CAT5

Post your "UNPOPULAR" music opinions!

"A band's first album isn't automatically their best, in fact, it probably sucks compared to the rest of their disco."

Unpopular because about 75% of the time I meet fans of bands I like, they always say their first albums were the best, like it's just an automatic, understood thing.

Now, this is not exclusive to the J-fandom, I've observed it loads in Western music before I ever got into Japanese stuff.  But I've never gotten it.  Why does everyone parrot that the first album is omg the best ever and then they totally sold out desu desu one one.  I can name so many examples: D'espairsRay, MUCC, 12012, Gazette, Meth (for them it was actually their first single or something really stupid), L'arc (lmao) and on and on.  Me personally, I very rarely find any band's debut to be their best.  In fact, far from it.  Kinda like a writer's first novel is usually shit personified.  I don't mean first published, I mean actual FIRST.  Bands grow, bands get better at what they do and the same generally goes for every art form.  Some of them DO have uncommonly good debuts, but that is the EXCEPTION, not the norm.

You are not extra edgy or indie for liking their first album THE BEST, thereby providing some kind of unsaid proof that you've liked them since ~forever~

I think it might be because it displays the band's sound at its purest? I dunno, i'm with you on this. I've listened to a lot of 9goats Black Out recently and although their first EP is great, their first album is only ok. Calling is ridiculously perfect in comparison. Higher production values and a change in sound aren't always a bad thing!

"I don't like the GazettE because of the fans."

Response of the Zess: You're stupid. Anyone that lets the actions of other people determine whether or not they can enjoy a band isn't focusing on the music. Bonding over liking a similar artist is an attractive draw to liking a certain band but it shouldn't be the only reason why you like a band. It's entirely possible to like the GazettE and not step foot in the shoutbox or a GazettE tumblr ever. I do. As of this writing, they are the fifth most played band on my last.fm. Separate the fans from the music.

This also goes out to the people that act like the GazettE never has made good music and is the symptom of decay in the visual kei scene. Shut up. I know you listen to them with the scrobbler off so don't front.

Oh and if for whatever reason you feel like somebody will judge you for liking the GazettE (or any band) get off last.fm and dismount from your high horse. That's a sign of neurosis. If you actually knew how few people looked at your last.fm or cared about what you listen to, you wouldn't care at all. If anyone ever DOES judge you for listening to a band you like, tell them to go play in traffic.

I agree, I say the same about Dir en grey as well.

If you're a fan of visual kei, you need to at least listen to Dir en grey. Whether you're an oweld skewel fan, an indies only fan or just a general fan of Visual Kei. Dir en grey's influence on Visual Kei is just undeniable. Blocking them out of your life you're doing yourself disservice because you are failing to see how this one band really shapes Visual Kei into what it is today.

And at the end of it all, if you don't like Dir en grey that's fine. Yet not listening to them because you dislike the fans or being too mainstream is a really bad reason to avoid this band or any band for that matter.

I'm with Miyuu on this one; how on earth does Mejibray sounds like The GazettE?!

I'll just leave this and this here.

I think too many people are treating VK like it's too 'mainstream', to the point where successful groups are apparently making it worse for the industry. Like "ew The GazettE are popular now so I can't possibly like them. Oh noes, Dir En Grey is reaching out to a wider fan base and they can now play in my country".

Stop ruining it for everyone else; VK is about supporting the bands you actually like and enjoying the music. People tend to want their favourite band to stay indie forever so then that way they can sort of own them; they don't want other people to know about them because that probably gives them less to talk about to their hipster friends or whatever. I don't get it; why wouldn't you want your favourite band to succeed ?

Unfortunately I cannot find the article and I won't do it any justice paraphrasing it. Yet there's an interesting study that talks about this very thing you're bringing up. Basically it all falls back to some embedded survival mechanism in all human beings. However since we're no longer that paleo hunter gathering society. It's sort of lost relevance to our survival but the instinct still exists. So now in a society that basic needs can be met the only thing to make you the alpha of the herd is holding exclusive information others do not have. 

God damn it I wish I could find it but it's a great and fascinating read. It basically breaks down and explains this psychological need for people to hoard and retain exclusive knowledge and it's part of exerting your dominance to the herd. Since you can't just beat up the other guy for that stick of meat or tell your bestest buddies your secret location that has all the sweet food only you and a few get to eat. Instead it's over more useless petty things like music and TV and anime and whatever. I mean, it also details about how in current society, information is so easily accessed, that people also have this drive to find rarer and more difficult knowledge to obtain.

I have to run but I'll see if I can dig through hundreds of useless Facebook and Twitter posts of mine to see if I can find it. Yet the whole thing is pretty cool.

I'll just leave this and this here.

Just because one, or two songs of the band sound similar, it doesn't mean their whole music sounds the same. Tsuzuku is a fan of Gazette, so of course the music can be influenced by what he listens to, but you shouldn't judge the whole music because of two songs. Yes, two of them sound similar because of female vocal in them, but the rest don't.

Like... does http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTgLs9PDq7Q'>this song really sound like Gazette to you? Because to me it totally doesn't, lol.

Guest mitsubana

I love Jupiter.

This is my unpopular opinion. If you were a fan of Versailles from the beginning, it's understandable as to why you may not be happy with Jupiter... It's Versailles with a new vocalist---a vocalist that isn't Kamijo and is young and has a lot of maturing to do in his singing. I respect that. I've been that way with my favorite bands.

But I am different from these fans... I always enjoyed Versailles' music, but I personally couldn't stand Kamijo's singing (he has a nasally singing voice, in my opinion, which can be bad or good...bad in my case), and that's what kept me away from Versailles. I was never a fan of theirs. Once Jupiter formed and released their first single, I fell in love. I prefer ZIN's singing (it sounds clear, doesn't sound nasally, and he can sing well in my opinion). And from their lyrics so far, it seems like they're aiming for songs with philosophical/religious undertones which interests me. I'm looking forward to what they'll bring in their full-length album.

Whether Jupiter is a temporary project or becomes permanent, I will be grateful for a "Versailles band" that I could enjoy.   

I dislike a lot of the mainstream bands because of their sound, not because they are popular.

A lot of VK hipsters will say 'Oh i liked them before they were popular' (i.e. gazetto vs. The GazettE) 

Idgaf when they came out who's in t he band or what the fuck ever, If they sound good, I like them. If they suck...then they suck.

But, its all a matter of opinion on who the listener is and whether the music is to his/her tastes.

I love Old dir en grey, but not new diru because I dislike the fact that its basically screamo.

I like a few old gazette songs but on the whole theyre just meh to me, and i have been attacked so many FUCKING times by stupid fangirls trying to avenge their goddamn senpai.

But yeah :/ thats all.

I hate it when some people say most Visual Kei bands play(ed) crappily (sorry I couldn't think of a better word (lack of vocabulary)). I completely disagree. I think most bands both from the past and current bands play quite well. There are always musicians who need more practice, but most play quite well.

Visual kei gets a bad reputation because visual kei fans can't talk music

Yes. This. D:

Problem is I'm one of those people and feel ashamed for it. Describing music, especially in English is really, really hard for me.

I'll try and practice from now on. The oldschool-fraction's reputation I'm apearently part of is already bad enough. D :

One more unpopular opinion:

Wataru Miyawakis voice is great. He is one of my favorite vocalists and while everybody is whining 'Recent 12012 is shitty because Wacchi sounds horrible' I actually think that his voice is (and has always been) really powerful and emotional. I think the reason why recent 12012 sucks is because the concept is boring and not original.

I don't know who started that unnecessary hype on the Gazette, but i'd like to hurt him/her. The Gazette are bad. Yes, they are. Shitty, wrecked and without quality. As soon as the vocalist starts...ahem..singing, my intestines feel like they're imploding. Sorry for that troll rant, hating the Gazette is very unpopular, but at least i'm honest about it.

I like them so I think it's pretty unfair to say they lack quality. Originality maybe, but not quality. At least you have the balls to be honest about NOT liking them though. 

Fair play, sir :)

I don't know who started that unnecessary hype on the Gazette, but i'd like to hurt him/her. The Gazette are bad. Yes, they are. Shitty, wrecked and without quality. As soon as the vocalist starts...ahem..singing, my intestines feel like they're imploding. Sorry for that troll rant, hating the Gazette is very unpopular, but at least i'm honest about it.

I totally agree on this.

There are so many other bands that people just really dont give a fuck about and should be getting a lot more recognition

instead they gravitate to the ones its 'easiest' to like.

which is all bullshit imo...

Just because one, or two songs of the band sound similar, it doesn't mean their whole music sounds the same. Tsuzuku is a fan of Gazette, so of course the music can be influenced by what he listens to, but you shouldn't judge the whole music because of two songs. Yes, two of them sound similar because of female vocal in them, but the rest don't.

Like... does

really sound like Gazette to you? Because to me it totally doesn't, lol.

Well DIE KUSSE it isn't just because there's female vocals. The rift, the song structure, the R&B hiphop opening and just the whole thing is basically pulling a Grieva. DIE KUSSE is the most obvious but other similarities lie with songs like Worms and My Devil on my Bed. I know the dude likes Ruki and is inspired by them which is cool, everyone is inspired by something or someone. Yet when people deny they don't "borrow" heavily from Gazette must be in denial, it's like Grieva fans denying Grieva and their redo of every Gauze era song ever.

I love Jupiter.

This is my unpopular opinion. If you were a fan of Versailles from the beginning, it's understandable as to why you may not be happy with Jupiter... It's Versailles with a new vocalist---a vocalist that isn't Kamijo and is young and has a lot of maturing to do in his singing. I respect that. I've been that way with my favorite bands.

But I am different from these fans... I always enjoyed Versailles' music, but I personally couldn't stand Kamijo's singing (he has a nasally singing voice, in my opinion, which can be bad or good...bad in my case), and that's what kept me away from Versailles. I was never a fan of theirs. Once Jupiter formed and released their first single, I fell in love. I prefer ZIN's singing (it sounds clear, doesn't sound nasally, and he can sing well in my opinion). And from their lyrics so far, it seems like they're aiming for songs with philosophical/religious undertones which interests me. I'm looking forward to what they'll bring in their full-length album.

Whether Jupiter is a temporary project or becomes permanent, I will be grateful for a "Versailles band" that I could enjoy.   

I'm still waiting for my single to come :C

Yet I know I'll like it but I'm also looking forward to Kamijo's solo. I agree with your sentiments towards him and his performance in Versailles. I  mean in some songs he was fine but he really brought down their music and just didn't fit with the kinda music Versailles performed. I think his solo material will be great, especially since he's teaming up with fellow Frenchaphile vampire Mana, it'll definitely be something cool.

Which leaves HIZAKI and Teru to go off and do all the cool things I love about them.

So basically we got two good releases coming up, why is everyone so bitchy about it?

:headbang:"IT IS A TRAVESTY WHEN VKEI BANDS TONE DOWN THEIR VISUALS" :headbang:

I had to use a fucking Gaia Online widget site to make that text, so you know I mean it. I honestly get really upset when I try out older, god-tier vkei bands and look at their old pictures and see how fetishy they looked at one point, and their most recent pictures are pretty much regular Japanese guys, maybe one with auburn colored hair and one having blond, in street clothing. One of my biggest appeals with visual-kei is the visuals: I live for frilly, neon hair, guys who can't paint, feathers, bloody bandages, useless face belts, hooker stockings, 8 inch Hot Topic boots, naziploitation, and unnatural eye colors. To an extent, I do feel that there is a lot of creativity that can go into stage costumes, and it is a damn shame that there isn't more effort put into visuals in an artistic sense, instead of "our frontman is blond and we have a trappy bassist so we are vkei ok." Obviously as the scene has become more streamlined, there are typical styles and ~*~visual shock~*~ approaches that are going to be repeated over and over, but that isn't to say that one day someone else will share my stance on it.

Take Malice Mizer, for example, They took visuals and theatrics to the extreme to accompany their music. Versailles, to a lesser extent, did as well. As did groups like Raphael, Lareine, Missa, and listenable Diru. However, groups like Penicillin, Pierrot, Luna Sea, Kuroyume, and Rentrer en Soi all mellowed out as time went on. I get that Hakuei no longer wearing having flowing red hair in a pvc g-string is going to appeal to a larger audience, but that doesn't mean I have to be fucking happy about it. Due Le'Quartz is the biggest offender here. Their outfits were stellar, and then they ended in 3 piece suits with cigars and sun glasses. MYV, put those bat wings back on and cut this shit out.

This all stems from my appreciation of androgyny. I do find being gender ??? to be artistic, not only in vkei but in other art forms as well, and find the elements of visual-kei costumes that shroud the band members' humanity to be fascinating. That's why I really don't care about finding pictures of Mana without makeup because I can already tell that home girl needs Adobe's help.

my unpopular opinions are

That the vk scene still produces good, interesting new bands & music.

And it's annoying when people who say they love oldschool vk only know about the low budget, low talent goof kotekote bands and act like well produced major label pop VK just didn't exist in the 90's at all despite it being the kind of stuff that was actually relevant and popular at the time. Every kote stan can list 500 bands off by heart who existed for three minutes and released an awful demotape or two, but there's an entire portion of 90's VK that was actually legitimately good but has been completely swept under the carpet in favor of grainy tapedeck recording, EINZ ZWEI DREI VIER and tappa tappa black metal drumming.

Not saying that stuff is bad but geez, it's like saying you like a certain kind of food but only if it's made with as little culinary skill as possible, and of the cheapest nastiest ingredients possible.

Guest mitsubana

Well DIE KUSSE it isn't just because there's female vocals. The rift, the song structure, the R&B hiphop opening and just the whole thing is basically pulling a Grieva. DIE KUSSE is the most obvious but other similarities lie with songs like Worms and My Devil on my Bed. I know the dude likes Ruki and is inspired by them which is cool, everyone is inspired by something or someone. Yet when people deny they don't "borrow" heavily from Gazette must be in denial, it's like Grieva fans denying Grieva and their redo of every Gauze era song ever.

I'm still waiting for my single to come :C

Yet I know I'll like it but I'm also looking forward to Kamijo's solo. I agree with your sentiments towards him and his performance in Versailles. I  mean in some songs he was fine but he really brought down their music and just didn't fit with the kinda music Versailles performed. I think his solo material will be great, especially since he's teaming up with fellow Frenchaphile vampire Mana, it'll definitely be something cool.

Which leaves HIZAKI and Teru to go off and do all the cool things I love about them.

So basically we got two good releases coming up, why is everyone so bitchy about it?

I hope your copy of "Blessing of the Future" arrives soon! I personally really enjoy it. 

It is a dismay a lot of fans are upset with Versailles' members working on their own projects. You have two bands you can listen to that are Versailles-rooted. I personally was never a fan of Kamijo, but I bet his solo work will (hopefully) show off his talent and what he wants to do musically. Maybe this new single will change my opinion of him, and I'll end up buying it haha. 

my unpopular opinions are

That the vk scene still produces good, interesting new bands & music.

And it's annoying when people who say they love oldschool vk only know about the low budget, low talent goof kotekote bands and act like well produced major label pop VK just didn't exist in the 90's at all despite it being the kind of stuff that was actually relevant and popular at the time. Every kote stan can list 500 bands off by heart who existed for three minutes and released an awful demotape or two, but there's an entire portion of 90's VK that was actually legitimately good but has been completely swept under the carpet in favor of grainy tapedeck recording, EINZ ZWEI DREI VIER and tappa tappa black metal drumming.

Not saying that stuff is bad but geez, it's like saying you like a certain kind of food but only if it's made with as little culinary skill as possible, and of the cheapest nastiest ingredients possible.

D=sire counted in German too tho

And it's annoying when people who say they love oldschool vk only know about the low budget, low talent goof kotekote bands and act like well produced major label pop VK just didn't exist in the 90's at all despite it being the kind of stuff that was actually relevant and popular at the time.

I think the reason pop bands from that era are very underrated by your typical 90s fan is because those 90s fans don't like this era because it's old but because they can find something there that they can't find today anymore. And that is usually the gothy parts.

For the most parts I think they do know what the scene back then really looked like.

Unfortunately most VK-Pop-fans aren't interested in that era because they can find good pop bands from today and don't bother to look up the old stuff and that's why lots of succesfull bands are hardly ever mentioned.

And I actually... didn't make the experience that 90s fans generally go crazy over the super obscure kind of bands. Of course that type of fan does exist. The one that always dig out the crappiest of all demotapes to feel different from everybody else.

But those fans are just part of VK fandom (and surely other fandoms, too) for every era! Even now there are people raving over that one live limited cd of that one super minor band with only 3 fans.

In fact I think that among the western fandom the most popular 90s bands are the major bands that show lots of darker colours such as Luna Sea, Dir en Grey, Malice Mizer, Buck Tick and Kuroyume and the borderline famous indies bands of the late 90s that could fill big halls and propably could've gone major, like Dué le Quartz, La'Mule, Aliene Ma'riage and Madeth Gray'll.

I get that Hakuei no longer wearing having flowing red hair in a pvc g-string is going to appeal to a larger audience, but that doesn't mean I have to be fucking happy about it.

...But doesn't he still wear that kind stuff?

In the newest picture I saw of hakuei he was wearing those weird underpants with spikes on his crotch and I'm pretty sure he's also still wearing his red pvc uniform. Also Chisato suddenly turned super visual over the last 3 years or so after spending the whole 90s dressed in skater fashion.

Yes, but it doesn't mean their all music sounds similar and when someone says that some band is similar to another one, they mean their most or all songs sound alike, not just two. I never denied these two are similar. I even like these songs, Tsuzuku's voice is much better than Ruki's.

nazisploitation

OMFG, yes! It may be an unpopular opinion (because some people are extremely touchy about this topic), but I totally love vk bandguys in nazi uniforms! It was pleasurable for the eyes to see San from NEGA in such an outfit, I wish the whole band did that... That's one of the newer examples, but I wish they could do it more often.

In the newest picture I saw of hakuei he was wearing those weird underpants with spikes on his crotch and I'm pretty sure he's also still wearing his red pvc uniform. Also Chisato suddenly turned super visual over the last 3 years or so after spending the whole 90s dressed in skater fashion.

Yes! Hakuei still dresses up a lot, like in Litchi Hikari Club, for example. I also remember these spiked pants, I laughed at them xD. He's amazing to keep looking so young and crazy at his age :)

"A band's first album isn't automatically their best, in fact, it probably sucks compared to the rest of their disco."

Unpopular because about 75% of the time I meet fans of bands I like, they always say their first albums were the best, like it's just an automatic, understood thing.

Now, this is not exclusive to the J-fandom, I've observed it loads in Western music before I ever got into Japanese stuff.  But I've never gotten it.  Why does everyone parrot that the first album is omg the best ever and then they totally sold out desu desu one one.  I can name so many examples: D'espairsRay, MUCC, 12012, Gazette, Meth (for them it was actually their first single or something really stupid), L'arc (lmao) and on and on.  Me personally, I very rarely find any band's debut to be their best.  In fact, far from it.  Kinda like a writer's first novel is usually shit personified.  I don't mean first published, I mean actual FIRST.  Bands grow, bands get better at what they do and the same generally goes for every art form.  Some of them DO have uncommonly good debuts, but that is the EXCEPTION, not the norm.

You are not extra edgy or indie for liking their first album THE BEST, thereby providing some kind of unsaid proof that you've liked them since ~forever~

I actually do like the first release(s) of many bands. Note the -s, its not always the first release, but often the first releases.

I actually think the reason behind that is that bands have all the time in the world to write/work out their debut- but only 2 months to write the follow-up. Or whatever, their third or fourth, when they get signed.

Don't get me wrong as this isn't always the case, but there's so many bands of which I prefer the earlier stuff to the later stuff. That's not because I want to be a hipster or vndergrovnd, but because that's the sound I fell in love with, and sometimes bands change their sounds to something I personally don't like at all, sadly(here's to Mucc and all those others).

Guest mitsubana

I actually do like the first release(s) of many bands. Note the -s, its not always the first release, but often the first releases.

I actually think the reason behind that is that bands have all the time in the world to write/work out their debut- but only 2 months to write the follow-up. Or whatever, their third or fourth, when they get signed.

Don't get me wrong as this isn't always the case, but there's so many bands of which I prefer the earlier stuff to the later stuff. That's not because I want to be a hipster or vndergrovnd, but because that's the sound I fell in love with, and sometimes bands change their sounds to something I personally don't like at all, sadly(here's to Mucc and all those others).

In my opinion it depends on the band. Some bands I prefer their older music to the newer, but I still enjoy the newer usually. Other bands I feel like getting better with their new releases, develop their sound, and improve the overall quality of their music.

-Now that i've listened to VK, everything else in the world is craptastic-

Just no. VK is amazing but there's also a lot of crap; the same goes for all music. Just because VK is exotic and different, it doesn't make it superior by default.

I hate it when people say that ALL Western music sucks because it simply doesn't. Plus, where do you think most VK gets its influences from?

Both sides of the world have good and bad music...although VK has a much higher percentage of good bands to me :P

Strongly agree with this post, there's a reason the earliest releases for some bands tend to be the best, or at least, the most interesting. Besides the obvious - having all the time in the world to write the music and refine it as opposed to having the pressure on to produce something worthwhile in a set amount of months - there's also the aspect of what appeals to the general public, and pressure to conform to it. With the first releases, bands are often going into the creative process without anything to relate to, and thus can create music solely for their own ideals sake, rather than feeling the pressure of a large/growing fanbase to make something that will appeal to the core fans, and still dillute the message enough to draw in more people. 

As stated, MUCC is a perfect example of this saddening phenomena, on the other hand, there's bands like Dir en grey who just keep getting more interesting and more experimental, so its certainly not a rule but rather a pattern that is noticeable in a lot of bands.

I'll probably get shot for this, but now that there's a thread for these I'm going to give it a try anyway.

I simply do not understand people who claim they love MEJIBRAY for the vocals. That is mainly because in my ears the vocalist sounds awful. I know there are two kinds of awful, as in "I don't like the sound of his voice or the way he uses it but technically he can still sing" and then there's the "there are so many things wrong technically that it just sounds like shit" option. For me, MEJIBRAY's vocalist falls in the second category. His screams are awful, his regular vocals are weak and usually can't carry the music and he's out of tune about 99% of the time. Like I said, I'm probably going to get some angry replies to this but this is MY OPINION. I'm not stating it as fact, nor am I trying to shit on your favourite vocalist/band. I just can't listen to him.

also guys hating on Gazette is so 2007. Idk I'm not even a Gazette fan but I feel like quite some people hate on Gazette because it's popular to hate (while actually listening to tons of indie versions of Gazette themselves, GOTTA RAISE MY INDIE-CRED).