CAT5

What bands would you introduce j-rock virgins to first?

Depends on the virgin in question. If they like shoegaze, I'd recommend Plastic Tree. If they like pop-rock, I'd recommend Laruku, and so on.

LUNA SEA for everyone no matter what their taste in music is, I'd say.

I mean, if songs like IN SILENCE, STORM and ROSIER aren't a good introduction to Japanese rock music, then I don't know what is...

L'Arc~en~Ciel, i don't know why but most people i know or see on forums say they got into Japanese

music because of these guys, i then show them some of my fave bands that got me into the music

(DEAD END, Luna Sea and Siam Shade) and they don't like them. :(

MAKES ME RAGE!!!! :twisted:

EDIT: I do like L'Arc~en~Ciel too though.

my cousin likes MOON AND MEMORIES of D'ERLANGER and my dad likes Pieces of L'Arc~en~Ciel.

actually DEAD END, LUNA SEA and Siam Shade are connected with other and with L'Arc.

i know your feelings Masamune, i feel the same as you.

I would start with ONE OK ROCK, since they aren't that visual. After that I would start sending them stuff like D and Versailles, since that's what I like most.

9GOATS BLACK OUT works well with mothers.

Well, with my mother at least.

My mom doesn't like anything of the stuff I listen too. She doesn't mind Alice Nine that much though. I could play the DVD in the living room with her in it, so that's alot XD

None, spare the poor souls the agony.

In all honesty tho it depends on their musical preferences, cause say if they like poppy songs more than hard rock, I would not throw Dir en grey at them. ( Mind you if they really like POP, Jrock is not an option. Throw Johnny's at them instead.)

My vote goes to LUNA SEA

9GOATS BLACK OUT works well with mothers.

Well, with my mother at least.

I think that won't work for my mom, sadly

But SID might (although people would just go down the jpop path from then on)

Or La'cryma Christi's Sculpture of Time f*ck yes XD

I use to ease my friends into it by starting with bands that use a lot of understandable English...Ellegarden..Cold Rain...FACT.

It's been easier to break my friends lately though b/c of anime and seeing some bands live at Otakon. I tend to stick with music along those lines until they want to explore on their own.

Mostly, I just start with songs that have various sounds from bands I like: Dir en grey, Plastic Tree, Merry, Unsraw, D'espairsray, Versailles, Gazette, Rie fu, etc.

Out of all those bands, there's likely to be something they'll like. :dansu:

To think about it, it would be good to introduce ones that are cool even from a more objective perspective. Like ones with really impressive guitar work or cool concepts, so I'll add a few more to my list.

NUMBER GIRL

Merry

Sugar

KYOKUTOU GIRL FRIEND

Kagrra,

I realize it's kind of weird, but I wouldn't introduce my really really favorite bands first. It's probably just because I'm surrounded with non-music listeners, but most people's reactions to any music I listen to tends to be "WTF?" or "umm... no thanks" -_- WHATEVER I'M NOT THE ONLY PERSON WHO THINKS THESE BANDS ARE GOOD D<