CAT5

Post your "UNPOPULAR" music opinions!

On 5/10/2017 at 8:38 AM, YuyoDrift said:

This year is almost half-way through, and there still is no release close enough to meet my standards.

I really can't believe that those crazy fools who hailed Matina's era of VK to be the best, are gonna have the last laugh.

To have to purposely look for older VK, and even explore other genres of Japanese Music, was not something I believed to be doing this year.

It's even harder to believe that I'd be doing this all the way up to May.

I'm terrified of what I have to listen to for the remaining half of the year.....

I may even have to give Mejibray another listen, I'm so bored.

To put this in perspective, I haven't even started my Best of 2017 list. And I always start that in January.

9 hours ago, emmny said:

2017 has been a shitshow for vk, indie rock and even metal

but hiphop has never been on fire like this....radio hiphop is KILLING IT

Been like this for me since 2015. It's the only thing I have genuine enthusiasm for ( well vk holds me hostage, but it's like sticking around with a wife who has stage IV brain cancer while you're still hoping that she'll pull a miracle and make it through as you're mopping up the chemo hair from the floor and the hospital orderlies are laughing at your tears ) 

Absolutely no idea what my 2017 list would consist right now

2017 has been a shit year for metal? What the actual fuck! Makes me wonder what type of godawful metal you like. Been another great year, and that's even before I've started to dig into this year's releases.

On 5/10/2017 at 9:38 AM, YuyoDrift said:

This year is almost half-way through, and there still is no release close enough to meet my standards.

I really can't believe that those crazy fools who hailed Matina's era of VK to be the best, are gonna have the last laugh.

To have to purposely look for older VK, and even explore other genres of Japanese Music, was not something I believed to be doing this year.

It's even harder to believe that I'd be doing this all the way up to May.

I'm terrified of what I have to listen to for the remaining half of the year.....

I may even have to give Mejibray another listen, I'm so bored.

Did you try Matenrou Opera's new album yet? 

Also, Gotcharocka's new full length just came out. I expect it to be at least decent.

Edited by Komorebi

I say 2017 has been good and bad for Vkei. 

Kuroyuri, Kiryu  and GossiP have awesome singles, Nightengeil is back, and the 20th anniversary of Dir en Grey came up. 

However, the Yoshiki surgery, disbanding of many bands, the two recent accidents, etc. Yeah those are the bad. 

5 hours ago, Bear said:

2017 has been a shit year for metal? What the actual fuck! Makes me wonder what type of godawful metal you like. Been another great year, and that's even before I've started to dig into this year's releases.

definitely not the same godawful shit you like :P

I don't know how unpopular this is but K-Pop >>> J-Pop. God, I hate so much, I had forgotten about it until I went to a japanese music event and they put a lot of that awful J-Pop, then I remembered why I could never listen to that. The voices, I just can't do it, nope, they make me want to rip off my ears and the music is soooooo corny. At least K-Pop singers sound like normal people.

On 5/11/2017 at 5:29 PM, Zeus said:

To put this in perspective, I haven't even started my Best of 2017 list. And I always start that in January.

Haha.

I'm over here, worried for @Ito, who's supposed to be doing a showcase of 2017 bands at the ACen panel next week.

Like, who the fuck is he going to mention? lol

12 hours ago, Komorebi said:

Did you try Matenrou Opera's new album yet? 

See my music ratings list.

Edited by YuyoDrift
Oh, by the way Komorebi, this ratings list changes often. Do check periodically.

That's true. 2017 vk has been pretty average, so far. The only release I believe is an actual stand out was ORCALADE's debut. Solid as fuck.

on unpopular opinions: DADAROMA gets more praise than they deserve. For each killer song, they have 5 or 6 that are forgettable at best. And its a shame, cuz I really liked Crazy Shampoo and NAINE...

Lolita 23Q wasn't Lolita 23Q with Soshi. Like I pretend it never existed cause it shouldn't have. 

12 hours ago, YuyoDrift said:

And where do I find that?

Aki's voice (Arlequin) reminds me of Yuuki's voice. Just less "sexy". Is it an unpopular opinion to say that it's ruining Arlequin for me?

23 minutes ago, sp_93 said:

Kamijo's voice during his time in Lareine was just obnoxious, dude was singing like a whole octave higher.

He was singing in his natural voice. What he does in Versailles is forced as fuck imo. 

I loathe the constipated vampire aristocrat gimmick so everyone from gackt to klaha to post-lareine kamijo  and their ilk I can't stand for one bit. Klaha especially was only gauged to do good stuff with Gardenia because of the song writing, for which I presume he was not responsible. His previous band is terrible bush league nu wave and they even ripped off Billie Jean for christ sake. 

On 5/12/2017 at 7:06 PM, YuyoDrift said:

Haha.

I'm over here, worried for @Ito, who's supposed to be doing a showcase of 2017 bands at the ACen panel next week.

Like, who the fuck is he going to mention? lol

Thank god that 2016 was fairly solid.

Not to be that guy, but I just can't get used to the transition that HYDE's VAMPS has gone through.

I don't know if it's the tracks starting to all blend together lately, or if my years of listening to Papa Roach, Lostprophets, and Atreyu are not allowing me to accept this recent work as something more than just Americanized mainstream 00's rock.

Dir en grey and Sukekiyo are known primarily for their Dark-toned music, which they do well for the most part. With that said,  I think DECAYS (and probably Seraph), gets hella flack because its on the lighter side.  Kinda as if its illegal for the individual members of Dir en grey to be involved in or do any sort of music that isn't dark toned. The salt when Secret Mode came out was hilarious at best. SO many ppl were "let down" lmaoo.  Of the 3, DECAYS's appeals more to me these days primarily because its a nice break/contrast tone wise. And their music, while its simpler than Dir's and Sukekiyo's is much more easier on the ears but still creative enough to keep me going back. DIE really struck gold here. 

Or maybe ppl aren't sleeping on DECAYS but its just cool to rag on em.