CAT5

Post your "UNPOPULAR" music opinions!

32 minutes ago, Zalemu said:

Onmyouza is my shiiiiit. I wish they were more popular.

Same. Along with Ningen Isu too. They're both truly amazing bands and have been very influential on the Vkei scene itself, even though only the latter is technically Vkei, and even then, Nignen Isu is not widely thought of as Vkei, even though they fit the definition. 

I think Ningen Isu should be more represented in the Vkei community, having influenced Inugami Circus Dan, Kuroyuri To Kage and Caligari, and they definitely are visual. It's just that their sound has led them to be more associated with Ozzy Osbourne/Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, etc. As most early Vkei bands were doing styles from New Wave British Heavy Metal, Ningen Isu was inspired mostly by older Metal bands, like Sabbath, Priest, and Deep Purple

3 hours ago, AimiGen7 said:

Same. Along with Ningen Isu too. They're both truly amazing bands and have been very influential on the Vkei scene itself, even though only the latter is technically Vkei, and even then, Nignen Isu is not widely thought of as Vkei, even though they fit the definition. 

I think Ningen Isu should be more represented in the Vkei community, having influenced Inugami Circus Dan, Kuroyuri To Kage and Caligari, and they definitely are visual. It's just that their sound has led them to be more associated with Ozzy Osbourne/Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, etc. As most early Vkei bands were doing styles from New Wave British Heavy Metal, Ningen Isu was inspired mostly by older Metal bands, like Sabbath, Priest, and Deep Purple

Cali & Kuroyuri influenced by Ningen-Isu? Inugami I'll give you considering their more traditionally straightforward rock-oriented sound, but cali gari's roots definitely lay within the '80s post-punk, goth & new wave scene tbqh

1 hour ago, Tokage said:

Cali & Kuroyuri influenced by Ningen-Isu? Inugami I'll give you considering their more traditionally straightforward rock-oriented sound, but cali gari's roots definitely lay within the '80s post-punk, goth & new wave scene tbqh

I have never seen any mentions of Ningen Isu from Ao nor Shuuji either - you've got one guy who's really fascinated about early Japanese post punk, zolo music and prolly these base VK acts (LS, BT) and the other one who's really into synthpop, new wave and similar genre pioneers from the western world.

I can get behind Kuroyuri in case it's true though. There are some "Japanesque traditionalist rock" tendencies in Kuroyuri too but merely small frills rather than dominant themes.

I have always been very picky about my bands and now that all of my favorites disbanded over the last two years, Visual Kei just feels dead to me.
If I don't like the vocalist's voice, I can't get into the music. And while there are still some bands I find aesthetically interesting, like the art kei folks, their music isn't my thing at all. All of my friends go crazy about SAVAGE, DADAROMA, MEJIBRAY, MORRIGAN and to me, they all sound awful and I'm getting tired of seeing these same overhyped faces retweeted onto my timelines, so much that I developed a strong dislike, especially against Aryu and his pretentious instagram-Tzk-fanboy life.

I actually don't want to lose touch to the scene, I've been a part of this for over 10 years, but I'll be in Japan in a few weeks and not a single concert show but one sounds appealing to me.

I'm going to see Gazette's anniversary live for the sake of old times. I had tickets for lynch., then Akinori happened, so that leaves me with one show to attend. In 2012, I was at 16 different concerts. These bands all disbanded or changed for the worse. 

It's a sad feeling to watch myself grow out of something I love like that. But when I see others fangirling as hard as ever, I think it must be me.

By influenced by Nignen Isu, in Kuroyuri's case I mostly meant lyrically and concept wise, since both make references to Eroguro Art and Literature in their music. Though I will say that Ningen Isu is more influenced by Edogawa Rampo, whereas Kuroyuri takes more influence from Suehiro Maruo. 

Though, I will say that Memento Mori, Kuroyuri's old band, is definitely influenced by Ningen Isu soundwise.  

Though it's not a prominent influence, it's a subtle influence that if it had not existed, would change the band immensely. I believe all influences, no matter how subtle, are important. It's one of the reasons why early Dir En Grey isn't a complete Kuroyume clone. 

Edited by AimiGen7

Let's give this thread another go.

I think mucc is much better now than back when they were playing heavier stuff.

Angelo is worse now since they took in that (ex vidoll?) guy

Angelo used to be better than pierrot

Gotcharocka is actually pretty good

Superfly is all over the place... but sometimes they hit the nail hard

Ling Toshite Sigue is not very good

X japan new songs are very cool and make me want that album to come out in a not sarcastic and not condescending way.

I want a Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and Aural Vampire crossover EP

Motoi Sakuraba should retire

It's not exactly about the music itself, but I am growing tired of the people who say that every band should go in a heavier (a.k.a. 'br00tal') direction. I believe the majority of the current bands already cannot exist without screaming vocalists — leave the clean-singing ones as they are, please.

LACK-CO. are truly a lot better than the people who judged them from merely one song make them out to be. They are quite similar to Develop One's Faculties in their song structures and smart usage of jazzy elements. Very refreshing.

Edited by Lestat

20 hours ago, Lestat said:

It's not exactly about the music itself, but I am growing tired of the people who say that every band should go in a heavier (a.k.a. 'br00tal') direction. I believe the majority of the current bands already cannot exist without screaming vocalists — leave the clean-singing ones as they are, please.

Yes, pretty please.

1 hour ago, Lestat said:

LACK-CO. are truly a lot better than the people who judged them from merely one song make them out to be.

I judged after listening to their whole EP 3 times. DOF is way better imo

This is more in regards to the fandom >
Fans that spam 'AAAHH' 'I'm having a fit, I'm dying' 'X is so cuteomfgxD' etc. when a new teaser for a band comes out drive me crazy, specially those that 'ship' band members.

e.g people who ship DDRM's Takashi and Tomo, I know they cater to people who do that a LOT but I still think it's irritating/unnecessary. These people are the same ones who usually will just say they're in love with every release from a group, they can do no wrong and every song is 'the best fucking one'. 

I know music isn't supposed to be criticised every time of the day, but I think it's good to be able to realise that artists will produce weak music and to be critical about it instead of just kissing their ass for everything they do. It just feels like I can't approach any fan of VK (outside of MH) with a negative comment about X band because all they can do is repeat the same mindless shit in Caps Lock, that or I get kicked out of groups.

I have another one: D'espairsray has never stood out to me as a band. They're highly praised by old and new J-rock fans alike and I'm over here like ????????? because I could never get into them. "Forbidden", Maverick and Fuyuu Shita Risou are the only things I can dig. They don't suck by any means, I just don't understand the hype.

Edited by Zalemu

On 23-2-2017 at 6:41 AM, patientZERO said:

I agree. That dude cannot sing. 

Claims-To-Hate-Bad-Singers-But-Listens-To-VK-Anyway The Clown

also what do you mean theres a dude???

On 23/2/2017 at 0:31 AM, CAT5 said:

Alright guys. Thread closed. 

You scared me for a minute there.

Also, bandmembers are LITERALLY the ONLY thing I ship, sue me.

whats worse than the ddrm shippers are the people who ACTUALLY think tomo and takashi are together and try to offer EVIDENCE...bitch go back to your side of the internet and ship those doctor who characters

as long as ur shipping responsibly and not obsessively and not getting deep in the bandoman's business by tweeting him constantly/DMing him and/or his "husbando" , i think it's a-ok. go have fun, kids

,,,but not too much fun