Zeus

"Inspiration" - where does music find it?

The Gazette

Spoiler

seems taken from

Spoiler

Edited by blackdoll

This is probably the most nonchalant and tackiest rip-off I've ever heard. They don't even try to hide it. Wondering where Axl has been with the lawsuit all this time.

Thanks for reminding me I like Guns n Roses, and to start listening to them again.  Shit it's been a minute!

Been meaning to do this post for a while, but never got around to it. I just wanted to highlight how Yuuga, of Devil Kitty / DEViL KiTTY / GOKIBURI is basically the Taco Bell of visual-kei. For the non-american members here, Taco Bell is a fast food chain that basically takes the same ingredients and reforms them into different shapes and sizes to make a “new” product.

Since most people don't follow him as closely as I have, here's a breakdown of his bands in chronological (and color-coordinated) order:

~Bands he was in in high school that no one has the music to~ ---> Chateau La Tour ---> Kar'MariA ---> DEViL KiTTY ---> DEViL KiTTY / Deadly Sanctuary ---> Deadly Sanctuary / Solo Project / Ki=/=Ga ---> Retired ---> Unretired and started a session band named THE. ---> THE. becomes GOKIBURI ---> GOKIBURI / DEADLY (a revived version of Deadly Sanctuary) ---> Devil Kitty (NOT the same as the first DEViL KiTTY)

As a note, I will refer to the first DEViL KiTTY as DK, and the second as dk.

Knowing that, you'll begin to see how amusing this list of...eh...reusable musical components becomes.

"Smile"originally was released by Chateau La Tour and came in two distinctly different versions--a single and an album version (which is actually kinda cool and pretty rare for vkei). Here is the single version of the song that I've added to YT for you:

This later became:

Kar'MariA - 奇形の笑顔 (which sneakily means “Malformation’s  Smile” in Japanese ;o )

And again released as a cover by GOKIBURI, but renamed again to just be "SMILE." I have uploaded it to youtube here:

Next, let’s move onto a more famous song. DEViL KiTTY was arguably Yuuga’s most renounwn band as it was around the longest and released the most material. To the best of my knowledge, it is the only band to have revived more than once + release material at a revival live, and it had an unprecedented reformation in a the form of a band that used the same name but totally swears it’s something completely different (I’ll get to this later). Their most popular song, as indicated by both Last.fm plays and number of times it was released, is “Hello Katty.”

However, this song did not originate from DK--it actually started off as a song from Kar’MariA called “さよなら妄想ちゃん,” which roughly translates to “Goodbye Little Miss Delusion” in English. This song was released on a live distributed single at one of the band’s last lives and my guess is that this was just a demo version. The lyrics are different from the DK version and it only features one guitar, but the song structure and switches in time signatures remain the same. Because of that, I am going to infer that Kar’MariA released the demo version of this song and DK produced the real one.

“Hello Katty” was released on DK’s first album, on the Jukebox omnibus as a live track, and again on a later single. This song was then again covered by GOKIBURI under the name “痛い子ちゃん“, which was officially released as a live version as well on their first album Kurosuisei -G-. Although this features yet another name change, it seems to be pretty similar lyrically to the most popular version. The name is also a common lyric during the bridges of the song. I’m not entirely sure what the name means, but it seems like it translates to “sore kid-chan” (is this Japanese for calling someone “Butthurt?”). You may find the GOKIBURI version below.

Kar’MariA also released a song called “Yakusoku,” which is a pretty generic romantic 90’s title (it means “promise,” so). This song was later covered by GOKIBURI and distributed at a concert for free. I have yet to see this turn up in auctions.

After DK disbanded, Yuuga briefly had a small solo project. Much like GOKIBURI, this project was mainly a big tribute to himself. He did put out a good deal of new material with it, while also performing with side project Deadly Sanctuary, but his only full album is mostly cover songs. These songs include: 出愛隊 (DK), ホモダチの輪 (DK), セフレ。(DK), 覚醒剤のすすめ (DK), DQNなエセ麺カノ (DK), ヒルドラ (DK), 残骸残想残酷な貴方へ (Chateau La Tour), カツアゲ (DK), among a few others.

This recycling nonsense did not just strike with his first bands, however. While Yuuga was still hanging out with Kisaki and Yayoi on the Eternal label, he formed a side project with the latter called Deadly Sanctuary which, to date, has been his most lo-fi and punk-ish band to date. In that group, he released a song called “Deadly Circus” which was later rereleased under his solo project as the song “MK5.” GOKIBURI also covered this song, but they went with the 2nd name.

At this point, you may be thinking “Wow, did GOKIBURI even write music themselves??” The answer to that is “Sometimes!” This band’s history is easily broken up into two pieces: before and after Kizuto joined. Once this guitarist joined the band, GOKIBURI became much more death-core oriented in sound and began releasing original material at a much faster pace. However, the first half of GOKIBURI’s life was essentially solo project pt.2, except it was mostly self covers instead of new songs. These covered songs, aside from the few previously mentioned, include: 肉便器 (solo work), Love Waros (solo work), 蜜カノLOVER (DK), ROCKSTARの恋 (DK), Karma (DK), DQNなエセ麺カノ (DK), Cobra (DK), セフレ。(DK), ホモダチの輪 (DK), W to (solo work), and possibly some others as two of their singles’ tracklists are hard to come by online.

You know what would make this so much better? If Yuuga decided to make a new band, but picked a name he had already used! Sounds silly right? Except, he actually did and this for real happened ?___? . Now, a lot of people seem to consider DK and dk to be the same band. While they share a name, stylistically they aren’t that close (with the exception of their latest single). When the band formed, Yuuga also mentioned on Twitter that this was not a revival of his old band but a completely new one. Surprisingly, dk has not made any DK covers. According to his Ameblo (thanks @Uglymouthfor this), GOKIBURI was kind of a fun joke band for him to just cover himself while making money, where as dk is meant to be a return to srs bsns.

While no covers have been made by dk, they’ve done the next best thing. Originally, GOKIBURI was supposed to go major and become the next Dir en Grey, take Yoshiki’s 401k, duet with Mariah, etc, but they broke up rather abruptly before anything could actually happen (supposedly because of their 2nd bassist, but idk if that’s true). Before this happened, GOKIBURI had a whole mess of material played at lives that was never released. What better way to make use of those songs than to just release them as dk and act like they were newly written all along!! “Chlammy,” “I’m knot bitch,” “I am bitch,” and “2nd Virgin” are all GOKIBURI songs that just never made it onto a CD ~officially~ until dk formed and sold them under Rockstar Records. Yuuga left his joke band to form a serious band that just remade old joke songs, but seriously now.

While not a cover per say, thematically “Chlammy” is akin to Deadly Sanctuary’s “Suck my Dick!!” due to it’s centralized focus on falacio, or in “Chlammy’s” case, not receiving it in over 2 weeks. “Suck my Dick!!,” like other songs mentioned before, was released more than once but under two different names. On an early omnibus, the demo version of this song was named “奴の唄.”

TL;DR--

Generally, anything that Yuuga is in has some sort of recycled element to it. He's basically built his whole career off of 10 songs and ran with it. This was mostly for fun, and inspired by @inartistic's -AINs- post, but it is probably much less informative and harder to read haha. Color coordinating everything took a lot longer than I originally though too ;(

Edited by Peace Heavy mk II

Much less obvious, but Lapis Lazuli's "SaveR" has a few lines that are lifted from Gackt's "Nine Spiral." They aren't even on YT, but just something I noticed while checking them out.

Edited by Peace Heavy mk II

Kneuklid Romance released a song in 1992 called "Masturbation Myself Service" that was later re-recorded and turned into  the song "Lechery" with a new vocalist. The first video should feature Kami from Malice Mizer as the drummer, as an fyi.

i dont know if this counts but i wanna know about the drums in this alice nine song vs muse. sounds exactly the same to me but i don't know if that drum pattern is common or not so i can't say if they took it from the muse song.

at 0:22

1:21

actually now that i went on youtube to get the a9 video i saw people talking about stockholm syndrome in the comments! so i'm not crazy. good.

Edited by seurong

30 minutes ago, seurong said:

i dont know if this counts but i wanna know about the drums in this alice nine song vs muse. sounds exactly the same to me but i don't know if that drum pattern is common or not so i can't say if they took it from the muse song.

Kinda reminds me of My Chemical Romance too. Check 2:16

Not sure when the Muse and A9 stuff is from, but this one is 2005.

1 hour ago, seurong said:

at 0:22

1:21

actually now that i went on youtube to get the a9 video i saw people talking about stockholm syndrome in the comments! so i'm not crazy. good.

Alice Nine members (at least Shou and Saga - composers of this track btw) are avid Muse fanboys  - this also explains the similar concept of "song trilogy" behind GEMINI and the one Muse had in their 2008-2009-ish album.

(for reference: Alice Nine often mention U2, Muse, Number Girl, Luna Sea and some sophisticated brit acts akin to Underworld and so)

Edited by Alroy

Don't know if this has been mentined yet but I was checking out Arlequin's stuff (exploring newer vk) and I noticed something interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMwzUZWE30I    

Seems to be directly inspired by Versailles song,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_YERIyw794

Chords seem very similar to my uninitiated ears.

Gossip's new PV is a cringeworthy ripoff of GazettE's "zakuro gata no yuutsu", mostly the riffs in the chorus and the slow part after the guitar solo.

On 7/13/2016 at 3:46 AM, Atreides said:

Don't know if this has been mentined yet but I was checking out Arlequin's stuff (exploring newer vk) and I noticed something interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMwzUZWE30I    

Seems to be directly inspired by Versailles song,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_YERIyw794

Chords seem very similar to my uninitiated ears.

You are not the only one.

On 7/18/2015 at 10:50 AM, Zeus said:

I took a long break from this band after their disappointing debut but I'm pleased to find that this band isn't completely out of ideas yet. アルルカン needs a lot of help in understanding where the music they play and the way we perceive it intersect. This band would have much more effective singles if they focused on catchy, energetic rock or aggressive metalcore and less on power ballads with riffs that vaguely resemble Versailles' "zombie". If the track list were reversed, and "人形-ヒトガタ-" placed first and "道化ノ華" placed last, this would have easily gotten a whole star higher. It would have also signaled good things about their next full album.

On 23/07/2016 at 7:42 PM, jon_jonz said:

Gossip's new PV is a cringeworthy ripoff of GazettE's "zakuro gata no yuutsu", mostly the riffs in the chorus and the slow part after the guitar solo.

Exactly what I thought, in fact when I saw them live (unwantedly) I felt like i was watching the gazette's early 2000's stuff.

I will revamp this exact similarity/definitely likely case of plagiarism because there's something very LedZeppish in terms of credits (ha!):

This exact enka (?) piece by Ichiro Fujiyama (?) from many decades back has been actually HEAVILY SAMPLED/IMPLEMENTED as an overall theme to one of Dir en grey's "remixes" - WITHOUT any credits nor specific royalties aimed towards Fujiyama family - and this is way too obvious I tell you.

@Zeuswould definitely love to take this into account in case he decides to work on the next edition of "six similar..."-thread along with that very funny but cute Prince reference/tribute on one of the "latest" Carrygarry tracks (Thanks @Disposable for that btw)

Edited by Alroy

6 minutes ago, Carmelzors said:

I will revamp this exact similarity/definitely likely case of plagiarism because there's something very LedZeppish in terms of credits (ha!):

This exact enka (?) piece by Ichiro Fujiyama (?) from many decades back has been actually HEAVILY SAMPLED/IMPLEMENTED as an overall theme to one of Dir en grey's "remixes" - WITHOUT any credits nor specific royalties aimed towards Fujiyama family - and this is way too obvious I tell you.

@Zeuswould definitely love to take this into account in case he decides to work on the next edition of "six similar..."-thread along with that very funny but cute Prince reference/tribute on one of the "latest" Carrygarry tracks (Thanks @Disposable for that btw)

You already know this in the works right @Carmelzors? :)

On 7/29/2016 at 2:18 PM, saltofstones said:

Finally figured out why the main riff sounded so familiar.

Spoiler

lifted from

Spoiler

Omg  ewwwww that band belongs in hell with Galeyd...... Only Lycaon Can do Lycaon. yuck

On 7/23/2016 at 2:42 PM, jon_jonz said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Why am i hear ayabie, was aoi a ruki fanboy?

Edited by blackdoll

Bump. This is not musical, but worth noting nonetheless ( also helps that I was tremendously amused by noticing this just a few minutes ago )

Kyo ripping off Marilyn Manson's Antichrist Superstar stage gimmick. The moves and the podium are exactly the same.

If I recall correctly: Manson had started doing it in 1996 and the footage from this video is from February 1997. The Japanese tour leg of Manson's apparently begun in March of 1997, so in that case either they had seen footage beforehand, ie. meaning that deg were fans, or they both ripped it off from the same source. This is really 1:1 though, so I find quite unlikely that there's any other explanation other than Kyo appropriating it after having seen it on tape. 

I'm sure some people remember this, but there used to be this western made clip about visual kei on youtube, where a guy interviews Dir en grey ( iirc macabre era, based on the outfits ) and asks about a possible Marilyn Manson influence, which the Dir en grey members being interviewed strongly decline - one which just happened to be Kyo. 

Other huge visual kei bands to have ripped off Marilyn Manson were, iirc: Phobia, The Gazette ( possibly multiple times ) and D'espairsray. There must be many, many others that I don't recall off the top of my head. 

Edited by Disposable

Girugamesh's influence spreads far and wide - I found another one

On 11/3/2016 at 8:39 PM, helcchi said:

killaneth literally sampled girugamesh. Sel'm also sounds similar too. Here are the 3 songs in comparison