CAT5

What bands would you introduce j-rock virgins to first?

I would inmtroduce them with whatever I think is good. Kagrra, Merry and Anti Feminism.

If we take japanese rock music in general, I would also introduce them to bands such as Boris, Mono, Gauze and Sigh.

Depends if the people are into harder music (Anti Feminism, Gauze and Sigh) or not so hard music (the rest).

i will usually will try to look for their music references,

it will be much easier to introduce a foreign band when the sounds are pretty similiar.

But most of the time, Dir en Grey and Elle Garden never fail lol

there will be at least one song from them that sticks to everybody. Don't hate me for saying this, it's really happened.

From there, people will usually starts to find out more and more bands that suit with them ears.

But most of the time, Dir en Grey and Elle Garden never fail lol

If we're talking about the same band, sure! Ellegarden has been the band, which I've always introduced to everyone. Also, I show ""normal"" bands, because I hate it when they have always thought that Japan has only these "KAWAII DESU NE~"- pinkypinky-bands. So yeah, of course I'll look at their "earlier" music taste, when I'm showing some good band's music.

Depends. I've found a lot of my friends react well to Kaya. He's very accessible.

If they're into rock, I'll usually point them to Gazette or DEATHGAZE or whatever, even if I'm not exactly fond of them.

I think maybe MALICE MIZER's Beast of Blood (that always seems to work) or some Dir en grey, or Gazette. But it all depends on the personal taste of whom I want to introduce the music to, I guess.

I've also found that showing something completely out there (like Aicle or Eliphas Levi) gets them hooked. My ex-boyfriend got into VK through Key-Party bands.

I guess this would only apply to VK stuff, though.

I'd recommend Luna Sea, because I always recommend Luna Sea.

But it really depends on the person and their taste. I would also recommend stuff I don't care for much myself (say, L'arc en ciel) if I think that this is something they might enjoy.

Usually whatever I like and because I'm just that awesome, it's worked pretty much 99% of the time. Then again, I haven't tried to convert somebody for some years now. After high school, I was pretty much fortunate to always know people who were already into it and you can't spread the awesomeness around too thin mang.

Dir en Grey, ASIAN KUNG-FU GENERATION, Girugämesh. If they don't like any of those the don't like J-rock.

I guess it would depend on their music tastes mostly, so it is hard to say.

If they like more mainstream, classic metal - Loudness or Anthem

If they like more standard pop/alternative rock - B'z or Luna Sea

If they have pretty eclectic/"indie" tastes - Number Girl or Boris

If they like the really fast heavy "core" stuff - Sunsgrind or MUCC

i like to follow champs' methods for introducing j-rock bands

then connect the artists to less common bands

like L'Arc~en~Ciel -> DIE IN CRIES -> D'ERLANGER -> BUG

-> creature creature -> DEAD END

-> LUNA SEA

+yukihiro was in die in cries, tetsu was on creature creature, LUNA SEA is one of their idol, etc.

wikipedia, grassthread and youtube can also also help me introduce to them

i even put commercial clips of L'Arc~en~Ciel, Dir en grey, D'ERLANGER in mobiles24

i dont know if it can attract new people into j-rock.

it really depends on people's taste like others said.

Anything on Matina or other bands with crappy vocals, that way I can have them all to myself D

Nahh, I've introduced people to visual-kei bands before. Generally Versailles goes over well, as did Moi Dix Mois, Duel Jewel, D'espairsRay, and Phantasmagoria. Metis Gretel / Megaromania / and Nega (don't blame them) did not.

Dir en grey. They're the most accessible and easiest to get into. Don't want to put someone into shock by showing them trannies.

Dir en grey. They're the most accessible and easiest to get into.

haha, I like Dir en Grey, but I dunno...it actually took me QUITE a while to get over Kyo's vocals.

With that said, if one can dig Kyo's vocals, they'll be well prepared to bite into a good chunk of VK.