CAT5

THE HIP HOP THREAD!

makes Kpop and VK 2-2

I've never been one to listen to Domo Genesis much, but his new album (or, well, his first 'legit' album) is pretty awesome. Very nice production and sound, with some cool grooves mixes in.

I mean...

...damn. <3

Nice, that sounds very cool Jiggy. I need to check his shit out.

Been listening to a lot of hip ho lately. Mainly old Wu-Tang Clan, Gravediggaz, Gza's Liquid Swords, and the first few albums by acts such as Eric B. & Rakim, Digital Underground, A Tribe Called Quest, Public Enemy, The Pharcyde, De La Soul, Boogie Down Productions, AZ and The D.O.C. Been having a lot of these albums on repeat for a long period of time now. Golden stuff!

I think I'm one of few, but I prefer Follow the Leader to Paid in Full. I think both the production and especially Rakim's rapping is improved on Follow the Leader. Rakim's found his own style and a proper flow on Follow the Leader, a thing I think lacked on their debut, Paid in Full. I still love the shit out of Paid In Full, though. That has to be said.

no more funny

The new Mykki Blanco (feat. Woodkid) vid is out and oh wow. Left me speechless.

You can listen to just the song here: https://mykkiblanco.bandcamp.com/album/highschool-never-ends

edit: Also, Die Antwoord are releasing a new mixtape tomorrow apparently! You can listen to 2 brand-new songs and a remix here: http://dancingastronaut.com/2016/05/die-antwoord-share-thrashing-new-trap-remix-pitbull-terrier/

Edited by Jigsaw9

This song is just too fucking good. Catchy as fuck, and Tinie's flow is exceptional for being such a modern poppy rapper.

fuck me, i love a strong female

Going to a Bishop Nehru concert tonight. I'm not familiar with the guy with the exception of a few songs I've heard today. Sounds great and yesterday's Oslo gig get great words. Should be fun.

yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss, Nicki & Fox forever, the only bitches to do it. But what song is that, not as familiar with her?

New Run The Jewels album is coming on January (and it's free!)

And new J. Cole album, 4 Your Eyez Only, coming December 9th, AAAAhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Edited by indigo

^ Stoked for the new J. Cole.  

I'm such a dullard that I haven't kept tabs on all the albums and mixtapes of 2016. I remember it being clear cut what the sound 2015 was, so it's odd that I have no idea what was my fave and what I heard the most of this year. I guess my favorite project was JEFFERY

One thing I'll predict here is that the 21 Savage bubble is going to burst by late spring 2017 and he'll join Future in the trap dustbin of history. Sneakin' is fucking great but everyone is going to get fed up in six months just watch.

Thug's continuing relevancy is proof that he's goat 

New Run the Jewels is gonna be good. One of the very best post-1990's hip hop groups, along with the solo projects of both memebers. This is gonna be a new 6/6, I can feel it.

Still one of the very best hip hop songs ever made, and the lyrics are fantastic. Spot fuckin' on! You could change "gangsta rap" with "death metal", "black metal", "war video games", "horror films" or whatever the fuck you want, and it would still be spot on.

What the fuck? How on earth is this shit so damn good? And how the hell did Jaden Smith get so good? His flow, his feeling? He's fucking nailing it. This was unexpected! I'm especially impressed by "Like This". The kid is stealing the show on that one. Weird.

Anyone seen Hip-Hop Evolution on Netflix? Directed by Darby Wheeler with help from Sam Dunn and Scot McFadyen, both best known for documentaries such as Metal: A Headbanger's Journey, Global Metal, Metal Evolution and  and Iron Maiden: Flight 666, and presented by rapper Shadrach Kabango who presents himself as an MC, but a fan first. It's four 45 minutes episodes, and it's limited how much you manage to squeeze into such short episodes. So there's a lot missing, but it's a very good documentary nonetheless.

In the first episode, Shad meets hip-hop’s “Holy Trinity,” three Bronx-based DJs – Kool Herc, Afrika Bambaataa, and Grandmaster Flash

Subsequent episodes trace the explosion of groups following the genre’s first commercial hit, “Rapper’s Delight”, the Golden Age of hip-hop in the 80s, and the creation of the first hip-hop empire, Def Jam Records.

The fourth and final episode explores the birth of the West Coast hip-hop scene and Gangsta Rap – a raw, biographical form of rap that continues to dominate the genre today.

Interviews throughout the series include Grandmaster Caz, Russell Simmons, LL Cool J, Darryl “DMC” McDaniels, Chuck D, Ice Cube and Ice T.

Recommended!

I dunno much about what objectively good hip-hop is, but Run The Jewels have just surprise-dropped their new album RTJ3 for free, so yayyyyy

(on track 3 right now, so far they're as good as ever)

Edited by Jigsaw9

It also happens to be one of their best songs, with both delivering some of the best verses they've ever done. EL-P's verse is the best one and absolutely magnificent. It's just out of this world.

I've had the chance to listen to RTJ3 a couple times now...

And now that they've got three good albums under their belts, do we start talking about RTJ being one of the best hip hop duos of all time??

Off the top of my head I've got:

Eric B & Rakim

Mobb Deep

Clipse

Outkast

ahead of them. Is that it? Are RTJ top-five already?