CAT5

THE HIP HOP THREAD!

Totally went down the vapid autotuned-to-hell trash hip-hop rabbit hole since yesterday, but discovering some true gems here...

also getting into Desiigner and Lil Yachty a bit, lmao.

Edited by Jigsaw9

XXX's album is trash. His affinity for retrograde musical forms was always there and he just them loose for 20 minutes of singer song writer tripe that's not even particularly charming in how vapid and seemingly honest ( or deluded, although this does give the album an interesting dimension to it ) it is when it's just... so fucking stupid. Wouldn't be the first time I've done a 180 regarding a new rap album, but I think I'm just going to stop listening to music entirely if I hit my head on something and start thinking that this is good stuff. Lil Peep's album is one that is also preoccupied with the vulnerability of it's author, but it does this without taking a step backwards in form and with a far more introspective character, so I'm just going back to that.

Now listening to uzi's album. 

Oh yeah! This track is so good. Bonus track from the Death Certificate 25th anniversary edition. Sound so god damn classic, despite being an all new(?) track.

2 hours ago, Takadanobabaalien said:

cant get over this track as of lately lol. so amazing

edit:

also VVVV

That beat on Shook Ones Part II is addictive.  It's so good~

And classic Wu-Tang is alway good.

On 2017/12/25 at 9:41 PM, Bear said:

Jaden Smith's debut album is pretty dope. It's fantastic!

People have been telling me to check it out. I need to get on it.

Qveen Herby has been slaying my playlist all week.

I really wish I could see more talented practitioners of flows and bars with the kind of content people of any ethnicity and background could legitly enjoy.

I am not white nor black but man, sometimes I wish to hear less N-bombing and adlibbing thrown inbetween. 

Instead, I would like to see more hot, non-exclusive themes without enforced racial lens. The latter might be often opted due to current minority issues but there are also problems that concern everyone in all honesty.

Hip-hop as of today might not be the best place to look for such content, but with stellar samples, beats and that shit - who could blame most of us for being curious?

So do such releases even exist today?

While I don't think that hip-hop and race will ever be completely separate, there are some artists who are using the genre to convey true emotions. Futurist recently released his latest album and I feel like he and Locksmith are doing great things for the genre without resorting to constant N-bombs and bragging about what they have.

Childish Gambino's recent music has not been to my liking, but Culdesac, EP, and Camp all have a great vibe with some "real" tracks on them that talk about some important issues, with a few bangers in there akin to more typical hip-hop.

Thanks guys for putting in your recommendations.

Oddisee in particular sounds nice and I will make sure to check him out. The same could be said about Glover's moniker although I often forget to give him a chance when looking for similar stuff.

I am not saying that the artists I requested *should not* have any kind of racial lens at all. Just something more than just that, since as @patientZEROsaid it already, constant N-bombing, excessive bragging and agitation of substance apologists (lean, xans etc.) have been a huge no-no to me and alike despite us enjoying a few things from here and there in hip-hop/rap music. People gotta understand that this genre in particular comes with a good load of messages everyone needs to heed at some point, and making it completely exclusive to others via antagonizing rhyme delivery, insider lingo and anything cliquey is not helping at all.

That is also why I wish to see similar beacons of hope who would shed light on hip hop being a legit form of art, rather than a style that perpetuates blind frenzy and violence without any chances given for deeper thoughts, understanding ourselves and what we could do to cope together.

Edited by Alroy

Anyone like 2 Chainz? @Disposable have you heard "Pretty Girls Like Trap Music"? I would recommend "Good Drank", "4 AM", and "It's A Vibe". This is an amazing album, 2 Chainz can really drop bars. I think it's an instant classic. Btw there's a song on here with Migos you said you like them too.

Edited by Mamo

Probably my favorite Swedish rapper atm, I'm not sure how many of you are interested but I'll post two songs anyway lol. Idk if it's enjoyable if you don't understand Swedish but I think he has a nice flow. 

Also the beat for Suedi is so addicting. 

I've been starting to get into Hip Hop again after years of not listening to a thing rap-wise. Mostly old school West Coast stuff, like Ice-T, E40, MC Eiht, Tupac, and Eazy E. Also some of the east coast stuff like Mobb Deep, Wu Tang Clan and Biggie.

Have also been listening to some current artists. Usually ones with some connection to old school artists, such as Lil Eazy E. Also this one Korean-American Rap Duo called Year of the Ox, which have amazing lyrics and flow. Seriously, they deserve to be bigger. 

Been listening to a lot of newer rap lately, with Scarlxrd and Suicideboys being two of the more impressive ones. Been trying to get into Suiceboys for a wile, but it never really clicked until I heard Eternal Grey, with Chariot of Fire being the track that got me sold. So good!

Scarlxrd the GOAT tho. I love how fucking ugly the production sounds. The leads, the melodies, the production. Good stuff.

There's so much going on in the soundcloud rap/and rap scene in general that the trends and sounds evolve and go on a monthly basis. 

Sunday listening 

People's thoughts on the new Rae Sremmurd, Sr3mm, Swae Lee's Swaecation and Slim Jxmmi's Jxmtro? I've only spun it once and I'm so far very impressed. Both Sr3mm and  Swaecation's got a few really good bangers (Guatemala and Powerglide are both gorgeous!). Jxmtro is solid overall, but it lacks Swea Lee's swag and sense for melody for sure. Slim Jxmmi's stil the weakest link, and it os painfully obvious on his side of things. It's not bad, and he's improved a lot. But he's still got a long way to go until he can be compared to his brother.