Augie1995

GALEYD- Eye Will... mini album

I'm not even going to talk about the other songs because they can just release the one following song and I would have called this their best release yet:

I can't even comprehend how Eyes of Insanity can exist on this planet! Those guitar riffs are blowing me away, the vocals are simply great to me, and the drums are at speed with the song's tempo and it pumps me the hell up!! Let's get to the main attraction of every GALEYD song, Meku. That guitar solo is nothing short of godly, absolutely unreal. I can't even get past the rest of the song yet because I'm still replaying the solo so much! If I was Meku, I'd say this is a "f*** you" to the world's guitarists.

I do want to mention one thing about MESSIAH, that opening riff going on behind the tapping, it reminds me so much of ALSDEAD's newest song, Puzzle. Not saying it's a copy or anything of the sort, they are totally different but that one riff with the double bass backing it up is absolutely badass.

Yeah, this mini is basically perfect like all their other releases. If you think this is boring, unoriginal, lame, uninteresting, anything of the sort, may god help you.

-will- BLOWS me away

Mebius Trip BLOWS me away

Calling Angel BLOWS me away

Eyes of Insanity BLOWS me away

ヒステリア GOD DAMN IT BLOWS me away

Messiah BLOWS me away

GALEYD will be on repeat mode for the rest of 2012 and 2013.

As the spiritual successor to DELUHI, GALEYD seems to be following a little too closely in their footsteps. Let's run down the list:

[*:21fn6tde] One guitarist who is head and shoulders above his bandmates? Check.
    [*:21fn6tde] A drummer in love with his double bass that never sits quite right in the mix? Check.
    [*:21fn6tde] Barely audible bass under the shredfest? Yep. This guy's chilling with Aggy and Reita somewhere.
    [*:21fn6tde] High pitched vocalist? Oh yeah. He even sounds like Juri.

Regardless of the fact that four songs in I think that GALEYD is DELUHI II (which isn't a bad thing, there are far worse bands GALEYD could have emulated), GALEYD still suffers from the same exact problems that DELUHI suffered from and never quite escaped from, which is the fact that Meku is just too talented to be in this band. Much like no one could keep up with Leda, no one can keep up with Meku because they both play at one speed: fast. Whilst anyone can sit down and enjoy Meku's well-done solos in each song, the rest of each song has the most basic of basic structures because that's the most demanding level that the band can play at comfortably as a whole. The contrast between the skill level of Meku and the skill level of everyone else is painfully noticeable.

It's actually very noticeable how formulaic a good deal of the songs on EYE WILL... are. Every single song sounds like the band plays a standard song for the first two-thirds, then let Meku loose for about 30 seconds here and there to play a technically stunning, if not at times sterile, solo and then they go into a chorus and then a bombastic exit. Formulaic? Very. Bad? No.

The vocalist also suffers from the same exact problems that Juri did, which is that he has the right pitch of vocals for this music but he lacks power. With this mix of power metal and metalcore (with a little electronica thrown in for good measure), you need a vocalist who can kick you in the face with his delivery. This vocalist lacks that, but it is not something that can't be fixed. With time, he very well may get there.

Bassist? LOL where?

I jest, but he's also not very audible. In this style of music, he doesn't need to be. I trust he's there and rocking along.

Drummer? Double bass galore, can keep a beat, but could do with a little bit of spicing up. So, pretty much exactly what I would have told Sujk to do. They both play fast to keep up with the guitarist, but they sacrifice flair for speed. Either he needs to speed up or Meku needs to slow down, because all I hear is double bass + smacking on the same drum head for four minutes at a time.

At the end of the day, I treat this pretty much as I would a DELUHI mini because they're almost exactly the same. GALEYD gets a 7/10. Not the best thing ever in the world to come out of the visual kei scene, but they've got all the pieces and most of them are put together.

They need to just stop being DELUHI PART II: RETURN OF THE LEDA so they can grow into their own.