Ito

Connecticut Shooting

And really, naming the killer is also backfiring

random newssite: "It's Ryan Lanza! Here's his picture I found on Facebook"

FB RyanLanza: "I'm not the killer, I'm at work!!!"

another newssite, same photo: "Is this Ryan Lanza,the CT killer?"

FB RyanLanza: "FUCK YOU! I'm not the killer, I'm riding the bus right now!!!"

Another Ryan Lanza on twitter: "WTF, why am I trending all of a sudden?"

random newssite: "The shooter ISN'T Ryan Lanza, but his brother Adam" (and still posts the FB Ryan Lanza's picture on their site!)

Yeah, it's horrible what's happening over there, but I hate how the press is blaming the wrong guy...

I also read that the first link with videogames is already made as he liked some videogames... (on Fox or something, read it on some forum)

I also heard he liked some musicgenres and he watched some televisionshows... From close source I also heard he liked to drink Pepsi cola...

WTF :o

Facebook Ryan Lanza did turn out to be the older brother of the guy that did the shooting using his ID...

I am so done with this shit

It's a tragedy, a horrific crime, nothing less and nothing more and I wish people would leave it at that.

Why would anyone want to know what games the perpetrator liked to play?

Releasing the name like that is bound to lead to confusion and misinterpretation. It's also very disrespecting to his family, whom I can only assume wants to be left in peace.

If this wasn't horrifying enough, there was a similar incident in china today. Someone broke into an elementary school and injured 20 children. It's very hard to get any info on this at all so I'm not sure if anyone died. But for this to happen on the same day is just too awful.

and inb4 the republican right wing will wuss "now is not the time to talk about gun-laws"

well hell fuckin yes right now is exactly the fuckin right time to talk about those fuckin guns dammit, when did you think it was?

yes of course that's only treating the tool instead of the fool (sorry, just using the terms that the rightwing used) but fuckit, if those "fools" would run around with a swiss army knife they would be a hell lot less efficient/not even start at all...

edit: post below... faith in humanity=lost

and inb4 the republican right wing will wuss "now is not the time to talk about gun-laws"

well hell fuckin yes right now is exactly the fuckin right time to talk about those fuckin guns dammit, when did you think it was?

yes of course that's only treating the tool instead of the fool (sorry, just using the terms that the rightwing used) but fuckit, if those "fools" would run around with a swiss army knife they would be a hell lot less efficient/not even start at all...

I keep on seeing people say this, but I honestly I have not seen one person saying claiming that "This isn't the right time." Perhaps I am not looking in the right place.

This statement also means that you do want to talk about. So lets go ahead and discuss it (just to be clear, I am not trying to be combative here or anything. This is a good time to discuss it, so I want to have that discussion).

So I think this is the topic that people are asking to discuss: What gun control laws would have prevented this situation? Or what laws would have lessened the chances of this happen? I am having trouble seeing what would help.

We can't ban guns. At least not in the US. The 2nd amendment guarantees us this right. I mean this can be argued as to what exactly this means. Pen and Teller did an awesome segment on this and I agree with them. Long story short it is the right of the people to own guns.

Here's the next problem. We need laws that can be enforceable...I can think of of some things that would potential work but they would be too costly or too complex or people just wouldn't follow.

I don't think the answer is making guns harder to obtain. I think we need to keep them out of the wrong hands. How do we do this? Background checks need to be smarter. Perhaps a test of mental stability needs to be included? I am not quite sure, but I think it would help. We need to hold stores accountable too...there needs to be some hardcore punishments for not following the background check exactly.

Next up is how do we keep people that shouldn't have guns from obtaining guns anyways. Obviously there will always be a black market, nothing we can do about that besides maybe making the punishment for getting caught worse. Do we say that individuals can not sell or give away their guns? That probably would help, but I still think a great deal of people would still do it. That and it also brings up the topic of personal property.

Ban guns from all public places? I don't think that would do anything...I mean, most place that have been the scene of these tragedies have been gun free zones. If anything maybe allowing adults to conceal carry in these places might help.

Then there is the issue of if guns are the problem and not the people. Yes, I know your knife comment. But look at the Norway bomber, he didn't need a gun to kill those, what, 77 people? Guns do kill people, but there are other ways to do even more damage. I suppose, though, that bombing does require a bit more knowledge and a more thought out plan, but I think when it comes down to it, when someone is going to kill, they are going to kill. Guns probably do account for more spontaneous incidents.

I am interested in anyone else's thoughts. I am totally 100% ok with gun control (but not gun banning) as long as it works...I can't think of anything else except making background checks smarter and more through.

I only have one thing to say about this since I said all there is to say about stuff like this during the shootings in that movie theater: AMERICA FIX YER GUNLAWS PLS.

Also I hate how they're starting the whole video game stuff again. I play Assassin's Creed, therefore I must have the urge to kill people with a hidden blade! Who gives a shit what the guy listened to/played/watched, it cannot be the reason for what happened there.

Then there is the issue of if guns are the problem and not the people. Yes, I know your knife comment. But look at the Norway bomber, he didn't need a gun to kill those, what, 77 people? Guns do kill people, but there are other ways to do even more damage. I suppose, though, that bombing does require a bit more knowledge and a more thought out plan, but I think when it comes down to it, when someone is going to kill, they are going to kill. Guns probably do account for more spontaneous incidents.

You mean Anders Breivik?

You know his bomb 'only' killed 6 or 7 people right? And he killed about 70 more on Utoya with, dare I say the word, a gun...

A complete ban of guns is impossible, as it is in the Netherlands too. You can purchase (a limited variety of) gunsover here, but only if you're a member of a shooting club and have a good background check (fucked up one time in Capelle 2 years back or so).

The guns that guy used yesterday weren't even his, but his mother, and then comes the other question. Why does a SCHOOLTEACHER have MULTIPLE guns at HOME. See what I'm implying?

I only have one thing to say about this since I said all there is to say about stuff like this during the shootings in that movie theater: AMERICA FIX YER GUNLAWS PLS.

Also I hate how they're starting the whole video game stuff again. I play Assassin's Creed, therefore I must have the urge to kill people with a hidden blade! Who gives a shit what the guy listened to/played/watched, it cannot be the reason for what happened there.

"Hey, people get bullied, maybe that might be the problem we have to tack-"

"NO, BLAME VIDEOGAMES AND THE ROCK MUSICS"

A complete ban of guns is impossible, as it is in the Netherlands too. You can purchase (a limited variety of) gunsover here, but only if you're a member of a shooting club and have a good background check (fucked up one time in Capelle 2 years back or so).

And don't forget the shooting in that mall two years ago or so. Yeah, in order to get a gun here you need to be registered at a shooting club, but before you can even register they're going to do firm background checks to see if you're mentally stable and don't have a criminal record. Once they let you enter you'll only be able to get your own gun after being a member for about a year or so. But before they give you the gun they're going to give you another background check. Stopping the black market will be near impossible, but currently it's too easy to obtain one in the US.

And don't forget the shooting in that mall two years ago or so.

That's the Capelle one I mentioned =)

[edit]

Ah, I mean Alphen xD

Capelle a/d IJssel

Alphen a/d Rijn

honest mistake xD

"Hey, people get bullied, maybe that might be the problem we have to tack-"

"NO, BLAME VIDEOGAMES AND THE ROCK MUSICS"

SRSLY PPLZ!

And don't forget the shooting in that mall two years ago or so.

That's the Capelle one I mentioned =)

Oh, I thought that shooting was somewhere in Gelderland or so (had it mixed up I suppose). Also at that image:

tumblr_ma7c8bWMy61qgl8kjo1_500.gif

Sometimes I seem to forget how stupid people are, I guess this was a good reminder.

ok,

since i wrote my last comment sort of in a hurry here a more thought through version..

Perhaps I am not looking in the right place

about the allergic reactions to gun-control discussions in america those obviously seem to take place on FOX for the major part and i have to admit that i only watch fox through the catalysator that is jon stewart's the daily show. (he just did a roughly related skid on 10.dez...)

I am having trouble seeing what would help...Long story short it is the right of the people to own guns

i don't see anything that helps right now either, with the main problem being that there are so many guns around already.

the closest estimate for guns in america seem to be around the 200-300 million mark which at a population of 314million makes either one gun for everyone, or probably closer 2 to 3 guns per household.

the main factor is the whole almost exclusively american mindset to always be able to "defend" yourself (with it's most disturbing manifestation in those stand your ground laws )

obviously all this gun swinging

do[es] account for more spontaneous incidents
like "bloodbath in wal-mart after dispute over bubblegum-prizes" or the sort, which seem to happen quite frequently aswell, but this is about the school-shootings so i'll focus on that.
when someone is going to kill, they are going to kill

this site is disgusting and do yourself the favor not to read the "comments" but it was the best kind of statistics i could find on the matter.

http://www.spreekillers.ch/index.php

looking at it you'll see except for 5 people (6 if we don't count the self-built flamethrower) everybody had some sort of firearm with them.

the thing is i guess that everyone of these massacers, be it of persons with misanthropic-suicide intentions, with diluted conspiracy-theory-obsessions, irrational hate on race/religion etc. only could become the tragedy they are, because the culprit had guns in direct access, be it in the guns-closet of the parents or even rightfully owning them themselves.

so in essence, yes, making it harder to obtain weopans in the first place would be a good place to start, but it wouldn't make much of a difference right now. banning firearms completely would be ideal obviously, but is more or less not possible.

same goes for background-checks and shooting-club registration, good start, but won't change a thing when there are 300million guns making the rounds anyways.

(here in germany there often are some voluntary "get rid of your guns" collects with no questions asked. you wouldn't believe what people still have in their garages :P bombs, flamethrowers, cannons, mostly WWII-rifles though...)

biggest problem as mentioned is that "protection and defending yourself" mindset of the US of A, resulting in nonsense like "more guns = less crime", which with a weopons lobby that strong will never change...

also

Also I hate how they're starting the whole video game stuff again.

srsly? they do? and i thought we would finally be past that point...

You mean Anders Breivik?

You know his bomb 'only' killed 6 or 7 people right? And he killed about 70 more on Utoya with, dare I say the word, a gun...

Wow...I feel really dumb...I am going to blame the news on that one (and me making assumptions). When they kept on calling it a bombing and then citing the death toll (and never anything about guns), I kind of assumed that all of those were from the bombings.

Sorry for my ignorance >.

ok,

since i wrote my last comment sort of in a hurry here a more thought through version..

about the allergic reactions to gun-control discussions in america those obviously seem to take place on FOX for the major part and i have to admit that i only watch fox through the catalysator that is jon stewart's the daily show. (he just did a roughly related skid on 10.dez...).

Though I think The Daily Show (which I love) blows the fox news problem out of proportion, it is still probably safe to disregard most things Fox says.

You mean Anders Breivik?

Wow...I feel really dumb...I am going to blame the news on that one (and me making assumptions). When they kept on calling it a bombing and then citing the death toll (and never anything about guns), I kind of assumed that all of those were from the bombings.

Sorry for my ignorance >.

ok,

about the allergic reactions to gun-control discussions in america those obviously seem to take place on FOX for the major part and i have to admit that i only watch fox through the catalysator that is jon stewart's the daily show. (he just did a roughly related skid on 10.dez...).

Though I think The Daily Show (which I love) blows the fox news problem out of proportion, it is still probably safe to disregard most things Fox says.

I am enjoying the discussion here, I will give a longer actual response when I have time later.

OBVIOUSLY, if America didn't have so much abortions, gay sex, atheists, marijuana and love for Islamic presidents like Barack HUSSEIN Obama so much, it would be a much better world and no one would be ever be killed ever and lollipops and rainbows and Jesus. :|

My heart goes out to everyone affected by this. . .

Sign in to follow this