Sign in to follow this  
Ito

The 2012 Staff Picks

The 2012 Staff Picks

The MH staff wanted to do something a little different this year. While we still are going to do individual “best of” lists, we wanted to create a list that really reflects upon what the entire staff* liked over the course of 2012. And here we have it! This list was created over the span of about a month and it took a lot of effort to narrow down the list to -just- the 20 releases** we have here. Once it was finished, each member had the option to write a “take” on an album which briefly explains what the album is like and why they enjoyed it. Now, after a lot of hard work, we present the Monochrome Heaven Staff picks from 2012 in alphabetical order!

*This was an entire staff project, but not every member wrote a take. This means that every member had a hand in picking out the albums, even if you don’t see their name below.

**This list was limited to include only Japanese releases, since that is the main focus of MH.

The List

A - Tales for the Abyss

A-TalesfortheAbyss_zpsa87d0f1f.jpg

Sample Song: Night Of The Knights

Zess's Take

I really like A because they take music seriously and it shows. Tales of the Abyss is a consistent effort from start to finish. It's got a nice flow with a good handful of new songs that rock. The new drummer even spices up the old songs some too!

Champ213’s Take

I have never been one of those to bemoan that VK "always sounds the same" - considering that VK can be anything from pop-rock to metal. But I still give A extra credit for trying to sound different than other bands of the genre. They cover quite a variety of styles without sounding too random. And they have quite a talent for songwriting. I just wish the violin was more prominent overall.

sai's Take

A is a band that has never disappointed me in the past so I was highly looking forward to this album. It delivered, as I already expected it to. A is one of those smaller VK bands who aren't really known around here, but they stand out for their own unique sound despite their young age. A does what many new VK bands can't/don't dare to do: they're different from the rest. They create their own sound while experimenting with different styles and melodies but still manage to keep it interesting all the way through. Their addition of a violinist is also something that is quite unique, but it works like magic. I'd say A definitely made it to my favorites list with this album.

Alice Nine - "9"

AliceNine-9_zps821a7153.jpg

Sample Song: Heavenly Tale

sai's Take

Even though this was released hardly a year after GEMINI, Alice Nine still delivers with "9". "9" is nothing experimental or extraordinary like GEMINI was, but you can just say it's Alice Nine doing their thing and doing what they do best. This album is filled with catchy songs, intriguing melodies and their usual sound: just simply rocking out. Nothing ground breaking, but enjoyable enough. All members show improvements on this record, especially the guitar work and the vocals. That's the cool thing about Alice Nine: their skills keep improving in every new thing that they make. I'd definitely recommend this album to people who'd like to start listening to Alice Nine, but don't know where to start yet.

アルカラ - ドラマ

Arukara – Drama

Arukara-Drama_zps9df88266.jpg

Sample Song: 踊れやフリーダ (Odore ya Furida)

CAT5’s Take

I consider Arukara the flag-bearers of a particular brand of rock in Japan that see bands blending traditional elements of "indie-rock" with pop sensibilities. While many attempt this style, trying to appease the indie/DIY fans and exert mass appeal at the same time, Arukara simply excels at it. Whether they're doing ballads, instrumental tracks, or simply rocking out, they always manage to remain catchy and melodic without compromising their skills as musicians. Drama does a wonderful job at showcasing the band at their best.

Original Saku’s Take

Although this is not my favorite Arukara album it is still very good, very well made, and keeps with their signature indie rock sound. The vocalist plays a big role in their wacky sound with his antics on the mic combined with his skills on the violin and the guitarist's weird riffs and solo's make up this band's unorthodox compositions. In my opinion there is not one band that quite sounds like these guys.

ATATA - TATAT

ATATA-TATAT_zps08f97b0d.jpg

Sample Song: Minority Fight Song

CAT5’s Take

After releasing a string of demos, ATATA has finally released their first full length and it is thoroughly fantastic! Consisting of ex. Bandwagon, nenem, Retromania, Mirror, Holstein, and 3cm tour members, ATATA combines all of the punk, post-rock, and emo/hardcore elements from these bands into one seriously rocking package!

Aion’s Take

This band is just a great mix-up of artists that have proved their strength in previous bands (like HOLSTEIN, 3cm tour, and mirror). ATATA shows that you shouldn't always stay in the past, and they deliver! Listening to TATAT you immediately recognize the brilliance and chemistry this band creates with their unlimited variations in play styles. Name what you want, and they deliver, again and again.

Original Saku’s Take

This is basically my favorite rock album of the year, just the way these guys were able to combine several rock genres seamlessly into one cohesive album is just amazing. It is very energetic at times and then at other times mellow and soothing without losing the rockish sound. The most impressive thing is the instrumentation in this album, the drumming combined with the keyboards definitely carry this album and sets the pace for the songs. While the roaring guitars make you want to get up and head bang along, the vocals are good and in my opinion is where most of the energetic feeling comes from.

BUCK-TICK - 夢見る宇宙

BUCK-TICK - Yume miru uchuu

Buck-Tick-Yumemiruuchuu_zps1c2732c4.jpg

Sample Song: ONLY YOU -WE ARE NOT ALONE-

Champ213’s Take

One thing I appreciate about BUCK-TICK is that they always try to sound a bit different from their previous efforts. It's not always original and it's not always brilliant, but it always shows a lot of effort and versatility. Overall Yume miru uchuu is more upbeat than other BUCK-TICK albums in the past, but in a very mature way and it offers a lot of catchiness.

sai's Take

Not as impressive as I had hoped it to be, but overall still a very good album for BUCK-TICK's 25th anniversary. This is a rather straightforward rock album, with catchy tracks, nice guitars, and some nice ballads here and there. Even though it is another more straight-rock album, this album still manages to sound different and have a sound of its own, which differentiates it from the other albums that have been released ever since 2007. I'd also call this a rather accessible album compared to their older stuff, but it's in no ways as bad as some people make it out to be. BUCK-TICK has pretty much shown that 'bad' doesn't exist in their musical dictionary.

Cocklobin - Iris

Cocklobin-Iris_zpsa8cd0e96.jpg

Sample Song: Healing

Ito’s Take

Iris does an incredible job at feeling like a complete package. While some might argue that a lot of the songs sound similar, it really helps develop the overall feel of the album. Nigu’s vocals and the overall guitar tone do a great job and hinting at this dark melancholy mood. Subtly is something not seen often in this scene, so it great to see it here.

COgeNdshE - cogency

COgeNdshE-cogency_zps39f5448a.jpg

Sample Song: 錯乱 (Sakuran)

Ito’s Take

With no idea what this band sounds like, or even how to pronounce their name, I went in to this album with zero expectations. I want to label them as post rock but something about that doesn’t feel quite right. The second track, Sakuran, gives me goose bumps nearly every time I listen to it…dat bass….and the vocals are downright haunting. And how can you not like a band that list Meshuggah and Ayumi Hamasaki as their main influences?

CAT5’s Take

Zankyo records is well respected amongst fans of indie and post-rock due to their impressive roster of quality bands (mudy on the 昨晩, the cabs, and te' to name a few), and COgeNdshE is a welcome addition to the label. Their music isn't as easy to digest as some of their label-mates, however. Cogency has a dark, often brooding quality to it and is chock-full of unusual rhythms and time signatures. In addition, the hauntingly melodic female vocals provide a stark contrast to the music itself. The band focuses more on creating a solid atmosphere as a single unit as opposed to employing overly flashy instrumentation in an attempt to highlight themselves as individual musicians. This album is perhaps a bit more left-field than most Monochromians are accustomed to and may require several listens to truly wrap your head around, but it's a rewarding listen if you're willing to give it a try...or two!

Aion’s Take

COgeNdshE has a quite nice and unique way of playing their kind of post-rock (cause in all honesty, they really are post-rock) thanks to the electronic and poppy elements mixed in their music. Especially the female vocals mixed in starting from the second track gives this album a real nice feel. I sometimes even feel a bit eerie-ness in it, like I only really am familiar of from Akira Yamaoka (Silent Hill-soundtracks).

the god and the death stars - Tonight is the Night

thegodandthedeathstars-tonightisthenight_zpsdb656f0f.jpg

Sample Song: プール (pool)

Zess’s Take

I only very recently got into the god and death stars thanks to talking to WhirlingBlack in the shoutbox. This was the melancholic Nagoya-styled alternative rock that I didn't know I was missing. They're up there with deadman for me in bands that excel at this sound. tonight is the night is the perfect length with the perfect type of production: the booming but controlled bass and drums being what sticks out for me most.

Ito’s Take

I don’t think aie has been this on point since Deadman disbanded. The “nagoya” sound is in full force here with that darker melancholy feel. If that isn’t enough, there is also the incredible production on this album; the guitars are full, the bass is chunky, the drums have a taught and controlled thump, and the vocals are recessed but never hidden.

八十八ヶ所巡礼 - ○△□

88kasyo junrei - ○△□

88kasyojunrei-_zpsb010fec1.jpg

Sample Song: ☞異界逝コウ☜ (☞ikai sei kou☜)

Zess’s Take

I didn't like this one at first...then it grew on me. Having said that, you really have to prepare yourself for this band. If the song or album titles didn't tip you off, the first song will be more than enough to let you know that 八十八ヶ所巡礼 is crazy. The talent of the guitarists is not to be underestimated - they hit so many more notes than you would expect without it seeming like endless noodling to seem "progressive". If you like offbeat punk styled music that sounds like a pure rush of energy, give this a try.

CAT5’s Take

○△□ is 88kasyo's 3rd full album, with their previous 2 albums being released in 2011 and 2010 respectively (all in the month of August btw). With releases so close together, you'd think it would be hard for a band to maintain the quality of their work, but that hasn't been the case with this trio. 88kasyo has only improved and grown even wilder with each release. Their skills are simply undeniable (srsly, their guitarist does more on his guitar in one song than some bands with 2 guitarists do in an entire album *cough*thegazette*cough*). But more importantly than their skills as musicians is their ability to craft songs that are unique, refreshing, and keep your ears craving more. Their previous album made my into my top picks of 2011, and they've managed to do so again this year. 88kasyo Junrei is on a level all their own.

Original Saku’s Take

This is one of those bands that makes you go "wtf", but not in the bad way. Initially when I heard this album I wasn't digging it as much as past works, but after consecutive listens I can say without a doubt that this one is a grower. If you've ever listened to a 八十八ヶ所巡礼 album then you'll be glad to know that this compliments their other endeavors very nicely, and if you haven't had the pleasure of hearing these guys before, then get ready, you're in for a wild ride.

How to count one to ten - Blue Building Blocks

howtocountonetoten-bluebuildingblocks_zps1e5c46f4.jpg

Sample Song: Colossal Squid

Ito’s Take

If I gave you this album and told you that it was toe’s new album, you would probably believe me, and that is not a bad thing at all. How to count one to ten plays a light and upbeat style of post rock that is almost “math-y” at times. With three guitarist, they guys (and girl!) can lay down some awesome and complex sounds without making things messy.

Aion’s Take

I already described them in my favourite top 10-albums of Japan list earlier, and this is definitely one of the most listened and loved rock-albums out of Japan released in 2012 for me. The link with toe is quickly made, and when you keep listening to it you keep on comparing them with toe. However, their strength really lies in the addition of a third guitar. While not always really noticeable, there are times where the three guitar-players really work out awesome in such an eargasmic way.

THE KIDDIE - MA★PIECE

TheKiddie-MAPIECE_zpsbba42e36.jpg

Sample Song: mr. FIREBIRD

sai's Take

All other VK pop-rock acts can definitely move over, because THE KIDDIE has taken the position of best pop-rock VK album of the year. It's fun, funky, catchy and really diverse as well. They tuned up their guitars for this one a bit, which gives the music more impact and leaves more memorable tracks than before. The vocalist has a pleasant voice to listen to and has improved a lot when compared to his earlier bands.

lynch. - Inferiority Complex

lynch-InferiorityComplex_zps991c5170.jpg

Sample Song: THE FATAL HOUR HAS COME

Zess’s Take

Inferiority Complex gets a lot of flak for not being I BELIEVE IN ME II but with all comparisons and expectations aside it's a decent album. lynch. tends to release albums that grow on you over time if fan reactions to THE AVOIDED SUN, THE BURIED and SHADOWS are anything to go by. It's not as experimental as their last LP but consistency isn't a bad thing and Inferiority Complex delivers in spades if you're looking for lynch.'s more aggressive side.

Ito’s Take

For me lynch. has always been a very hit or miss band. Inferiority Complex is by no means their best album, and I even consider it a step down from their last album, but it still delivers with a bunch of short, aggressive, and fast pasted songs with their signature melody styling. If you liked I BELIEVE IN ME, you will probably like this album as well…and if you didn’t, I doubt this album will appeal to you.

Miyauchi Yuri - Tone after Tone

MiyauchiYuri-ToneAfterTone_zps3dbdd53b.jpg

Sample Song: Toaf_

Ito’s Take

CAT5 is quick to point out that this album isn’t really rock and is kind of an odd ball on this list. But I enjoyed the hell out of this “folktronica” album, so close enough. Yuri’s sound is what I imagine would happen if an acoustic guitar was turned in to a glitchy computer. The songs are bright, fun, and playful and every time I spin this album I just feel cheery. Probably the best feel good music of 2012.

MIYAVI - SAMURAI SESSIONS vol.1

MIYAVI-SAMURAISESSIONSvol1_zpsf5336570.jpg

Sample Song: DAY 1 (vs. YUKSEK)

sai's Take

I've never been a big fan of MIYAVI's earlier works, but this mini-album was a nice surprise. MIYAVI experiments with a vast number of styles on this album without losing his own touch and sound. The collaborations with both Japanese as non-Japanese musicians greatly contributed to this diversity, therefore making it probably the most outstanding and unique MIYAVI release of the past few years.

MUCC - SHANGRI-LA

MUCC-Shangri-La_zpsf64627a0.jpg

Sample Song: ???

Candy Warhol’s Take

This is an album that is surprising and puts you in emotional wreck. It is surprising yet very enjoyable.

I personally pleased with their take on this release. Unlike some bands that either end up being carbon copies of one another and being unchallenged legends that make music with the same old boring sounds, MUCC still feel the need to reinvent themselves and their sounds. SHANGRI-LA completely blew me away. The attention to details with effects and frequent mind blowing riffs has made this album one of my favorite Japanese releases of this year. This is not just gimmick. Not just cheap fan service. This is music. It takes you on a journey to a place so foreign you might feel intimidated for not having enough guts to explore it.

死んだ僕の彼女 - underdrawing for three forms of unhappiness at the state of existence

my dead girlfriend - underdrawing for three forms of unhappiness at the state of existence

mydeadgirlfriend-underdrawingforthreeformsofunhappinessatthestateofexistence_zps3471167b.jpg

Sample Song: Skyscraper Kills My Ghost In Your Memory

[mp3]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54067286/Music/2012%20Staff%20Picks/my%20dead%20girlfriend%20-%20Skyscraper%20Kills%20My%20Ghost%20In%20Your%20Memory.mp3" />

Aion’s Take

Somehow Japan is becoming one of my favorite lands for shoegaze. With their new album, which isn't their best actually, My Dead Girlfriend shows again their skills. It is in my opinion still a really strong album, and it keeps the dreamy atmosphere that I desire from time to time. This mini-album has an awesome start with one of their two best songs ever, but then it loses its momentum for me.

Plastic Tree - インク

Plastic Tree - Ink

PlasticTree-ink_zps0827cb65.jpg

Sample Song: ピアノブラック (piano burakku)

Original Saku’s Take

It would seem some might call this a "safe" album and you know what? They're correct, but is that really a bad thing? This album keeps with pura's signature shoegaze style and incorporates the dream pop sound they are known for from their recent works, so yes it is more or less the same sound that pura fans know and love. There are no big surprises or crazy experimentation, but this an extremely polished album with amazing mixing that blows their past sound production out of the water. That being said I believe pura has perfected their sound with this album and despite being rather safe is still an amazing record, and with such a well-established feeling and sound why take the risk? Right?

Sigh - In Somniphobia

Sigh-InSomniphobia_zps3b088e1a.jpg

Sample Song: Amnesia

Zess’s Take

My favorite Sigh record for quite some time, it's not fair to peg In Somniphobia as a black metal record because of the sheer amount of elements they throw onto this album. Sigh has for a while relied on a smorgasbord of every sound imaginable to permeate their albums, but it wasn't until now that they were able to use them all tastefully while still sounding like a band and not just a project to have Dr. Mikkanibal waggle her titties while playing the saxophone now and again. If you like Sigh, black metal, avant-garde music or bands that experiment a lot, In Somniphobia might be what you're looking for.

Thousand Leaves - EARLY YEARS OF SORROW

ThousandLeaves-EARLYYEARSOFSORROW_zps8f8a0896.jpg

Sample Song: Flame of Sadness

Zess’s Take

This is some of the most solid melodeath I've heard in a while, doubly so when it comes from a scene where the motto is quantity over quality. Thousand Leaves delivered an album that kicks you in the face with wailing guitar, harsh vocals and abundant solos from start to finish. There is not one bad song on this album. If you don't mind Abecky's vocals, you need this album in your collection.

Original Saku’s Take

I myself went into this album not expecting much, I mean why should I? It’s Touhou and not to say that's a bad thing, but I haven't been into Touhou as much this year as I have in recent times and truth be told I'm not overly fond of Abecky's vocal work. Not to mention melodeath hasn't exactly seen many good releases this year. But it turns out I was completely wrong, two tracks in and I'm eating my own words. Every doubt and misconstrued thought I had before going in to this album has been turned on its head. By the end I'm standing in my house headbanging and embarrassingly enough almost knocking over my entertainment center... This is most definitely the best melodic death metal album of the year, don't let the Touhou origins scare you, I guarantee you three tracks in and you won't even remember that this is Touhou related. Melodeath fans rejoice this is the record you've been waiting all year for.

女王蜂 - 蛇姫様

Ziyoou-vachi - hebi himesama

Ziyoou-vachi-hebihimesama_zps711eea10.jpg

Sample Song: 歌姫 (uta hime)

Zess’s Take

It's not every day that a gender-bending teenage quartet sashays down a carpet in five-inch heels to bust out into some hellish punk. Somewhat less brash and in-your-face than 八十八, but that's not saying much. 女王蜂 is an interesting band - frontwoman Avu identifies as a transgender, and she takes full advantage of her "man" voice and her "woman" voice to jump all over the place in a single song. On top of her range, 蛇姫様 sees 女王蜂 twist and contort their punk sound into so many different forms without waddling into another genre. It's not every day that a band this young, fresh and solid appears.

Champ213’s Take

I wouldn't call myself an avid fan of this band but I like them well enough. The vocals are surely something you have to get used to, but they do show a lot of variety. The songwriting is just brilliant too, with just the right balance of weirdness and catchiness.

Aion’s Take

If you want something to completely go hyper over when listening to, you've come to the right place with Ziyoou-vachi's 2012-album. This album jumps all over the place leaving you in a mental rush after listening for the first time. Traditional Japanese instruments, cat-sounds, high-pitched vocals, hard growls, cross-dressed vocalist…And here you were thinking only VK could deliver such things without being looked at with strange eyes?

Candy Warhol’s Take

This album marks a return to their older sounds, which many of their earlier fans familiar with. Raw, unique, and noisy; you will find yourself rocking out to this. It is not confusing at all. You know, unlike that kind of music that only makes you forehead wrinkles, and only hipsters listened to it for cool points.

女王蜂 is certainly more than that and I am very happy to witness their progress. They have always been brilliant. This album screams they are going strong. I enjoy how they put Japanese sounds into their modern music with precision. It is an ambitious album but not to the point where it becomes overkill.

9 GOATS BLACK OUT – Calling

9GOATSBLACKOUT-Calling_zpsb3e0f9a0.jpg

Sample Song: 8秒 (Hachibyou)

Champ213’s Take

9GBO's final album is again a good effort - I didn't like it as much as some of their previous works as it was lacking some definite highlights for me. But the overall quality of the songs and their impeccable execution was enough for me to include them on the list. A very relaxing album with a change of pace every now and then. I'm sad to see them disband either way.

Come on, guys!

Can we at least get a little feedback? Did you like the list or the format? Any questions you have on why we picked things or excluded others? Would you like to see us do this again in the future, or was this too much text? Something?!?! XD

I apologize. This is rather interesting, I love the format and how there are random comments from some admins on here which was nice.

Although all of these aren't amongst my personal favorites, they are all very sound choices I think!

I certainly need to try more of the god and the death stars, Alice 9, and A. I Also need to listen to last 9GBO again. I wasn't blown away by it initially, but I have a good feeling that I'll like it more upon repeated listens.

Nice Job Ito! I should hopefully have my personal list done soon! ^^:;;

This was fun to read, The format was fine and flowed pretty nicely. The only thing I thought would have made it better/more interesting would be if everyone involved gave their opinion on all the releases, even if the opinion wasn't positive.

Sign in to follow this