CAT5

Post your "UNPOPULAR" music opinions!

VAMPS is really not that great of a band, period. I tried listening to them but everything ive checked out is nothing short of mediocre, just boring rock. At least to me, it feels like a lot of their fan base our just blind Hyde stans...or people who miss L'arc and feel like VAMPS is the next best thing to cling to (which they aren't). 

Edited by The MAD Stallion

i hated stacked rubbish besides filth in the beauty. dogma and undying are my top faves but i can't stand anything else by the gazette tbh

btw i like mia

Edited by itsukoii

4 hours ago, itsukoii said:

btw i like mia

It's okay

4 hours ago, itsukoii said:

i hated stacked rubbish besides filth in the beauty.

I don't think STACKED RUBBISH was a fan favourite... Filth in the beauty and 千鶴 are definitely fan favourites, but I don't think the album itself is. Though I do know a few people who really like that album.

Not sure if this opinion is unpopular or not either, but I think AGONY would have been a lot better in Japanese (and maybe if RUKI was screaming instead of rapping?). I've enjoyed making fun of the Engrish rapping, but I've never really enjoyed listening to the song.

Chemical Pictures / SKULL > My BACTERIA HEAT IsLAND

GALEYD > DELUHI

MEKU > LEDA

MACHIYA > EVERYTHING

DIM is the best album the GazettE has ever made. 

Also I still believe Her Name in Blood is under-rated 

I actually like Taylor Swift.

Edited by togz

SHIVER - Hypnosis is the best shit I have heard in a long time

JoJo from THE GALLO has one of the most annoying Vibratos I have heard in my life.

12012 need to come back

Oh and mejibray still suck

That is all.

58 minutes ago, YuyoDrift said:

JoJo from THE GALLO has one of the most annoying Vibratos I have heard in my life.

12012 need to come back

Are you sure these aren't popular opinions? XD

Jkjk but seriously +1. 12012 left just when they got good again!!

HORA's solo stuff is cooler than Schwarz Stein cuz Kaya's voice isnt there to drag things down lmao

I find myself not liking the more "popular" (or what seems "popular" anyway) visual kei bands.

I don't like Dir en grey, Gazette, A9, Antic Cafe, lynch, Versailles, Hizaki, Kamijo, Mejibray, Kiryu, etc.  

X Japan didn't start VK (minus hide) idc what anyone says no one actually sounds like X while everyone sounds like bands that were around during the time like DEAD END or D'ERLANGER lol I actually bring this up frequently 

Wait a minute. Are you saying that X Japan couldn't start VK because no-one sounds like them? Now I don't know nor give a fuck, but saying a band didn't start something because no-one sounds like them are dumb as fuck. If that's what you're doing.

Anyway, there's a lot of (speed/thrash/power) metal bands that took after (early) X Japan in the late 80's and early 90's both music- and image-wise. This is a known fact.

Unpopular opinions, this is my cup of tea.

Here I go...

Malice Mizer is overrated and boring. Moi Dix Mois is better. I get that Malice was a HUGE influence on VK and lauched Gackt’s career… but they bore me to death.
People moaning over MM’s disbandment and Hide’s death, when they’ve been listening to VK since 2004, are soooo stupid. You didn’t live it. Quit crying over a band you didn’t even follow while they were active.

Everything The GazettE released before Nil (or was Dim first) is crappy. Even half of Nil and Dim are crappy. Their mini albums are terrible, Ruki couldn’t sing and more than songs it was a jumble of sensless noise. I have gotten actual headaches listening to their earlier stuff and not even Deathgaze and Nocturnal Bloodlust combined have made my head hurt yet with their heavyness.
I’m judging quality solely on sound, not even going to touch lyrics or looks because I simply not care about a band looking edgy but sounding crappy. The new GazettE sounds way better, at least to my ears.

People who whine about VK being expensive and being “too poor” to buy a CD but spend a shitload of money on expensive VK-like clothing are cringe-worthy. “Yass, The GazettE is my favorite band in the world. I mean, I LOVE them. I WORSHIP them. I’d rape Ruki and if they disband I’ll suicide. What? Buy a CD? Nooo I download everything, I’m too poor” Says the fangirl who is wearing a $150 Sexpot Revenge shirt. 
In my country (Chile, that long noodle in the South American map) there actually is a VK “scene”, for lack of a better English word in my mind, outside of the internet. There’s places for VK fans to hangout, you can even go to Blondie club and “dance” (headbang) to VK one or two nights a month. I’ve seen a shitload of fans who claim to be “the number one fan” of band x or y, wear expensive clothing, have money to get drunk once a week and smoke pot more often than not, yet are too poor to even consider buying their favorite album from the band they claim to worship so much. Are they on the scene because they enjoy the music or just to become popular for wearing Black Moral?

I don’t like Dir En Grey. I never liked Kyo’s singing. I’ve heard some of their albums twice in an attempt of giving them another shot… there’s no use. 

I like Miyavi as a person waaay more than his music. XD I love what he does to bring Japanese rock to a more western audience, how he manages his personal life with his work, I follow him on social media and his daughters are the cutest thing out there. I just don’t listen to him :P

Someone mentioned types of voice and there was some sort of debate… I won’t get into compositions, but many bands sound similar because the vocalists have the same type of voice. When I first heard ViViD they sounded exactly like Alice Nine to me, same with the Lotus. Listening to more of their discography one comes to realize that they have indeed different sounds, but their vocalists do have the same type of generic voice you hear in so many other VK bands… Singers like Asagi, Juka and Sono do stand out because they have different voices from the average Japanese male. Another unpopular opinion: Kamijo’s voice in Lareine sounded like crap. And I’ve heard that in Versailles he got it… what’s the music equivalent of photoshop? Thing is, he doesn’t sound that great to me as he does for everyone else, though he does make good music XD

And I’ll rant a bit now.
Some people who claim everywhere they love a band but actually only like specific releases also get on my nerves. This one is a personal one. The Vice-president of the (unnoficial) D fanclub in Chile goes around spreading her undying love for Asagi, fangirling, running a fanpage and nagging me to translate every single interview and ameba post for her… and every release I ask her if she wants to buy the new CD with me and share shipping expenses and every single time she refuses and goes on and on about D’s musical quality decline (something I’ll not get into now) and how nothing will ever be at Tafel Anatomie’s level… and everybody on the community wonders why on earth she is going out of her way to keep a community active for a band she no longer likes instead of letting fans who actually are into the band’s current work step in for her. I know there are other people like that and I wonder if they are still on it because x bandmember is hot af or because they enjoy having a “position of power” over the rest of the fans.

On 8/12/2016 at 1:06 AM, Bear said:

Wait a minute. Are you saying that X Japan couldn't start VK because no-one sounds like them? Now I don't know nor give a fuck, but saying a band didn't start something because no-one sounds like them are dumb as fuck. If that's what you're doing.

Anyway, there's a lot of (speed/thrash/power) metal bands that took after (early) X Japan in the late 80's and early 90's both music- and image-wise. This is a known fact.

I'm saying they weren't the only ones that started Visual Kei, but they coined the term "visual shock rock" and nothing else.

On 8/12/2016 at 1:06 AM, Bear said:

Now I don't know nor give a fuck

Then why did you reply and tell me what I'm saying is "dumb as fuck" ??? lol 

I don't agree with X starting VK if everyone else in the 80s looked like them, and no other big bands after the 80s actually sounded like them (eg LUNA SEA and Kuroyume took influence from DEAD END). X surely didn't start the kote kei movement or anything else after. So why are they getting credit when everyone else was doing the same thing? Because one of them had pink hair? They get credit because they were more famous than COLOR, DEAD END, D'ERLANGER and Gargoyle. And let me tell you all of them sounded more VK than X and looked as VK as X. 

Sure metal bands sounded/looked like them but were they Visual Kei? Being a vk band is not limited to wearing makeup and looking like a girl, especially in the 80s and 90s when everyone was doing it. There was a fine line between vk (LUNA SEA) and non-vk (L'Arc~en~Ciel).

I really want to like Kuroyuri to Kage's チョコレート階段, but that chorus makes me cringe so bad.

I mean, it starts off amazing. Gives me an old school KORN type vibe, and the vocalists soft echoed tone matches.

THEN THE CHORUS KILLS THE ENTIRE BUILDUP. Like wtf man?

Back to the buildup and solo part which again sound amazing, BUT THAT FUCKING CHORUS SCREECHES MY SOUL BRO LIKE OH MY GOD WHY?

Give this track to DEZERT, and let them show you how to make a proper fucking mashup.

I don't unerstand Golden Bomber's apppeal/popularity. At least other comedy bands like KISHIDAN, jealkb, and GROUP TAMASHII  play instruments. Like, what do you get out of a Golden Bomber live performance? I was watching the recent Rock in Japan Festival broadcast and they're in it just doing stupid gags while pretend performing. Like the bassist and drummer pretend play and then stop to get the crowd's attention... Meanwhile the song is still playing in the background. Wtf?

I can't stand Dadaroma, I've been trying to get into them recently. There's just something off about them for me, though I do think their drummer is pretty nice for a visual band.

What kind of shit do I have for today? Let's see.

All I could do while listening to deviloofs new material, was chuckle from embarrassment.

The intro and 1st track had me chortle something fierce, behind my hand, which was covering my face.

Here I almost forgot why I don't listen to anything like nocturnal bloodlust.

I will give them their dues though. It was an impressive.....what ever the hell it was. Just not for me.

Pentagon's latest release has got to be one of the top 5 worst things I have ever listened to.

That's all I'm going to say about it.

Has mejibray disbanded yet?

Lycaon 2.0 huh?

Yeah........just, yeah.

I have gone through this almost every single time when I had a chance to rant but:

- in order to be a good rhythmic backbone, your individual contribution (drums (!) or bass) has to uphold the structure that is called the arrangement of your band's song - NOT TO DISTRACT listeners from it.

I really don't want to see the new generation inspired by "hey you can be the little kid with a huge ass drumkit/x-stringed bass" idiocy that apparently happens to be vogue in this community and certain other SPECIFIC fanbases I won't mention for now.

- Whoever mixes and masters most Japanese rock albums (as in both vk and non-vk) needs to note that by abiding to the principles of "giving your instruments some punch"  is not the "dirty western ideal" : that is hands down the most universal and convincing effort when you want your listeners to go "WOW!". No wonder that mixing or mastering now that we mention it happens to be the most typical pet peeve for critics outside of our comfort zone (and yes, their voices matter too)

- VK scene as the umbrella of different genres and themes needs new waves of talents with capability to "change the mold" as we see it as "typical vk music" today. But unfortunately VK - just like any other focused scene - happens to be the love nest of corrupted oyaji hacks (back in the day this would have been some sort of ohnotheydidnt-gossip but they are not hiding it anymore - see: "VK Oyaji" and his suspicious background) with rather disregarding interests and pretty much downgrading attitude towards their subordinates - or "male prostitutes" for that matter. So this scene is bound to face even worse kinds of judgement and perhaps eventual demise once people realize the issue as a whole.

- If synths serve no particular purpose in your song aside from just contributing the lead melody: DON'T OVERDUB YOUR ROCK ARRANGEMENT WITH THEM. #IllogicalInstrumentation. Looking at you, bazillions of vk bands - especially acts like  Lycaon with dated Yamaha synths that would have made 2 Unlimited really jealous if time warping was invented today.