Velovelo

Truly crappy Western "visual kei" inspired music

Wait, isn't this another omnibus with Kairu in it? That guy is ace, fucking love his voice and his approach to music. He's one of the few VK-inspired artists who actually gets his shit together in a good way.

Double post!

Well, the band that started this thread has made a return! 

They've done a PV, and while it's alright instrumentally, you still have to wonder about fence posts stuck in the vocalist's arse.

Just swap out vocalists, you might be competent!

The Sada video is kinda funny. What they need is some more charismatic vocals. Being on-key not required, but there should be at least some vocal acrobatics, sudden changes in pitch, piercing screams, suggestive whispering and maniacal laughter. Then you'd have a perfect oldschool vk demo. That guy is pretty boring though.

wow this is just mean

^ The fate of being an artist. If you publish your work, then there will be people criticising it and not everyone will be nice while doing it.

I and Arithemtica have already talked about Sada and he is indeed terrible, but for old skewl standards it's adorably terrible, it really just misses more typical 90s dark veekay craziness. I'd still wish there would be decent old school VK influenced bands who don't sound just simply boring and awful

I always assumed that glam metal was one of the things that inspired the VK bands nowadays. So, what the "western VK" bands are doing is very similar to the bands back in the 80s... just more feminine and weebish.

Odd, isn't it? Instead of copying glam bands, they're copying the bands that copied the glam bands.

I'd still wish there would be decent old school VK influenced bands who don't sound just simply boring and awful

so you should check my band 8D

just kidding, we're also awful and boring but you know... trying to promote

Not sure if they are "vk inspired" (colorful hair wasn't exactly invented by visual kei), and I don't see any obvious influences in music, member names, song titles etc. (Not that I looked too deeply though.)

But even if they are, that song isn't really crappy. It's not my type of music, so I have no desire to listen to it again, but apparently they do know how to play their instruments decently, the song is okay for what it is, and the vocalist doesn't make my toenails roll up.

I'd say it's just an average rock song by people who happen to have rather extravagant hair colors and may have taken some fashion hints from vk, but the music is hardly "truly crappy" compared to other things in this thread.

Yes.

The reason why I brought up that band is because not only do they call their videos "PVs" (a Japanese thing to do); but their members play the same instruments as each member of Dir en grey. They also wrote a song that sounds exactly like IN THE MIDDLE OF CHAOS by the GazettE. I guess it would require further knowledge of the band to assess whether they are "Truly crappy western 'visual kei'"; but their image would indicate that's what they're aiming for.

I think they are trying to be more of DEG x Gazette-kind of mess (considering the fact that they even went out of their way to emulate DSS  in one of their songs and hire Ted Jensen for mastering (??????????))

Also, I remember the middle guy being very pricky but hey, DEGstania is never friendly towards people thinking "outside its borders"...

I am pretty sure they only chose the term "PV" to target the japanese audience, as they already toured there just a few days ago. 

"The Distance" is pretty bleh compared to their other stuff, though. 

I wouldn't put them into the crappy category at all, to be honest. 

They have another MV and full songs on YT.

Whew! Just scanned through the whole tread and I'm relieved that the VK inspired band I played in aren't mentioned anywhere as of yet! :urg:

To what little credit we had, I think we were pretty much the first VK-inspired band formed in Sweden. Had a bunch of original song which where deftly not preserved for posterity (at least none of the good ones were).

Either way - we weren't cool enough and nobody liked us, so that sorted our "career" pretty efficiently.

Still - I learned a whole lot of things during the experience ...mainly lots of stuff to avoid and what not to do when you're in a band ;)

Fun times overall though ...I get my portions of nostalgia, though I have to admit that playing out live at crowded bullshit conventions with crap equipment being scrutinized by not-very-approving DEG fangirls is something I can live without these days.

The best gigs were when we played for mostly non-VK people ...had we toned down our shitty makeup and started to sing in English or Swedish, maybe something would've come out of it. Who knows! But on the other side - how h4rdc0re is that?

There exists at least one video up on YouTube of our horrendous escapades, but I'll keep that a secret for now.

Uglymouth is forbidden to chime in on this question ;)

I think there's nothing to be ashamed about. I've had some bad projects and I'm also in an old school vk influenced project that I formed online through this site. Every band has been shit when they first started out. It takes a lot balls to put yourself out there and to try. It's a lot easier to just sit back behind your computer and say "Lol look at these sucky weeaboo poserz" Than to try it yourself.

I do appreciate this thread though and I think it's cool to share music in this way bad or not. All forms of criticism can help a band. I listen to criticism and try to become better with it. Although some people just like to be assholes too. My band is still working on an album and I look forward to hearing all of your criticism or impressions when it's finished. I'll even post it in the "Truly crappy western vk" thread here.

I'd also like to say that no matter how shit I feel about my past or new works I do it all because of my love for music and expression. A lot of people are afraid to put themselves out there but the good artists continue to do so and continue to grow. Most of the people in these bands are teenagers or very young and inexperienced. Take a look at some of your beloved Jrock bands at the same age, level of equipment, etc and you probably won't see much better.