1. 1. Which band is better?

• Kagrra,
    • 己龍 (Kiryu)

Kagrra,

Kagrra+may+2010.png

VS.

己龍 (Kiryu)

kiryu.png

The battle is on! Two bands who are mostly known for the traditional Japanese influences that they incorporate into their music. Which one do you think is better AND WHY?

Easy choice for me. Kagrra, (eventhough literally almost every song of theirs blend together for me) is a pleasant listen, while Kiryu is just plain irritating.

I like Kiryu, but for me it's definitely Kagrra, - easy choice. Kiryu are much harder to get used to, more erratic, partially confusing. As said, I enjoy them, but Kagrra, is a much easier listen and thus more enjoyable to my ears.

I love them both. But it's also an easy choice for me: Kagrra, They use the traditional sound better, their songs are well composed and Isshi's voice was... he sang beautiful. I really like their PV's too. Their whole disco is amazing imo~
Also, I really like Kiryu. They are more agressive and heavy than Kagrra, was, if I can say that. Their music is great, I enjoy it. They are improving a lot. I think they're the best actual VK band which incorporates traditional Japanese into their music. So go ahead, Kiryu! :3

Ehhhhh, aside from the traditional Japanese elements these bands are like apples to oranges. Sure they're both fruit but the similarities end there. Both use traditional Japanese elements but that's kinda where it ends and they're two totally different bands. It's hard to explain why one is better than the other because they excel in completely different areas and it just comes down to personal taste.

Personally I prefer Kiryu since I like the chaotic, heavier, messier sounding style they have that can be easily compared to bands from Matina or KEY PARTY. Yet they become fairly bland and samey after awhile, I realized sometime ago after their second album that all my favourite Kiryu songs were basically structured identically. Just change a rift or two, lyrics and the synth and now they have a new song.

Kagrra, is good too but not so much my cup of tea. I enjoy them here and there but I guess the soft easy listening not so much for me. I bet if I spoke fluent Japanese their music might appeal to me more since I'd have lyrics to possibly keep my attention. Yet I haven't listened to Kaggra, for over a year or two now. Maybe I’ll give them a spin when I get home and check out some things I may have missed, might change my mind.

So basically just going with Kiryu for now. More familiar with them and prefer their chaotic, heavy and messy music.

easy choice: Kagrra,
I love Kiryu too but to make things short I grew up with a lot of old bands and Kagrra, is one of those bands.

Ehhhhh, aside from the traditional Japanese elements these bands are like apples to oranges. Sure they're both fruit but the similarities end there. Both use traditional Japanese elements but that's kinda where it ends and they're two totally different bands.

Agreed. I'd compare Kiryu more to Aicle or somebody, but as the battle stands. Kagrra all the way! I absolutely can't stand the whole discography of Kiryu because everything seems to sound the same to me. The only thing that has peaked my interest is their single that is about to come out. The preview sounded cool. But Kagrra songs are catchier, more well constructed, and more diverse for a band who uses traditional Japanese elements in their music. Also, their fashion changes! I feel like Kiryu are always wearing the same thing...

yea i dont think kiryu an dkagrra are similiar at all.

and well kiryu is my favourite band so of course kiryu. i cant be neutral about stuff with them so i just refrain from writing any explanation.

The only things I know about Kagrra is that whatshisface is dead and they stopped having cool costumes once they left Keyparty.

The Kiryu are one of the bands I got into while starting to like Vkei. A ton of their stuff is same-y, but they do have interesting things spread throughout their discography. I tend to prefer their work up until their second album, but still check out new releases every six months since they'll have like 4 new singles out by that time. Plus, I love things that sound frantic, so that's always an added bonus.

The point in picking these two is that I was curious to see what people would prefer: traditional influences with more calm and structured music like Kagrra, or more theatrical and crazy music like Kiryu. Picking two bands that were almost completely different was the whole point of this band battle.

Anyway, I myself voted for Kagrra,. I don't really like anything Kiryu has done, as it all sounds very similar to me. They have perhaps one song I sort of like, but the vocalist sort of really puts me off. With Kagrra, I feel like there is more depth to their music and I just prefer the traditional influences with calmer music. Plus Isshi's voice truly is one of a kind that really fitted the music well.

I believe this is rather a battle between the two vocalists than the bands themselves. A lot of people are put off by Mahiro's voice and thus dislike Kiryu, whereas Isshi's voice is more... traditional and easy to listen - and for me, predictable and boring.

I have a weakness for weird-sounding vocalists and Mahiro definitely is one of them. If one listens well enough, it can definitely be heard that Mahiro's voice range is incredibly versatile, which makes him in my books a better singer than Isshi, despite him sounding really off.

Also, well, I gotta admit I like Kiryu's style. They are one of the few bands that successfully add horror to their music without sounding like a some fucking retarded halloween band. Kiryu has had the ability to make me feel, if not scared, then at least distressed and anxious with just the structure of a song (I'm talking about Ameyori ni waraeba). That's actually an even rarer skill than to feel just generally "emotionally touched". I appreciate that skill. That's one of my favorite songs by them just because the emotion it stirs is so unique.

As for all Kiryu songs sounding the same - that's a matter of opinion, of course. To me their songs don't sound any more same than all Gazette songs sound to someone who likes them.

Plus I really fucking love Junji, he's a pretty skilled drummer and I think in Kiryu he can really show off his skills.

So my vote goes for.... Kagrra, kidding, Kiryu.

Hmm, interesting battle.

I think I choose Kagrra over Kiryu. There are a bunch of songs by Kiryu that I like, but there are more songs by Kagrra that I like. By the way, I like the old Kagrra, the one before 2005 when their music began to sound boring to me.

Well, of course I voted for Kagrra,; they're my favorite band.

Actually I tried listening to Kiryu after Kagrra, disbanded, because I was looking for other bands with a similar sound and... let's just say I was very disappointed. I don't hate them, some songs are listenable, but their way of incorporating traditional sounds into their chaotic music really doesn't do it for me, and their vocalist's voice isn't that pleasant to listen to either. They're an interesting and original band, but not my style.

Never got used to Kagrra, their sound always weas boring for me. Kiryu is more diverse, fast paced, so they get  my vote.

Never got used to Kagrra, their sound always weas boring for me. Kiryu is more diverse, fast paced, so they get  my vote.

totally agree. chaotic music is <3 and damn, i want to fxxk Hiyori, he is probably my №1 guy in vk  :wan-40:  but i'm not gay

Tough choice but I vote for Kiryu. I know Kagrra much longer but when I started listen Kiryu I loved more their interpretation of traditional music, it's more energetic and enthusiastic.

My vote goes for Kiryu too. I like their chaotic, fast music, and I like that freaky stuff they are doing (even though they are not as original as Kagrra and some of their songs sound similiar). Their vocalist sure is an aquired taste, but i've got used to Mahiro very fast and like his singing.

I know it's late... Too much late...

I've been known Kagrra, for a five years maybe, but I never get the click with their music... The only piece from Kagrra, that get my attention is only 月に斑雲 紫陽花に雨

In other side, when this topic started I do not even know who 己龍 is and then I try 悦ト鬱...

...and BAM! I F**CKING LOVE THEM!

Maybe Kagrra, too calm for me... I prefer the more chaotic 己龍...

The polish and dynamics of Kagraa, songs always placed me in a different world.  I loved listening to them and thought most of their A-Sides were always top quality.  The albums didn't always shine like the singles, but to this day songs like Satsuki and Uzu still are revisited.

Kiryu on the other hand never caught my ear.  I tried several times, but typically just couldn't make it through a PV even.  Just not my ideal sound.

I chose Kagrra because I love them :D

their music sounds very japanese to me (ah, amafurase <3 ) and that without using koto everywhere...it seems that there's no more than koto or flute...

well Kiryu costumes are showy and pretty, but their music isn't just my cup of tea (despite I love bands that use traditional japanese sounds), it's messy and loud (for my ears)

I have to say Kagrra. I like the midi folk parts of Kiryus music, but that guy sounds like a 12-year old singing.