CAT5

Post your "UNPOPULAR" music opinions!

Hmm, Kuroyume wasn't the only band that inspired other bands or that inspired what we now understand by Kotekote, regardless of the discussion about the term.

Oh oh oh I have one!

Most Western GAKKIDO fans didn't give two shits about that band until the vocalist died. Then suddenly everyone was like OH MY FUCKING GOD! And had to jump on the tragedy bandwagon. I remember a lot of the VK groups I lurked on Livejournal never had any topics about that band but when they had that accident, suddenly requests for music, scans, blog translations. Now I'm not saying they didn't have any western fans but it was considerably noticeable how their fanbase on the internet ballooned after the news of the car accident.

RIP whatever his name was but the internet scramble to be the biggest GAKKIDO stan was gross.

Well no shit Piko's death was widely reported on many Japanese and vk news sites. It's only obvious that there would be a sudden surge of people willing to give them a listen and of course some of those people were bound to like what they heard. There is no difference in discovering them this way than any other way imo

I hate this "I knew them first than you did!" shaming that a lot of (indie) music fans do.

I'm referring to the circlejerk over Piyo's death. The people that didn't know who he was and suddenly have to be the biggest drama queens over it. Similar to the Hide fans that make a big deal about him every Hide birthday anniversary when they've only been a fan of VK for less than a year.

I really can't understand some people around me even said bands overseas like Black Veil Brides or Cinema Bizarre are VK too...

They're just glam rock band okay?

Make-ups make a band called VK?

I don't think so.

Then what about black metal bands?

I never heard of someone called Behemoth a VK band...

I'm referring to the circlejerk over Piyo's death. The people that didn't know who he was and suddenly have to be the biggest drama queens over it. Similar to the Hide fans that make a big deal about him every Hide birthday anniversary when they've only been a fan of VK for less than a year.

ah okay big misunderstanding there then~ :s 

I don't like what MIYAVI has done to his career. I mean he is very talented, no doubt about it, but someone who is so skilled and ends up becoming so commercial thus average and boring is like throwing your talent to the rubbish basket. I never liked his solo career much, I prefer his job in Due le quartz by faaaaar, but there were quite a few interesting songs and sounds when he started his solo career.

He has all the right to do whatever he feels he needs to do, even if it is just to gain experience (which I think is not), but I needed to spit this out. :lol:

I really can't understand some people around me even said bands overseas like Black Veil Brides or Cinema Bizarre are VK too...

They're just glam rock band okay?

Make-ups make a band called VK?

I don't think so.

Then what about black metal bands?

I never heard of someone called Behemoth a VK band...

The easiest way to tell whether a band is VK is by their record label. This industry is actually controlled by certain record labels (and their sub-labels). I am not saying this is good or bad. This is the way how this business works in Japan (might not be the same in the '90s or '80s but the fact is that this industry is constantly evolving). Some VK bands actually don't wear that much makeup or exaggerated costumes. Some VK bands have gone non-visual over the years especially when they have gone major. Sometimes even non-VK j-rock or even pop bands are more "visual" if you look at their PVs, not to mention some of the anime/doujin bands/singers who are pretty "visual" too. I've heard anime or doujin bands being called VK too by some Western audience but this is arguable. An obvious example of this is Ali Project. Although one can't deny the VK influence on some anime/doujin music, I don't think Japanese people will call those anime/doujin/gothic lolita bands VK. VK bands are VK not only because of their looks or because of the music genres they play (they can play from metal to alternative to pop), but also the demographic they are marketed to, and the "scene" they belong to. VK is exclusively a Japanese movement. Foreign bands can't be VK no matter how much a poser/imitator they can be. And no, black metal has nothing to do with VK.

I don't listen to the bands you mentioned but wasn't glam rock something from the '70s or so? But it can have a revival. Who knows? It's not like Western rock hasn't seen any revival yet during the last decades. BVB is not the first Western band that wears makeup. There are some other Western bands today and from the '90s that wore makeup too (Placebo and some bands from the punk or metal scene). Nobody called them VK when VK had not been widely spread to the West in the 1990s and early 2000s (at least I didn't hear any). I guess most of those who tend to label Western bands VK that are very young. Keep in mind that Western bands that influenced old-school VK were not only glam rock and '80s metal, but also '80s goth rock bands that wore makeup (the Cure, Siouxsie and the Banshees, etc). Post-punk and New Wave bands influenced them too, only musically, not on looks. Think of Buck-Tick and Mana's bands, you get what I mean.

sadly it's more easy to relate vkei with the embarrassing emo and scene kids(ok i understand it. you are 13 years old that's why)
than with metal, punk or gothic etc. this comparison personally annoys me.
i never understood why i find visual kei bands attractive. although funny .
but scene and emo embarrassing or ugly .

i wanted to write that in the other thread.with seremedy
you can put black clothes and make up and look amazing but for other people when they do it. they just look so ugly. it doesn't look good always in everyone . it depends.

i like genres too .they are very useful when you know the genres you like and you want to find more similar bands.!!!
but it's annoying when people get obsessed with genres. and put like 10 subtitles .

("this is dark-wave-post-punk- electronic-hardcore  with melodeath elements  ) or invent new detailed subgenres for no apparent useful reason and then are fighting who has the best knowlege .( mathcore, Shoegaze etc really people? although it made me lol)

(or this is neo-classical death metal" "NO FUCK YOU .you are wrong .this is not neo-clasical death metal")

sadly it's more easy to relate vkei with the embarrassing emo and scene kids(ok i understand it. you are 13 years old that's why)

than with metal, punk or gothic etc. this comparison personally annoys me.

i never understood why i find visual kei bands attractive. although funny .

Are there still emo and scene kids? I thought they were so 2005? XD

I don't find all visual kei attractive though. I never find old-school visual kei bands' looks attractive, even given my age. As to today's visual kei bands, some look good but some can be done badly and embarrassing. I am sure Japanese makeup techniques have improved significantly over the years. Just read their fashion magazines and you will see.

Kameleo have terrible outfits/looks most of the time. But I find some of their PVs very funny even if I don't like their music . If they can be funny and entertaining, I don't mind their looks. I am not singling Kameleo out. They are defnitely not the worst looking visual/oshare kei band out there. There are some bands that just look ridiculous for no reason. And they are not even funny.

Apparently Neo Visual Kei is popular (to an extent) in Japan, but it fails to be succeful enough among western Visuak Kei fans...

How do you explain Neo VK bands touring more frequently in the West today?  You didn't get that much old-school visual kei touring at all. Though most bands still don't tour or do lives in the West, you get a fair amount and that's already "successful" enough for bands from another country and culture/language. You don't need to have U2 level of success to be considered successful. Visual kei is still a niche after all.

How do you explain Neo VK bands touring more frequently in the West today?  You didn't get that much old-school visual kei touring at all. Though most bands still don't tour or do lives in the West, you get a fair amount and that's already "successful" enough for bands from another country and culture/language. You don't need to have U2 level of success to be considered successful. Visual kei is still a niche after all.

Simply because old schoold Visual Kei got a massive ammount of fans from abroad when the internet spread across the world. Before then not everybody had access to even know there was something called Visual Kei.

The easiest way to tell whether a band is VK is by their record label. This industry is actually controlled by certain record labels (and their sub-labels). I am not saying this is good or bad. This is the way how this business works in Japan (might not be the same in the '90s or '80s but the fact is that this industry is constantly evolving). Some VK bands actually don't wear that much makeup or exaggerated costumes. Some VK bands have gone non-visual over the years especially when they have gone major. Sometimes even non-VK j-rock or even pop bands are more "visual" if you look at their PVs, not to mention some of the anime/doujin bands/singers who are pretty "visual" too. I've heard anime or doujin bands being called VK too by some Western audience but this is arguable. An obvious example of this is Ali Project. Although one can't deny the VK influence on some anime/doujin music, I don't think Japanese people will call those anime/doujin/gothic lolita bands VK. VK bands are VK not only because of their looks or because of the music genres they play (they can play from metal to alternative to pop), but also the demographic they are marketed to, and the "scene" they belong to. VK is exclusively a Japanese movement. Foreign bands can't be VK no matter how much a poser/imitator they can be. And no, black metal has nothing to do with VK.

I don't listen to the bands you mentioned but wasn't glam rock something from the '70s or so? But it can have a revival. Who knows? It's not like Western rock hasn't seen any revival yet during the last decades. BVB is not the first Western band that wears makeup. There are some other Western bands today and from the '90s that wore makeup too (Placebo and some bands from the punk or metal scene). Nobody called them VK when VK had not been widely spread to the West in the 1990s and early 2000s (at least I didn't hear any). I guess most of those who tend to label Western bands VK that are very young. Keep in mind that Western bands that influenced old-school VK were not only glam rock and '80s metal, but also '80s goth rock bands that wore makeup (the Cure, Siouxsie and the Banshees, etc). Post-punk and New Wave bands influenced them too, only musically, not on looks. Think of Buck-Tick and Mana's bands, you get what I mean.

yeah, I know what you meant. so, we can't judge a band whether it's VK by its genre. VK isn't a music genre at all. It's only a commerical propaganda.

and I know BVB isn't the first one, the early black metal and glam metal bands also did so, like KISS.

and glam metal is developing too, it's not the presentation of 70's or 80's, there're also modern glam metal. As I know, the 70's or 80's glam metal is called hair metal today.

In general, make-ups are only a method to let people know them. Bands are bands, not cosplay groups.

Cosplay with music isn't a band.

Here comes another problem around me.

Some of my friends are -core music lovers like me.

And they can't understand why -core bands do make-up like Nocturnal Bloodlust.

Though they're awesome.

But they think make-up is the way to attract female fans so that they're "fake" bands.

I don't think so of course.

Simply because old schoold Visual Kei got a massive ammount of fans from abroad when the internet spread across the world. Before then not everybody had access to even know there was something called Visual Kei.

That Internet boom time was when Neo Visual Kei just started to develop. It was not yet as popular and varied even in Japan. However, today most of the visual kei bands that tour or do lives in the West are Neo ones. I guess they gained the benefits? I mean, bands like LM.C toured in the West while having nothing in common with old-school bands. If there's no audience, they won't go to the West.

There are only a few old-school bands that do this too provided that are very big and not yet disbanded. Most of the general public will probably see them with no much difference from pop singers having a show in the West.

In general, make-ups are only a method to let people know them. Bands are bands, not cosplay groups.

Yes, makeup is a method to let people know them or to attract audience. I personally see nothing wrong with it. Sometimes bands can do it really well in terms of complementing their music with looks and why not let them? There are always those who do it well and those who don't, and those liked by people and those not liked, when many are doing it. This is not limited to visual kei bands if you have watched enough J-rock/pop PVs. These PVs are entertaining and nice-looking. Why not produce more? Even Western pop singers such as Bjork's music videos are so "visual".

This is what you have to deal with when you are a public figure - 13 year-olds calling you "fake" and such. You can't please all the people all the time. I am sure most bands know about this when they start a band. It would be too naive to start such a band with makeup, etc. without mentally preparing for/not caring much about that. Nocturnal Bloodlust is a visual kei band. That's why you probably shouldn't lump them together with Western whatever-core bands. The context of Japanese music is totally different from the West.

kids?? I thought they were so 2005? XD

i don't see them anymore too. but the stupid bands are still here and the point is noone will take you seriously if you remind this look.i couldn't explain it better. i think you get my point.

(btw i wasn't talking about the neo visual kei. i was talking about that seremedy new band thread. that i am bored to find and i should have wrote that there.i don't understand in neo visual kei even ridiculous sometimes i find them attractive  . but when white people do it ,like that seremedy dudes. i think it's ugly.plus the music sucked.so it depends it doesn't look good always)

@Akc-Hrm

ugh metal audience are one of the most difficult to please and make them take you seriously if you are a band .

i don't see them anymore too. but the stupid bands are still here and the point is noone will take you seriously if you remind this look.i couldn't explain it better. i think you get my point.

(btw i wasn't talking about the neo visual kei. i was talking about that seremedy new band thread. that i am bored to find and i should have wrote that there.i don't understand in neo visual kei even ridiculous sometimes i find them attractive  . but when white people do it ,like that seremedy dudes. i think it's ugly.plus the music sucked.so it depends it doesn't look good always)

I can still talk about some VK bands even if I think some of them don't look good. As to those white people, I don't even want to talk about them and don't care at all. :/

My unpopular opinion:

I don't like the GazettE.

(or has this become a popular opinion? -haha-)

I don't like them either but I think some people *hate* them to just try and overcompensate how true indie VK they are and just simply because they're popular.

I mostly mean the fans that rant about how awful they are but then go listen to MEJIBRAY or some other copy pasta band and rave about how amazing and original they are.

I don't like them either but I think some people *hate* them to just try and overcompensate how true indie VK they are and just simply because they're popular.

I mostly mean the fans that rant about how awful they are but then go listen to MEJIBRAY or some other copy pasta band and rave about how amazing and original they are.

This basically. I see so many MEJIBRAY fans on tumblr go like "eww I hate the GazettE Tsuzuku is so much better than Ruki" while they're basically just listening to a band whose main vocalist is a huge GazettE fan and therefore also incorporates ideas from said band into his music (I wouldn't call MEJIBRAY plain copy-pasta on ALL their songs but I get where you're coming from) and then act like this.

Also people who say they don't like the GazettE because of the fandom. Disliking a fandom is no reason to dislike a band.

This basically. I see so many MEJIBRAY fans on tumblr go like "eww I hate the GazettE Tsuzuku is so much better than Ruki" while they're basically just listening to a band whose main vocalist is a huge GazettE fan and therefore also incorporates ideas from said band into his music (I wouldn't call MEJIBRAY plain copy-pasta on ALL their songs but I get where you're coming from) and then act like this.

Also people who say they don't like the GazettE because of the fandom. Disliking a fandom is no reason to dislike a band.

I mostly just like to knock MEJIBRAY to get at their hysterical fans but I agree not every song is a Gazette cover but there's plenty that are or just heavily influenced by Gazette.

But also agree that the argument that you dislike a band because of the fans is pretty poor excuse to not like something because you want to be a unique snow flake. If I disliked a band because of the fans I wouldn't be a fan of Visual Kei then since I dislike most VK fans.

This basically. I see so many MEJIBRAY fans on tumblr go like "eww I hate the GazettE Tsuzuku is so much better than Ruki"

I am not fan of both bands but tend to agree with this. XD. I can stand Mejibray's vocalist's voice better than Gazette's. I don't care who's the copycat because I am not interested in those bands at all. I am just speaking purely from the perspective of which lead singer sounds better to my ears. Yet I understand people can like so and so vocalist just because of their uniqueness. This uniqueness can put some people off (and I am one of those some people). A lot of very big (or not that big) Western rock bands still have lead singers' voices that put some people off. You can't do anything about that. It's just that most of the time the people who don't like them are silent, unlike these fangirls. There's no point arguing who's better. It's actually who you like better. Teenagers/crazy fangirls have nothing else better to do but fighting online. They are always like that. *shrugs*

I don't like Dir en Grey - this is probably an even more "unpopular" music opinion. I mean, they are so "big" and cult-like on the scene. But whatever, I don't consider myself part of the "scene". I don't care they are big or not. I just never like their sound.

I think One Ok Rock is crap. They don't even make good and listenable pop. I don't understand why they get praised by so many people and why people treat them like they are the next big thing. OK, I understand if these fans are 13 year-olds who missed the era of early to mid-2000s Western "emo" band boom. The obnoxious-sounding lead singer seems to be the one praised by these fans most (lol). Conclusion: they need this type of music for their teen life. You can't blame them.

I could go on and on about these unpopular music opinions...

from what I've read, well especially on here, I have concluded that this may be an unpopular opinion

I really liked The Gazettes Division, especially the second disc I think? Not 100% sure since I got the regular one so.... on that the first few tracks feat. GazeStep. Not a huge fan of the slower songs on the second half (or first disc??? so confusing man) II get halfway through the slower songs and then I just switch off. Some of them I really like but it begins to trail off towards the end
And a lot of people have regained a tiny bit of hope in them since Beautiful Deformity, but I listened through it once and...not since. It just didn't catch my attention at all and I can't even remember how any of the songs went. I'll probably listen to it again to *ahem* confirm this >< or not... you never know

actually that's a lie... I remember the guruguruguru bit in the notquitesurebutsomethngaboutaninsect song xD