CAT5

THE HIP HOP THREAD!

If you're familiar with the group you know what to expect. If you're not (then fucking shame on you!!!), we're talking old school and familiar, yet fresh and new-sounding boom bap that'll make you think of the glory days of hip hop. This album is fucking FIRE! But we're used to that by now. These madmen just doesn't know how to make anything bad. Pure gold!

Idontknowjeffery is my new obsession. More often than not pretty lo-fi and chill beats with pretty slow but groovy rapping on top. Can't get enough of this guy.

As far as rap music goes I've been really digging these guys since they burst on the scene, lyrics are mainly in German though, just incase that may put someone off for some reason. But being in a forum for mainly fans of Japanese music, I assume listening to music in different languages isn't a problem. haha. Anyway, yeah, Zombiez, German horror trap. Give it a listen and hope you like it. :)

This track, the video its from and the whole album is just FIRE! The uh-huh's in verse 2 and 3 are so fucking cool, and Young Thug's lines in verse 3 are awesome. That voice is so cool.

Tyler just dropped his new album. I LOVE IT. ♥

To me it sounds a bit like the beauty of Flower Boy filtered through the experimentation of Cherry Bomb.

I haven't listened to Tyler before IGOR, but the instrumentals (and rap) is completely up my alley. Lately I've been bouncing between J.I.D and Denzel... 

...and holy shit, is RICKY a great track. I'm really excited for "ZUU".

The MV for 151 Rum came out 2 weeks ago. It's not a new track, but I still listen to the hell out of DiCaprio 2. 

Old fellas delivering good fucking grime. This song is so neat.

This shit cracks me up. This shit is absolutely legendary. Adamn Killa from muthafuckin' prez!

I'm very selective when it comes to rap/hip-hop due to tiring vulgar lyrical content but, I recently discovered NF and he's quite the surprise. His songs are mainly about real life issues that really hits the heart of things, and the way he raps is filled with passion and high energy that reminds me of some of the older Eminem songs. Also, I love how his music videos are filmed. If you're planning on giving NF a shot, just be prepared for the feels...

https://tinyurl.com/y7r2mqor

https://tinyurl.com/yawe4y28

Edited by Flame-X
Added tinyurl links for the youtube since it won't play embedded videos.

On 6/23/2019 at 3:53 PM, Flame-X said:

His songs are mainly about real life issues that really hits the heart of things, and the way he raps is filled with passion and high energy that reminds me of some of the older Eminem songs.

I literally just came here to post about NF as well ❤️ 

His album just dropped today and it clocks in at an Hour and 16 min. Definetly GIve my man NF a try. 

2:33

"See, we've all got somethin' that we trapped inside

That we try to suffocate, you know, hopin' it dies

Try to hold it underwater but it always survives

Then it comes up out of nowhere like an evil surprise

Then it hovers over you to tell you millions of lies

You don't relate to that? Must not be as crazy as I am"

2:54

"When I grow up, I just want to pay my bills
Rappin' about the way I feel, oh yeah
I just want to make a couple mil'
Leave it to the fam in the will, oh yeah
I just want to sign a record deal
Maybe buy a house up in the hills, oh yeah
Might not be the best in my field
But I guarantee that I'ma die real
When I grow up"

Edited by -NOVA-

6 hours ago, The Reverend said:

I don't even recognize Danny Brown without that big gap in his teeth.

Haha, same. :D Took me a minute.

Also, I just noticed but there's a new Clipping album coming out on October 18 titled "There Existed an Addiction to Blood".

I love this spooky '80s horror aesthetic, very effective lyrics and delivery too (as usual).

Edited by Jigsaw9

"Look at the world we live in, defined by comment sections
Surround yourself with people that challenge how you think
Not people that nod their head and act like they agree
Those people will cut you open just to watch you bleed
Always be yourself, not the person that you pretend to be, no!"

This guy spits truth bombs like in every verse. This is real stuff.

I've really been diggin' EARTHGANG lately. Their new album "MIRRORLAND" is surprisingly dope. It's been a while since I had some hip hop on repeat....I'm loving the scope and the creativity of their sound...lots of dope production and catchy songwriting that both young and older hip-hop heads can appreciate. These guys aren't super technical or lyrical rappers, but there's a lot of heart and sincerity in their lyrics, and there's a number of lines that stuck with me despite their relative simplicity. Plus their subject matter is generally relatable.

What I love most about these guys tho is just their overall style. They're from my hometown of Atlanta, and while it's kinda hard to describe if you've never really been to ATL, their sound just captures a lot of that eclectic ATL energy. But even speaking more broadly, they just bring a kind of soulfulness that I feel has been missing from a lot of hip hop these days. Stylistically, some of their songs remind me of how I felt listening to Outkast, Goodie Mob (and even early cee-lo green before he went pop).

These two particular tracks is my shit!!!

-----

Sampa The Great's album was also dope, but I've only listened once and need to listen some more...

Any of ya'll like Kenny Beats? His production is:

cd3a4c755a525963494109980d21c4765d4c07acv2_hq.jpg

He did some collaborations with Denzel Curry and Rico Nasty and both albums are pretty fresh.

Samples

Denzel Curry - DIET_

Rico Nasty - Big Titties (feat. Baauer, EarthGang) *@CAT5 speaking of Earthgang!

Edited by ghost

Yeah, I love Kenny Beats. His overall production style is just fire and incredibly versatile, but without loosing his Kenny touch. Best thing he did is the Netflix and Deal album with 03 Greedo, followed by Anger Management with Rico Nasty. Took me a while to get into the album, but when I first did I just couldn't get enough of it.

This one off Freddie Gibbs' Freddie is fire. Both rappers spits fire over a beat that's just beyond everything. When you sample something as legendary as Boyz-n-the Hood you better do it justice, and they sure as hell did.

Also check out Kenny Beats' The Cave. Both seasons are FIRE and among the better youtube shows out there. A new guest every week with people like Denzel Curry, Rico Nasty, Danny Brown, Slowthai, 6lack, Sada Baby, Joji, The Alchemist & Boldy James, Jpegmagia, Freddie Gibbs, Earthgang etc. It's awesome!

For J hiphop check out Darth Reider, he is pretty famous here and when a mutual music friend introduced me to him he is one of those guys who has that "it" factor if that makes sense. Was raised overseas too so has the best of east and west in his sensibility too. Usually hate jhiphop but he is amazing. 

That's awesome. Both deliveries are as good as you'd expect them to be, and the beat sounds like something EL-P would've made a few years before he started working with Killer Mike. Neat!

@Bear - Ughhhf that Freddie Gibbs track is soooo good. Those 03 Greedo songs are fantastic too. Looks like I'll be working through their discography today while I work.

All the samples you just linked are scratching the (what I believe is called) trap/gangsta rap itch I've had since listening to Denzel Curry's Zuu last year. I've been looking for rap with a similar vibe and production to that album but just haven't found anything quite what I'm looking for until now. 

Is there any other trap rap/gangsta/hardcore rap that you know of that sounds like "Death Row"? What I like about it is how the beats are straight forward but they hit hard.

Edited by ghost

On 3/25/2020 at 3:08 PM, ghost said:

Is there any other trap rap/gangsta/hardcore rap that you know of that sounds like "Death Row"? What I like about it is how the beats are straight forward but they hit hard.

"Death Row" does sample Eazy-E's "Boyz-n-the-Hood", and that's a proper classic. I'd also check out Mulatto's "Bitch From Da Souf". It's less "classy", but the beat also takes a few notes from Eazy-E's classic and it's catchy as hell.

But I think modern rappers like Maxo Kream, Big K.R.I.T., Schoolboy Q, ASAP Ferg, IDK, Flatbush Zombies, Killer Mike/EL-P/Run the Jewels etc. might be of interest. They have a much more mature approach to hip hop than a lot todays hip hoppers, similar to Freddie Gibbs. Not saying they sound similar tho.

This track's just too good. Tech Nine's hook is beyond fantastic, and his verse is superb too. He just popped off on this track.

Unrelated to the stuff above:

People are seriously sleeping on Ramirez. This is the hip hop track of the year, and the entire albums is just pure gold. My only complain is that it looses that summery vibe towards the end of the album with Tales From the Guttah and Red Dot. Both songs are phenomenal, just a lot darker. But the rest of the album? Holy damn! Superb, and the productions are familiar as hell, but still super fresh. Hip hop album of the year so far. Would also recommend a lot of his stuff, but this is his best album so far. I would go as far as to put it above his collabs with Suicideboys.

Edited by Bear