CAT5

Post your "UNPOPULAR" music opinions!

Not so much of an unpopular opinion, but an observation I had. I feel like pop music is so hard to define, because it's such an umbrella term, that I find it funny it's considered a genre; because it has been changing so much over the years, and seems to have very few common characteristics. In a sense it's a lot like Visual Kei.

I think An Cafe ruined it since Bou left the group. Their music was more interesting before Bou left.

FTFY.

Their replacement sure did change the music direction, I'll agree with that.

edit: They didn't want to replace Bou's place so they chose to compose differently instead. Obviously not the best decision, but kept their word and that's respectable.

FTFY.

edit: They didn't want to replace Bou's place so they chose to compose differently instead. Obviously not the best decision, but kept their word and that's respectable.

But it was when they released Maple Gunman that their music style changed and Bou was still a member of the band.

FTFY.

Rottenecards_76602714_cgg5y466dh.jpg

If you had heard a song like Kakusei Heroism without knowing Bou had left and Takuya had replaced him, you would NEVER have guessed it was a different guitarist. You may not like the song itself, but no way would you have said "oh shit, they must have gotten a new guitarist because this sounds so different from before". You wouldn't have heard a god damn difference at all.

The difference between Shikisai Moment and Magnya Carta is a million times bigger than the difference between Magnya Carta and Gokutama Rock Cafe. Music-wise Gokutama Rock Cafe is nothing but a Magnya Carta v2.0, and you can hear that the majority of the songs are written by the same guys who wrote the majority of Magnya Carta. It's weaker, sure, but it sounds more or less the same.

If you had heard a song like Kakusei Heroism without knowing Bou had left and Takuya had replaced him, you would NEVER have guessed it was a different guitarist. You may not like the song itself, but no way would you have said "oh shit, they must have gotten a new guitarist because this sounds so different from before". You wouldn't have heard a god damn difference at all.

The difference between Shikisai Moment and Magnya Carta is a million times bigger than the difference between Magnya Carta and Gokutama Rock Cafe. Music-wise Gokutama Rock Cafe is nothing but a Magnya Carta v2.0, and you can hear that the majority of the songs are written by the same guys who wrote the majority of Magnya Carta. It's weaker, sure, but it sounds more or less the same.

You're right. Anyone who DIDN'T know he had left would have no way to tell the difference. How in the hell am I NOT gonna notice the addition of keyboard and new guitarist when I was a fan then.

It's whatever doe.

I completely read his sentence as "since Maple Gunman" and not as "before/during Maple Gunman".

So Seikun's saying that "Maple Gunman was a terrible track" and every track since?

My bad.

I'm not necessarily saying that Maple Gunman is a terrible track, but rather their sound took a more mainstream path which I think made the band less interesting.

This song is awesome.

If I hear drumming reminiscent of modern heavy metal, I'm out. Like, repulsed. I love metal, but I don't want it ANYWHERE near my visual kei. 

The whole "pretty boys pretty voices la la la forbidden romance MEETS super heavy double bass drumming, SHRED SOLOS BRO, eight string bass woahh!!" style is the sound of the apocalypse. I want to file charges against those bands for their crimes against visual kei and my ears. 

If I hear drumming reminiscent of modern heavy metal, I'm out. Like, repulsed. I love metal, but I don't want it ANYWHERE near my visual kei. 

The whole "pretty boys pretty voices la la la forbidden romance MEETS super heavy double bass drumming, SHRED SOLOS BRO, eight string bass woahh!!" style is the sound of the apocalypse. I want to file charges against those bands for their crimes against visual kei and my ears. 

When you say metal do you mean metalcore and shit? I agree with you then. But I have always loved solo's and solid drumming in my vkei bro. 

When you say metal do you mean metalcore and shit? I agree with you then. But I have always loved solo's and solid drumming in my vkei bro. 

Metalcore, ugh, absolutely - but what I mean was that I like rock and roll drumming in VK; big bombastic groovy and emotive (Shinya from LS, Sakura from L'arc, Minato from Dead End), and not the supertight almost-drum machine like metal drumming sound that you hear in a lot of modern stuff.

And solos are essential! Just the mix of the things I was describing turns me wayyyy off.... reminds me of Belle Ame from the Beck anime.

When you say "supertight almost-drum machine like metal drumming" my first thought were Deathgaze. Super triggered drums with machine-esque sounding clicking "bass" drums. Heh.

When you say "supertight almost-drum machine like metal drumming" my first thought were Deathgaze. Super triggered drums with machine-esque sounding clicking "bass" drums. Heh.

This has always been the thing that bothers me most instrumentally with DG

Finally an appropriate place where I can voice my very unpopular opinion about a band everyone seems to be in love with: MEJIBRAY

First of all, I want to say that I love MEJIBRAY's older releases (2014 and back), but ever since they got an upsurge in popularity, I really think that their music has began deteriorating.

Can I also mention the fact that so many of their songs sound the same? That they use the same tone, chord, etc. in so many of their songs that now it just makes me yawn? I think their songs this year were the worst (especially Eiki oh my god do not get me started on this garbage).

I can acknowledge that all of them have some talent (especially MIA, his guitar solos always slay me), but there are some notes that Tsuzuku "vomits" out that do not sound very pleasant at all (but his screams are amazing, really, but comparing him side to side with other renowned vocalists in the industry, he will fall flat).

And their looks are like...wtf now? I think they're trying way, way too hard to be edgy (although Koichi's current look is beautiful, he looks very good). I think most of their popularity comes from their looks, though. I cannot go a day without finding someone literally "melting" over Tsuzuku's appearance. (dude has some nice tats and a very nice makeup-less face but he isn't that hot).

It's come to the point now that I cringe every time I hear they're coming out with something new (they literally come out with things at rocket-fire speed. I think they need to settle and conjure up something really good), and their fans...holy crap, their fans. I avoid most of them like the plague. I admit Meji has brought a lot of newcomers into the jrock/visual kei fandom, but many of them....have little to no courtesy.

Anyway that's my two cents, with excessive use of parentheses.

Finally an appropriate place where I can voice my very unpopular opinion about a band everyone seems to be in love with: MEJIBRAY

First of all, I want to say that I love MEJIBRAY's older releases (2014 and back), but ever since they got an upsurge in popularity, I really think that their music has began deteriorating.

Can I also mention the fact that so many of their songs sound the same? That they use the same tone, chord, etc. in so many of their songs that now it just makes me yawn? I think their songs this year were the worst (especially Eiki oh my god do not get me started on this garbage).

I can acknowledge that all of them have some talent (especially MIA, his guitar solos always slay me), but there are some notes that Tsuzuku "vomits" out that do not sound very pleasant at all (but his screams are amazing, really, but comparing him side to side with other renowned vocalists in the industry, he will fall flat).

And their looks are like...wtf now? I think they're trying way, way too hard to be edgy (although Koichi's current look is beautiful, he looks very good). I think most of their popularity comes from their looks, though. I cannot go a day without finding someone literally "melting" over Tsuzuku's appearance. (dude has some nice tats and a very nice makeup-less face but he isn't that hot).

It's come to the point now that I cringe every time I hear they're coming out with something new (they literally come out with things at rocket-fire speed. I think they need to settle and conjure up something really good), and their fans...holy crap, their fans. I avoid most of them like the plague. I admit Meji has brought a lot of newcomers into the jrock/visual kei fandom, but many of them....have little to no courtesy.

Anyway that's my two cents, with excessive use of parentheses.

This is almost a consensus on mejibray's music by now, which is sadly true and I agree.

I love trash

As much as I love Meji, I'd honestly be in favor of them going on break of it meant something good would come out of it. Nepenthes was the last one that had me hooked and then they kind of lost me after that. I know it will be hard for a lot of the fans, especially since half the bands that go on break don't come out of it, but I'd be willing to wait for them to put out something great instead of more songs that sound just like the others. Or at the very least they could spend more time with each new release.

I don't know about everyone else, but I still see quite a bit of potential with them, but I guess we can only wait and see.

- Recent Nogod sucks, used to be my favorite band.
- Jupiter sucks, they really have no talent to write memorable songs.
- Recent Alice 9 sucks, Diawolf is also very generic and boring.
- Recent Nightmare sucks, what happened to that band?
- Recent SUG & Sid sucks, where did the spark go?
- Gazette hasn't released even one good song the last 6 years.
- Kamijo's solo is better than versailles.
- I miss KuRt

Glay is the best Japanese band of all time.

Glay is the best Japanese band of all time.

I'm partially with you on that. New Glay can be hit or miss, but almost everything up to Love Is Beautiful is gold IMO.

- Jupiter sucks, they really have no talent to write memorable songs.

Is that an unpopular opinion? Most people I talk to seem to agree.