Rize

MEJIBRAY - MESSIAH.bat

Let's make a review out of this MEJIBRAY mini-album release: MESSIAH.bat

MEJIBRAY.png

To be honest, I was really looking forward to this release and from the preview sample it looked kinda good + their looks are awesome...!  

....so I put my hopes up until it was released.

At first listen to this mini-album, I was kinda impressed but after a few listens I recognized some songs from their previous releases/they've used some instrumentals from what they had released before.

I think they've kinda overworked themselfs like all their ideas are gone.

But I'll review each song also...

Messiah.bat

The intro starts with some Tsuzuku grows afterwards they let MiA do the same guitar riff from their previous release ''KILLING ME'', it sounds cool but kinda a no-no for repeating in a new song. 

The chorus is really catchy, totally love it! Also the up-beats are nice, it keeps you in the song.

Overall it's a great song to listen to.

:4.5:

Falling ''Maria''

The intro starts again with some previous release melody, what I can get out of it is: APOCALYPSE & THINKER.

Hmmm... I don't think there's actually anything new to this song, but it's good.

:4.0:

【worms】

I hate to say this, but the intro is like DEVIL ON THE BED by The GazettE & Diaura - Terrors, but with electro elements in it.

I think this is the only song I really dislike on their new mini-album. Great to see they try some electro elements again, but I think their darker music like their 1st mini-album / Sadisgate / Sabato / KILLING me are suiting them much better.

Just saying~

:2.5:

- 枷と知能 -それってとても人間らしいって神様は笑ってるの-

Another electro elemento song, but I approve this one, it's not bad. It reminds me of their other song Mechanical Beauty, from some of those vocal parts. www

Also the lyrics lol, what I can get what Tsuzuku singing, the song is about ''fucking''? lol

... ''You say I'm fucking to, fucking you over''♪ (or something close to that xD)

I think they didn't need to add any electro elements, since it's already good in the parts without them.

But overall, cool song.

:3.5:

- insomnia

Finally some darker song,  the intro starts with a dark sounding piano.... sweet! :lolita_cheerful:

The drums are really sweet here, same kind of drum beats used in Akercock (YEAH www)

I also love the bass in this song that goes great along with the guitar. Just an amazing song!

Actually this kind/type of songs should be used in this whole mini-album in my opinion.

I think this was clearly the best song out this mini-album. All the other songs seems kinda weaker.

:5.0:

Let's hope they'll do better next time with brand new ideas, also like I said before... I really think they are overworked. They've released so much in short time... they need time to get fresh ideas.

Overall, I was pretty pleased with this EP. I think it was definitely an improvement from Die Kusse which wasn't memorable at all. I think Avalon was a little better than almost anything on this EP, but nothing they've done yet in 2013 has captivated me in the way that Sabato and Divergent did last year. 

Specifically, I think that Messiah was pretty decent. It was a good Mejibray track that wasn't too great, but not bad at all. Just... Good. Then there was Worms which I totally fucking hated. It was messy and noisy and the... What screams? growls? Idk what they are, but they sounded like Donald Duck passing a stone. Fallin' Maria was... On the level with Messiah I think. It was good, not great. 

I do think the last two songs: - 枷と知能 -それってとても人間らしいって神様は笑ってるの-  and Insomnia were excellent and really can grow on me to become some of my favorite songs this year. Insomnia specifically was very very very well done. An excellent and outstanding track.

Schwarzer Anfang

Fitting intro, gives you a better understanding of what to expect with the electro stuff

Messiah.bat

Very catchy chorus, love it. The repeating guitar riff may tire me out after a while though, it should have been done only once(it occured 3x) in the middle to make it a bit more memorable.

Falling ''Maria''

Sounds like a regular Mejibray song. Meaning it rocks!! Solo(if you can call it that) is underwhelming though.

【worms】

This doesn't open like Gazette at all, sorry. The rest of the song is very much like Zombie by Versailles except instead of a repeating guitar riff its electro+guitar. Quite groovy. Overall, song is ok.

- 枷と知能 -それってとても人間らしいって神様は笑ってるの-

This thing definitely has auto-tune mixed in the vocals. Very awkward song, electro vocals+light sounding chorus+heavy background. I don't like it, it has its moments of regular Mejibray though.

- insomnia

I gotta thank Mejibray for this song  :indie_sad: so good.

Schwarze Messe

Meh, I would have been fine with insomnia as a closer

Edited by JukaForever

Ah, yes! Finally got time to actually sit and listen to this! Here WE GO!

Messiah - I see this song as a song that a band would put out as their first major single. It's definitely a song constructed to reach a broader audience. I love the singing in this song! It's very upbeat and energetic for Mejibray even more so then Die Kusse, but this is done way better! Staying more close to a Mejibray sound instead of falling close to Gazette-ish tune. The only thing I didn't like is the last chorus. Something about the screaming it instead of singing it doesn't make me to happy. I do respect the creative decision though. 4/5

Fallin Maria' - Solid song, but it's missing a little something. It doesn't seem to memorable to me. It's just a solid standard song, but it's very safe for them. Koichi makes this song for me though. Love his bass lines. Even the solo felt kind of weak to me. Very safe on this one Mejibray. 3/5

Worms - I grew really bored with song to be honest AND WTF IS THAT CHORUS! Very repetitive and very annoying at parts to be honest. Once again, I respect the attempt to try new things, but this is ridiculous. I feel like this was just thrown together and....OMG! sorry...BUT THOSE SCREAM/GROWLS DUH FUCK in THE CHORUS! JUST no-no no no!!!! 1/5

Kaze to Chinou -Sorette Totemo Ningenrashiitte Kamisama wa Waratteru no- The worst, right next to the best IMO. The creativity of this song is just awesome! Like if you're going to do auto tuning, at least do something interesting with it and they do! A perfect blend of creativity AND a solid piece of music! There is NOTHING in this song I would change! I think all that electronics over the vocals keeps the song very engaging. This is a great song to show how you take something that is commonly being used and flip it into something interesting and unique! 5/5...is this song about sex? I thought I heard something bout' f*ckin....

Insomnia- I think this is another safe song, but probably the most solid piece they've written for this album. Love the piano intro. Gives a really good mood to the song. Surprisingly, Mia's guitar takes a major backseat. I notice Meto's drumming (even though he stands out as a presence when seen, I feel his drumming doesn't stand out in most of their songs). The whole band is just in perfect harmony on this song. Perfect, but safe. If they really wanted to become a major band quickly, this would be the song to release. I could definitely hear this as an anime opening. 4.5/5

Overall: 4/5. If they removed Worms from this album, they would have perfection! This was a really solid release from them. Going to be honest, they captured me more with these couple of songs then they did last year with their Emotion [Karma] release (a lot of the songs on the album just sounded too similar to me ie Sabbato - Karma sounded so similar). The growth of this band is truly amazing in such a short amount of time. There are two reason this didn't get a perfect score - 1. because of Worms...it just felt rushed and tossed together with horrible vocals on it. 2. They didn't attempt a ballad. Since Emily was such an amazing song, I was hoping to have them try their hand at another gripping ballad, but they didn't. Overall, this release is fun and energetic! This shows their personality well and separates them from all the other newer bands that debut last year. This may be the release that pulls in all the major label record deals sorry to say that to the people who hate when bands turn major. I wouldn't be surprised if it happened after this. If they never turn major though, they still will definitely garner lots of fans. Probably could be in the same league as Rentrer en Soi since they also never went major, but managed to have incredible success. I enjoyed this album a lot! :D

MEJIBRAY's new release contains some old tricks and new surprises too, so let's see how this goes...

Schwarzer Anfang: I usually don't think much of intros but this one has a cool mood! Really gets the whole thing going with its fast, kinda industrialish vibe.

Messiah: Pretty nice regular ol' MEJI' song - fast and furious that is! Especially lovin' the last 1.5 minutes with the cool guitar groove + solo, and then the surprise chorus with shouted (Engrish) lyrics.

Fallen"MARIA": Along the lines of Inivisible Tower Maker or Black baccarat. Not bad but not too memorable either. That little bass interlude is a nice touch tho.

【worms】: Woohoo this is fun & weird! 8D Good stompin' electro-metal-pop. Would be perfect if not for that ridiculous vocal effect in the chorus, lol (tho it adds to the quirkiness, that's for sure).

枷と知能 -それってとても人間らしいって神様は笑ってるの-: OMG this is perfect~ <3 Very cool use of autotune, I must say! Also this song is almost entirely in English which makes for some amusing lines (e.g. "pardon my hard-on / fuck let's go and get stoned" xD). I love everything about this song basically, it's really colorful (from electro-tinged weirdness to bouncy riot-inducing rock to subtle chorus melodies) yet not disjointed.

insomnia: Another excellent track, this one will surely appeal to those who loved MEJI's older classics - it reminds me a bit of Divergence if I had to put a finger on it. Typical fast and cool (but not heavy) song with Tsuzuku's soaring vocals and MiA's cool guitar solo. I like the random bits they added to spice it up (piano, some interesting effects and noises). Good closing track.

Schwarze Messe: An okay electronic outro that finishes off the mini nicely (more 'epic' than the intro). LOL interesting how they used German lyrics in both the intro and outro, yet managed to avoid the vk cliché "eins zwei drei vier". xD

Overall this was a really interesting and exciting release, so I shall be listening to it a lot more in the future, surely! I kinda missed this feeling when experiencing their last two singles, so hopefully they'll get back on track again, starting with this one. Can't wait what they have in store next!

:4.0: | solid release with interesting sounds, good replay value!

Adding my SE reviews to the list:

Schwarzer Anfang

intresting intro SE. I think they could make some cool halloween song out of this one www

MEJIBRAY is really into electro elements now, I hope they keep their music to their original soundings.

4.0/5

Schwarze Messe

Oh! This SE was also used as the intro for サバト PV! I loved that intro sound, so defenitely like this!!

Good one!

5/5

okay, i promised to linh-san 'not good review' of this mini, so here it is

when i listened it for the first time i was like wtf.. but after couple more listening i've realized that it's pretty decent for nowadays vk releases.

anyway, it's weaker than their other albums. there is no song, that i can put on couple-hours-replay. messiah could be great song if they didn't used solo that sounds like killing me solo. i hate autotune in song with a lot of hieroglyphs and don't like that electronic sound. it's not 'their' sound, seriously. if it was just an experiment - okay, i can accept that. but if they'll continue to do that way, next release will be such *hit like gazette's last album. and that thing i can't accept, because i consider these guys as very promising band with a lot of potential.

total: 3/5

anyway, it's just my opinion and you don't need to care about it =)

Anyone else feel like [worms]'s intro sounds a lot like SuG's L.E.D Ghosty (and there is your first comparison to old songs)

Honestly, people started comparing it to their past mini-album because of the name which made my expectations for this be as high as I had for that mini. Slivers.exe was a bomb mini album, this one is sort of all over the place.

I honestly don't know how I feel about this release mainly because it has both my new favorite Mejibray song and least favorite. I thought Akercock was going to be the black sheep of Mejibray's discography, but [worms] is just as bad. I mean, was there really any variation to that song at all, the chorus was horrible. The only thing interesting was how there was whistling background singing section throughout the verse before the final chorus

Aside from that abysmal song, Mejibray managed to make Insomnia, claiming the throne as my top favorite song by them. The intro is just powerful and I really love the melody throughout this whole song, it really doesn't lose any momentum, even during the small gap before the chorus and guitar solo. The bass is really something amazing as well, I just love it so much

:3.0: