0rei

Do any of you seriously wish you are Japanese?

I always hear people say things like: "I wish I were born Japanese! My country sucks!" etc.

Being an enthusiast about the culture and music, and studying the Japanese language is one thing, but would any of you actually choose to BECOME Japanese if given the chance?

This doesn't have to apply to just wanting to be Japanese but any other race as well (there seems to be a lot of Korean envy too). I would like to hear opinions on this matter.

yeah, i'd like to be born jap. i like their genes, like eyes, body shape, hair, and i love just how they look. anyway, i dont dislike being how i am, i know jap people like me, and that's much better of belonging to a race not liked by much people.

It irks me when people are racist of themselves. That's something I don't really understand. A "race not liked by much people": do you mean races with negative stereotypes? Or is it because compared to media giant Japan many parts of the world feel like a minority?

I'm content with where I'm living now. I can't think of many things that would want me to go live in Japan. I'd go there on a holiday for some sightseeing, sure, but live there? No matter how many downsides this country MIGHT have, it's still pleasant to live in a tolerant country with a good educational system. The fact that people here can come out of the closet and won't be stared at or will get left out is a pleasant thought for me.

I think it's a bit silly question TBH... Even if Japan is highly interesting to me, so much that I could consider moving there, Japanese culture fills really huge portion of my life anyway. However I don't consider being Japanese some kind of special blessing, rather it actually seems really tough, my own country seems also a way safer. So as for being born as one what this was about, I don't think there is much point, I likely wouldn't be interested in it like this then anyway and that's only reason why I would want to move there :P.

No not me, i was born in England. I am what i am. I see no point in wasting time, wishing to be something you are not. Although Japan, it's culture and so on are interests i have. I am happy/content with enjoying these interests with myself and friends.

I'm like 1000 different ethnicity into one body, so I find it hard to appreciate what I am since I don't really see myself as any of them since I'm so little of each.

I pretty much agree with Mei, however Japanese isn't the only 'race' that would appeal to me if I could choose.

I'm like 1000 different ethnicity into one body, so I find it hard to appreciate what I am since I don't really see myself as any of them since I'm so little of each.

I could say that about my dads side of the family... But i don't, I am just me. It's sad that you feel that way. :(

Yes I'd love to be japonese with tiny eyes and a flat nose and bad teeth.

No, seriously. Why would I want to be Japanese when all the Japs so dearly idolize western features like pale skin and big eyes?

no. I can't deal born with micro penis.

hahaha, im crying atm

*edit: and i dont care about the meaning of race. i use race, don't like the word? dont read my comment.

As for myself, I am actually Chinese descent so Japanese culture at times feel familiar to my own upbringing. Maybe like many of you, I grew up with anime and Japanese video games etc. that got me interested in Japanese culture. But honestly, I'm pretty happy about myself. When some of my friends used to be such Japanophiles, I never got that. Sure, a vacation there someday would be awesome but to live there? Nah

As for myself, I am actually Chinese descent so Japanese culture at times feel familiar to my own upbringing. Maybe like many of you, I grew up with anime and Japanese video games etc. that got me interested in Japanese culture. But honestly, I'm pretty happy about myself. When some of my friends used to be such Japanophiles, I never got that. Sure, a vacation there someday would be awesome but to live there? Nah

Being Japanophile is O.K as long as it still healthy.

It only a problem when someone would go as far as having cosmetic surgery to look like Japanese and extreme stuffs like that.

Living there would be cool if it isn't so expensive.

I sometimes wish I was raised in a bilingual (English & Japanese) household simply because I like the language, but am too lazy to learn it. XD

Japanese schools/society in general seems so strict, though; I'd probably hate growing up there.

I sometimes wish I was raised in a bilingual (English & Japanese) household simply because I like the language, but am too lazy to learn it. XD

God, I would have loved to grow up in a bilingual household, no matter the language.

Do I wish I was Japanese? Heck no? Maybe I did for a short period in middle school, but I also thought it would be awesome to be a Gundam pilot (fuck, I still think that lolol).

That said, are their things I am envious about Japanese/Asians? of course!

1) Their hair. I love all the different shit they can do with it. But hey, I would go for any hair that isn't mine at this point...massive widow's peak, thin, balding.... -____-

2) Their style. This might be a little weird but I have never seen a bad Japanese skater, they all seem to have this amazingly fluid style. Even their teenaged girls have more style in their skating than I ever will. https://vimeo.com/44874703

3) Their lack of body hair (for the most part). It would be nice to not have chest hair, just saying lololol.

4) Their over all look. I have always admired how Asians look. I don't think I would ever want that for myself, though.

I would love to visit Japan and I admire parts of their culture very much, but I'm very appreciative to have been born in the US.

Well I grew up in a bilingual(spanish/english) household and yeah it helps with understanding the language, but you still have to put in the work lol. When I went to a bilingual school and took both english and spanish classes everyday my spanish was great, but I stopped in 8th grade and since then my spanish has deteriorated severely. I still understand it completely but I struggle with writing and speaking it fluently, and that's after living with my Dad(venezuelan) for 18 years and studying it every day for 10 years!

As for growing up in Japan, I like being openly gay, I came out in middle school, I doubt it would be anywhere near as socially acceptable so that would really suck. Plus I was a really shitty student in high school and realistically I would probably have fallen through the cracks in that strict of a society. Sooo yeah, I'm sure there are a million other reasons why I don't seriously wish I was japanese but these reasons stand out to me the most.

Yeah...no.

Like people have said before me, I like the culture, the language, the fact they can have cool gravity defying hair, but I like myself the way I am.

I dont want to be japanese... but i want ALL Toys, Food, CDs from Japan were available in my country... and were not very expensive ... ahahah... its my wish

^ this

1. i don't care if you call me weird ,but i just want to go to a shop and buy a fucking cd i like without having to order it from internet. and go to lives of bands i like. it's frustrating sometimes that i can't.

2. i think they are very pretty and you can be upset about it but i am just being honsest when i say i find them more pretty than many other people from other countries , so i would like looking like them. but i don't have a problem staying as i am now.because i think anyone who is obsessing over changing

an impossible thing like this is sick and need help

3. i don't like living in my country. if i have a chance to leave for somewhere else better ,i would in a second! so i would want to live in america or japan. i wish for this

4. i love the language, i wish i could speak fluently. without having to find money to pay for lessons

I would say yes, if only for the more slender build. Then again, I'm 189cm with a large build bone-wise, and it is a pain to carry all that mass around. I really am a fan of the culture, it just seems to *click* with me. Their education system and healthcare is a far sight better than here in Murrica.

Am I going to mope about the fact that I wasn't born Japanese? Hell no. Just gotta roll with the punches.

No, I'm quite proud of having the same ethnicity as Jackie Chan, Bruce Lee, and Stephen Chow, even though I wasn't born in the same place as them. And I'm proud that my great grandparents had the guts to migrate some place else with better opportunities, even though they had to face racism. But I sure wish that I had been born in a developed country so that I don't have to worry trying to find ways (ahem visa) to keep my ass in one. But I like rock & roll and living in Asia, because I am Asian and I had been raised in a more Asian than Western way (even if that's kind of questionable because I went to an American middle & high school... in Asia, man I'm so culturally confused), so that wish could also be "I wish I had been born in an Asian developed country where there's some awesome rock & roll". There aren't that many of those, to be honest with.

I think people who are citizens or permanent residents of developed countries should be more grateful of their status. If you want to do things you like in life that might put you in the risk of becoming somewhat broke, at least you still won't be as broke and at a dead end as some other people in the world.