Jump to content
hyura

Madeth gray'll

Recommended Posts

I just think they deserve their own thread.

First because their music is amazing, second because I can't think of any other minor band that is more glorified and copied even AFTER their disbandment. (I mean there is a whole genre that pretty much consists of trying to be them.)

 

How do they do it?

 

Let's talk about Madeth gray'll!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They've changed a lot of my outlook on music. When I first heard them, I thought they were awful. Gradually I started to like them a lot more, but it wasn't until maybe 3~4 years ago did I really start to consider them a favorite as opposed to a "guilty pleasure." The biggest thing they've done for me was teach me how to look past unusual vocals and get more out of a song based on the emotion placed in other areas.

 

Look, I love Hisui a lot, but he's out of tune 95% of the time. The other 5% he's doing his outburst of emotion thing. For a while that really bothered me, but now I can really appreciate the charm in being...of key? Without Madeth, I really wouldn't like kote-kei at all.

 

Love love love love their costumes though. I have a soft spot for awful gawf photoshopping and blown out faces, but even without liking that I still think their Lucifer photos and graphic designs are phenomenal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look, I love Hisui a lot, but he's out of tune 95% of the time. The other 5% he's doing his outburst of emotion thing. For a while that really bothered me, but now I can really appreciate the charm in being...of key? Without Madeth, I really wouldn't like kote-kei at all.

 

This is so true!

I had a similar experience. When I first heard Hisui sing it felt totally off and weird but it didn't take very long and he became one of my favorite vocalists. I also started liking other bands with 'bad' vocals afterwards, but none fascinated me as much.

I think that his charme isn't just that he sings off key (about 80% of visual vocalists can't sing anyway.) it's more that he's always shaking somewhere around the correct one. Also: when he sings low it sounds forced and when he sings high it sounds forced as well.

He might just have the perfect troubled voice for singing out of tune.

 

 

I love that they were huge LUNA SEA fans, that's about it.

 

Nah, kidding. One of the best Matina bands for sure!

 

XD It was the 90s and everybody was in a 黒夢 or Luna Sea copyband!

But yes, I think I know what you mean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah. I have been looking for audio of their live performances of early LUNA SEA material, which I know exists but hard to find. :P

 

Anyway, I think my favorite song of theirs is Chizome no kigeki. Fuckin' awesome.

 

About Madeth (and Hisuis other projects, eg Jelly Berry) it's generally kind of irritating that there seem to be soooo many unofficial recordings around that never actually surface.

 

I love Chizome no kigeki! 8D Yukinas compositions generally rock.

But my favorite is rasen yuugi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Madeth gray'll are pure love <3 I first discovered them via youtube, but have heard of them before. They have been one of my very first old school listens besides Aliene and Syndrome and I am really glad about that as it sparked my interest into old visual kei in genereal.
I have never had any problems with Hisui's voice to be honest. Sure, it is an aquired taste, unusual and he is very out of tune but since I am also a big Deathrock fan I found his tearful voice just fits to the music and aesthetics of the band. He seemed just so expressive, emotional and psychotic and that's what I like about most of the darker visual kei bands of the 90s.

And yeah, their compositions rule (so do their lyrics, or those which translation I have read). Dark, aggressive, hypnotic sounds that combine the power of hardrock, punk and goth.

 

I too find Chizome no Higeki awesome. But I also like to listen to Missantroop, Hakuchuumu no sangeki, 「Zwei」(...long title), Akuratsu naru [rei] ni sosogu, Rasen yuugi and Gekiyaku.
From their softer songs I love kuuchuutoshi ~in the zalemu~ and Entith de Marge, I'd even prefer them over Lucifer, which I think is wonderfully composed but overrated in my opinion. But basically all of their songs are awesome :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been wanting to write a real response but I just haven't had time D:

 

Madeth though is fantastically awesome, would love to see Yuina and Hisui back. Honestly they don't even have to be in a band, if they just hung out in the background composing songs for newbie bands that would be enough to make me happy.

 

Madeth had already broken up by the time I started getting into Visual Kei but since it was only just a few years after that, Schwardix an active band, so fans were still clamoring on about the Madeth. So of course this band along with other classic old bands such as Aliene, Noir Fleurir, Yayoi and Yuuga crap. Madeth was one of those early loves that got me stuck in this VK shit hole with all the other weeaboo scum <3 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just carefully answered your posts and then accidently closed the tab. D :

 

However, it made me super happy to read I'm not the only one here that still misses them!

 

And yeah, their compositions rule (so
do their lyrics, or those which translation I have read). Dark,
aggressive, hypnotic sounds that combine the power of hardrock, punk and
goth.

 

I too find Chizome no Higeki awesome. But I also
like to listen to Missantroop, Hakuchuumu no sangeki, 「Zwei」(...long
title), Akuratsu naru [rei] ni sosogu, Rasen yuugi and Gekiyaku.
From
their softer songs I love kuuchuutoshi ~in the zalemu~ and Entith de
Marge, I'd even prefer them over Lucifer, which I think is wonderfully
composed but overrated in my opinion. But basically all of their songs
are awesome :)

We seem to have a similar taste, because whenever I read your posts I want to agree. XD

Madeth gray'll are a *great lyrics*-band for me as well. Hisui manages to make them much more intense and ~real~ than many other grotesque bands of that time. It seems that horrible things happened in his life, so it might not be a beautiful reason, but it fits their music incredibly well.

The lyrics for lucifer are really, really beautiful.

It's just that madeth gray'll are hard to translate and there are lots of translations around that don't really hit the point. (I still think that the people who made those do an amazing job. It's easy to pick on mistakes afterwards, but I'm not any better.)

 

Madeth though is fantastically awesome, would love to see
Yuina and Hisui back. Honestly they don't even have to be in a band, if
they just hung out in the background composing songs for newbie bands
that would be enough to make me happy.

 

That would be the greatest thing in the world. They were perfect together and what they did seperately just doesn't nearly reach the level of Madeth gray'll in my opinion.

I was super sad when the *Madeth gray'll won't reunite... EVER* statement was posted some time ago.

Especially because it seems that nobody from the scene had any kind of contact to Hisui since 2004 and nobody knows what happened to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So was Sadies mary any bigger than La'veil mizeria? Because they dont seem to have a lot of fans... And if Sadies mary had more fans I assume they would follow Kikyo in La'veil mizeria as well

IMO both of those are bands that White People care about more than actual Japanese fans... (because they look cool)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(because they look cool)

weeeell, i can hardly say that sadiesmarry look was cool. la'veil's is defenitely an improvement though. anyway i think oversea fans like them more about their music than about their look. and also that they are like the only band which is still remains tr00 and kvlt these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chizome no Kigeki is awesome, love the drumming, the lilt of the song and its insanity. It reminds me very much of Dye by Baiser.

 

Probably they were inspired by Baiser to make that song.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been listen to Madeth Gray'll for a short time.

But i fell in love with them when i first listen to Missantroop and 空中都市~in the zalemu~ 
Hisui's vocals fits perfectly in the songs even when he is off key...which happens a lot

Edited by Zero445
I want to write the kanji of the song's name

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...