CAT5

Post your "UNPOPULAR" music opinions!

3 hours ago, karai · ebi said:

Haha, I always thought it seemed out of place but I had bought the album specifically because S-Conscious was in a tie for my 1st or 2nd favorite track on it.

They are totally out of place! XD To be placed between au revoir and le ciel on the track list is so weird xD 

I have a couple of unpopular ones, but I'll just start with the one, lest I be burned at the stake (or at least never taken seriously again):

Dir en Grey and MUCC are horribly over-hyped

One of the few bands that could pull off well the crazy vk synth trope is Canzel. 

Also, I probably said this before but femme fatale is so underrated. 

1 hour ago, Komorebi said:

Hardcore and brootal does not mean a band is good.

Isn't that an opinion shared by something like 99% of the human population? Hardly an unpopular opinion at least, that's for sure. So not sure why you felt that it belonged in this thread.

2 hours ago, Bear said:

Isn't that an opinion shared by something like 99% of the human population? Hardly an unpopular opinion at least, that's for sure. So not sure why you felt that it belonged in this thread.

I've read it too much on VK groups, and from a good portion of the VK male fans I see online. To many guys I've encountered rutalness IS a factor to consider when judging whether a band is good or not.

Also, there is a whole thread here dedicated to how good brutal kei is lol

15 minutes ago, Komorebi said:

I've read it too much on VK groups, and from a good portion of the VK male fans I see online. To many guys I've encountered rutalness IS a factor to consider when judging whether a band is good or not.

Also, there is a whole thread here dedicated to how good brutal kei is lol

Never met anyone like that tbh, not here, nor anyone else on the internet. So I doubt there's a lot of them, which makes your opinion far from being an unpopular one.

Yes, there's a thread dedicated to it, like there's threads dedicated to a shitload of different bands, genres and subgenres on this forum, but that doesn't mean the people active in those threads enjoy everything that sound like it. It's normal. I've made threads dedicated to how good dungeon synth and new retro wave/retro electro/synthwave is, but that doesn't mean I enjoy every band playing these styles.

57 minutes ago, Bear said:

Never met anyone like that tbh, not here, nor anyone else on the internet. So I doubt there's a lot of them, which makes your opinion far from being an unpopular one.

I'm pretty sure the opinions shared here are not just based on what happens striclty within this forum. As a trilingual, I share with other communities outside of this one in at least two more languages. Not because you haven't whitnessed something yourself it does not mean someone else hasn't.

I am also lucky enough to live in a place with a thriving VK scene, which means a very good percentage of my conversations revolving around music will happen face to face, making it harder for you and other sceptics to record what is or isn't said over a beer :) 

EDIT: Also, it is just an opinion shared on a forum thread. No need to make a fuss about the popularity of said opinion. IDK why is it a thing for you. Read the rest of the thread and I'm sure you'll find a great deal of oh-so-popular opinions posted here.

Edited by Komorebi

7 hours ago, Komorebi said:

Hardcore and brootal does not mean a band is good.

as the almighty undisputed founder of the term brutal kei (ehem jokes aside although its true ;D) i want to give my brief opinion on this statement:

you are absolutely right! "Hardcore and brootal does not mean a band is good." 

but i wanna tell from my own personal perspective why probably people like you believe that people like "us" think that way...

before i found out about Vk i was a pure metal head. i started listen to more and more heavy music since i was about 10 years old and i discovered Vk when i was 17. since 2009/2010 more and more bands with really heavy music bloomed within the Vk scene and imo if your musical backround was anything metal related it is probably at least for me way more easy to get into a certain band when listening to a heavy song first. i personally have nothing against ballads or poppy songs especially because solely of Vk i found out that SINGING can be really enjoyable since Vk has by far the best singers on earth for me. but again because of my backround its way easier for me to get into a band with a heavy song and because *especially within the foreign scene* i believe that especially a lot of metal lovers get introduced to Vk also just need a heavy song to get warm with certain bands.

and again if a band has screaming/breakdowns/blastbeats in it but the songstructure or the vocalist sucks ass the band still sucks ass! ;D

On 4/18/2018 at 12:52 AM, TheZigzagoon said:

Dunno if its unpopular, but its an opinion nevertheless

The tracks 'Ju te veux' and 'S-Conscious' on the Malice Mizer album merveilles are pointless filler that serve no other purpose 

I completely agree with this. I thought I was the only one who thought it tbh.

On the topic of MALICE MIZER, I think I'll say my unpopular opinion about them:

GACKT was the weakest vocalist for MALICE MIZER and pales in comparison to Tetsu and Klaha. In addition, I feel that the only reason why GACKT-era was the most popular was because of the catchy/poppy songs and also the fact that the most songs were released in that era (in comparison to Tetsu and/or Klaha era, both strong vocalists).

Since I'm talking about GACKT, his best album was definitely Mars. While Crescent and Rebirth had good tracks I wouldn't compliment them as entire albums, although they're certainly more pleasant than ..... some of the other things he's released or has participated in*cough*yellow fried chickenz*cough*

I think GACKT's career is near-dead now and if it's not [his career] should die out.

I kind of like YOHIO's later work (his older is just "okay" at best imo)

I like DISREIGN (or is that a relatively popular opinion?)

A big reason I like VK, other than the music, is because I think the way people dress is really cool (and it may have had an influence on some character designs for a story have been writing and developing on and off for 2 years now, haha)

I don't mind non-japanese VK that much, honestly.

On 3/22/2019 at 7:35 AM, Disposable said:

This is what Ryoga could have always been doing if he had a band with real musicians. I always loved his voice and tried my best to tolerate Born's music without much success and finally I can say that I almost fuck with what he is doing. 

1. Razor isn't any better than Born; felony alone nullifies that thinking
  2. Razor is only popular because of the band wagon hate on Born for not being renny amy (or w/e their name was) just like Mejibray not being vanessa, Diaura not being valluna, ect. bacially people can't except change. Also Djent and autotune is more appealing than rock and alt-metal
  3. Razor is whack version アルルカン.  アルルカン recent relaeses beat their disco; Stella (song) solos the disco, Grimoire washes them, Dadaroma Nukes them (oboreru sakana solos).  They're better than Fixer, Black Swan, and "evil mad science" The thirteen. That isnt anything though cause Neo Destruction and Flavor of blood solo. not going to get into the none core/djent bands
  4. Razor's best song is a SE or sounds like one
    Spoiler

5. the only great thing Razor has is the "manly member" (but he doesnt keep that BDE at the lives), Yuuki-Sama(Initail'Lyacon) homage by Ryouga. I would say the drummer but the double bassing isnt loud enough. 

Don't get me wrong i like them, listen to them often but i know their place :tw_joy::tw_joy::tw_joy::tw_joy::tw_joy:

Edited by blackdoll

46 minutes ago, blackdoll said:

Razor is only popular because of the band wagon hate on Born

Are u sure it has nothing to do with them being all really good looking dudes

* I liked Eros by Lycaon. The song, not the album. For the most part, the album was garbage, but the song I liked and also the video because who doesn't want to see a sexy guy with a big ass singing lewd songs and moaning in front of a giant picture of buttsex while dribbling fake(?) cum out of his mouth.

* SuG were crap with the exception of maybe two or three songs.

* Hitomi's solo project (Umiyuri) is pretty good. Could be better, but could be a hell of a lot worse. I give it a seven or eight out of ten.

* I don't like any western VK I've heard so far because I haven't heard anything amazing, but I don't totally hate it and I think all it would require is a few talented musicians (as with pretty much anything musical, really).

* Synth is not always bad and can actually sound pretty fantastic sometimes.

* Mao from Sid's voice is nowt special.

* Definition by DIAURA is wonderful.

* Kizu are overrated. They're not totally crap, but I don't get why everyone loves them so much.

* Lay (ex-Fatima) is one of the best bassists in the scene and if he doesn't come back (which he probably won't seeing as Obscure disbanded... how long ago, now?) at some point in the near future with something similar to Fatima (because I wasn't big on Obscure tbh), I'mma flip a table. Additionally, I would very much appreciate it if he brought back this look because he looked sexy as hell.

tBzZ04L.jpg

Edited by Gesu

this might as well be "unpopular" in this day and age but

people are actually bitching about certain bandmen with conservative views??? in a conservative country?!?!?!?!? the absolute NERVE, they should be cancelled IMMEDIATELY!!!111 #notMYhonmei #makevkgreatagain

6 hours ago, suji said:

this might as well be "unpopular" in this day and age but

people are actually bitching about certain bandmen with conservative views??? in a conservative country?!?!?!?!? the absolute NERVE, they should be cancelled IMMEDIATELY!!!111 #notMYhonmei #makevkgreatagain

People will get #triggered over pretty much anything these days. This doesn't surprise me in the least. 😒

The gazette aren’t particularly skilled nor their music isn’t nothing special and they are so popular just because of luck

Royz is a band with terrible music and people like them only because Subaru is good looking 

Dezert’s new style is great

Kisaki is a wonderful musician with amazing skill and we shouldn’t judge him just because he got a bit lost