CAT5

Post your "UNPOPULAR" music opinions!

I honestly don't mind BabyMetal musically but I cannot stand them for what they are. Which is basically everything to not like about idol groups in general: they, the idols, don't take part in music production but is spotlighted as the artists anyway. 

This is likely to be unpopular among Nightwish listeners: their latest album was bad and by far the worst they've made so far.

I really like HIM's 2009 album and some songs off of AFI's Crash Love. Come @ me.

I assume you mean HIM's 2010 album Screamworks? Anyway, I don't think those opinions are unpopular because both albums were generally well received.

This is likely to be unpopular among Nightwish listeners: their latest album was bad and by far the worst they've made so far.

I assume you mean HIM's 2010 album Screamworks? Anyway, I don't think those opinions are unpopular because both albums were generally well received.

Was it 2010? But yes, that's the one. I recall both albums being flooded with reactions like "wow why can't they be like razor blade romance / art of drowning still?????" and still do get such reactions. I didn't enjoy everything off of Crash Love, but "Torch Song" is one of my favorite songs by AFI. Actually, I've yet to see someone not complain about either album.

I have another unpopular opinion. Expect rant.

Mainstream music marketed towards pubescent girls isn't any worse than other music you don't like.

There is a whole culture (especially on the internet, but also in other media and in real life) devoted to and putting lots of time and appearently research into hating on anything made for female teenagers and it highly irritates me.

I mean solo artists like Justin Bieber or boygroups like One Direction and even certain visual kei bands. Movies like twilight and many Boys love manga belong into the same category and also get the same treatment!

Things that work because 13 year old girl's romantic and/or sexual fantasies about 'pretty boys', essentially.

There is no other demographic which is nearly as bashed as them. Not even a tiny bit.

As I'm no 13 year old girl I find no appeal in those things either but I don't have the need to judge it's fans at all. Because of my different enviroment I never get in touch with their music taste, except for people bitching about it. I don't get this: if you don't like it, don't spend time on it. Like you do with every other genre that isn't made for you but doesn't threaten you either.

I'm also not interested in things marketed towards 60+ ladys or 4 year old boys and still don't think I should spend my day with hating on it and the people who enjoy it. It's also not a common thing to do. So why do it with teenage girls?

Teenage girls freak out and scream and throw their underwear (?) during some boyband concert where it doesn't bother anyone because only other teenage girls are present?  -People declare the girls hysteric and out of their mind and the band horrible.

Grown men freak out and scream and throw beerbottles after some sports event in public where outsiders will be bothered?-

People are like 'boys will be boys' and still take the sport very serious.

I'd even go as far as to say that when some artist has many young girls as fans it kind of devalues his work to many. This is sad!
Young girls aren't all stupid. Actually many are already more mature and educated then their male counterparts.

Maybe it's because of our cultures sick obsession with young girls sexuality and that it's frightening for us to see them directing it at something we don't like...?

Either way. I just don't get this.

^ I agree to you, but then say that I can totally understand the people who dislike people like Justin Bieber. Yeah, hating on him with an obsessive passion, stating in every discussion, forum and under every youtube video that he sucks is really shitty and stupid behaviour. But I can totally understand everyone who is seeing him and any "artists" in his vein negatively. Why? Because this guy is a rude, attention seeking fuck who doesn't even give a single shit about his fans. He treats his own fans like trash or objects and yet expects every 11 old girl to love him unconditionally. He is marketed to be a nice guy, a dreamboy, which he isn't. You can transfer this basically to all popstars and groups created or supported by the industry.

Also I guess it's also the fear of adult people that young girls and boys are manipulated by musicians to become machines whose only purpose is to give the music industry more and more money. I don't know how much truth this actually holds... but if you look at some really rabid fans than I'd still start to worry. I believe this is one of the main reasons the Kpop fandom is so highly disliked, because some of their fans stick out as they are just batshit crazy.

But then, in my opinion, Visual kei isn't so different from Kpop. Vk guys too wear make up, are fashionable, well dressed and cute, beautiful boys. They might play different types of music, but a lot of vk music too is your standard pop music.

What annoys me the most about fans of any "oh so exotic because asian" music is, that they feel like the most unique, hip and anti-mainstream shit. And no, you are not cooler than the average Lady Gaga listener because you like Kpop. You are not more individual because you think "all western music sux" and you listen to oh so brutal Visual kei Metalcore. You are just really not having a better music taste in general just because you listen to any asian music.
There is really nothing more asshole-y than stupid music hipster pretending to be cool because "hey look, I like Bischual Keeeh. That msuic is so much more better and creative than all western muzic and the artists also look fucking sexey (omg hot azns) and not like ugly hairy europeans!! I am so cool, rite?"

Pop artists work hard to keep doing what they're doing, some of them are very good dancers, they also have to be on diet to look great, because everyone tracks their every move, so they have no private life. I think the problem is how the teenage girls behave, most people make fun of their riddiculous behavior. If someone is just a pop fan who really likes the music, then they should listen, but if some girl keeps talking to me only about her idol and does riddiculous things, it's starting to be irritating and bothersome.

Justin Bieber is another thing, he's just a dick, lol. His fans are also riddiculous, they cut themselves for him, there's something wrong with them. Pop idols for teenagers should be a good example for them, because they're still growing up and they need to learn from someone.

I agree with how the hate-cult is overblown in comparison to others when it's something that's a "thing" among young girls  like Biebertwilight and co. and that they are the butt of every joke stems from culture among other things, but that doesn't make the said products any less of pure pandering filth. In a perfect world sporting events and comic book movies get the same treatment and will hopefully be culled altogether.

As for the topic: 

I really don't think shoegaze is all that it was made out to be during the short fad from a year or so back - I like My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive and some other big names. The others on the other hand have rarely been more than sooo dreamyy white noise that's about as exciting as listening to forest sounds for 10 hours on Youtube.

I only like metal from the Extreme-Metal lineage coined by the kvlt intelligentsia - From Judas Priest to Obscura by Gorguts and then all the things I like about metal more or less fizzled away for good. The recent wave of retro fetish bands hasn't done anything for me with most bands sounding like tricked out metalcore or just plain cannon fodder in general. 

This and that - Old The GazettE up to Disorder is excellent for what it is, I really like some Animal Collective releases, old Slayer and Immortal are more than meets the eye, first Absurd album is pretty good, Autopsy isn't very good, old Behemoth is nice and so on. 

I go to Pitchfork and don't think it's any worse than other review sites out there and in many respects it's miles better - " Baww hipsters. " 

I have another unpopular opinion. Expect rant.

Mainstream music marketed towards pubescent girls isn't any worse than other music you don't like.

All of the hate towards that kind of music is completely justified. An artist loses all of his/her integrity when they create fastfood that is disposable after a short period of time.

All of the hate towards that kind of music is completely justified. An artist loses all of his/her integrity when they create fastfood that is disposable after a short period of time.

Well you do have to remember that even though WE think it's crap, there are still people who like listening to that kind of stuff (I know enough people who probably don't know any better), but we shouldn't be dicks to them for liking it. It's another story when they're being dicks to us for not listening to their precious radio music, but to most of these people music isn't as big a deal as people who don't listen to mainstream music. I guess we have a stronger connection or need for music, at least, that's how I experienced it.

If people enjoy something stupid it doesn't make it less stupid. I'm not trying to claim superiority or anything but shit is shit regardless of who likes it ( I like some shit and some would say I like a lot of it ). 

It's not a crime, but a crying shame if people decide to not to explore the treasures humanity has created over the years, and I think that it speaks volumes of those who settle for less while being fully aware what is out there. Fuck all this about "taste", when it's more like a comfort zone and an excuse to avoid effort. 

I never said it wasn't crap, lol (because it is). There's nothing wrong with criticizing the music but as long as you aren't being a major dick to someone about what they like then it's all good. It's inevitable that you'll judge someone for it, even in the slightest way. "I think that music is crap, how can he/she even like this?", and even when it techinically is shit I guess someone's always going to like it in some way. So I guess this isn't really music-related, but just the general rule that you should avoid being a dick as much as possible.

If people enjoy something stupid it doesn't make it less stupid. I'm not trying to claim superiority or anything but shit is shit regardless of who likes it ( I like some shit and some would say I like a lot of it ). 

It's not a crime, but a crying shame if people decide to not to explore the treasures humanity has created over the years, and I think that it speaks volumes of those who settle for less while being fully aware what is out there. Fuck all this about "taste", when it's more like a comfort zone and an excuse to avoid effort. 

I agree with this, but I'd say part of the problem has to do with trends, age and environment. I mean if someone listen to lousy or questionable music all the time, they'll have a hard time figuring out what they're listening is bad, if they've never actually heard good music. I think this is also when age comes into play. I think as most people mature, their music tastes do as well. They discover new genres, new sounds, new bands, old bands, etc and it starts to reflect the quality of the music they listen to. Which is why sometimes people have that moment when they go " I can't believe I used to like XX band or song, they suck." 

Luckily for me, I never had something like that happen. I stand by everything I listen to, but as I matured over the years, I did start to appreciate and enjoy other genres that I would have not when I was younger. 

Then the other important factor is how a person discovers new music. They either have to be active in listening to new or different music, or be exposed to new and different sounds through their environment or another person. But if neither of those things ever happens, then I guess they're stuck listening to "crap" music.

I also agree with sai, about not being a dick to people because they like something you don't.

Oh man, I'm not even gonna get into this. I'm not talking about the legitimacy of VK being metal or djent or any of that. For the most part I do agree with your post but that's not what I was really talking about. My initial post is mostly tongue-in-cheek, while I still don't agree that BABYMETAL is a metal band I'm also not being all BLARG METAL RAWR and slamming my face in my keyboard over it either.

Actually, that part and the following ensuing rant wasn't directed at you, but was just me venting to no one in particular about some of the frustrating things I see in the metal scene. But I do see you're point about the members of BABYMETAL.

On to another topic. 

I actually have no problem with pop artists having other people write their music for them. Back when I first discovered this, it sickened me and I was even disappointed in some pop artists I enjoyed. Now I really don't mind it as much. In fact some pop groups and artists I Immensely enjoy practice this, but at least they make good music. I see no harm in a artist who can sing, but may lack the skills in composing msuic hiring someone to do it for them, or having a songwriter, producer or whatever seeking out someone who wants to perform their music. The pop stuff I really can't stand is the soulless bland stuff that's usually on the radio. I think I despise those songs twice as much because it's just bad music and it wasn't even made by the artist pushing it.

I do have tons of respects for pop artist who don't do this and actually write/compose their music or at the very least collaborate with a producer and make some sort of musical contribution. 

yah lolol I kind of mistook what you were saying thar sai ( although while you weren't a pop apologist entirely, the starter of this particular topic was if I understood correctly ). Still, just saying what Des said just now many would consider being a dickish if it was on last.fm and etc.. I agree that "THE DISLIEK BAR IS THE SIZE OF JUSTIN BIEBERS DICK!!!11" is just dumb and wrong. 

To elaborate further: Yelling "YOU CAN'T LIKE THAT" to a 7 year old girl will not get her to change her mind ( god knows I've tried that with my sister ) so taking it as a crusade of sorts with immediate results is a waste of time, but I'll never give them the impression that what they are doing is all good&okay. Improvement happens when people start thinking about what they are doing, and their feelings shouldn't be protected.

@Pandabear 

I thought about age, but the amount of adults that like KISS and Rammstein ( lol opinions ) makes this a concern that spans the entire demographic, making TwilightBieber is just a fraction of the whole issue. I also don't think that "good" art is somehow hidden. It gets promoted everywhere from schools, magazines, cultural references on the telly to national holidays for some particular artists. People know the classics, they just don't watch, read nor listen to them. 

Maybe I need to correct myself a bit.

I didn't want to point out that justin bieber or whoever actually makes quality music because I don't know. I never actually listened to the stuff I mentioned!

It's mere examples and if that guy for example really is that bad of a person on top of his music that's a reason to dislike him indeed and it was a bad example.

I just noticed that absolutely everything marketed towards female teenagers by using their 'pretty boy'-fantasies is regarded as the worst by many people and bashed in a way that's totally out of proportion. And that therefore young girls liking something already means that it's shit to many people. Or the girls are shit and not to be taken serious.

To me that's very weird.

The things are marketed towards them. They are told to like it by society. Many end up liking it for whatever reason. They are told that they suck for liking it.

That kind of mechanism.

The things are marketed towards them. They are told to like it by society. Many end up liking it for whatever reason. They are told that they suck for liking it.

That kind of mechanism.

Society? As in heteronormativity with pink for girls and blue for boys that has conditioned them to like it? I can't think of much else

I don't think the hate is that big of a phenomenon outside of the internet where it's done mostly by young guys that are just bored more than anything else, so sans heinous sexist agenda. These same people often also hate "guy" music too from Marilyn Manson to Pantera depending on the person. The worst of "girl" music is just so freaking bad it unites the peoples in unadulterated haet. An example of something getting so totally trashed by the internet that it rivals the Twilight's is the Transformers series, in which case people have unrelentingly thrown shit on the fans and people involved alike. 

Irl however like In schools and such the people who like this stuff are a vast majority, and their parents keep giving them money to consume it until the kiddos discover cigs and cheeseburgers. I really haven't seen the hate expand beyond the internet where it's mostly apparent in places like Youtube that are cesspools anyway. 

I love many songs by Billy Joel. I know some of it can be sappy and romantic, but I some of the songs hold some meaning for me.

HOWEVER I fucking can't STAND the song "Piano Man." 

I think when I first heard it, I thought it was pretty interesting but now I'm sick of it and it just pisses me off. I say this is "unpopular" because almost  everyone I know starts making dramatic orgasm noises every time it comes on the radio and then start going on a rant about how music was so great back then. It's. Not. The. Only. Popular. Song. With. A. Fucking. Piano. In. It. 

Society? As in heteronormativity with pink for girls and blue for boys that has conditioned them to like it? I can't think of much else

Well yes. Maybe society is not the right English word for it, but I couldn't think of a better one.

As in the tv shows and magazines (are there still 'teen' magazines?) For this age group is full of it. And once it's established in a group like a school class everybody has to like it. At that age you are punished by your peers for liking something different from the norm. Take that plus the fact that a sense of taste has to grow (they were listening to children's music before. How could they develop a grown ass taste in music over night.) And you have a reason apart from 'they are dumb.'. (Or that it's actually good. But that would demontage your arguments altogether.)

Whatever reason.

I still think that there is no valid excuse to spend time on bad music just to make anybody miserable. And that in this case it's so extreme it just CAN'T be about just not liking the music anymore. And that's what's irritating about it.

Fair enough and I agree on the part about kids being kids, however the bulk of the fandom is also made by those from the age of 16 to mid-twenties and most likely these are the biggest consumer base too with more money to spend, but that's beside what you're saying. The topic was twisted so much from the original post I had to read it again lol.

However I still think you're seeing sexism where it is not more prevalent than in other aspects of life ( where it still is alive and kicking, but then we are going way beyond music ). What I think causes the huge backlash is just that how stupid and pandering "that" part industry has gotten. I don't think either Lisztomania, Beatlemania or even the Chi-Lites attracted even the fraction of the hate despite all involving mostly females. So with that said I think there are to major factors here, one of which is the internet where people can say what ever they've always wanted to with next to no consequences and the other being the quality of the products themselves. What people say and most importantly hate can still make a difference in good and in bad, emphasis on can. 

My Dad to this day hates the Beetles but that's because he has an older sister that was swept up in Beetlemania and so he had to endure the whole thing to the bitter end through her.

I think a lot of the angry little boys mad about Bieber have sisters (or even Mom's) that are caught up in the Bieber storm. So going online and venting about how much they hate him is their only outlet from the agony they must go through. 

So I think there's a lot of that really and not so much sexism hatred or something (I'm not totally following what I just read). Yet just kinda take a step back and realize that these are probably dumb little boys that have to go to school everyday and deal with girls with Bieber pictures all over their binders and lockers. It might seem like they're going out of their way to hate on Bieber online but they probably have to deal with Bieber fans more than you may think.

Pop music being crap? That is totally subjective. As for me, I don't like pop music much (although sometimes I enjoy listening to the 90's pop music xD) but when you see a kid suffering from cancer who listens to, I don't know, Rihanna (is that her name?) and her songs bring a smile and a happy moment for the suffering kid, then you start realising you just give too much importance to your personal taste in music...

The small personal bubble we sometimes get into...

Pop music being crap? That is totally subjective. As for me, I don't like pop music much (although sometimes I enjoy listening to the 90's pop music xD) but when you see a kid suffering from cancer who listens to, I don't know, Rihanna (is that her name?) and her songs bring a smile and a happy moment for the suffering kid, then you start realising you just give too much importance to your personal taste in music...

The small personal bubble we sometimes get into...

I totally agree with this.

Like, it REALLY all comes down to personal preference with things like that.

If music makes you happy, then listen to it.

thats pretty much it.

Naturally it is very immature to search on Youtube for Justin Bieber videos and add comments such as "THE DISLIEK BAR IS THE SIZE OF JUSTIN BIEBERS DICK!!!11" as Disposable so subtly pointed out. That's just pathetic, to waste your time on something you believe is worthless. I don't think that's acceptable behaviour, even for kids being kids.

However, when you're asked what you think about the music or when someone recommends you Justin Bieber's music or similar music, it's not wrong to say how terrible you think it is. It's called honesty and your opinion is very understandable.

I love many songs by Billy Joel. I know some of it can be sappy and romantic, but I some of the songs hold some meaning for me.

HOWEVER I fucking can't STAND the song "Piano Man." 

I think when I first heard it, I thought it was pretty interesting but now I'm sick of it and it just pisses me off. I say this is "unpopular" because almost  everyone I know starts making dramatic orgasm noises every time it comes on the radio and then start going on a rant about how music was so great back then. It's. Not. The. Only. Popular. Song. With. A. Fucking. Piano. In. It. 

That song just goes on and on and on... very agitating indeed.