CAT5

Post your "UNPOPULAR" music opinions!

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 7:01 AM, Zeus said:

then THE BLACK SWAN which is the closest we've ever gotten back to that sound IMO. I actually think Jin is trying to get there all on his own again and he's doing much better than I thought he would.

I beg to differ. This would what that would sound like adding in modernization 

I post because the vocalist and band had chops from day one. The vocalist has skills and know how to use them unlike...... and  its creative to mix old school style with yohio style imo. 

Edited by blackdoll

1 hour ago, blackdoll said:

I beg to differ. This would what that would sound like adding in modernization 

I post because the vocalist and band had chops from day one. The vocalist has skills and know how to use them unlike...... And the its creative to mix old school style with yohio style imo. 

But Jin IS the sound of Nega. I could never imagine them without his nasal, off-key vocals. It's so unsettling it adds to the creepiness and dread of their atmosphere, and them losing their gothic side and transitioning to metalcore did them no favors. The goth metal of Nega's early days like on "illegitimacy" is one of the few sounds Jin's vocals work in. Metalcore is not, and NEGA's last train wreck of an album is proof why. THE BLACK SWAN works to put some of that goth flavor back into the metal, but there's also some metalcore bits that stick out like a sore thumb in the form of curious composing choices. But what is this new band? I like them.

And what is YOHIO style?

On 7/15/2017 at 6:12 PM, TheZigzagoon said:

Namaatatakai ame to zaratsuita jounetsu' is the best song on the album

this & ganges ni akai bara are the two best songs The GazettE's ever done & nobody will convince me otherwise

18 hours ago, blackdoll said:

its creative to mix old school style with yohio style imo. 

Old school style: Yuuki (Ambrozia - last dance), Kon (la'mule), Kyoka, S's and The Piass's vocalist

Yohio style: How Yohio sounds singing, (Feel free to replace Yohio with who ever he was (is?) emulating because you hate him for???) 

BTW Karma (avelcain) sound like Sui Metis Gretel era not ^. The whole having your tongue out while your singing was never ^ thing.

Edited by blackdoll

17 hours ago, diryangrey said:

this & ganges ni akai bara are the two best songs The GazettE's ever done & nobody will convince me otherwise

I'm not as big a fan of Ganges ni akai bara, it is good tho :)

cocklobin is DANGEROUSLY underrated like even im guilty of forgetting they exist occasionally but the second i listen to their songs i realize just how fuckin' popping they were and i cry about how iori was robbed with femme.

coil is so good like i can' t believe they did that...i wish i was in the fandom at the time it dropped so i could see everyone's reactions (i hope y'all were screaming for art kei christ)

D'espairsray is the most unjustly lauded band in the scene curiously with next to no detractors.

Started out as a fairly generic band of the times that made one decent EP before essentially making it a career playing vk's brand of linkin park for about four albums. They always looked terrible too, either ruining theoretically fine vk looks by mallgothing it too much or just giving up entirely and looking like l'arc en ciel jr later on. Their last album is the fucking pits.

and as a personal note, I've started to dislike hizumi's voice despite really being into it when I got into vk. 

edit: I decided to listen to in vain a little bit and it's... it's fine I think. For what it is. So it's not that they were obnoxiously horrible, but that they're regarded as potentially a top 10 vk band and coll:set a classic is absolutely ridiculous to me.

I refuse to take anyone seriously who thinks this is even passable 

Edited by Disposable

^ I had that song p a i n f u l l y stuck in my head some time ago and I COMPLETELY forgot who made it, oh god!!!

anyway the weirdest d'espa thing I can recall to date is how readily their fangworls flooded the internet with †_x_des amateur romans erotique_x_† about dudes who arguably were the definition of unfortunate looking out of the entire scene at that time.

I miss their indie singles and am kinda sad no one really picked up the same style they departed from upon getting the first food stamp cheques from universal or w/e thrown them a major contract bone.

I also think a big part of their following was due to them actually putting out 🔥🔥🔥live performances. hizumi legit forced consistently losing their breath and choking on spit bijuaru chanteuses to eat his dust ~en concert.

Edited by nekkichi

honestly, everything up to coll:set at least was rather decent. things started to go downhill FAST after that.

3 hours ago, Tokage said:

honestly, everything up to coll:set at least was rather decent. things started to go downhill FAST after that.

So even MIRROR was that bad?

The last album I liked from them and preferred over Coll:set (never understood the massive hype, sorry) was REDEEMER due to its otherwise consistent yet surprising diversity (i.e. not just trying to fanboy MM during each and every rocking number) for a vk band of that time.

KAMIKAZE is still one goddamn banger, and even this:

Along with Lizard...

Makes me miss them even more.

Edited by Alroy

Mirror is like 50% hell yeah and 50% dreck, there's some banging tracks on there for sure but I feel like the first signs of 'sterilizing' their sound became visible roughly during that era

※ MIRROR is my favourite D'espairsRay album, fite me all of you

※ REDEEMER was their last good album [2]

※ I don't really care for MONSTERS, some of the tracks on that album are incredibly bad!

REDEEMER also has one of the most glorious openers on the band's discography imo. The live version is pure joy. 

Edited by Visutox

early d'espairsray in the context of its time was amazing, like no old school dicking bands were making shit that fucking dark and sexy n GRRRRRRR

but tbh i agree with the thickest, most opaque pair of rose coloured glasses placed on the band past MIRROR, but TBH the cringe started then and smoothed out with redeemer before FLARING tf up after.

18 hours ago, Disposable said:

Despairsray is the most unjustly lauded band in the scene curiously with next to no detractors.

Started out as a fairly generic band of the times that made one decent EP before essentially making it a career playing vk's brand of linkin park for about four albums. They always looked terrible too, either ruining theoretically fine vk looks by mallgothing it too much or just giving up entirely and looking like l'arc en ciel jr later on. Their last album is the fucking pits.

and as a personal note, I've started to dislike hizumi's voice despite really being into it when I got into vk. 

Ya know, speaking as someone whose tastes lie chiefly outside of VK...I think there's always been an element to D'espa that sounded distinctly non-VK...and even non J-rock to an extent.  Your Linkin Park comparisons kinda give a bit of credence to those claims on it's own. But Hizumi's voice...it definitely had a VK tone to it...but his delivery seemed sharper and more...controlled? than a lot of VK vocalists I've heard. He also had a kind of "pizazz" to his delivery that I thought stood out. I don't think I can properly articulate what I mean, but hopefully you kinda get what i'm hinting at.

Also, the production quality for [Coll:set] was stellar, but I definitely wouldn't say it was typical of VK or J-rock as a whole. [Coll:set] was pretty densely layered (maybe even overproduced), but also had a really punchy quality to it that I could only poorly describe as "western".

So in a way, I can see why you'd want to dismiss them add exclude them from the VK canon, but for those same reasons, I think that's why I've always been fond of them.

Mind you, I pretty much stopped caring about their work post-2006. REDEEMER was somewhat "redeeming" tho.

You can tell there actually aren't that many unpopular opinions in this thread, because the second you actually post one it turns into a page long polemic within the span of a single day :lleft:

@CAT5 I agree. Their alt-rockiness feels more western and direct, and it's something they took straight from the source to fit their own sound and concept, and not like how it usually works in vk where you get the western influence second-hand by looking up to a domestic band. I also don't think there's a vk band that sounds like d'espairsray, so that's something.

RAN OUT OF POSITIVE THINGS TO SAY i can't even listen to stuff like maverick these days. I immediately get this mental image of whatever comes up when you google "fishnet goth"

Kouki from ダウト (D= out) is painfully underrated as a singer. 

Yeah I know, he's nasal as fuck. I hated his voice at the start too, but people get put off too quick and don't give him a chance. His voice can melt butter and make grandmas fall in love again. It's beautiful. 

REDEEMER and MONSTERS would have been better if you turned each into a mini album and then combined them together. Some people's opinions have become more positive of the last two albums but my headcanon has D'espairsRay firmly disbanding at 2007. Even in my post about bands I missed, I made it very explicit that I don't care about anything post-MIRRORS like at all. There are some cuts on REDEEMER I like, but the entire album reeks of lack of anti-depressants fueling the music much like MUCC's sterile Houyoku sounds like the audio equivalent of disinfectant wipes. Pop never suited D'espairsRay and while people are allowed to grow and address their problems it should not be at the expense of their music. The B-sides for REDEEMER hinted that they know how to write metal (Cocoon, Bullet, Scissors) but the album was missing the juice. And then I'm not going to mention how much they hyped up "electronic effects" that were supposed to be a new feature of MONSTERS and then only the first track had it and the rest of the album was considerably less electronic than [coll:set]; which by the way [coll:set] is a fucking classic and if you can't into it i am genuinely sad for you.

1 hour ago, Platy said:

Kouki from ダウト (D= out) is painfully underrated as a singer. 

Yeah I know, he's nasal as fuck. I hated his voice at the start too, but people get put off too quick and don't give him a chance. His voice can melt butter and make grandma's fall in love again. It's beautiful. 

Agreed. Once you get used to his voice you really start to love it. Also I think he made some progress over the years.