CAT5

THE HIP HOP THREAD!

Haven't had a decent weekend to myself with exams but this line-up is sick 2-3 of these are sure to be in a top ten in any true hip-hop head album of the year

Oddisee - The Good Fight

J-Live - His Own Self

Blueprint - King No Crown

eMC - The Tonight Show

Aceyalone & Bionik - Action

This song is so fucking ridiculous. In a good way. In form of quality. Brilliant track. This album is gonna be good.

Tech N9ne ㅡ Special Effects 7/10

First half score: 9/10
Second half score: 5/10

Tech-N9ne-Special-Effects-Deluxe-Edition

Good album, could have been better but the problem lies in the second half of the album. That is to say if the album had only the 12 first tracks on it, then it would be a fucking dope one IMO. The second half is not bad but really weak compared to the first one, there are some tracks I really enjoyed though. Anyway this album is worth checking out just because of the 11 or 12 first tracks (8 if we forget the interludes) and especially if you dig Tecca Nina's music. Gonna say it again, just in case: good album.

Also gonna drop here my favorite song from the new album, dope shit. 

I currently listen to that nice lady named Yasmo... She's from my country (Austria) so most of her tracks are in German, some are a mixed with English and only a few ones are English. Very intelligent and critical lyrics (she also does poetry slam stuffs). Music-wise it's a bit on the funky side with her current Live-lineup and makes a lot of fun in my opinion.

-> that's an old one but the lyrics totally rock my world as I kind of work in the world of film... so, yeah... F*** the acedemy! :D

haven´t had much time to dig lately but Fashawn is definitely one of my biggest faves. followed by Metsakutsu, Yelawolf and Tommy Cash. had a small research in mind for a while now, so it´s awesome i stumbled upon this thread :P

My expectations to Every Hero Needs a Villain were sky high, but after a few spins I'm very, very satisfied. They don't offer anything new, but it still sounds very fresh in 2015. The sound is classic, but not generic. Hard and heavy.

Also, the begining transition of When Gods Go Mad into Ka-Bang! is amazing. As soon as the bass kicks in on Ka-Bang! I immediately want to go out and kick someone in the face. The entire bass line is great, though.

An album that is at least as good as its "prequel", maybe even better. Gotta spend some more time together with it, but so far, so fucking good.

Am I the only one cool enough to dig Czarface or what? Damn, the new album is so god damn good! It's everything I wanted and more. Superb album!

Senpai

So Straight Outta Compton is getting fantastic reviews, but the soundtrack which sees Dr. Dre's "comeback" after 15 years and shit looks awful. Eminem, Kendrick Lamar, The Game and other average-to-poor rappers? Jesus, why? Is that the best he could come up with after 15 years? Jesus. Jesus. Jesus. Jesus. Jesus. Jesus. Jesus. Jesus. Jesus fucking christ.

So Straight Outta Compton is getting fantastic reviews, but the soundtrack which sees Dr. Dre's "comeback" after 15 years and shit looks awful. Eminem, Kendrick Lamar, The Game and other average-to-poor rappers? Jesus, why? Is that the best he could come up with after 15 years? Jesus. Jesus. Jesus. Jesus. Jesus. Jesus. Jesus. Jesus. Jesus fucking christ.

Knowing you and your takes, I'd really love to hear what you thought of Kendrick's TPAB album though (rather surprising that this thread had little to no actual opinions on all the kalamazoo it caused) :P

Also, that featured circle @his comeback release (or OST, more specifically) was totally expected ("his clique") - it's not like he'd be ready to dig some "tr00 underground cred" chaps he never knew in the first place in order to please old school traditionalists (or those who are still crossing fingers for "Detox")

ps. Oddisee sounds great, Juka (y)

I haven't heard the album. I've only heard songs from his two first albums. I was less than impressed with the songs mainly due to Lamar's rapping that just didn't give me anything at all. Thought he lacked a proper attitude and his flow didn't impress me.

I don't follow Dr. Dre anymore so I don't know his clique or anything, and I didn't expect it to be filled with old school rappers. But it shouldn't have been hard to find someone a bit more relevant than Eminem, The Game, Kendrick Lamar and some of the others. Or someone who just has a bit more of that old school (and thus mroe fitting) sound to them. But that's just my opinion on it.

Finally listened to that new Vince Staples (double) album everyone's been raving about. Cool stuff indeed!

Also, spinning the debut full-length of Shahmen (released a few months ago), what an awesome dark atmosphere. Never heard of these guys before, so it's a really cool random surprise. I diggg~

Finally listened to that new Vince Staples (double) album everyone's been raving about. Cool stuff indeed!

Also, spinning the debut full-length of Shahmen (released a few months ago), what an awesome dark atmosphere. Never heard of these guys before, so it's a really cool random surprise. I diggg~

*shahmen yt-vid*

that shahmen album is awesome! thanks for that, this'll do some rounds on my ipod for sure!

I can't understand why Czarface isn't getting more attention by people. Both albums are top notch!

well, i can tell you, why it doesn't really work for me personally.

one of the points is a fundamental lack of structure or progression in some of the songs themselves. i know particularly with hip-hop that's kind of the whole idea of not really catering to any kind of structure in favor of 'just' a beat, however with tons of the czarface tracks i commonly find myself thinking "holy hell, this is amazing" at the beginning of the track, but already having a strong urge to skip after 30-60 seconds, because it seems to be just the same one bar in infinite repeat with very little variation. i can't quite put my finger on it, but this seems less of an issue with other hiphop albums i listen to (I can't claim to have any kind of hiphop-cred tho).

the second point is plainly, that a lot of the loops and beats sound as if lifted from a 144p youtube rip and are just painful to listen to, which.. doesn't help :P

nonetheless there were quite a few tracks that i very much enjoyed, but not as in whole albums unfortunately.

Point 1: Czarface is a group for seasoned hip-hop listeners and the underground scene. Regular-casual listeners to hip-hop will not fully appreciate what is being made and presented to them.

Point 2: that's what happens when you sample old AF vinyls, up the volume, leaving little room for dynamic compression and then mix it all together with modern samples.

Also beats are not really the main point, especially when you have Inspectah Deck in the group.