Sign in to follow this  
Peace Heavy mk II

[Prog Metal] Dream Theater

Dream+Theater+DT5.jpg

I find that people either love or hate them. People I've met in person seem to love them, and people on the internet seem to hate them. Then again, the whole point of the internet is to complain about things irl that you can't change and to steal software / intellectual property.

Favorite songs by them:

"Honor Thy Father," "The Shattered Fortress," "Panic Attack," "These Walls," "Overture," and a couple other instrumentals. I haven't listened to them in a while.

I'm saying the same thing in real life as on the itnernet: Train of Thought is a 6/10 album, the rest I find extremely boring.

I'm also one of those who found it hilarious when Mike Portnoy left the band, seeing as how he was the leader and the main songwriter. He wanted a break, the others didn't, so he left. And I'm curious about this: will he continue playing in Avenged Sevenfold, or will he stop? Is it just session, or is it permanent? I am so curious to find this out cuz it would have been hilarious if he left DT for AS.

As far as i know he will indeed continue as the drummer of Avengend Sevenfold and some other projects. If i recall correctly, he even said AS is more fun than DT so he decided to leave his old band.

I really like some of DT's stuff, Train Of Thought and Images & Words being my favorites. Imo James is really an amazing singer, especially in their older works his high notes were incredible. But well, i don't think they will ever be the same without Mike.

I see. Thanks for the info. He said he wanted a break for a year or so, but none of the others wanted so he had to leave.

And LaBrie ain't that good live anymore. He's really far off most of the time, and when the other guys are backing they're totally off as well. It's not too pretty, to be honest.

Yeah, unfortunately i have to agree. He can't hit those high notes properly anymore and i'm not sure if it's because of his age or because his voice is damaged - i guess it won't be the latter since he always had a pretty good technique, voices just change over time and some vocalists get worse if they don't recover with singing lessons.

Oh, I didn't know he left, I thought he was just going to be a support member. It'd be interesting if he actually joined A7X since he's one of my favorite drummers o:

I agree even though he'll look like their dad.

i rather Mike make a rival band to DT like Megadeath (which way better) than LaMetalicca :P

anyway on topic, DT is a good band and enjoyed them.

They sounds like melting pot of many genres to me. I don't know why people seems to hate them on www, but i suppose that just empty flaming/trolling.

I don't know how DT will become without Portnoy,

will have to wait and see before decide whether to stick with them or not.

Oh, I didn't know he left, I thought he was just going to be a support member. It'd be interesting if he actually joined A7X since he's one of my favorite drummers o:

I agree even though he'll look like their dad.

I believe one of the guitarists used his father a support guitarist when Avenged Sevenfold started before they found someone else...who was younger. So that wouldn't be the first time xD;

I have quite the thing for Forsaken (I plan to vocal cover it here soon) but really haven't fully discovered them yet.

I have quite the thing for Forsaken (I plan to vocal cover it here soon) but really haven't fully discovered them yet.

It takes a very long time to fully appreciate a lot of their work. Their discography is pretty big, which is intimidating to start listening to, and a lot of their songs are 15~25 minutes long, which is double intimidating D:

Ive been about as big a DT fan as one can be since Octovarium, and have most of their catalog. That said, I have yet to have the opportunity to see them live (though I have a few DVDs), and I cannot stand the new album, far too synth-atmosphere for my liking.

I was really getting into their aggressive stuff from Train of Thought up, and do appreciate their epic Prog from 6 Deg back. However BCSL set the bar high on both aspects, and DTOE really sunk that feeling to me, along with being the first album without Portnoy at the co-helm.

Dont think I am going to be a fan of Dream Theater 2.0...

Did they release an album after Black Clouds and Silver Lining? I haven't really followed them since their drummer became the support drummer for Avenged Sevenfold. I heard an apparently new song on satellite radio recently and thought it was pretty terrible since they wanted to make it an acoustic pop-rock song.

Anyway, I didn't really like BCSL except for the Shatter Fortress. That song is great because it takes all of the awesome parts of their whole 14-step (10 step? 7 step?) suite and puts them into 1 song, even if the end kind of deteriorates.

Yeah, they lost the founding drummer/producer/2nd writer of over 25 years. In his place in Mike Mangini, a talented, if flamboyant, guy who taught at Berklee for a while.

Real trouble is after Portnoy left, the keyboardist took over, hence the heavy synthpop sounds. New album is called Dramatic Turn of Events. Its the first one in a long time I dont plan to get.

The 12 Step suite spanned a few albums, giving all the parts to Shattered Fortress. I also loved Nightmare to Remember and Count of Tuscany on that album. But the bonus CD of covers was really a gem too!

I finally got a chance to listen to their newest album: I actually liked it a lot since it was kind of fluffy. Some songs were absolutely boring, like "Far From Heaven," which I actually heard on satellite radio and hated, and "Beneath the Surface." I did really enjoy a lot of the long songs, though.

Also:

Av2OaPEnsnI

FFFFF DIMMU BORGIR ALL OVER AGAIN SFALSEMETALFALSEMFETALFAFFFAFAASATANN

Sign in to follow this