CAT5

Post your "UNPOPULAR" music opinions!

This seems interesting so I'll add my two cents.

I really find ふぁっきんA by Idiot really listenable and I enjoy it.

I love really bad vocals. You guys may think I'm trolling, but this is the truth. The worst the vocalist is, the more I seem to like it. I think I'm M when it comes to vocals, but oh wells. The more cringe worthy it is, the more it's like bliss.

A lot of times when I read lyric translations to a song the first thing that crosses my mind is wtf were they thinking writing this nonsense? Sometimes it's so weird or hilarious the whole song loses its effect for me. I could give only so many examples.

A lot of times when I read lyric translations to a song the first thing that crosses my mind is wtf were they thinking writing this nonsense? Sometimes it's so weird or hilarious the whole song loses its effect for me. I could give only so many examples.

AHHAHA RIGHT???

Idk if you listen to Hurts but theres a song called 'acapella to zenritsusen' and its a great song sound wise but apparently its about anal???

I had no idea. XD

AHHAHA RIGHT???

Idk if you listen to Hurts but theres a song called 'acapella to zenritsusen' and its a great song sound wise but apparently its about anal???

I had no idea. XD

XD I don't know why everybody always complains about hinas lyrics. I think they are great! Sleazy music needs sleazy lyrics.

Just make sure no japanese native speaker is present and you'll be fine.

I think what they mean is that Versailles trapped themselves in the frilly aristocratic vampire theme. Not so much VK itself limiting them but the specific theme that Versailles set themselves up as.

That's what I meant, thank you.

tell me why I was expecting this half-assed response... and yeah I am annoyed because EVERY post of you make is about how much boogieman's disbandment was a tragedy to the vk scene.

Oh, you got it all wrong. It's not boogieman disbandment -that never officially happened. It's baroque coming back and sucking so hard. It seems I may have to insist more on this whole thing after all~

Guest mitsubana

That can be true~ There are horrible lyrics in the VK world. But also, there are inaccurate, horrible translations of songs too... I feel like unless you know Japanese fluently, you shouldn't be translating VK songs haha 

That can be true~ There are horrible lyrics in the VK world. But also, there are inaccurate, horrible translations of songs too... I feel like unless you know Japanese fluently, you shouldn't be translating VK songs haha 

Even if lyrics are translated properly, they still cannot bring forward a message that the lyricist might have meant originally. Japanese and English are interpreted in complete different ways, and in my eyes it almost impossible to transfer the exact meaning.

Music always remains as an opinion, though. I don't think any band can be rendered as a bad band because there will always be someone who likes them. I think the talent lies in effort, bonding and striving for a goal to be achieved. It's not so much about the quality of the music itself but the people who make it live.

Bohemian Rhapsody is anything but great. If I had to guess why it's so popular I would guess it's because the song's a bit unconventional compared to radio-friendly songs and many folks who haven't heard much else besides radio-friendly songs are easily impressed with the few 'different' music they HAVE heard.

Something similar goes on with fans of André Rieu, a shallow Dutch classical composer whose popularity can (even more easily) be explained: his fans are unfamiliar with other classical music. They have no references at all. Rieu already sounds and looks great to them, even if he does nothing special and tries to impress with silly bombastic performances to try and hide his lack of artistic talent.

I might just add another one: Susan Boyle. Popular among those whose frame of reference is very narrow.

Bohemian Rhapsody is anything but great. If I had to guess why it's so popular I would guess it's because the song's a bit unconventional compared to radio-friendly songs and many folks who haven't heard much else besides radio-friendly songs are easily impressed with the few 'different' music they HAVE heard.

Agreeing with this, though Bohemian Rhapsody is not a bad song. Queen is an artist I can't talk ill about because I've never really listened to them, but I have heard Bohemian Rhapsody. As I stated, it's not bad and a lot better than most radio material, but just because it's less radio friendly it's being treated as the best thing ever and makes number 1 of every "best of all times" every single year. There are a lot of songs that are more complicated, better structured and are composed of more interesting parts than Bohemian Rhapsody, they're just made by artists no one in radio land has ever even heard of.

Even if lyrics are translated properly, they still cannot bring forward a message that the lyricist might have meant originally. Japanese and English are interpreted in complete different ways, and in my eyes it almost impossible to transfer the exact meaning.

True, but even if you are fluent in Japanese you can't make crappy lyrics make sense when they didn't make sense to begin with. And I've been reading multiple translations of the same song. Though I'm not an expert of course, lol.

Agreeing with this, though Bohemian Rhapsody is not a bad song. Queen is an artist I can't talk ill about because I've never really listened to them, but I have heard Bohemian Rhapsody. As I stated, it's not bad and a lot better than most radio material, but just because it's less radio friendly it's being treated as the best thing ever and makes number 1 of every "best of all times" every single year. There are a lot of songs that are more complicated, better structured and are composed of more interesting parts than Bohemian Rhapsody, they're just made by artists no one in radio land has ever even heard of.

Yeah, I think it's a good song, but my main dislike of it stems from it being so overplayed nowadays rather than the quality of the song itself but that pretty much goes for every popular "classic" rock song that's out there. 

Guest mitsubana

Naw, this is something I forgot to add, so thank you for pointing it out! I agree. You can lose so much original meaning in a book, lyrics, etc. when translating it from its original language to another. This can also leave room for misinterpretation or numerous interpretations from various translators.

I'm determined to spark a shitstorm with my opinions sooner or later.

BABYMETAL isn't the spawn of Satan

Sexism at it's finest, really. BABYMETAL has succeeded at doing what the visual kei scene has failed at repeatedly - juxtaposing music and appearance in such a way as to confuse the listener. It's unorthodox, it's original, it's exactly the same reason why plenty of people say they listen to visual kei...and yet they get lambasted for it over and over and over again.

BABYMETAL plays the same kind of music that's popular within the visual kei scene, which is deathcore mixed with pop hooks and a ton of electronic influence. I would expect the same people that like those kinds of bands to at least tolerate their existence, if not enjoy them as something familiar yet different. But once again the hivemind takes over. Since one person decided they didn't like it, everyone else hops on the bandwagon without listening for themselves.

Inevitably, I come across someone that says that they don't like their style of music, yet has in their collection plenty of bands that use the same formula. Oops. 

True facts right here, if Black Gene For The Next Scene or REALies covered メギツネ (which sounds exactly like what they've tried to do and have failed at for the last forever and a half), I would bet my bottom dollar nothing but praise would be lobbed at those bands for getting back in shape, improving their squeals and writing actual riffs. 

Disclaimer:  BABYMETAL isn't the greatest band to squeal into a breakdown or three. They just get a lot more hate than they deserve because people care too much about what other people think of their music taste and in the visual kei world it's easy to hate "pop music" or anything associated with it.

Thank you for that unpopular opinion of yours. : D

I had no idea who they were but checked them out on youtube just now. For some reason (although I'm not into metall-riff based music normally) they totally work for me. The instrumental actually contrasts nicely with their idol image and voices. Also I think I have a girlcrush on all three of them now.

Liphlich and A (エース) are not the greatest/most creative "new" VK bands

I'm going to preface this by saying, I don't "dislike" either of these bands, AT ALL.  I'm thankful they are part of the new VK scene as they do bring something that is fairly new and refreshing.  The bands just haven't "clicked" for me personally.  I find Liphlich's sound a bit repetitive and the vocalist is a little too exaggerated for me.  Rookie Fiddler from "A (エース)" deserves a medal, cause that guy can play!  He really is the core of their sound.  Unfortunately, I feel like the guitarist falls short (at least from what I've heard; I still need to check out their most recent stuff).  His playing hasn't really wowed me ever.  And the vocalist is also just decent; I don't think he's "epic" enough to take the band to the next level that Rookie Fiddler is obviously ready to go to.  But like I said, I'm still very excited for these bands and I hope I'll eventually become a bigger fan of them.

Love this thread idea!  I'll try to think of some more...

Thank god, i thought I was the only one... I like both bands but imo they get way too overhyped

Sexism at it's finest, really. BABYMETAL has succeeded at doing what the visual kei scene has failed at repeatedly - juxtaposing music and appearance in such a way as to confuse the listener. It's unorthodox, it's original, it's exactly the same reason why plenty of people say they listen to visual kei...and yet they get lambasted for it over and over and over again.

BABYMETAL plays the same kind of music that's popular within the visual kei scene, which is deathcore mixed with pop hooks and a ton of electronic influence. I would expect the same people that like those kinds of bands to at least tolerate their existence, if not enjoy them as something familiar yet different. But once again the hivemind takes over. Since one person decided they didn't like it, everyone else hops on the bandwagon without listening for themselves.

Inevitably, I come across someone that says that they don't like their style of music, yet has in their collection plenty of bands that use the same formula. Oops. 

True facts right here, if Black Gene For The Next Scene or REALies covered メギツネ (which sounds exactly like what they've tried to do and have failed at for the last forever and a half), I would bet my bottom dollar nothing but praise would be lobbed at those bands for getting back in shape, improving their squeals and writing actual riffs. 

Disclaimer:  BABYMETAL isn't the greatest band to squeal into a breakdown or three. They just get a lot more hate than they deserve because people care too much about what other people think of their music taste and in the visual kei world it's easy to hate "pop music" or anything associated with it.

Completely agree. BABYMETAL are pretty good and I don't get why they get so bashed xDD

That's it, I'm filing for divorce. You're no longer mai waifu.

Anyway I don't like them simply because they're not metal. As a pop band they're fine though. Just the elitist metal snob cringes when they call themselves metal and people think this is metal. Shit like, they invented the "fox" sign, lolwat. It's the fucking horns and Dio would like to have a word with you. Anyway, elitist elitin it up, so please carry on and let me be a snob okay!?

From a pop perspective I could like them but the two young ones that make squeaky Japanese girl noises in every song makes them unbearable. Fire them and keep the older one that sings lead and this group could be better.

I agree though with your overall argument. , make them cute little VK boys and people would claim BABYMETAL as the saviors of VK. Basically all those multi vocalist bands like Gakkido and Monorail (I think that's them) are basically gross boy bands in the same vein as BABYMETAL.

I never noticed much hate for them on MH though, only on the metal forums I frequent when some gross ass otaku shows up and starts praising BABYMETAL because everything from Japan is better.

Also I think I have a girlcrush on all three of them now.

Das pedo-y...and I do too. Just the oldest one though. The other two look like they're six.

That's it, I'm filing for divorce. You're no longer mai waifu.

Come with me to the kawaii side. We have sparkly cupcakes です.

Leda and Meku are aight. 

I'm not going to take away from either of their skills because they can do things with guitars that I can't. Leda and Meku are damn good guitarists. They both raised the bar for what a visual kei guitarist is expected to be able to do and introduced the scene to shredding, sweep picking and legato, among other advanced guitar techniques. They made it cool to be visual kei guitar virtuosos

What the both of them need to get through their thick heads is that after a point technicality alone does not make a good substitute for melody. This stands for both Leda and Meku, but more so Meku. Minute-long fret noodling or elaborate guitar soloing is cool when it fits. It doesn't always fit. But with the both of them, every single song has to have a minute long showcase of their skills, or they have riffs during the verses that are technically impressive but have little musical weight. 

What also gets me with the both of them is the structure of their songs. They're set up so that the solos are always the centerpiece but it's painfully apparent that both the guitarists are on a different level from the rest of their respective bands. It's so noticeable that every time they begin soloing or finish soloing you are acutely aware it just happened. This is better explained with an example. Peep the solo at ~3:17 on this song:

http://youtu.be/kbcw20vqxCc?t=3m13s

That's the epitome of an amazing solo because everybody gets in on it. There's bass and guitar tapping, keyboard and drum goodness, and a nice melody followed up by some shredding at the end. There's interplay, there's cooperation, the song flows into the solo and most of all you get a sense of more than just what Syu (the guitarist) is capable of. It's not a case of precious heart syndrome where when Meku starts at 2:08 the rest of the band falls back to keeping time until he's done. 

http://youtu.be/JY9w08RbVJ0?t=2m18s

That's the difference between a good musician and a great one - someone that can pull out the best from everyone in the band and use everyone's skills in the music instead of using everyone else as a crutch so they can show off their mad awesome skillz. Once Leda and Meku learn this and compose with everyone in mind, watch their songwriting capabilities soar by leaps and bounds overnight.

I would like Galeyed if they had better vocalist, he sounds so lackluster.

I had high hopes for Deluhi due to Leda. When ever they start off with instrumentals, I love it then I just go "fuck this" when the vocals come. The vocal work sound almost exactly like NA bands. I wonder what Leda could do with a Yama-B type vocals.

Guest mitsubana

In regards to the Galeyd guitar solos... This is why the band will probably disband... And they had potential, but I just didn't care for them. Galeyd is like Plastic Tree to me... Most songs sound the same and the vocalists grate on the nerves after a while.

I have to disagree with Arithmetica on the BABYMETAL not being metal. To me they are. Sure they may not be your typical metal band, and are on the poppy side, but they still are metal. 

Which brings me to my other point. Metal is metal. Djent is metal, VK is (can be) metal, progressive metal is metal, metalcore is metal, deathcore is metal,  alternative metal is metal, death metal is metal, industrial metal is metal, grindcore is metal, symphonic metal is metal, powermetal is metal, black metal is metal. Electronic-posthardcore-bleep-bloop-w/e is metal. 

I’m so tired of metal fans bashing other sub-genres of metal and refusing to acknowledge them as metal simply because they don’t fit their own personal description of the genre, or because they don’t like a certain band. I see people bashing any type of metal that has clean vocals as utter crap simply because the band chooses not to use BROOTAL growled vocals all the time. Likewise I see death metal gets flak for “generic,” or “indistinguishable” growled vocals. Technical/progressive metal bands with crazy instrumental and composition skills get crap for “useless instrumental wankery”, symphonic for lack of heaviness, metalcore for breakdowns/pedal point riffs, and metal fusion bands for using other genres of music that aren’t metal, electronica, post-hardcore, pop etc.

This type of narrow mindedness is even present in the Japanese music scene. More traditional heavy metal acts from Japan don’t consider VK bands who actually play a style of metal (usually a variation on metalcore) metal simply because said VK band may use poppy choruses or dress in colorful visually striking attire. It might not be traditional metal, but VK can certainly still be metal, as can any other sub-genre can. 

The numerous incarnations metal has taken is actually what I love about the genre. The crazy amount of sub-genres it has and how each sub-genre has its own awesome interpretation and take on metal. Sure there are crap bands in each scene, but that goes for any genre. More importantly, there are plenty of amazing bands from each sub-genre. And I don’t except everyone to like every sub-genre of metal there is, or every metal band out there, but to be open minded enough to respect and accept other sub-genres. 

I will never understand when people say “that’s not metal”, when clearly the band is, or “that’s fake/poser metal", There’s no such thing as fake metal. It’s either metal or it’s not. So yeah, that’s my opinion. Metal is metal.     

-D.I.D. is rubbish, mainly because they use auto-tune-

Bull. They hardly EVER use auto-tune, plus they're freaking awesome!

In any case I don't see what the big deal is with auto-tune. Sure, it can sound rubbish sometimes, but so can screaming, growling and (especially in VK land) singing! It actually works sometimes but no one but me seems to be aware of this?!

I have to disagree with Arithmetica on the BABYMETAL not being metal. To me they are. Sure they may not be your typical metal band, and are on the poppy side, but they still are metal. 

-- stuff --

I will never understand when people say “that’s not metal”, when clearly the band is, or “that’s fake/poser metal", There’s no such thing as fake metal. It’s either metal or it’s not. So yeah, that’s my opinion. Metal is metal.     

Oh man, I'm not even gonna get into this. I'm not talking about the legitimacy of VK being metal or djent or any of that. For the most part I do agree with your post but that's not what I was really talking about. My initial post is mostly tongue-in-cheek, while I still don't agree that BABYMETAL is a metal band I'm also not being all BLARG METAL RAWR and slamming my face in my keyboard over it either.

BABYMETAL is an idol group with metal asethetics but not a metal band. There's really not much else to say about it, it's an idol group not a metal band. At least the VK bands that can barely play their instruments have a bit more legitimacy being 'metal' because they're an actual real band, not an idol group. 

That's basically why I don't agree with BABYMETAL being a metal band because they're not even a band, they're idol singers and an idol group.

-D.I.D. is rubbish, mainly because they use auto-tune-

Bull. They hardly EVER use auto-tune, plus they're freaking awesome!

In any case I don't see what the big deal is with auto-tune. Sure, it can sound rubbish sometimes, but so can screaming, growling and (especially in VK land) singing! It actually works sometimes but no one but me seems to be aware of this?!

I don't mind D.I.D.

I normally don't like auto-tune and electronic industrial metal or rock but going back to auto-tune, it definitely does have its place. The problem I have is when it's forcibly used and is painfully obvious how out of place it is. D.I.D. is fine because from the get go you know that they heavily use electronic elements in their music and the auto-tune actually goes along with it quite nicely. D.I.D. is the first band that has started to grow on me because they've balanced your traditional rock sound with the electronic sound quite nicely to the point that for someone like me that normally doesn't like heavily electronic music, can enjoy them because it's not so beebop technoy for me.