sai

DIR EN GREY new mini-album "THE UNRAVELING" release

Am I the only one who would rather have only new songs instead

No, my first reaction when I saw the tracklist on their OHP was disappointment. I thought we were getting 7 brand new songs (and some supercool bonus stuff on the CD2). Now it feels like a single with 6 bonus tracks, and I will be more disappointed if "Unraveling" turns out to be a Intro.

But the tracklist is pretty interesting and it will definitely be a good EP! I will order the Delxue Ltd Edition because "MACABRE" is there and I just love that song. I will stay quite neutral about this until we're getting some samples.

Are they switching release strategy now? It seems so wierd that they're releasing a remake mini album. I really hope they stop adding remake tracks on their singles now when we're getting a mini album. They could add remixes on their singles instead.

I'm still genuinely surprised the new Mazohyst isn't on here, would've expected them to have released that by now

Am I the only one who would rather have only new songs instead?

No, my first reaction when I saw the tracklist on their OHP was disappointment.

^ And I was thinking I'm the only one who'd prefer new songs. This could be a huge surprise if they weren't talking about 7 NEW songs in the first place, but now I can't deny I'm disappointed (while super-excited for these remakes in the same time).

Am I the only one who would rather have only new songs instead? 

nope.

I also hate that they are covering their finest kisou/vulgar/wtd songs which honestly screams about complete lack of ideas, topped with urge to get quick cash.

I hated all of their self covers except for hydra666 and already smell a fail album incoming.

bottom of dead valley butchered by their lame ass recent sound mixing & kasumi seasoned with falcettos would probably end my interest for present deg.

anyway expecting a qt h naoto sex pot revenge moi-même-moitié look like its 2002 all over again!11

I will stay quite neutral about this until we're getting some samples.

that²

the quality of their remakes has been fluctuating quite a bit.

(they all go in the same direction, but it works on some songs better than on others)

also the opinion about those remakes is pretty much all over the place, so i have no idea how this'll turn out, massive win/fail but nothing inbetween i guess :P

i'm curious about it, but i guess i'd have preferred new songs aswell. at least there seems to be no symphonic garbage on it :P

Very interesting tracklist.....I myself have liked their remakes more than original songs....so i,m definitely interested how they will remake those songs..all new songs would have been better though of course...

Can't they just leave old good songs as they are ?

First they made Kiri to mayu sound shitty, now they will do the same with The Final and Kasumi, seriously just stop and make news songs only

Wow, interesting tracklist! I don't have much of a strong bond with most of those older tracks, but anyway it will be really exciting to hear how they'll rework them... also yay, new song!

Lookin' forward to it. :)

Vulgar and Withering to Death were ok as they were, it's unneed to remake it, unless it gonna be in decent way like 蝕紅 was.

Still curious about the results though.

I'm still genuinely surprised the new Mazohyst isn't on here, would've expected them to have released that by now

fuck yes. I've been waiting for this too.

I don't understand people getting mad over remakes. you know, you don't have to listen to them.

I don't understand people getting mad over remakes. you know, you don't have to listen to them.

Lol this. Who gives a fuck even if they _supposedly_ ""ruin""  their entire discography. How does it affect your life in any way? And as if those old songs are some untouchable masterpieces.

With that said, Nekkichi's description of Kasumi did make me dry heave.

cautiously optimistic!  it's a cool selection of songs but their last couple remakes have left me really cold

don't really feel like THE FINAL needs any tuning up, though

No need to remake good songs, very dissapointed by that tracklist.

I bet the new song is an instrumental too, lol.

I don't think it makes sense to make an unplugged version of an instrumental song.

Edit:

DIR EN GREY who continues to storm not only Japan but the world, will be releasing a Mini Album 'THE UNRAVELING' with 7 songs including a new song "Unraveling" in April 3, 2013, just 4 months after their new single "RINKAKU"

From their FB. I wonder if Unraveling will be on their next album?

I will prefer just new song, but they make an awesome work on their recording song, but why Macabre is only for limited edition, I WANT IT ON THE REGULAR XD

TBH the only songs on this that  I REALLY hope they wont fuck up are Karasu and Macabre

The Final is hella overrated anyway

I don't think it makes sense to make an unplugged version of an instrumental song.

Edit:

DIR EN GREY who continues to storm not only Japan but the world, will be releasing a Mini Album 'THE UNRAVELING' with 7 songs including a new song "Unraveling" in April 3, 2013, just 4 months after their new single "RINKAKU"

From their FB. I wonder if Unraveling will be on their next album?

I can't think of their next album anymore. I mean, they were quite predictable till now, but at this moment I don't know what to expect. There are too many options, and I'm not even sure if Rinkaku will be on any full-length album (maybe it was just a "single only" release like ain't afraid to die).

Also it's strange to see a song name without full caps. It looks like they really want to bring back their pre-2006/07 era.

I can't think of their next album anymore. I mean, they were quite predictable till now, but at this moment I don't know what to expect. There are too many options, and I'm not even sure if Rinkaku will be on any full-length album (maybe it was just a "single only" release like ain't afraid to die).

Also it's strange to see a song name without full caps. It looks like they really want to bring back their pre-2006/07 era.

Yeah. Actually this whole mini album reminds me of what they did on Six Ugly. It just screams "change" for me.

Re-recording old songs in a new sound would make sense if that's what they intend to do.

Well, six Ugly was also a mini album with old and new tracks, I assume this is what they're doing on their mini albums, mixing new tracks with remakes (which will sound like a new songs) so now I'm actually fine with the tracklist.

I can see what Karma and Karasu are going (like Tsumi to batsu, ZAN and Kiri to mayu) while I'm VERY curious about KASUMI which are one of my favorites from VULGAR.

Just got soo excited that I pre-ordered the Deluxe Ltd Edition just now.

Guest MaddAdam

Most likely a sign of a new Diru era in creativity. I wonder if it will alienate a portion of the fans like when Six Ugly and the albums that followed came out.

Absolutely it will. I'm actually kindof glad that I came on DEG when I did, because their musical evolution has followed my taste's evolution pretty damn well.

I find Dir en Grey's development so interesting. They went through a period for a while where they pretty much refused to acknowledged the band they had been in the past. But now we have them going back and remaking a bunch of old songs.

From my knowledge (and I very well may be missing some) These are all the rerecording/remakes that Dir en Grey has done....READ the rest of this post in the Dir en Grey thread (where the actual discussion should be going on)

http://www.monochrome-heaven.com/topic/5-dir-en-grey/page-66