Cristate

[New Band] Jupiter : Versailles members reforming with new Vocalist

Yeah, Jupiter sounds quite much like Versailles. Not 100%, but almost close.

However, my main problem with Jupiter is the monotonous sound metal music tends to be bound to. I mean I am tired of the same old riffs I hear everytime in Versailles and other metal bands. There is nothing new about Jupiter apart from the new vocalist. Hizaki should blend more musical styles, take something from the 90's Visual Kei sound, etc etc etc.

Sorry about my poor English. I cannot express myself properly...

I agree with you and i love old school visual kei too ^^

Well, I guess I should stop participating in this discussion here, I'm out.

I think I made my point clearly enough so it is not necessary to say anything more now.

I'd like to ask AltermaliceNero to use the MultiQuote option in the future. It'll let you reply to multiple quotes in one post, that avoids double/triple posts.

Also: I guess it's inevitable that people are comparing the two bands. What did you expect with 4/5 members coming from Versailles and them playing pretty much the same style that Versailles played too?

I agree with you sai, I know that it's normal people compare them. What I don't get is why people judge them 100% compared to Versailles ? Can't they be just something new ? Can't we compare them to VK nowadays or anything else ? I mean, Jupiter is not trying to be better than Versailles, and Zin is not trying to be better than Kamijo. We should just analyze their moves and releases as a new band, not a new Versailles.
But I know it's inevitable, and that thought will remain for a lot of time, I just want them to be considered as a band, not as the after-Versailles band.

I'd like to ask AltermaliceNero to use the MultiQuote option in the future. It'll let you reply to multiple quotes in one post, that avoids double/triple posts.

Also: I guess it's inevitable that people are comparing the two bands. What did you expect with 4/5 members coming from Versailles and them playing pretty much the same style that Versailles played too?

Sorry i wasn't aware of it thanks.

I agree with you sai, I know that it's normal people compare them. What I don't get is why people judge them 100% compared to Versailles ? Can't they be just something new ? Can't we compare them to VK nowadays or anything else ? I mean, Jupiter is not trying to be better than Versailles, and Zin is not trying to be better than Kamijo. We should just analyze their moves and releases as a new band, not a new Versailles.

But I know it's inevitable, and that thought will remain for a lot of time, I just want them to be considered as a band, not as the after-Versailles band.

I give you my leave to try as hard as you can, but at the end of the day you can't discuss music to much extent without comparison. People before you have tried and failed. If this were a new HIZAKI project I could say that you have a good point. I could even concede if it was a HIZAKI x TERU collaboration. But comparisons between a past band and a previous band are inevitable when 4/5 of one band forms a new band. If anything, Versailles is the best band to "compare" to because of compositional and stylistic similarities that will arise because of who is in the band.

Even if they went in a completely different direction and played honky-tonk country metal, they will always be compared to Versailles. Always. May as well just deal with it now.

To sum it up: Versailles - Kamijo + random vkei vocalist = Matenrou Opera

Can't hear the resemblance. At all. :I

I give you my leave to try as hard as you can, but at the end of the day you can't discuss music to much extent without comparison. People before you have tried and failed. If this were a new HIZAKI project I could say that you have a good point. I could even concede if it was a HIZAKI x TERU collaboration. But comparisons between a past band and a previous band are inevitable when 4/5 of one band forms a new band. If anything, Versailles is the best band to "compare" to because of compositional and stylistic similarities that will arise because of who is in the band.

Even if they went in a completely different direction and played honky-tonk country metal, they will always be compared to Versailles. Always. May as well just deal with it now.

I totally understand your point Zess.

I'll just ignore these remarks, and take the rest into account.

I think you need to meet some power/melodic metal bands, Versailles never were different from any of them, except for the bad vocals and the romanticism thing. 

You can try and provide me an example of a similar band based on themes and influences of aristocats, vampire, rose, undead, ann rice novels(mainly the characters and its own themes), light and darkness, french romance, prince and princesses, palaces, baroque,17th century society and in some instances christianity.

They are Versailles period.

Quite the contrary, I don't like plenty of power/melodic bands for their terrible vocals and concepts for their songs. I follow very few for these reason. I can only describe Versailles as Symphonic-heavy metal, I don't think they are fast enough to be power metal. I am not up to debate what sub-genre is what but simply stating Versailles is power metal is a gross understatement in what they bring to their music.

Vocals depends on an individuals taste in music. You trying to state Kamijo has bad vocals to me doesn't mean shit.

note: I don't consider growlers/screamo/cookie-monster vocals in the same category as Kamijo's style. They are very different and can only fit the metal they were intended for.

I agree with you and i love old school visual kei too ^^

Hizaki has so many sources to blend musical styles and offer something new to us, but he has decided to keep doing the same old riffs we have been listening to for years...

As an old Visual Kei artist himself, Hizaki should be ahead of most recent bands amazing us with new sounds, etc. Not the case this time u.u

Quite the contrary, I don't like plenty of power/melodic bands for their terrible vocals and concepts for their songs. I follow very few for these reason. I can only describe Versailles as Symphonic-heavy metal, I don't think they are fast enough to be power metal. I am not up to debate what sub-genre is what but simply stating Versailles is power metal is a gross understatement in what they bring to their music.

I was under the impression that they were widely regarded as symphonic power metal, leaning towards power metal later in their career as the symphonic parts were decreased as their career goes on.

But that's what genres do. They give you a general idea of what to expect. Any band that sticks to their guns on the genre that they belong to aren't very interesting.

Hizaki has so many sources to blend musical styles and offer something new to us, but he has decided to keep doing the same old riffs we have been listening to for years...

As an old Visual Kei artist himself, Hizaki should be ahead of most recent bands amazing us with new sounds, etc. Not the case this time u.u

He's experimented within the realm of Versailles some and that still didn't stop the torrent of criticism about how all of his music sounds the same. GLOWING BUTTERFLY, Dry Ice Scream and Judicial Noir are all pretty different sounding, yet they all sound very similar. It's Hizaki's style, not his influences, that makes everything sound the way it does.

Aside from his days in Crack Brain, HIZAKI has pretty much grounded himself as a metal musician with this style he works with. His solo projects and the bands he has joined usually always had some variant of frilly metal riffs, solos and song structures. So I don't know why people expect anything else other than frilly HIZAKI metal from him? That's what he does and has always done for the majority of his musical career. Expecting him to do a kote kei song is silly when he's never really played that style of music.

Now Teru I think really branches out and does neat things, all the songs he composed in Versailles were some of the coolest they had and stood out from the rest. I'd listen through an album and without looking at who composed what, it was easy to tell which one was a Teru song. I hope Teru composes more music in Jupiter because his songs always were a breath of fresh air after two or three HIZAKI/Kamijo songs.

I was under the impression that they were widely regarded as symphonic power metal, leaning towards power metal later in their career as the symphonic parts were decreased as their career goes on.

But that's what genres do. They give you a general idea of what to expect. Any band that sticks to their guns on the genre that they belong to aren't very interesting.

Well...hmm..Up to Noble they had a more heavy sound than power overall imo. But i think different people will interpret sounds differently. With the heavy metal I listen, I think Versailles fits that more. The symphonic part never really left imo but I do think it was lacking in their self title album especially with their lead single but it had like a super clean sound. I guess that was off-putting

Aside from his days in Crack Brain, HIZAKI has pretty much grounded himself as a metal musician with this style he works with. His solo projects and the bands he has joined usually always had some variant of frilly metal riffs, solos and song structures. So I don't know why people expect anything else other than frilly HIZAKI metal from him? That's what he does and has always done for the majority of his musical career. Expecting him to do a kote kei song is silly when he's never really played that style of music.

Now Teru I think really branches out and does neat things, all the songs he composed in Versailles were some of the coolest they had and stood out from the rest. I'd listen through an album and without looking at who composed what, it was easy to tell which one was a Teru song. I hope Teru composes more music in Jupiter because his songs always were a breath of fresh air after two or three HIZAKI/Kamijo songs.

Hizaki doesn't have to leave metal music totally behind, but it would be a good thing to add something new to make the difference. I mean and, as I have said before, this is my very personal opinion, metal music tends to sound monotonous in the end because of the same old riffs (like hearing the clock every single day tick-tock. No change >.<). Nowadays many musicians blend musical styles to find new sounds/styles.

I also agree with a comment on youtube saying Jupiter doesn't sound that inspired anyway...

inb4 infallible opinion of the administration. Feel free to disagree but...

Hizaki doesn't have to leave metal music totally behind, but it would be a good thing to add something new to make the difference. I mean and, as I have said before, this is my very personal opinion, metal music tends to sound monotonous in the end because of the same old riffs (like hearing the clock every single day tick-tock. No change >.<). Nowadays many musicians blend musical styles to find new sounds/styles.

Diversity always has and always will be a double-edged sword. It's easy to say that a band should "diversify" but if they do so badly then they get even more negative criticism than they would have if they had just stuck to their guns (I'm looking at you -OZ-). By all means, if a band can be diverse they should try to be. But if the band has a main composer that simply cannot compose outside of a set framework, they should not try. It never turns out well - usually the result is more of the same featuring a bolted-on section or two that doesn't fit.

Considering HIZAKI's rather lengthy career, I'm inclined to say that he's tried to be diverse to a good extent but it's just not within him to do such a thing to the degree you want. I would say that he doesn't even need to - if Versailles/Jupiter ever needed a track with a certain type of flair they have MASASHI, KAMIJO (to an extent) and TERU to fall back on. I would leave the experimenting to them because they're better at it.

I think what you want is for compositional duties to be split equally among all the members. This could still be the case. We only have a good idea that Hizaki was behind the composition of this track. Masashi and Teru may have composed one or two of the B-sides.

What is tanuki?

The visual kei sewer.
Its a japanese forum on the 2ch, where they talk about the visual kei bands, usually not about their music but about the members dirty secrets, things like "how to date him", "his penis size", sometimes pictures, their phone numbers, e-mails, etc. 
I've just read the Jupiter topic quickly and seems like there's some people comparing them to mejibray lol

What is tanuki?

Tanuki is a message board Japanese fans use. It’s full of gossip, rumours and various stories about bandmen and their shenanigans. The thing about Tanuki is you should only believe about 10% of what you read since a lot of it is just BS. Though occasionally cellphone photos, screen shots and other things will pop up proving some of the stories you read. 

It can be hilarious but I find it gets dull after awhile, especially when it’s just angry jealous little girls raging because they found photos of a bandmen with his girlfriend. Or the boring old stories and screenshots of a bandmen trying to get money out of someone. 

Oh, sounds crazy, thanks for the explanation.

Can't really compare the 2 just yet, as it doesn't seem like Zin is a screamer. That in itself doesn't really warrant a comparison. Imo