CAT5

Post your "UNPOPULAR" music opinions!

That's your problem. Go listen to a better album and then you'll see what fans saw in him a few years ago. I suggest Miyaviuta~Dokusou~, Galyuu, or even Miyavizm.

Yep, I know and expected that haha. I always pick songs which maybe aren't the best first listen choices. And the oldies are the classics right? Thanks very much for the suggestions, I'll check them all out. 

^Yeah, Miyaviuta~Dokusou~ is glorious. What's My Name?, on the other hand, is the album that made me stop listening to Miyavi for a while. Couldn't get into it at all.

^ I was going to reply with a sarcastic comment but then I thought, better not, since I don't want it to come off as being rude when it's just a joke. >< Anyway, I'll post another 'unpopular opinion,' which, I'm guessing is unpopular, seeing as how popular these artists are. I listen to them sometimes, but I can't understand why/how they're so popular or famous; X Japan and Miyavi (and a couple of other populars but I don't want to be a hater xD). I know, I know, preferences and personal tastes, and seeing as how they were such influencial music acts.. it's just, yeah, I don't know, I guess I can't get into them as much as others. I bought What's My Name by Miyavi and it's the only album I've regretted getting.. >.< Just because of his vocals I mean, and I know I say I always love a vocalist who isn't that great at singing but I just couldn't enjoy the album for some reason, apart from the instrumental parts (he is a fabulous guitarist, no doubt about that!).. On another note, Yoshiki definitely isn't helping me fall for X Japan haha. xD I should give them another listen actually, probably change my mind if I listen a lot more and to their classics.. Too much hating from me at the moment, sorry sorry, shutting up

Scratch out all that bs!! I knew I'm always wrong. xD Already like his indies work, why'd he change style so much? Again, so much learning I'm in for. Ignore any more posts from me lol. Loads of old works by musicians I must listen to now.

about x japan

it's not necessary  to like a band but it is good just to have knowledge of their value and why people respect them.

i mean do you understand why  people respect them or like them? then do not try to find why you do not like their music is normal.music taste is personal.

(actually if you can't understand the point of  view of others,despite if you disagree or not with them.you can't make any good argument and support it at the end imo. )

about x japan

it's not necessary  to like a band but it is good just to have knowledge of their value and why people respect them.

i mean do you understand why  people respect them or like them? then do not try to find why you do not like their music is normal.music taste is personal.

(actually if you can't understand the point of  view of others,despite if you disagree or not with them.you can't make any good argument and support it at the end imo. )

Umm well, yeah, I respect all artists if they don't promote any bad themes or are a bad person in general. I know who X Japan are and their influence in the genre, I meant no disrespecting anybody with my comment, I just wanted to join in with discussing. And let me tell you I DO respect and value them, just wasn't a fan (yeah, gave them a listen again, I regret even commenting again on here lol) I've now learnt that listening to one piece of a musicians' work won't always show what they're made of. I now understand that. Totally agree with the bold, but like I already said, I was just bringing up a couple of bands I can't understand are as popular as they are. I've seen others just do that here, thought it'd be alright. But it just goes to prove that that was an unpopular opinion lol. MY mistake. I CAN'T make any kind of arguement, I know, seriously. Just, commenting. And, IMO, that was all, sorry. :/

why are you so apologetic. i know you respect them from the way you write and don't stop commenting. when most people here  say some bullshit unpopular opinion of theirs in a completely stupid dogmatic way and they do not care xD. and i am very close to answer them similar like " your opinion is a mediocre with constantly poor execution."

anyway i don't listen to x japan either. plus  i don't like power metal. but i can't deny they are pioneers of visual kei and value them for that

176BIZ was never going to succeed because it was a very unstable band musically. Too many drastic music styles changes. They seemed to be wandering aimlessly around the music world...

Change or "progression" in musical style or appearance is widely viewed a positive value. That may have the reason that we as a human race always want to overcome old structures or previous generations.

On the contrary, people who speak for stagnation or against progression for certain artists or bands are often turned down to be elitist trolls or whatever.

I don't believe that any of the arguments can be generally applied (for the UNPOPULAR OPINION mainly the argument for progression) as it contains generally a matter of taste.

In fact, I believe people only use this "bands have to develop to stay good" argument if they themselves have no problem with the end result of band's progressions they base their argumentation on.

Change or "progression" in musical style or appearance is widely viewed a positive value. That may have the reason that we as a human race always want to overcome old structures or previous generations.

On the contrary, people who speak for stagnation or against progression for certain artists or bands are often turned down to be elitist trolls or whatever.

I don't believe that any of the arguments can be generally applied (for the UNPOPULAR OPINION mainly the argument for progression) as it contains generally a matter of taste.

In fact, I believe people only use this "bands have to develop to stay good" argument if they themselves have no problem with the end result of band's progressions they base their argumentation on.

change and progression  is not the same thing exactly.i think the popular idea is progression.change is a matter of taste like you said  (others find it interesting ,for others is a reason to leave)

progression doesn't mean changing the sound of the band though and suddenly become from metal to pop for example.

isn't it more like a maturity over years?

or every album has something new .a different story to give.

i think is the popular idea because is more healthy than being stuck in a loop. (i mean even a degree of it is natural and unavoidable in life so the idea is more healthy to accept it  or want it than try to stop it)

if you are already perfect though maybe you don't have anywhere to progress to xD

but sure there must be people with the unpopular opinion. that don't want to progress?

I insist, 176BIZ was never going to succeed. They didn't have clear what path they wanted to walk through.

At least in Visual Kei you can stick to a specific style and make even more awesome riffs with every release.

^ "progress" is just a synonym for change that someone happens to be agreeable with :P

but you can say your opinion and in every band/case might be different. you can say for example "i do not think this change is useful

and it's making the band worse. so it's not progress".and explain your point of view .  or you can say "the band might be evolving but it's different than my personal taste."

i don't see what is the problem . this is what discussions are for . and people have different opinions.

but indeed the popular opinion is that  is better to move forward and progress  and this can't happen without change. but that doesn't mean it has to be radical always.every case is different. everyone has different personality

@miyuu I apologize for linguistic problems, since english is not my 1st language. I of course meant change first and foremost.

isn't it more like a maturity over years?
or every album has something new .a different story to give.
i think is the popular idea because is more healthy than being stuck in a loop. (i mean even a degree of it is natural and unavoidable in life so the idea is more healthy to accept it  or want it than try to stop it)
if you are already perfect though maybe you don't have anywhere to progress to xD

I talked about situations in which bands made more or less "noticeable" changes in their formula, be it music, style, whatever. Situations in which those discussions about change or stagnation usually appear. Of course they also appear on bands who stay more or less the same over the years, but well.

But otherwise it's really a matter of opinion, as I said. When is a band "mature", what defines "maturity" in that context, in what intensity do you view album differences, why you think "loops" are bad or change is generally "healthy". It of course proves my point, thanks for that :)

i am not sure if i should continue this because to be honest i don't understand what you are saying.
do you disagree? you think stuck in a loop is a good thing? you think people/bands shouldn't change? or is a general comment that change is a matter of taste.without change people would never improve. i mean sure it's a risk you might become worse. but to have any progress you need change.

but some people indeed are more revolutionary than others in personality . not everyone can be that and not everyone needs to be that .
or maybe you think maturity is more stability? stability in sound doesn't mean stuck in a loop though  and not progress.
my personal taste is i want stability in the basis usually. if i recognise you ,you can have all the radical changes you want or even recreate yourself but i still can tell it's you.it's still you.like you have a unique trade mark (or purpose or value or an attitude or a characteristic). (what if you even recreate yourself and i can still recognise you from something)

usually i don't like change when you change the "trademark" into something i don't like. sorry if i am not very clear. it's difficult to explain xD. what if you become something completely different.

it's stupid but i was thinking this because deg made an album with origin in title and then merry with tittle NOnsense MARKet xD

There's nohing bad with being stuck in a loop as long as what you're doing are of high quaity. As long as the quality of the music (or your art in general, be it music, film, comics, books or whatever) doesn't drop there's not a single need of change to be honest. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind bands changing their sound, but I don't mind bands staying the same either.

@ miyuu

I didn't take positions. I merely took your position and explained how this is a matter of opinion. If you view band's changes as "mature" and a "healthy" thing generally, then that's based on your point of view what "maturity" in music really is and why bands "have" to change in favor of health (unless their music is not "absolutely perfect" as you phrased it).

You represent the fairly common opinion that change is necessary and/or has to be accepted as a sign of maturity or development, take it as you like.

My UNPOPULAR OPINION was that I don't take positions in this issue and precisely, I don't promote the view that an artist's change generally has a "good" value of any sort, may it be maturity or development or the mere necessity of doing so. Simply for the fact that it doesn't prove a point other than your personal favor, which you ironically fabulously presented in your last 2 sentences. ;)

This wasn't meant to be a discussion to elaborate your points of view, I only highlighted THAT your had this point of view. I don't use words like "maturity" in music.

this is what i get from what you are telling ,you have no opinion if change is good or bad.
my opinion is : without a degree of change there is no progress. who the fuck in a society doesn't want to advance
and promotes going backwards or being close minded.or stuck. there s a reason is a popular opinion.
now if you want to discuss what band is perfect in a high quality and doesn't need any difference at all but only to repeat the same things.
i do not know i am going to stop answering because i don't think we get anywhere productive.we repeat the same things.

although i said in almost every fricking post i made clearly that not everyone can make changes without failing. and not everyone need to do it . you failed to see it.

if you are happy with yourself ,don't progress. stay where you are.

this is what i get from what you are telling ,you have no opinion if change is good or bad.

my opinion is : without a degree of change there is no progress. who the fuck in a society doesn't want to advance

and promotes going backwards or being close minded.or stuck. there s a reason is a popular opinion.

No, what DogManX is simply saying is that there is no "good" or "bad" change independent of the person making the judgement, i.e. you, another fan of the band, or whoever else.

Let me break it down. To say that a band's music has "changed" is to be making an objective, factual statement - namely, you listen to the band's music and point out how certain aspects of it are now different from before. No one is even going to dispute these factual claims unless they're deaf or you're plain wrong. But to say that the music has "progressed" (or regressed) is to add a normative spin on whatever it is that has changed - you are making a value judgment, and this claim being made is only specific to you, and anyone else who (happens to) agree with you.

I'm in complete agreement with DogManX here, even if it may be an unpopular opinion. You said that "without a degree of change there is no progress". Implicit in this is the presupposition that there is such a thing as "progress" that is separable from whoever it is that decides what "progress" means, and which everyone ought to strive towards regardless. This is already a very dubious claim in politics, but even more so when we find ourselves in the sphere of art and aesthetics (which music is part of). Does abstract art represent "progress" from Renaissance painting? How about Prokofiev over Bach? 20th-century stream-of-consciousness literature over Charles Dickens? Who decides?

i was thinking to edit and add before. i think i was being accidentally political xD between liberalism and conservative perhaps. i think being conservative is  close minded.

Is abstract art a progress from Renaissance painting?

for example i am not here to judge what is better. i am here to support change and different point of views. because we wouldn't have both(abstract&  Renaissance) without change. we would have only one. do you think one of them is not necessary. it wouldn't matter if it never existed?. because i find more interesting that both exist.

i don't deny that it can be bad change. but you can't block change completely, without blocking the advantage that comes with it. you can block bad change with critical thinking

Wow. My opinion already makes people mad. I definitely did a hit here.

@ miyuu You don't seem to understand the very topic we talk about. In real life you may make understandable points about the "progress" of technique and social issues, but music is art. It is completely subject to individual perception. As is your opinion on the value of change in music. And this is not about "blocking change". You totally missed the point here. This is about people valuating change in music artists based on their personal interests, putting labels like "progress", "regress" or "development" or "maturity" on it. And about me saying these statements cannot be made reasonably, because they merely reflect the personal favor of the one making them, as you f.e. demonstrated multiple times now.