Sign in to follow this  
kurenaishineek

Recommend me some VK ...

As in the title im looking for some VK recommendations , lately i want to add some bands to my collection . Im rather a new VK hater , but still i wanna try some stuff and maybe i find something i will like . First i wanna say what im not looking for and what makes me gate new Vk , its all those "fake" auto tuned growls and shouts that sound like crap . When i hear them i feel like im gonna vomit my brain out . All those shitty effects only destroy true brutal vocals , that where meant to be brutal and not f...ed up . So im looking for VK bands where vocalist now how to growl and shout without all those stupid effects . I dont mid auto tune on clean vocals , but not on growls . I know i could look for myself but i checked 50 bands since last week all with screams , shouts and growls on some stupid effects that made them sound like frog croaking having a hard case of constipation . Heres what i found good :

Lycaon - Early stuff very good , later a little too boring for my taste .

Nocturnal Bloodlust - i follow em since before they started to be VK and they are good , but i hate em for losing 3 members after wanting to go VK most stupid choice and the worst loss to japanese extreme music scene , cause there are only 3 deathcore bands now .

Versailles - they more old school VK then new school , awesome band

Girugamesh - best shouts ever , after Music theyre albums started to be to Pop-ish .

CodeRebirth - sounds promising , but only 4 songs , thats not too much to rate them yet

Deluhi - what to say leda learned a lot from syu so his guitar work got awesome on later stuff , and the shouts where really brutal and great .

ive listened to them for a while , but i got bored with bands who mix Alternative Metal and Metalcore , because they use only fast riffs from metalcore and nothing more . Also there is too many bands doing this mix , making this boring . This song is not better it sound like what i heard from them 2 years ago , repeatable not to mention most other bands with fake shouts and growls have better guitar work then Deathgaze .

So... are you interested in good visual kei bands or only in good visual kei bands from the last 3 years that play metal?

You might like GALEYD if you enjoyed DELUHI. They have some pretty sweet guitars and overall catchy metal-influenced songs (no growling tho).

As in the title im looking for some VK recommendations , lately i want to add some bands to my collection . Im rather a new VK hater , but still i wanna try some stuff and maybe i find something i will like . First i wanna say what im not looking for and what makes me gate new Vk , its all those "fake" auto tuned growls and shouts that sound like crap . When i hear them i feel like im gonna vomit my brain out . All those shitty effects only destroy true brutal vocals , that where meant to be brutal and not f...ed up . So im looking for VK bands where vocalist now how to growl and shout without all those stupid effects . I dont mid auto tune on clean vocals , but not on growls . I know i could look for myself but i checked 50 bands since last week all with screams , shouts and growls on some stupid effects that made them sound like frog croaking having a hard case of constipation . Heres what i found good :

Lycaon - Early stuff very good , later a little too boring for my taste .

Nocturnal Bloodlust - i follow em since before they started to be VK and they are good , but i hate em for losing 3 members after wanting to go VK most stupid choice and the worst loss to japanese extreme music scene , cause there are only 3 deathcore bands now .

Versailles - they more old school VK then new school , awesome band

Girugamesh - best shouts ever , after Music theyre albums started to be to Pop-ish .

CodeRebirth - sounds promising , but only 4 songs , thats not too much to rate them yet

Deluhi - what to say leda learned a lot from syu so his guitar work got awesome on later stuff , and the shouts where really brutal and great .

As a genre, visual kei is a jack of all trades and a master of none. It just doesn't embody the characteristics that you are searching for and there are not many bands that do what you want well. The most "brutal" visual kei band I can think of immediately would be Nocturnal Bloodlust and that's because they came from the deathcore scene and decided to add a visual component later. Even they don't completely escape the trappings of visual kei!

The communication between you and I (and everyone else that wants to recommend you something) is going to be tough as well, since I don't understand what your criteria for "brutal" is. For ease's sake I'll believe the bands you listed above are the ones you liked and I'll recommend a few of the heavy bands I can see lining up with your tastes.

These are in no particular order.

D'espairsRay

If you are searching for genuinely dark music, you cannot do better than D'espairsRay. People's recommendations from this band vary based on what they like most. I'll break it up into 3 general time periods:

Earlier, gothic stuff was at it's best with SEXUAL BEAST:

Middle-era, not as gothic but still pretty dark stuff screams for [coll:set]:

Late-era, sometimes poppy but with an overall somber mood to it is best exemplified by REDEEMER, even though the track here is from their last album MONSTERS:

Lament.

A newer visual kei band that sounds like a slice out of the old Nagoya kei scene. They stick true to the principles of that "influence" with gritty, gothic music. Constantly underestimated because it's just two members that haven't been part of anything too major or well-known, I am about to change that.

From TOTENTANZ, a good idea of what their sound is like is Whirling Black

MUCC

They don't sound like it these days but these guys used to rock hard. Rather, I should say metal since they played nu-metal. Before that they played a distinct, influential style of angura. I'll give you an idea of both here since if I don't you may never get another good reason to.

My favorite track from their angura stage was

from Tsuuzetsu.

Since I'm giving you a lot to go through, the shorter but Converge-like

from Kuchiki no Tou is good enough for an impression of their "nu-metal" phase.
Onmyouza

Just in time to show you that not everything I'm going to recommend you is bleak and plodding, I send you a band that straddles the lines between visual kei and not visual kei (although this image may convince you otherwise). These guys are even more of a gem from the visual scene because they have a skilled, operatic female lead, dual vocals and a distinct heavy metal feel. Even if it turns out to be something you don't like, it's worth being exposed to at least.

Something to cheer you up at this point. This is firmly metal but on the more upbeat side. from Garyotensei.

In case you wonder if they can handle heavy music, here's 組曲「鬼子母神」 ~膾 from their latest album Kishibojin.

THE PIASS

Here's a band that's been around almost as long as I have! THE PIASS is an interesting band with a refreshing sound and a unique history that's worth reading about. Lots of hard rock and thrash influences here, which is also something you don't hear very often from this scene. If you're looking for lots of growls, you won't find them here. You'll get banshee screams instead, which I think is a good substitute. Like I said with Onmyouza above, even if it turns out to be something you don't like, it's worth being exposed to at least.

Here's

from Dolei.
I'll leave you with this for now. If you let me know what you like out of this bunch we can give you more specific responses.

So... are you interested in good visual kei bands or only in good visual kei bands from the last 3 years that play metal?

Well i would like to look at some new stuff , i know a lot from oldschool vk scene from before 10 years , so something good from last 10 years .

Im listening to onmyouza but i dont really treat them as a visual kei band , rather as a kabuki style heavy metal band like seikima II , im listening to Galeyd and D'espairs Ray as well . From mucc i like there darker and heavier stuff like the album 666 .

Lament has muted shouts , and thats what i dont want at all , i can take autotune normal vocals , but muted shouts and growls sound like they dont even know how to shout and growl , the same goes for the Piass . I wan real shouts and growls not something like this .

if you shout or growl only this is aceptable , no crapy efects that make the vocals sound muted .

If you're looking for vocals like that and you restrict yourself to VK you're gonna have a real bad time. There aren't many visual bands without muted growls. You're better off with looking into the metal scene, seriously.

Only two bands seriously worth considering for the vocal aspect alone is Ha;qch. and GREGORY and the former isn't very good instrumentally. That just leaves us with GREGORY.

hard to please, eh?

well, non-vk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrbI-GamyBI

as far as VK goes, maybe you'll like Eat You Alive. try Sandy from their latest album. Or Lynch earlier works... I agree with Zess, VK is for those who likes people screaming like a pig being butchered, br00tal Nocturnal Bloodlust-esque is really uncommon.

For non-VK im and expert , i know all those non-VK you gave here , and i know all other non-VK metal bands from japan , thats why i wanted to try something else and come back to VK . Gregory sounds really good .

@Maniac , 3 random favs eh? Man you hit the spot , the normal vocals are a little unskilled in some of them but the shouts and screams are good , and Jiluka had some nice guitar work there too .

I don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for, because I've been mostly into vk for years, but I think their growls are good? I like these bands at least. I know more bands, these are bands that are active right now, not the disbanded ones.

If you like DELUHI you should listen to UNDIVIDE (Leda's band, disbanded) and Sujk's solo project.

All bands are good and what i was looking but only Disgust got to me , as a band that sounded really good , the guitar work was definitely better then in the rest of those bands . Thanks for all the recommendations , ive picked out some of the bands to check em more closely . If you remember any other good bands in this way than keep it coming :D .

Well, if you're looking for something really visual kei with screams, this is one of my favs

If you want real growls maybe you should try to listen to another music genres?

Sign in to follow this