno (ex-boogieman, now DAV), and Maya from LM.C is one of their guitarists. Odd that he eventually ended up working with one of the guys his former band looked up to :spin: 

Never heard of this band before, but the song definitely reminds me of Pierrot's Magnet Holic.

Is there material by them available somewhere, by the way?

Edited by seikun

Not the first time DEZERT took inspiration from something, but definitely an interesting case. Rather than sticking to the general Dir en Grey, Girugamesh, Mucc and GazettE inspiration, they decided to go with Guruguru Eigakan for ここにラブソングを。, taking the main verses from どん詰まりの唄, and the little part in between from 14歳の斜陽. I wish they did more Guruguru inspired songs because ここにラブソングを is a really addictive piece

Spoiler