sai

Alice Nine - SHADOWPLAY

I secretly expected this thread to have popped up already (because Augie usually starts Alice Nine review threads), but since it hasn't, I figured I'd open up a review thread for the second instalment of Alice Nine's 3 month-consecutive single releases.

I liked DAYBREAK for what it was, a more mellow side of Alice Nine that successfully showed their progress as musicians. It wasn't their best, but it was a nice single. When I heard Shou would be the one composing the A-side for SHADOWPLAY, I was a bit worried. Shou has only composed one track for the band so far and that one is one of my least favourite Alice Nine A-sides of the past few years. Needless to say, Shou really outdid himself on this one.

SHADOWPLAY is a song that I'd put in line with their GEMINI album. It's a bit difficult to get into at first, but when it hits, it HITS. The piano in the background was a nice add to the general feeling of the song and doesn't mindlessly play in the background as some songs usually tend to have. It's a vital part of the song and I love how they incorporated it. The guitar solo is probably one of the best solos of theirs I heard since GEMINI and the general atmosphere of the song is just very epic and powerful.

Scarlet is a song I hadn't heard before but apparently has been played live before the release. Scarlet matches the atmosphere of the A-side. It's dark, more distorted and overall rather powerful. The bass shines in this song, and listening to it really gives you the idea that they really thought this through. I personally prefer SHADOWPLAY over Scarlet, but Scarlet is still a good song. The guitarwork after the solo is the best part of the song in my opinion, it really shows how well Hiroto and Tora can blend together.

My final rating for the single:

:4.0:

I prefer it over DAYBREAK, and I'm really excited for their third single now!

I was kinda 'meh' on DAYBREAK, so I got really excited when hearing the first previews of this single. And, as it turned out, it didn't disappoint. I'd like to second sai's thought about SHADOWPLAY (the song); it's definitely "up there" with their GEMINI material for me too. Such beauty and elegance, with just the right amount of power. Of course after a track like this it's hard to follow up, so Scarlet doesn't feel as strong but it's still quite an okay song. It vaguely seems to channel a sort of modern LUNA SEA-ish vibe, which is always nice/interesting. Also I'd like to mention here how both songs have totally sweet guitar-solo sections!

:4.0: | totally cool single, can't wait for the next one!

Haha, sorry, I never got around to making the review section. Most of the time people don't post their review for Alice Nine.

SHADOWPLAY is definitely up there with GEMINI stuff, the atmosphere presented in this song is absolutely dark, yet beautiful. Saga's piano melody is so essential to the song and I love it. The guitar solo has to be one of the best ones they've made not only because it's a duet solo from Tora and Hiroto but because of how it just explodes after the final line of the chorus "mimi ni nokotta." Like Sai stated, I was super sketchy when I heard Shou was composing this song since his only other composition was my least favorite A-side (still a great single though)

Scarlet started off kind of with some weird intro that threw me off but once that bass came in, I felt the same way I felt when Himitsu's acoustic guitars started in DAYBREAK single. This one sounded more like a dark power ballad than anything to me, especially because of the way the chorus sort of felt slow. After the amazing guitar duet solo, the song hits its best part, Shou's melody changes, the guitars and drums take a different path, and we end with a lovely clean melody from Tora and Hiroto which showcases these two majestic beings' ability to create something beautiful.

The instrumental was just like a Christmas present that you've been asking for but never got until now. :D

My rating for this single: :5.0: