Sign in to follow this  
Pandabear

Best Albums Of 2012

2012 was an awesome year for music in general. There were so many great music releases, I had a hard time keeping up. I did manage to hear most of what I wanted to hear and discovered new bands along the way. Now that another year has more or less gone by, it’s time for this thread once again. Give your list of what you thought were the best albums of 2012. Naturally the lists are subjective to everyone’s personal taste’s and what they managed to hear, but its fun to share and compare and discover new music.

For my choices, I've narrowed them down to the ones below. They’re listed in no particular order. And I might be a few weeks early, but if anything mind blowing gets released in these last couple of weeks I’ll be sure to add it in

Silversun Picks Up -Simmer

1) Silversun Pickups - Neck Of The Woods

Amazing album is amazing. This is like experimental progressive shoegaze. The band really expanded on their sound with dynamics. Lot’s of soft and beautiful shoegaze verses are contrasted with loud and super energetic choruses. The drumming, atmosphere and guitar work on this album is superb. The noise, distortion and atmospheres really have been refined into an elegant form. This is probably the best work the band has put out so far.

Cherri Bomb - Act The Part

2) Cherri Bomb - This Is The End Of Control

These girls had the best debut of any band I heard for 2012. They’re like a female version of the Foo Fighters except more rockier. Oh yeah and they’re all like 16 years-old. Everyone is really amazing, the vocalist is freaking great and sounds like a seasoned pro, their guitarists have really great guitar riffs and can shred, and their drummer is amazing. I can listen to their album without skipping a single song. Their songs are really well made, melodic and have big choruses. It’s kinda messed up when you have the Taylor Swifts of the world selling millions of copies of their generic crappy music and then you have such young talented girls like Cherri Bomb and no one barely knows them.

Deftones - Rosemary

3) Deftones- Koi No Yokan

Any best of 2012 music list is incomplete with this album. It’s a work of art and a masterpiece. The lyrics are gorgeous and obscure, the vocals are without fault, the drumwork is amazing and the 8 string guitars are dynamic brushes that paint sonic palettes. They resound delicate melodies, and churn out some heavy guitar drones. There’s a post-metal and metal-gaze sound in this album that the best of its genre and is up there with the likes of Boris and Jesu. I was really surprised at the shoegaze influence on this album, but it works very nicely with the dynamic aspect. Songs move from dream-pop atmospheres and shoegazing jaunts to experimental rock and some real heavy Messugah worthy riffage. Best rock album of 2012 IMO.

The Faceless - Ten Billion Years

4) The Faceless - Autotheism

I’ll say this right off the bat, this is the best metal album of 2012. That’s not easy feat to accomplish in year when you have giant metal heavyweights like Messugah, Cannibal Corpse and Gojira releasing albums of their own. If your a metal fan and haven’t listened to this album yet, go do it right now. Autotheism is metal masterpiece of brutality and technicality presented in an epic progressive format. The guitars are mind-blowing technical passages as is the drumming and bass work, but the guitar note leading is spectacular, recalling the likes of David Gilmour's work in Pink Floyd. You can hear a blues and jazz influences make their way into the music. The vocals themselves switch between brutal death growls and engaging Devin Townsend inspired cleans.

Periphery - Make Total Destroy

5) Periphery II: This Time It’s Personal.

I fell in love with this band after hearing their debut. And their follow up is not as strong as their self titled release, but it’s still pretty damn awesome. It has everything the band has become know for, technical guitar playing, awesome drumming, a razor sharp production, being densely layered and the continuation into their experimental progressive metal. The ambient electronic elements are still there, but this time around, they’ve expanded on their experimental side. They’ve taken inspiration from Final Fantasy games (as evidence in their song titles) and influence from Nobuo Uematsu which explains their structures following the evolving aspects of symphonic compositions. Spencer’s clean vocals are at their all time best, and the technical guitar playing is still there. They even got guitar gods like John Petrucci of Dream Theater, Guthrie Govan of Erotic Cakes and Wes Hauch of the Faceless to do guest solos.

80kidz - Mind The Gap
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4MIWFo0B5w

6) 80kidz - TurboTown

You know you have an awesome album in your hands when you can listen to every single song it without skipping a single track on it. Such is the case with Turbotown. There’s lots of electronic goodness and even some tracks with some very nice vocals and guitars. A lot of songs remind me of something Daft Punk might do, but they’re about 10x better

Kyary - Ponponpon

7) Kyary - PamyuPamyu Revolution

If there were an award for most fun album of the year, I think this one would win it. Kyary’s style of electro-pop is super catchy and cute. I have a blast listening to her infectious non-sense lyrics, the upbeat electro-pop music, her cute singing and watching her silly music videos. It certainly doesn't hurt that Yasutaka Nakata of Perfume and Capsule fame produces her

L'arc~en~ciel - Wild Flower

8 ) L’arc~en~Ciel - Butterfly

It was released early in the year and I might have been a little hard on it because of all the singles the album contained, but overtime I came to realize what a solid release Butterfly was. As a whole it’s one of Larku’s stronger and better albums.

alice nine - Hanagasumi

9) alice nine - 9 This was also released earlier in the year, but it’s still an awesome release. It shows how much the band has progressed. They’ve gone from a simple guitar, drums, bass and vocals setup to a.... Well they still use that same setup, except the level of musicianship has gone up by like tenfold. The guitars shred and execute challenging riffs and solos, the drums and bass have equally improved and so have Shou’s vocals. There’s more layers, harmonies and improved musical composition. 9 is the epitome of where the band is right now and easily outdid the overhyped Gemini.

Plastic Tree/くちづけ

10) Plastic Tree - Ink/Hide and Seek rebuild

Just like with ammonite, Ink was another strong release for the band. A good mix of shoegaze, rock and dreamy ethereal pop. It’s got everything that makes plastic tree so great. The same goes for the rebuild version of Hide and Seek.

11) 9Goats Black Out - Calling
The album is a masterpiece. Enough said.

Enslaved - Thoughts Like Hammers

12) Enslaved - RIITIIR
It seems that progressive metal might be the new future era for metal. Not even Norwegian Viking black is safe from it’s influence. And just like Axioma Ethica Odini, RIITIIR is another giant metal achievement for the band. It picks up where Axioma Ethica Odini left off and further pushes the progressive nature of their music. Not only does RIITIIR succeed while keeping the Viking and black metal aspects of the music, but I believe it’s also the longest Enslaved album ever. 2nd best metal album of the year.

Tamaryn - I'm Gone

13) Tamaryn - Tender New Signs.

Here’s an incredible duo from new zealand who are seriously underrated. Their debut was amazing work of shoegaze and dreampop and their follow up does not disappoint. It’s much more polished and focused, but the music is still as beautiful as it ever was, if not more. There’s so much fuzz, seas of distorted guitars, and warmth to get lost in. Tamaryn’s haunting vocals really keep the listener mesmerized and subdued. I was fortunate enough to see these guys live and they were amazing. I think they’re starting to get more attention, but they still deserves much more recognition than they are getting.

AKFG - All Right Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8tizuTbObs

14) Asian Kung Fu Generation - Landmark
I heard Lanmark would be the last album the band would put out, and haven’t been able to confirm this, but if it is, I would be okay with it because Landmark is an awesome album. I think this album is easily some of the bands best work and stands out from their discography. It still has an indie feel, the mainstream appeal and that AFG sound. It’s an all around good rock album. AKFG was one of the first J-rock bands I got into and I’m glad they‘ve continued to put out quality music.

Baroness - Take My Bones Away

15) Baroness - Yellow And Green

An amazing sludge metal band from Georgia. These guys are going to be huge, I know it. They have the sludge aspect of their music down, but yet again a progressive influence sneaks its way into the metal. Yellow And Green is two disc album of pure progressive sludge awesomeness and and a strong psychedelic influence. There are moments when I think I’m listening to a trippy prog Pink Floyd song. I’ve never even heard of a band getting close to sounding like Pink Floyd, but somehow these guys managed to do it. The band reminded me a bit of Mastodon at first, but they have their own epicness going on.

The Agonist - Panophobia

16) The Agonist - Prisoners

This band has come a long way since their debut. Prisoners is easily the best album they have put out and is the best metal album with female vocals I have heard all year. Other than describing them as metal, I think these guy have evolved enough to be able to categorize them as extreme metal. Their songs are brutal technical works, with odd scale riffs and voicings, crazy drumwork, classical influence and awesome vocals provide by Alissa. One second she can be a sweet angel, the next she can be a beast. She has both her cleans and death growls down. Prisoners is a solid album of furious metal with progressive and classical sprinklings and impressive female vox.

Revocation - Bound By Desire

17) Revocation - Teratogenesis

This isn’t actually an album, it’s an Ep, but it’s worth mentioning because I consider David Davidson to be the New Devin Towsend of this millennium except with much much more guitar shred skills. In 5 songs you get an addictive dose of technical death metal fused with thrash metal and classic rock

*AMENDEMENT*

Consider these albums I forgot to mention the first time around. If you’ve made it this far. Congrats, we’re almost at the end.

Austin Wintory - I Was Born For This

18) Austin Wintory - Journey Original Soundtrack

EVERYONE NEEDS TO LISTEN TO THIS ALBUM. Regardless if you’ve never played the game Journey. It’s an instrumental only album (except for 1 track), but it has some of the most gorgeous and emotional provoking songs you will ever hear. You’ll immediately understand how epic this album is from the first few seconds of it’s first song.. Throughout the album you’ll find violins, cellos, drums, flutes, harps - everything you could imagine in a orchestra plus middle-eastern and Asian instruments. The compositions are brilliant and the sound production is astounding. Everything sounds so real. There are grand atmospheric soundscapes , tense action runs with giant crescendos, ominous forebodings and songs that are just so beautiful they will bring tears to your eyes. :lolita_sad:

John 5 - Beat It (Michael Jackson cover)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1-SneAzkVM

19) John 5 - God Told Me To

Most people know John 5 for being a member of Marilyn Manson. In the music industry he’s established himself as one of the more sought after guitarists for his highly skilled and diverse guitar playing. On his second solo album, you get another taste of his amazing guitar skills. It’s an instrumental album of rock, metal and acoustic songs. John plays some sick rhythms, tasty guitar licks and blazes through insane solos. Every other song you have an acoustic track that shows crazy finger style picking, guitar slapping and tapping, or just warm and intimate acoustic passages. The album also contains a shredtastic cover of Michael Jackson’s Beat It. Best guitar album for the year (Sorry Jeff Loomis).

Converge - Sadness Comes Home

20) Converge - All We Love We Leave Behind

These guys are legends in the hardcore punk scene and they prove to everyone just why on Converge. It’s an album with fast paced crazy drumming, grinding schizophrenic guitar rhythms, blistering riffs and finally, in your face raw vocals. Somehow they manage to make that not only enjoyable, but accessible and offer up some serious musicianship. When your not being blasted by their noisy chaotic sound, they put forth some very brooding sections. It’s great to see this album also ended up on other peoples best of 2012 list.

The Birthday Massacre - The Long Way Home
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFy-GrFtQl8

21) The Birthday Massacre - Hide And Seek

After the amazing and uber clean release of Pins and Needles, the band continues with their clean production. The magical synths and fantasy lyrics create imaginative worlds and the album marks a return to the more atmospheric work of the band. It’s a blend of the bands polished electronic synth rock-pop-metal and the best of their moody atmospheric side. There are great throwback instances of Nothing and Nowhere or Violet for example.

Paul banks - Over My Shoulder

22) Paul Banks - Banks

On his sophomore album, Paul banks solidifies the fact that he’s capable of delivering quality original music of his own. It’s not the post punk people are familiar with from his work in Interpol, but his own brand of indie rock that muses with other rock subgenres. The clean guitars and drumming is fresh and original, there’s some skillful use of string sections, pianos, movie quotes and surprise instrumental tracks. The lyrics are well thought out and meaningful and there’s a good range of topics and moods the songs cover. Paul Banks, you are one awesome dude.

Zomboy - Vancouver Beatdown
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZb_UxGUbd4

23) Zomboy - The Dead Symphonic EP

My favorite dubstep artist releases another amazing album. If you like electronic music, dubstep or even if you don’t like dubstep, you need to check this out. Pick up Zomboy’s Game EP while you’re at it too. His work is incredible. There’s so much layers and stuff happening, it’s crazy. The Dead Symphonic Ep is a great continuation from Game Time. You still have a ton of ear candy happening, great dubstep beats and heavy rhythmic motifs, but always with underlying melodies. On this EP there’s lots of sick orchestrations provided by violins, cellos and the like. There’s even cool bass and guitar riffs. It’s a sick dubstep EP.

I See Stars - Endless Sky (ft. Danny Warsnop)

24) I See Stars - Digital Renegade

In recent years there’s been an explosion of rock and metal acts using synths and electronic music in their songs, and for this year, these guys had the best and most cohesive effort of that particular fusion I heard all year. Think of it as metalcore with electronic dance music and hints of dubstep. The mix of beastly growls, heavy drumming, guitar riffs and great electronic programming with catchy choruses are perfect. The transitions between the genres feels effortless and their are some great textures. It’s a super fun and enjoyable album with as much headbanging moments as their are danceable beats. Plus it features Danny Warsnop and Cassedee pope as vocal guests, which is an automatic win in my book.

My other picks for the year:

Art-School - BABY ACID BABY
Dazzle Vision - Shocking Loud Voice
Unite - Calling
The Kiddie - 5
Wang Wen - 0.7
Soundgarden - King Animal
Katatonia - Dead End Kings
The Offspring - Days Go By
the Killers - Battle Born
Lamb Of God - Resolution
Messugah - Koloss
Dethklok - Dethalbum III
Before the Dawn - Rise of the Phoenix
And so much more metal....

Full albums only? Well:

BUCK-TICK - 夢見る宇宙

THE KIDDIE - MA★PIECE

A (エース) - Tales for the Abyss

ユナイト - MEANiNG

Jo Kwon - I'm Da One

東方神起 - Catch Me/Humanoids

Alcest - Les Voyages De L'Âme

Lana Del Rey - Born to Die/Born to Die -The Paradise Edition-

Lindsey Stirling - Lindsey Stirling

That's it. Some of these I liked more than others but eh...hardly liked anything this year. Too unmotivated/unskilled to make a pretty post.

Here's a summary of what albums (and mini albums) I enjoyed, and their short descriptions. To somehow structure it, I'll go like this: I have chosen 10 releases, first my 5 favorite Japanese CDs this year, then my 5 favorite non-Japanese CDs (all these in alphabetical order).

JIGSAW'S FAVE J-MUSIC STUFFU 2012 DESU.

cali≠gari - 11

2rh7ocj.jpg

Why? standard cali≠gari catchy craziness in a streamlined modern coating

Crossfaith - ZION EP

2d1spq1.jpg

Why? perfecting their synth-powered metalcore style, plus it's a blast in a live setting

the god and death stars - tonight is the night

28wgtb4.png

Why? honest-sounding indie melancholy with just the right amount of grungyness

Vior gloire - Gloomy and wakeful night

106hj4o.jpg

Why? a young band with cool songs evoking old-school VK atmosphere? sign me up!

ZIZ - GIFT

2wp70oy.jpg

Why? a changing kaleidoscope of emotions and impressions, with a trademark Közi sound

Honorable mentions

BUCK-TICK - Yumemiru uchuu

Despair - NUMBERED CHILDREN

LAGITAGIDA - CartaMarina

NEGA - VANITAS

Psysalia Psysalis Psyche - #7

SHERBETS - STRIPE PANTHER

Signal - CHAIN

----------------------------------------------------------------

JIGSAW'S FAVE NON-J-MUSIC STUFFU 2012 DESU.

Cannibal Corpse - Torture

34od5qa.jpg

Why? an essence of catchy brutality, both in songwriting and production

Die Antwoord - Ten$ion

10xc752.jpg

Why? quirky and crazy fun, excellent party material

Marduk - Serpent Sermon

25f3y2f.jpg

Why? a rock-solid release showing the best qualities of the band in its current form

Meshuggah - Koloss

qpig68.jpg

Why? truly colossal, monumental metal, the way only Meshuggah can do it

Sin of God - Limbus

34hgzev.jpg

Why? venomous headbang-inducing death metal, a very powerful first full-length

Honorable mentions

Black Nail Cabaret - Emerald City

Cattle Decapitation - Monolith Of Inhumanity

Deftones - Koi no Yokan

Down - IV Part I - The Purple EP

Kill With Hate - Voices of Obliteration

Marilyn Manson - Born Villain

Nadir - Exitus

- JAWEYE - Binary Monolith [2012.01.17]

- BIGMAMA - Kimi Ga Mata Burausu No Botan O Todomeru Made [2012.01.25]

- ivory7 chord - Pentagram [2012.04.04]

- fifi - orange.ep [2012.04.08]

- Crossfaith - ZION [2012.06.20]

- BACKWARD REGION - INVICTUS [2012.07.04]

- FAT PROP - SHINE [2012.07.04]

- AIR SWELL - RIMFIRE [2012.08.02]

- Fear,and Loathing in Las Vegas - All That We Have Now [2012.08.08]

- Nothing's Carved In Stone - Silver Sun [2012.08.15]

- Silhouette from the Skylit - Arche [2012.10.03]

- START OF THE DAY - BATON [2012.10.10]

- MEANING - SHINE OUR JOURNEY [2012.10.24]

- THE NOVEMBERS - GIFT [2012.11.07]

- AO (ex. Raison d'etre)- Trigger of Life [2012.12.12]

J-Rock:

Versailles by Versailles

Justice by Matenrou Opera

Namonaki Mori no Yumegatari by D

Tales For the Abyss by A

Samurai Sessions Volume 1 by Miyavi

Shangri-La by MUCC

The Psalms and Lamentations by Rin

Emotional Karma by Mejibray

Creature by Deathgaze

American/English Rock:

New Horizons by Flyleaf

Push and Shove by No Doubt

Magic hour by Scissor Sisters

Tre (and Uno) by Green Day

Some Nights by fun.

J-Pop:

Girls' Generation II ~Girls & Peace~ by Girls' Generation

Japonesque by Koda Kumi

Square One by m-flo

Vivid by Crystal Kay

American/English Pop:

Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded; The Re-Up by Nicki Minaj

Trespassing by Adam Lambert

MDNA by Madonna

Warrior by Ke$ha

Kiss (and the Curiosity EP) by Carly Rae Jepsen

K-Pop:

Humanoids by TVXQ

Still Alive by Big Bang

Only One by BoA

"Koi no Yokan" by Deftones

"Infamous" by Motionless in White

"Seven Thunders Roar" by Stoned Jesus

"Lärmakas Naabrimees" by Chalice

"Justice" by Matenrou Opera

"Creature" by Deathgaze

"Vanitas" by Nega

Couldn´t think of more. This year has been terrible when I view it from the aspect of my favorite bands´s full-length releases. (Even though Deftones´s new album was a big thing, yet I was expecting more from them.)

(PS: If Dir en grey releases a new full-length I will post it in glittery text.)

So here is the elaborate version. I had to split it up in two parts as the initial post was too long, lol.

I assume from the title of this thread that only full-length albums are allowed and not mini-albums? Well if that is the case then I'll leave the mini-albums I enjoyed out of this. I'll try to elaborate a bit why I liked the releases I put here, mainly because I won't be making a list like the one Zess has made in the Staff Reviews thread. Unfortunately I didn't enjoy too many albums this year, but I'll highlight the ones I enjoyed most and put the rest underneath, like the way Pandabear put his list together as well. Videos are under the spoiler tag. Just like Jigsaw I'll post five Japanese and five non-Japanese releases. For today I'll post my five Japanese ones, the non-Japanese ones I'll post tomorrow :)

BUCK-TICK - 夢見る宇宙

fZ69vneu_Lw

I'd say "MY NIGGAS" but seeing as that might sound a bit racist I am going to go with "what else was there to expect". BUCK-TICK once again delivers with their 25th anniversary album, be it not as strong as their older albums. However, 夢見る宇宙 stands out in comparison to most releases this year and whether that is a good thing or not I can't really say, but what I can say is that this album needed a few listens for me to fully enjoy it. It wasn't really odd, since most BUCK-TICK albums usually have to grow on me, but when I first listened to it while being rather ill I simply couldn't enjoy it. Tracks that stand out on this album are all the single tracks (MISS TAKE -I'm not miss take- getting a special notice here because of it just being a beautiful song and probably one of my favourite BUCK-TICK tracks I have heard so far), 禁じられた遊び -ADULT CHILDREN- (which carries a special place in my heart for specific reasons), LADY SKELETON and INTER RAPTOR. I highly recommend giving this a try, as it is one of my top favourites of this year.

A - Tales for the Abyss

qEQ8m3r_0-w

"MY NIGGAS" part 2. A is a band I've liked ever since they released White Album and they have yet to release something that I don't like. Their first full-length was something I highly anticipated and it didn't disappoint in the least. I was convinced A was ready for a full-length, despite their short existence (unlike MEJIBRAY, which I thought completely wasn't ready yet for a full album), mainly because of the diverse sounds in their songs. Rookie Fiddler of course is A's gem, composing wise. A in my eyes are one of the few good newer bands in the scene with their own sound and ideas, and I am kind of disappointed they aren't getting much attention here. That's also the main reason why it's on this list. I don't have to put this for the people who know A, because they've listened to it and they think it's good/amazing. Yes you, still don't know who A is? Try this release and find yourself completely blown away. Tracks that deserve notice: Rhapsody in Black, Night of the Knights, Loveless, NUDE and Shangri-la. However, this album is best heard as a whole in my opinion.

And here's the second part of the Japanese releases!

THE KIDDIE - MA★PIECE

WVuSAbH81_k

THE KIDDIE was a band I always kind of neglected. They were hit/miss for me, the miss more apparent than the hit. However, the singles leading to this album got me interested to try it, and the PV track also greatly grew on me after a few listens. The full album didn't disappoint either. This album blows many pop-rock VK bands out of the water by how catchy and fun it is but still has enough diversity for it to not bore you. Tracks that stand out on this release are the title track, Mr. FIREBIRD, サマードリーム, Nutty Nasty, Destination, 美しきREDRUM and アダルト. I prefer this one over their other album released this year (THE 5 -FIVE-), so if you're thinking of giving THE KIDDIE a try, try this album.

Alice Nine - "9"

dkx64SkmP6Q

Alice Nine releases an album not even a year after their masterpiece GEMINI, which had me slightly worried seeing as the A-sides of the singles they released were a bit meh (except for BLUE FLAME) but the B-sides were actually a lot of fun. In the end, there was hardly anything to worry about. Alice Nine improved a lot in the past three years and even releases that are released a bit hastily can still sound good with their straightforward sound. All members show improvement on each record and even though it isn't the strongest one composition-wise (which Saga can't be blamed for seeing as the release span was rather short) it still is a very good and enjoyable album. Heavenly Tale, The Arc, BLUE FLAME and Apocalypse [it's not the end] are among my favourites.

摩天楼オペラ - Justice

72RbMHylx2M

Haters are going to hate so hard on this because hardly anyone liked this release. I have long said I don't like it either, but out of curiosity I listened to it a few weeks back and fuck you guys, I like it. 摩天楼オペラ overdoes the keyboard, yes. They overdo their vibrato, true. The second half of the album is inferior to the first half, that I admit, but overall I find Justice an agreeable first major album and I like it a lot better than I like Anomie. The production for one is much better, the songs are more diverse. The experimentation on some songs didn't always end too well and the title track doesn't really get me, but for the rest I am kind of pleased with this. I am also quite looking forward to their next album in March, which I think might just be better than Justice as it will have the things that were wrong with Justice fixed. I think even though it sounds messy and too much like a "trying to be epic"-record it still is highly enjoyable. Favourites are Helios, 落とし穴の底はこんな世界, 濡らした唇でキスをして, IMPERIAL RIOT and Mermaid.

Part 2 with non-Japanese releases will follow soon! I'll try to make it shorter lol.

Haven't realy listened to any "western music" this year besides a few albums. In no particular order:

My First Story - MY FIRST STORY

coldrain - THROUGH CLARITY

SPYAIR - Just Do It

MUCC - Shangri-La

Monkey Majik - Somewhere Out There

UVERworld - THE ONE

MAN WITH A MISSION -MASH UP THE WORLD

UNLIMITS - NeON

SiM - LiFE and DEATH

f(x) - Electric Shock

the GazettE - DIVISION

ROOKiEZ is PUNK'D - From Dusk Till Dawn

FACT - burundanga

In alphabetical order.

My picks are highlighted in bold.

Between the Buried and Me - The Parallax II

Dada Life - The Rules of Dada

Deadmau5 - Album Title Goes Here

D.I.D. - Providentia

EAT YOU ALIVE - Catedral EP

FACT - burundanga

Far East Movement - Dirty Bass

Fear, and Loathing in Las Vegas - All That We Have Now

Feed Me - Feed Me's Escape From Electric Mountain EP

the GazettE - Division

Hyper Crush - Night Wave

Karmin - Hello

Ke$ha - Warrior

Klaypex - Ready to Go

Knife Party - Rage Valley EP

Krewella - Play Hard EP

Lana Del Rey - Born to Die (+The Paradise Edition)

m-flo - Square One

MUCC - Shangri-La

Muse - The 2nd Law

Nicki Minaj - Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded

-OZ- - Crunk EP

Scooter - Music for a Big Night Out

Senses Fail - Follow Your Bliss

Seven Lions - Days to Come EP

Shirobon - 22:22

Zedd - Clarity

Zomboy - The Dead Symphonic EP

lots of disappointing releases in music this year, especially in visual kei, but also
some new good artist discoveries.

my favorite albums of 2012

Every Time I Die - Ex Lives #1
Deftones - Koi No Yokan
Sigh - In Somniphobia
Cocklobin - Iris
Jessie Ware - Devotion
Crystal Castles - (III)
Frank Ocean - Channel Orange
Tokyo Jihen - color bars

Serj Tankian - Harakiri

Hmmm, my favourite albums of 2012...

ムック - シャングリラ

the GazettE - Division

ナノ - nanoir

Yeah, it was very hard to satisfy me this year ^.^;

bad year for me.

Crystal Castles (III)

they always deliver.

少女時代 – GIRLS' GENERATION II ~Girls & Peace~

i dont like japanese kpop releases , but these one is really good.

Deichkind – Befehl von ganz unten

german band. awesome release.

i dont particualy loved another full album this year, although there were some other good ones.

hm, I would pick:

9GBO - Calling

*didn't like it at the 1st listen, but when it comes to them, I NEVER like their CDs from the beginning, and then, after 10+ listens I fall in love. after 1st listen I thought 'damn, that's boring, maybe I'm gonna cancel my preorder?' but then listened to it for a few more times and now I'm beginning to be addicted to it, Panta rhei is simply one of the most beautiful songs I've heard so far <3

D - Namonaki Mori no Yumegatari

*loved it after listening to it for the first time and I still think it's an amazing mini-album. after a bit disappointing previous singles they gave us something fresh and inspiring. I simply love the forest theme, they also did a great job with using some motives from non-japanese culture.

Suicide Ali - Tainted Gallery

*similar to D, the disappointed me a bit with pre-album singles. and when I almost lost my hopes, they released something this good : D that CD is certainly very interesting, full of emotions and re-recordings are nicely done, even the older songs sound kinda new there.

dimmdivision. - A Day in PanoraMagic

*one of the most delicate, beautiful minis ever to me :) cannot even properly describe it, you are just in an entirely different world while listening to it.

cocklobin - Iris

*has some beautiful tracks like Ikaros, powerful ones like Allay or Under the Rose and interesting compositions like Iris. overally a solid, good release. maybe not mind-blowing but definitely one of my favs :)

Matenrou Opera - Justice

*like somebody said before, maybe not other people's fav but I like it very much! just like Iris, a solid and good one, with some epic tracks like Helios and very optimistic tracks like 21mg for example ^^

Ok, I'll put here my fav albums of this year, I think they are all japanese excepting one, so I'll put that one at the end of the list:

I numbered all of them but the only ones that are in order are the first 2, I can't come up with an order for all the others since they are all awesome.

1) UNiTE. - MEANiNG

DCCL-65.jpg

To me this was the album of the year, it's just so perfect in every sense with really amazing songs. UNiTE. keep rocking with their style and always deliver. To me they are an awesome band, maybe the best VK band nowadays. Some of my favorites were: L for U, Meaning, 約束, AIVIE, アポカリプティックサウンド, 失望エミュレイター, クオリア and Cocky-discuS. But they are all great, seriously.

2) DOG inThePWO - 101

81lsokpsskL._AA1500_.jpg

Ok, this album completely blew me. I was really yearning to hear this album since I had to wait like a few months to be able to buy it, and it certainly didn't dissapoint, it really got me from beggining to end. Favorites: STRoooONG, Fun!Fun!Tomorrow!!, TOKIMEKIトレイン, SPEED TONIGHT, ハルカ彼方へ, サクラ通り, チューリップ中毒 and ミラクルGO!

3) the GazettE - DIVISION

e9462760e950c7e864c712d0e8f4814a.jpg

Well, I really love this album. They got more into electronic stuff and I liked how it turned out. It was a big improving since TOXIC (which I also loved). Overall I prefer the second disc, but both are really great. Favorites: REQUIRED MALFUNCTION, ATTITUDE, DERANGEMENT, DRIPPING INSANITY, 歪, 影踏み and 余韻.

4) DaizyStripper - AIR

13451-air-9rrx.jpg

DaizyStripper. Oh God they're awesome, and so is this album. I really liked it because it has like a lot of kinds of songs, from pop-rock to a little heavier stuff, some rapping and some ballady songs too. I have to point out Yuu giri's voice, it's just awesome. My favorites were: Endless Song, 切望のフリージア (I liked the singel version better though), Time∞Killer, The Day After, KISS YOU, SHINE and Bremen. I stopped putting songs because the album has 10 and I'd end up putting them all lol.

5) Fear, and Loathing in Las Vegas - All that We Have Now

2ndfull-thumb.jpg

These guys are great, and the album didn't let me down. It was really great, but I have something to say about the promotion they did for it. They uploaded like 3 PVs for this album, and those songs ended up being among the better of the album, so when I first listened to it I felt like it wasn't that great because I had already listened to the PV songs a lot of times. But besides that the album is just awesome. My favorites were: In the End, the Choice is All Yours; Crossover; Scream Hard as You Can; Acceleration; Just Awake and Ley-Line.

6) THE KIDDIE - MA★PIECE

422493_10150636337506842_266500756841_9309946_1218665877_n.jpeg

I really like THE KIDDIE, and since the previous singles were great I was looking forward to this. And it didn't disappoint. They are catchy, fun, happy and really great. This album really worths a listen. My favorites were: 来世の女神, サマードリーム, mr.FIREBIRD, 美しきREDRUM, Sun'z up, MA★PIECE and Nutty Nasty.

7) Aqua Timez - because you are you

CfEVK.jpg

Aqua Timez are a great band. I love the album. They are really catchy and I love how the singer "half-rapped" (lol) vocals. Sometimes they can be harder, sometimes more poppy-ish. But anyways they are awesome. My favorites were: 君となら, オーロラの降る夜, because you are you, 輪になって, MASK, good sleep and 鉛色のフィクション.

8) REALies - LEVEL.

UCCD-323A.jpg

This album was full of single songs, but since they were great I don't give a fuck xDDD This album kicks off with the first song and it's awesome until the end. I really like Rayka's voice and he raps very well. Awesome album. My favorites were: As''ever, Lv., 衝動, NEXT⇒, CHANGE! and NuAGE.

9) DEATHGAZE - CREATURE

48f9cef15c50433c1b4cd9f828402ae7.jpg

DEATHGAZE are a really great band. I love their sound and Ai's vocals and growls. Everybody says that they are repetitive or whatever. I don't see it that way and I think this is one of their best works and everybody should try it. My favorites were: CREATURE, BRAND NEW KISS, RING THE DEATH KNELL, USELESS SUN, VICE, SILENCE, SUICIDE DANCE and THE END.

10) Vita Imana - uluh

vita-imana-uluh-medi.jpg

Vita Imana are a Spanish Metal band which is really awesome. I think they are the only Spanish band I'd spent money for. They are really aggressive, with good vocals and lyrics. The percussion gives them a special taste. Plus, they are AWESOME live. My favorites were: Un Nuevo Sol, Romper con Todo, Animal, Corpus, Quizás no Sea Nadie and uluh.

Some other albums worth mentioning that didn't make it to the list:

A - Tales for the Abyss

Plastic Tree - インク

THE KIDDIE - THE 5 -FIVE-

UVERworld - THE ONE

D.I.D. - Providentia

FACT - burundanga

My top 10:

calling.jpg

9GOATS BLACK OUT - CALLING

It's sad to say goodbye to one of the most creative and beautiful bands the VK scene has had, but CALLING doesn't disappoint.

highlight: Panta rhei

elementaalchemica.jpg

A - Elementa Alchemica

A carries the visual-prog banner forward, showing that ambitious, mature music is still possible in the scene after all.

lesvoyagesdelame.jpg

Alcest - Les Voyages de L'Âme

More otherworldly, black metal-infused shoegaze from Neige. Alcest is really in a class of its own.

highlight: Faiseurs de mondes

answer.jpg

Ayabie - Answer

The best pop-rock album I've heard in a long, long time.

highlight: Paradise Paradox

777cosmosophy.jpg

Blut aus Nord - 777 - Cosmosophy

The conclusion of BaN's sprawling trilogy, Cosmosophy is dreamy, spacious, and unsettling.

phantoms.jpg

Creature Creature - Phantoms

Morrie's still got it.

highlight: 楽園へ

hellblau.jpg

Goatbed - HELLBLAU

Goatbed's most mature release, I think, and one of their most interesting - like a David Sylvian solo album to their earlier work's Japan.

highlight: Paramidia+

losticonsprice.jpg

Liphlich - Lost Icon's Price

Cabaret-kei carries on.

highlight: フェデリコ9

justice.jpg

摩天楼オペラ - Justice

Pompous and overblown. VK needs more of it.

highlight: 落とし穴の底はこんな世界

gift.jpg

ZIZ - GIFT

Cyberpunk dance party, anyone?

highlight: Kosmostill

Going to give my list of the good albums that came out this year that I loved and I'll try to post a link of my favorite song but if I can't find it, I'll just list it.

1) A(ACE)- Tales for the Abyss

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ5j7zdE1phlwa-9swbSTSkUe1m6e5AcaRhHuMNjJ0NAGffTXLrmBGZbL9XoQ

iGsD7-QS1gA

Truly amazing band with some amazing compositional work. This album really starts off with every single they have released and then gets into their new stuff. However, I'm not complaining since these guys can't put out anything bad.

2) Alice Nine- 「9」

alicenine.+-+9+%5BAlbum%5D.jpg

emfub0GiQ04

Alice Nine have usually been your standard Japanese rock band (not a bad thing here), but when they release albums, it's usually a pretty damn awesome CD. GEMINI was absolutely astounding with some beautiful songs and the underlying theme throughout the whole album plus, the 12 minute trilogy song. However, 9 is them stepping away from their concepts and just flat out rocking out.

3)Daizystripper- AIR

13451-air-9rrx.jpg

5RvoqMbU2qE

Seriously, when has Daizystripper ever put out a single bad release? Even KISS ME which was the cheesiest, lovey dovey pop song they have released was good to me. This album keeps my spirits up and my faith in them has never faltered. This album, the 5th one in a span of 2 years, is really good and you should give them a try

Favorite song: Endless song and Aquarium

4) D.I.D- Providentia.

album_D.I.D._Providentia%201st%20press%20limited%20edition_00.jpg

9JiwMVtZZyI

Para:noir was my heavy electronic love, now D.I.D is in the game. This was one hell of an eargasmic album full of some fast riffs, chugging, heavy breakdowns, and awesome guitar solos. Akane's voice is still autotuned or whatever but Akane and the guy from Fear, and Loathing in Las Vegas are the only ones whom I have no problem hearing that.

5) The GazettE- DIVISION

e9462760e950c7e864c712d0e8f4814a.jpg

CJ82aNgUpiI

Well, TOXIC was a good album but honestly, it wasn't their best. It's probably my least favorite of my album in my standards... in everyone else's standards that's a good album haha. DIVISION was a perfected TOXIC and it blew me away.

6) DEAD END- Dream Demon Analyzer

61wkoQeOdYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

7pk3Z6JLht0

rmf3G0IKLiU

These guys have been around since what, the late 80's? Yet, they are still absolutely amazing. The vocals are truly powerful, the guitar work is simply to die for, and the bassist has some really amazing basslines. You should all check them out and their recent singles are truly awesome

Favorite songs: SSS and Angel (2nd video above)

7) MUSE- The 2nd Law

homepage_large.7c30b60e.jpg

Ek0SgwWmF9w

Forgive my bluntness here, but MUSE is without a dubbed as the "best rock band worldwide" and I have to agree 100% with this. I have so many favorite bands but these guys put out simply the most amazing stuff! Matt's vocals are truly out of this world hitting amazing falsettos with a truly amazing, emotional voice, his guitar work is insanely creative and their electronic sounds are mind blowing.

8) Galneryus- Angel of Salvation

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZKOQ3O3Lsm7yjbXlbTIdhaxMvXCmUsIcEfjYCHyoc0RRepsatJxF-KsMEvA

oTCk2tD-IiY

Nothing needs to be said beside, if you don't know them, you are missing out on truly amazing music.

9) THE KIDDIE- The [5]

THE+KIDDIE+New+Look.jpg

1_K4KUFDusw

THE KIDDIE did really amazing with this album, not one song disappoints and it even sounds like they really are following in the footsteps of a more mature band with a slightly heavier sound while maintaining their slightly poppy sound :)

10) UNDIVIDE- UNDIVIDE

UNDIVIDE-450x403.png

tsktV3ArjNI

Leda's new band after DELUHI. Was waiting for something new and good to come of him and I get something completely better than what I expected. Kihiro is still some vocals that I have to get used to, but, damn their music just pumps me the f*** up!

11) Matenrou Opera- JUSTICE

KICS-1749.jpg

WxCie8nujj8

Their first major album and it was a really good one at that. There was much worry as to whether or not it was going to be good even though the singles, Helios/ Otoshiana no Soko ha konna sekai, were good indication of how the album would turn out. In the end, just another awesome Matenrou Opera album with their great sound. Definitely check it out, especially so you can compare it to their new album in the works due sometime in early 2013, or so I read on Ayame and Sono's twitter.

12) UNiTE- Meaning

DCCL-65.jpg

VM_C_vEq6a0

UNiTE was a band I had no interest with when they were Canzel and at the beginning of UNiTE, but after hearing Yakusoku, I was so pulled in by these guys, I tried out their first album and fell in love with Epilogue. Every single they released after was just amazing. My favorite song being the 2nd track on their Yakusoku single. This album was just the what I needed to secure my love for them.

Favorite song: It was hard to choose but it has to be Cinema Verite, Meaning, Ao to Shiro no kotoba, and life time relation

And finally:

13) 9GOATS BLACK OUT- Calling

calling.jpg

Ky1X41elsMs

This is truly the saddest disbandment that I have encountered in my life...wait, not true, DELUHI was...nevertheless, VK suffers a massive blow with the departure of this band. They are truly musical geniuses. This album was their final gift to the world, 6 days before Christmas, and it's a wonderful one. Panta Rhei is the highlight of this album. Simply beautiful, it is the epitome of the sound that 9GOATS BLACK OUT gave us. Definitely check this album out, and if you haven't heard these guys, check them out.

Favorites: You, Panta Rhei

I'm amazed that from the posts I have seen before mine, I haven't seen Galneryus and UNDIVIDE on here xD

I just wanted to say that everyone that has posted in this thread is awesome - I love reading these!

^_____________________________________________^

My favorite albums of 2012:

- MEJIBRAY - Emotional【KARMA】, after it has been released, I'm still listening to this album everyday, so catchy. :3 Best song on that album: Anemone, Sabbat, KILLING ME, Wrath of God~

- Diaura - GENESIS, amazing album! especially the song LOST NOVEMBER is my favorite of this whole album!

- A - Tales for the Abyss, amazing tracks, love the melodies and it gives me a good mood as well :3

Plus I love the cover design, so beautiful ♥ v ♥ )

- Anli Pollicino - TRANCEFORMER, all my favorite tracks were in their new album including 2 new songs :P For example: Game of Love is very catchy!

- Aoi & Ryohei - 情景ならびに喉、指先。, first album by them, a pretty good album! Love Aoi's vocals ;3

- UNiTE - MEANiNG, amazing full-album! Some songs are very catchy and some are a bit heavy as well. ^^

If I come up with some other albums, I just add it to my list.. for now I can't remember if there was any other album that I liked very much~ :P

I see lots of awesome stuff in people lists. Definitely going to be checking out some of the albums that have been mentioned. Especially on the Japanese side. I feel I might have been a little neglectful since I was busy with other amazing releases and was expecting a ton of crappy VK albums.

Added some more stuff to my list in my original post too. They were albums I forget, but that were way too awesome not to mention. I probably should of split my list into two posts since it turned out long and now I feel people will just skip over it. Hope that’s not the case.

burundanga by FACT - Is it possible not to love FACT? Even though it came out in January, I've been blasting it the whole year. It's not as varied as their self-titled or as tight as In the Blink of the Eye, but in a way it's the most energetic release yet, not to mention the epic gang vocals that has become their definite trademark. Simply love it! Also, their lyrics have become better after recruiting the English guy to the band. :P I was really disappointed about the fact that by the time I had arrived to US, they're US tour had already ended. Maybe, maybe they will somehow end up in US again next year. :wink:

A Flash Flood of Colour by Enter Shikari - Just like with FACT, I'm so in love with these guys that it wasn't surprising at all that this January release become instantly my favourite. It is their heaviest as well as softest album at the same time, from the hard-hitting Arguing with Thermometers and Gandhi Mate, Gandhi to terrifyingly beautiful Stalemate and Constellations. Not to mention the fact that this is probably the only artist who has influenced my view on the actual world a bit, and I respect them not only as musicians, but as people. Seriously, look these guys up. Not to mention they pretty much started the whole "posthardcore/metalcore (not really metalcore, but still) with synth" genre, while doing it better than most of the subsequent bandwagon jumpers and leaving (at least that particular synth sound) before it became the "so kewl" thing. So what genre of music do they play? Simple: Enter Shikari.

INFERIORITY COMPLEX by lynch. - Not anything revolutionary and mostly a continuation of their last year's sound, but even as a quickie release it's tight and sweet.

All That We Have Now by Fear, and Loathing in Las Vegas - I've been following these guys since their early demo days and was super pumped for this album. It's surprisingly experimental and quite different from the more traditional dance-sound of their previous album, and probably features some of their heaviest sections ever. All in all, it's super-nuts, but that's Fear, and Loathing in Las Vegas for you. I hope they're still active in two years so I can finally see them live.

ZION by Crossfaith - I really like the direction they've taken and after the rather bland first album, they've improved noticeably and this little EP is nicely rounded compact version of their sound. They're probably the most Western-sounding metalcore act in Japan I know, but that isn't bad at all. Also, Leviathan is massive. I hope they come to US next year as they've been secretly hinting.

9 by Alice Nine - Doesn't come off as strong after the amazing GEMINI, but it's still a solid album by those guys. They're probably the only PSC artist I remotely like at this point, so yeah.

Atlas by Parkway Drive - I haven't had the chance to listen to this as much, but sounds like a winner. They've continued to progress (mostly in terms of lyrics, abandoning the rather generic metalcore romance with more contemplative and even *gasp* environmental subject matter) and have become more metal and less core, which I think is a positive sign. Thumbs up! Also, I'm confident they'll tour US next year.

That's pretty much it. However, most of the above-mentioned bands are my dear favourites, so quality-wise this year definitely did not disappoint. Actually I'm a bit sad knowing that 2013 probably won't be as exciting release-wise, but hopefully it means I'll have the chance to see them live.

Yeah, visual kei is pretty much dead to me at this point.

JAPANESE MUSIC
ventla: "011 BORN, BOOKMARK AND THEN DIE" album
ventlabornbookmarkandthendie_zps9768159a
Samples:
An almost fully-instrumental album of pure retro style synth pop bliss. ventla is a pure genius and the fact that he released 10 or 11 just this year (all awesome and free, uploaded by ventla himself!) is nothing short of amazing. The 11th album stands out just a bit above the rest though, imo. The soundtrack to my summer 2012. Please, please give this guy a try. How can you not love this sound?

ユナイト (UNiTE): "MEANiNG" album
UNiTE-MEANiNGlook.pngunitemeaning_zpsf21bf212.jpg
Sample:

///

My personal favorite "visual kei" release of the year. Synth-tinged pop-rock with touches of heaviness and guitar technicality, topped with great soaring vocals. I love UNiTE, which probably comes as no surprise. I'm still working on an in-depth review for the album to post, but expect a very favorable score!

踊ってばかりの国 (odotte bakari no kuni): "FLOWER" mini-album
odottebnk.jpgodottebakarinokuni-FLOWER.jpg
Samples:
Psychedelic, folky indie-pop goodness. I always appreciated the band's music, but the singer's warbly, high-pitchedness needed some work on previous albums. He definitely improved vastly on this release and the entire band sounds better as a result! One user here said their stuff was reminiscent of some of Full's projects!

DIMMDIVISION.: “A Day In The PanoramaMagic.” mini-album
dimmdivision_zps53a24d7e.png
God sample:
One of the most underrated releases this year, so I love “kuroitorikago” for mentioning them! DIMMDIVISION. has a wonderful dense, shoegazey "nagoya kei" sound. For how great this band sounds and the number of connections they have with other successful indie bands (the studs, the god and death stars, Moran, etc), I'm surprised more people aren't all over their nuts. As well they should be! Looking forward to their new single in January!

イツエ (itsue): "いくつもの絵" mini-album
itsue_zps2581f3b9.jpgitsueikutsumono_zpscc13c42a.jpg
Sample:
イツエ is one of my favorite new discoveries this year. Beatiful, melancholic post-rocky alternative stuff with damn-near perfect female vocals. Step the fuck over, me-al art.

八十八ヶ所巡礼 (88 kasyo junrei): "○△□ (maru sankaku shikaku)" album
88kasyjunrei_zps7b314167.jpg88kasyojunrei-marusankakushikaku.jpg
Sample:

Crazy, technical guitar riffs and matching freaky vocals to boot. This band has done a great job of forging a very unique sound and they just seem to get better with each release.

Honorable Mentions:
Vior Gloire: "Gloomy and wakeful night" debut album
viorgloire_zpsc39e4270.jpgviorgloiregloomyandwakefulnight_zpseccf9
Sample:

Terrible cover art, but a very interesting release, especially from Under Code whom I've never particularly cared about. As Jigsaw said, this band manages to capture some of that mysterious oldsk00l sound. A very solid album!

ICHIGO ICHIE: "毒苺" soundtrack
ichigoichieband_zpsc0239060.jpgichigoichie_zpsecf944f9.jpg
Sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS12aauzMQE
Composed by Goddess Shiina Ringo, apparently the score to a contemporary play called "Egg." Embodies a ton of different sounds, VERY well. One song "別れ" is performed in 3 different versions: 40's jazz, 60's girl-group pop, and 2000's Perfume-esque J-POP. I only wish there were an 80's Jun Togawa idol pop version as well!

己龍 (Kiryu): "朱花艶閃" album
kiryu_zps8a15d9ec.jpgshukaensen_zps122fbe1c.jpg
Sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlEQahsmgxQ
Another VK band that I really respect in these dire times. They've created a very signature sound through Mahiro's PsyChaotic vocals and the frantic, crazy guitar riffs. The most consistent and my personal favorite of their 3 albums.

THE NOVEMBERS: "GIFT" EP
thenovembers_zpsf58b634a.jpgthenovembersgift_zps3737812a.jpg
Samples:
///

So I always assumed THE NOVEMBERS were gonna be another fairly standard indie band, but when this album was shared to me, I was PLEASANTLY proven wrong. They have a beautiful, grandiose take on post-rocky indie stuff, adding horns and other great instrumentation. Plus, as much as I love the “jangly” guitar pop that you’ll see in my non-Japanese list, THE NOVEMBERS’ “Reunion with Marr” (the second sample song) is one of my favorite songs this year that utilizes this style. I’m definitely keeping an eye on these guys now.

Jesse Ruins: "Dream Analysis" EP
jesseruins_zps592fd2f7.jpgjesseruinsdreamanalysis_zps7b2e4883.jpg
Sample:

One of my favorite go-to "background music" bands of the year. That may sound a bit insulting, but I get easily distracted when trying to study or read, so this band is the perfect dreamy, electronic soundtrack to my study sessions. However, they are just as pleasant to listen to as “foreground music” too, haha.

Other releases I still need to check out (or need to listen to more thoroughly):
THE KIDDIE: THE 5 -FIVE-
D: 名もなき森の夢語り
A: Elementa Alchemica
pan-d-ra: Elpis Cube
神聖かまってちゃん (shinsei kamattechan): 楽しいね
among others...

Non-Japanese Music

Margot & the Nuclear So and So’s: "Rot Gut, Domestic" album
ImageImage
Sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mZqXx4CMfM
This is a great band that used to do baroque pop with cello, horns and tons of band members. On the third album, they went for a much rawer, fuzzier guitar sound. This 4th album (and my 2nd favorite album of theirs sees them mixing the raw sound with some of their older sensibilities. PS: Richard Edwards' voice is beautiful.

Belaire: "Resonating Symphony" album
ImageImage
Sample:
Belaire is an old favorite from my high school days. I honestly thought they disappeared, but after 5 years of silence, they released a new album and it's awesome! Less bouncy synth pop and more dreamy guitar lines.

Likes Lions: "First the Head, Then the Tale" EP

I found out about these guys randomly, when I saw "spam" shouts on last.fm. The band claimed they sounded similar to bands like Tubelord and Minus the Bear and linked to their bandcamp page, where you can download their releases for free. I tried them out and surprisingly, their math-rocky sound is quite good! Fantastic even! I'm looking forward to more from these guys.

Weird Dreams: "Choreography" debut album
ImageImage
Sample:
Weird Dreams is a fairly new British indie pop band. Some have dinged them for having a "derivative" sound but I think despite their young age, I can see them quickly becoming one of my favorite indie pop bands. Their sound (which is self-produced) is so polished and their vocalist has the perfect bubblegum pop voice, reminiscent of Of Montreal's Kevin Barnes. Plus, despite all the catchy hooks in their music, they do throw a few surprises in that take you in a different direction.

Memoryhouse: "The Slideshow Effect" debut album

Memoryhouse is a new discovery and they are excellent melancholic dreamy indie stuff. I've noticed that some people dislike this album because the production does not match the layered "dream pop" sound of their first EP. In my opinion though, this album is the perfect mix of dream pop tendencies and something like the band Camera Obscura whom I also love!

TOPS: "Tender Opposites" debut album

TOPS is a Canadian band with obvious 80's influences, but they also have this mysterious quality to them. I don't know if it's the wispy synthwork that coats their tight guitar sound, or Jane Penny's amateurish, yet really endearing vocals. I say they have "obvious" 80's influences and yet, I have trouble saying exactly which band they sound like. I think that works in their favor. I'm definitely keeping an eye on TOPS.

Honorable Mentions:
Papa Topo: "Rotación Y Traslación" 10" EP
ImageImage
Samples:
Papa Topo are a Mallorcan group that used to play stupidly catchy "tontipop". After a few singles, they tried their hand with an EP and this time, they're experimenting with a more mature sound, with great orchestral arrangements. Their lyrics still have silly moments, such as lamenting life as a robot without any feelings, or sneaking to the back of a movie theater to have sex. While they usually sing in Spanish, they also sing in Mallorcan (which I think is like Catalan?) on one track. I hope they continue with the richer sound on this EP, because I'm loving it.

Boy Friend: "Egyptian Wrinkle" debut album
ImageImage
Samples:
Boy Friend makes electronic based dream-tacular pop. Their songs are simple, slow, and haunting. Some of their stuff can be a bit "samey," which is probably why they didn't make it into the top tier, but still, I really love their sound.

Kimbra: "Vows (US version)" album
ImageImage
Samples: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFKCs25TYy0 ///

Kimbra technically released Vows in 2011 in here native New Zealand. It was a great album! Now in 2012, she re-released her album for the US and other regions. Rather than just an extra bonus track or something, she restructured the entire album, so Vows (US version) is almost like album 1.5. Some tracks have been removed, and 6 or so new tracks have been added throughout, further expanding her sound. Anyway, I think Kimbra has a really "big" ambitious style, not unlike Janelle Monae. I thought she would explode with popularity after being featured in that Gotye song, but it hasn't really seemed to happen yet.

Violens: "True" album
ImageImage
Samples: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_NK9ejzQJ4 ///

Violens is actually an American band, despite a sound that (to me at least) just oozes "British." Great guitar work (some parts "jangly," haha) and a wide array of solid influences. The only reason this album didn't make the top cut is because the middle of the album loses just a little momentum for me.

Other releases I still need to check out (or need to listen to more thoroughly):
Tame Impala: Lonerism
Grimes: Visions
Krallice: Years Past Matter
Of Monsters and Men: My Head is an Animal
Solange: True EP
Lianne La Havas: Is Your Love Big Enough?
Wintersun: Time
among others...

I haven't finished looking through everyone's lists yet, but I can't wait to find more great stuff from 2012!

My favorite albums/minis/singles of 2012 (order is totally random):

1. D - Namonaki Mori No Yumegatari

2. Korpiklaani - Manala

3. Sabaton - Carolus Rex

4. Exist Trace - Virgin

5. Kaya - Salome (after some long time XD)

6. Moi Dix Mois - Reprise

I haven't more right now. If I have something more, I'll tell

Sign in to follow this