CAT5

THE HIP HOP THREAD!

On 6/13/2018 at 7:11 PM, Bear said:

People's thoughts on the new Rae Sremmurd, Sr3mm, Swae Lee's Swaecation and Slim Jxmmi's Jxmtro? I've only spun it once and I'm so far very impressed. Both Sr3mm and  Swaecation's got a few really good bangers (Guatemala and Powerglide are both gorgeous!). Jxmtro is solid overall, but it lacks Swea Lee's swag and sense for melody for sure. Slim Jxmmi's stil the weakest link, and it os painfully obvious on his side of things. It's not bad, and he's improved a lot. But he's still got a long way to go until he can be compared to his brother.

No opinion on this? Sr3mm and Swaecation are filled with monsterous hits made for this beautiful weather. Get out in the sun and sip some gin and tonic, drink some beer and play the poppier songs on repeat. Close, Bedtime Stories, Powerglide, Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, Heat of the Moment and Guatemala are the songs are the soundtrack to my summer so far.

Can anybody recommend me some unique rap music?

Like some metal rap songs or rap with acoustic instruments or any kind of rap music that is different from mainstream rap or just recommend me whatever you think is unique.
Thank you.

5 hours ago, FOSCOR70 said:

Can anybody recommend me some unique rap music?

Like some metal rap songs or rap with acoustic instruments or any kind of rap music that is different from mainstream rap or just recommend me whatever you think is unique.
Thank you.

I really like P.O.S personally. He's got some punk / alternative influences in his music.

If you don't mind Japanese rap, Itto uses a lot of unique beats.

CunninLynguists is the most "traditional" out of these but their beatmaker/producer is one of the best in the game.

Sage Francis' album Li(f)e has some rock influences. Not his best album but pretty good.

Not really sure about what you're looking for, and I don't really listen to rap metal so I can't help you there. But I do listen to a lot of rap that is dark or brutal, and are quite popular among metal fans.

Scarlxrd is pretty fucking metallic and way, way, way more brutal and metallic sounding than any "rap metal" act out there. Brutal beats, screaming and all kind of shit going on. But it's not your regular wimpy rap metal shit. You won't find those wimpy, half-groovy riffs or anything.

Death Grips is also very metallic sounding, albeit not metal. Experimental and brutal rap, but without the wimpy side.

Bones and Suicideboys just because they're dark as fuck.

Run DMC are a must for fans of rap and rock. The perfect combination.

A mixtape put together by Joel Grind of Toxic Holocaust fame. Dark and twisted Mephis rap.

Stuff like Necro, Circle of Tyrants, Heavy Metal Kings, Jedi Mind Tricks and related bands might also be of interest. Again, not rap metal or anything tho.

And this might be of interest. Not exactly metal, but got a lot in common with some of the rap metal bands of the past.

My favorite album this year (though the 🍈 didn't approve *angery face*.) I've started listening to Denzel's TA13OO, and it's pretty gooood.

---

As for "unique", my gateway to a lot of hip-hop has been jazz. Listening to more melodic tracks kinda ate away at the distance I had with traditional rap, and helped me embrace more "mainstream" artists.

Spoiler

Edited by colorfuljinsei

I always go to Pstereo, a Norwegian music festival in august and this year I was really looking forward to Lil Pump. Easily one of the artists I was looking the most forward to. He was awarded 45 minutes, just like everyone else that's not on the smallest scene or a headliner.

First 10 minutes was just the DJ.

Then the next 15 minutes was the hypeman raping and dancing.

Then Lil Pump came on and he walked slowly back and forward, mumbling over a vocal track with no energy or power. He did this four two half tracks or something. 3-5 minutes maybe.

Then he went behind the mix table and stood there for the remainder of the set. Mumbled a few lines now and then.

Then spent the last 5 minutes opening a birthday present and singing a birthday song, because it's hit birthday tomorrow.

That was it. Holy shit, I will not support this lil dick with a single penny for the rest of my life, unless he was and can prove that he was really fucking sick. Like close to death-sick. Pathetic and embarrassing.

On 8/16/2018 at 1:32 AM, Bear said:

Not really sure about what you're looking for, and I don't really listen to rap metal so I can't help you there. But I do listen to a lot of rap that is dark or brutal, and are quite popular among metal fans.

Scarlxrd is pretty fucking metallic and way, way, way more brutal and metallic sounding than any "rap metal" act out there. Brutal beats, screaming and all kind of shit going on. But it's not your regular wimpy rap metal shit. You won't find those wimpy, half-groovy riffs or anything.

Death Grips is also very metallic sounding, albeit not metal. Experimental and brutal rap, but without the wimpy side.

Bones and Suicideboys just because they're dark as fuck.

Run DMC are a must for fans of rap and rock. The perfect combination.

A mixtape put together by Joel Grind of Toxic Holocaust fame. Dark and twisted Mephis rap.

Stuff like Necro, Circle of Tyrants, Heavy Metal Kings, Jedi Mind Tricks and related bands might also be of interest. Again, not rap metal or anything tho.

And this might be of interest. Not exactly metal, but got a lot in common with some of the rap metal bands of the past.

Scarlxrd is seriously fking sick lol thanks a lot for recommending it to me  -_ ^

other recommendations were also cool but scarlxrd...woh!

I'm not the biggest Machine Gun Kelly fan, but Rap Devil was seriously good. Finally someone both man and dumb enough to diss Eminem, a man who's been a massive joke of a rapper for well over a decade now.

Well done, MGK.

Hope Eminem responds soon. Could turn into some fun drama this.

8 hours ago, Bear said:

I'm not the biggest Machine Gun Kelly fan, but Rap Devil was seriously good. Finally someone both man and dumb enough to diss Eminem, a man who's been a massive joke of a rapper for well over a decade now.

Well done, MGK.

Hope Eminem responds soon. Could turn into some fun drama this.

I enjoyed the song too! Took some balls to come at the dude who had a movie made about his battle-rapping skills haha. I don't think I've actively listened to MGK before this song, but I like his flow on this one.

(Though I agree Eminem's last decade+ of music has been boring....)

Seeing a lot of people including MMLP2 into the series of bad albums from Em -maybe it's a shortcut used to refer to everything else except that one- but I've gotta say, it's one of my favorite albums from him. I would get rid of a very few tracks to make it more efficient, but overall I really enjoyed it.

But anyway, what did you guys think of "Killshot"? To me it felt like instead of dissing MGK he just went for the "we're not playing in the same league, just letting you know" approach. And that's legit if you ask me, coming from Em. Now wondering if MGK is preparing a response to this, lol.

Edited by Visutox

Wondering if anyone here has checked out that Forever M.C. project? It's awesome.

It features artists such as Snoop Dogg, Tech N9ne, DMX, Royce Da 5'9", Wu-Tang Clan and many more.

Edited by Visutox

Last years best hip hop track. Should come as no surprise with a title like that, and hearing all the amazing references throughout the song is awesome. Lots of great movies being referenced. Anyone who reference the movie Bastard Sworsman gets a massive plus from me. One of the best movies ever, and this is one of the best RZA tracks ever.

Fun fact: a couple of months ago I put together a track I called Sonny Chiba. I felt like Sonny Chiba when cooking it together asas I had just rewatched The Street Fighter and feltstuff inspired. A month ago me and my friend added the vocals and shit to it. Not released yet as it misses a proper mix and master, but everything else including coverart is done. (RZA got the better track, we got the better cover art). This also happens to be a hip hop track, but it is more a straight up tribute to the man and legend himself.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaan, Tobe just dropped a new song and this dude IS KILLIN EM!!! How has pitchfork not even mentioned this guy ONCE!!!??