CAT5

Post your "UNPOPULAR" music opinions!

+1 on kyo holding sukekiyo back

also...this might be a surprise coming from me but....i miss nagoya kei

WHEN WILL OLD KUROYUME, ROUAGE, LAMIEL AND KEIN COPY BANDS COME UP?? GET TO READING BITCHES DIR EN GREY AND MADETH ARE BORED!!!

7 hours ago, emmny said:

+1 on kyo holding sukekiyo back

also...this might be a surprise coming from me but....i miss nagoya kei

WHEN WILL OLD KUROYUME, ROUAGE, LAMIEL AND KEIN COPY BANDS COME UP?? GET TO READING BITCHES DIR EN GREY AND MADETH ARE BORED!!!

I have to agree on this. Sukekiyo was the opening act at a show I went to last month and their entire set was just unpleasant and uncomfortable. No one in the audience clapped or anything, it was totally still and silent. As for the music, I've always liked Kyo's voice when he sings but think he relies way too much on unnecessary growls and screaming...this held true for Sukekiyo, only it was more unpleasant than usual because he seems to have added a screech into his repertoire of sounds that make me unhappy. The actual instrumentals were solid though...yep.

9 hours ago, Sparrow said:

I have to agree on this. Sukekiyo was the opening act at a show I went to last month and their entire set was just unpleasant and uncomfortable. No one in the audience clapped or anything, it was totally still and silent. [...] more unpleasant than usual because he seems to have added a screech into his repertoire of sounds that make me unhappy.

None of that surprises me. I've read in the past that all of their shows are pretty much musical funerals: everyone is required to wear all black and be silent as fuck, and if anyone's making any noise, kyo will yell at the audience to shut up.

I honestly don't get this "funeral show" theme. The only thing not beautiful or pleasant about their music is kyo's dumb screeching.

23 hours ago, Tokage said:

- not sure how unpopular this one is at this point in time either, but i feel like vk should stray more into math rock/post-rock/shoegaze/idm/hip-hop & other territories that are 'unconventional' for the scene.

I love me some VK metalcore with all the screaming and such, but I'd love to hear math rock/post-rock incorporated into VK

On 4/9/2017 at 0:40 PM, Tokage said:

- not sure how unpopular this one is at this point in time either, but i feel like vk should stray more into math rock/post-rock/shoegaze/idm/hip-hop & other territories that are 'unconventional' for the scene. i'm 100% sure a lot of people would shit on it because 'muh screams' or 'muh symphonic metal,'  but it'd be a breath of fresh air... (imagine a vk country band or something lmao)

I wouldn't mind a return to post-punk and goth influences, but in a way that isn't just a simple retread of kote kei

5 hours ago, Seimeisen said:

None of that surprises me. I've read in the past that all of their shows are pretty much musical funerals: everyone is required to wear all black and be silent as fuck, and if anyone's making any noise, kyo will yell at the audience to shut up.

I honestly don't get this "funeral show" theme. The only thing not beautiful or pleasant about their music is kyo's dumb screeching.

Thanks for explaining that to me, their whole set and the atmosphere had me baffled! I wish I had been able to get past what Kyo was doing because, usually I had just ignore a singer I don't like and focus on something else like the instrumentals, but I really couldn't with them. That screech just worms its way into your brain and I couldn't focus on anything else. I had such high hopes too because I had watched the video for Anima before the show and really liked it! 

10 hours ago, seikun said:

Really? Kyo scolding the audience?

The first time Diru perfomed in Chile (back in 2009) the audience sang along, because it's what we do here. Kyo threw a tantrum and left the stage, the tour manager had to take him back out.

Or at least that's what I heard from a few assistants, since I didn't go :P

Sukekiyo not wanting the audience to talk/sing/make noise is something that I would actually appreciate quite a lot, the whole dresscode however comes off as retarded.

14 hours ago, seikun said:

Really? Kyo scolding the audience?

Not from my experience. I saw DEG back in 2013 and we had a pretty rowdy, moshy, (American) audience, and he didn't seem the least bit bothered. Perhaps it just depends...? (Or he's grown more into a grumpy old man since then, who knows).

On 17/4/2017 at 9:31 PM, Komorebi said:

The first time Diru perfomed in Chile (back in 2009) the audience sang along, because it's what we do here. Kyo threw a tantrum and left the stage, the tour manager had to take him back out.

Or at least that's what I heard from a few assistants, since I didn't go :P

Chilean here too :P

I remember I once watched a video with fans welcoming the band at the airport in Chile and, Kyo and the other members look very serious and like not in the mood to be receptive of the fans' enthusiam with them. 

On 18/4/2017 at 1:31 AM, gekiai said:

Not from my experience. I saw DEG back in 2013 and we had a pretty rowdy, moshy, (American) audience, and he didn't seem the least bit bothered. Perhaps it just depends...? (Or he's grown more into a grumpy old man since then, who knows).

From all the concerts I have watched (mpg, avi, vob files) people always sing along and react to the songs. It is new to me hearing at least Kyo has his episodes with his audience at lives. But still I find it unikely that he would mistreat his US fanbase because one of Dir en grey's biggest interest was to make it in the US and they certainly don't want to put all that in jeopardy.

Edited by seikun

i not supposed to but after going through my ipod i had to say it. This negates the black swans existence, like what is jin smoking to abandon this sound?

Spoiler

D.I.D's Akane is a terrible vocalist especially when he attempts high notes. The super unnatural sounding pitch correction doesn't make it any better, making  it incredibly hard for me to enjoy their great instrumentals.

/edit: Just to be fair, his screams and mid-range singing are alright.

Edited by Kaleidoscope

8 hours ago, blackdoll said:

i not supposed to but after going through my ipod i had to say it. This negates the black swans existence, like what is jin smoking to abandon this sound?

Hide contents

Blame Nega's disbanding. 

Edited by AimiGen7

While both The Black Swan and Nega are amazing bands,

Jin needs to learn how to scream better. Or get someone to do the harsh vocals for him. 

On 4/22/2017 at 9:35 PM, blackdoll said:

Reveal hidden contents

You mean what was SAN smoking because he was the main composer for NEGA before he lost his groove. NEGA abandoned that sound after Grave of the Sacrifice because SAN needed new inspirations. then we got the trainwreck known as PERESTROIKA, a revived NEGA which was pretty shit, and then THE BLACK SWAN which is the closest we've ever gotten back to that sound IMO. I actually think Jin is trying to get there all on his own again and he's doing much better than I thought he would.

Two thumbs up for illegitimacy (single version). The piano solo at the end is :panic:

On 2017/4/3 at 0:02 PM, AimiGen7 said:

Closer by the Chainsmokers sucks. 

F*ck, everything by them just f*cking sucks. I thought their song "Selfie" was just a joke.. turns out, "We ain't never getting older" repeated 848639751937567417^10*485018589 (A number so big, it's in scientific notation) times is not a joke, and it's authentically repetitive, generic trash. 

And the general public eats that sh*t up! I don't see what's so appealing about a bunch of autotuned guys saying the same double negative in an amount so big, it, it has to be in Scientific notation.

Then again, it's pop music. Why am I annoyed if I don't even listen to it? Because IT'S EVERYWHERE. Everywhere I go, I hear that same song. How does it not get old for people? 

Am I just a "goth" person who only listens to trash, or am I the only one with a brain that gets annoyed with monotony? 

Ugh Japan finally got ahold of "Closer" and places have been playing it non-stop. I can't stand anything by the Chainsmokers TBH. I almost prefer the Bieber kick Japan was on before that. D:

As for unpopular opinions, I prefer old Lareine and think everything Kamijo has done after has been a mistake. Sorry not sorry Versailles fans. D:

Edited by jaymee

22 minutes ago, Platy said:

I'm confused, dazed even, trying to figure out how people can think that the singer from Melvel is any good. 

Even in his new band, he sounds just as awful. 

as a HiME stan... well, just no accounting for taste!

This year is almost half-way through, and there still is no release close enough to meet my standards.

I really can't believe that those crazy fools who hailed Matina's era of VK to be the best, are gonna have the last laugh.

To have to purposely look for older VK, and even explore other genres of Japanese Music, was not something I believed to be doing this year.

It's even harder to believe that I'd be doing this all the way up to May.

I'm terrified of what I have to listen to for the remaining half of the year.....

I may even have to give Mejibray another listen, I'm so bored.

luckily there's enough good western music being released this year to compensate lmao 

i think that xaa-xaa full length album is like just about the only vk-related release i've checked this year so far and it was also just a 6/10 or something... 

still holding out hopes for cali gari and sukekiyo to come thru with some good shit tho

I thought the new metronome album was pretty good, but it's literally the only 2017 VK release I've listened to so far.

I'm debating giving the April LIPHLICH single a shot, but the video track felt pretty underwhelming. :(