allisapp

Beauty and fashion

Because every forum needs one. This thread is about beauty in general; fashion, looks (makeup, hair) or anything about... well, beauty. Do you need something to be recommended to you? Do you follow the latest fashion? Do you use a lot of money to products? Did you dye your hair today? Are you trying to find a perfect hairstyle for you?

There's a few questions to get started. This thread is open to everyone; girls and guys, so don't feel afraid to ask or tell us something.

:3

I've been meaning to post in here for a long time, but I'm lazy so um... here it is finally :'D

I thought I'd take some time to post about my skincare routine which was mostly put together by Nuclear Cat along with a few modifications I've made over time due to either wanting to try new things or by products being out of stock. I've chosen to go for a whitening regimen since everyone knows that purposefully pale skin is beautiful and I've seen some great results so far. I don't really have any before&after pictures to put up, but there's quite a difference in the 10 months that I've been doing this.

Anyways, here's my skincare routine as it stands currently:

1. St. Ives Apricot Whitening Scrub (2-3 times a week)

2. Kose SOFTYMO Medicated White Cleansing Wash

3. HadaLabo SHIROJYUN Whitening Lotion

4. HadaLabo SHIROJYUN Arbutin Whitening Essence

*I've run out of this so I'm going to try out Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Ferulic Acid + Retinol Brightening Solution next, as I've heard some really amazing things about it*

5. SHISEIDO White Lucent Brightening Protective Cream (mornings)

6. IsQueen CRYSTAL WHITE SERIES Crystal White Night Repair Cream (nights)

7. Eveline GARDEN OF NATURE Olive + Coenzyme Q 10 Anti-Wrinkle Eye Cream

*Out of stock and I'm running out, so I'll probably be switching to something else soon*

That is about it for my skincare routine. I do use a Clarisonic as well with the cleansing wash and it's been absolutely amazing.

I'm still pretty new to this whole "actually taking care of your skin" thing, so I'd be rather interested to see what other people use/do as well :3

Do you need something to be recommended to you?

Lol, recommend what? If you can recommend something that makes my hair stop thinning or preventing my skin from being so dang pale/red, then sure. But I don't think that is going to happen.

Do you follow the latest fashion?

No, not really. I wouldn't say that I don't follow trends, but I lag behind a little bit. For sure buying last seasons stuff is sooooo much cheaper than buy it when it is new (though I do buy some stuff new). I have plenty of pairs of jeans I find nice, but I have never paid over $30 for pair that cost as much as $100. How, I just get them super discounted as last season's/year's fashion. I also buy a good chuck of my clothing online. My main go to site is Whiskey Militia, though I doubt many people here would like the styles they sell.

Do you use a lot of money to products?

Nope. I use a half decent shampoo/condition (just a step above the basic low priced stuff, so like $7 a bottle), I tend to use leave in conditioner (though I haven't picked up any in weeks). I straighten my hair everyday in the morning to prevent it from being a poofball. I put gatsby in my hair on some occasions (i.e. I am going out). After shaving I almost always use a aftershave lotion (soothes the face as my skin is sensitive and shaving destroys it) and usually some Talcum powder once the lotion dries to smooth my face some more and bring down the redness. In the uncommon event that I have a spot/pimple on my face and I am going out, I will put on a bit of cover up.

On rare occasions I will put some cover up on the bags under my eyes. I have massive bags, but my glasses honestly hide them really well, so I don't bother unless I am doing something fairly special (this is maybe a once every 1-2 months thing). I think that is the extent of it, so not a lot of $$

Did you dye your hair today?

Nope. Unless it was a natural color, my workplace wouldn't accept it either. I have dyed my bangs red twice before and attempted to dye all of my hair grey, but my hair just does not accept color well. It usually just looks like a faded color of what it should me. The grey seriously didn't work at all! lol

Are you trying to find a perfect hairstyle for you?

I think I have found a pretty decent style for myself, but I am always up for trying new things. Honestly, the longer I go, the more limiting my hair styles will be....god damn thinning hair ;___;

I honestly don't pay as much attention to my hair/skin as I do my clothing/accessories. I find my style to be somewhere in between well dressed nerd and skater. Because I am now working full time, I also spend a lot of time dressing up for work , though I try to keep my style going there a little bit.

Pants: I prefer the cooler weather so I can wear jeans. I can't stand wearing pants in warmer weather, so I usually wear shorts (even though I don't think I look great in shorts). I like dark blue and grey jeans for the most part. What is also awesome is jeans with stretch, I love being able to have full range of motion (which is impossible is most 100% cotton jeans). I tend to like my pants to be just slightly on the skinny side, and I never wear anything that baggy. I have a lot dressier pants for work too, but I like to get these from skater oriented brands so they tend to be a bit skinnier fit, have stretch, and don't have the crease running down the leg (which I hate).

Tops: I have a lot of tshirts and a lot of collared shirts. As far as t's go, I have lot of skating stuff. am really picky with the designs I like, since so much shit is tacky or cheesy. I don't have anything with just text on it, that always comes off to me as so juvenile. I wear mostly collared shirts to work or for going out, I tend to like either solid color with a textured fabric or interesting plaid. I have a handful of sweaters, but I don't usually wear them. I have quite a few hoodies though (probably around 10-12). I also have 2 peacoats (one blue, one black) for when I want to look classier lol.

Accessories: this comes down to 3 things for me as a dude: Belts (which I am not huge into), glasses, and watches. I have been sporting Oakley glasses for the past 4 or so years now and I really love how they look. I currently have 2 pairs that I switch off with. I also love watches and I think they look great on me...they help bring something extra too my look and I almost never leave the house with out one on. I am pretty much in love with Nixon watches, I have 5 of them (so I can match a watch to pretty much anything I wear).

HOPE THAT POST WAS GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU, MARIA

Also, Panda, with all the shit you use, I expect you to look ghostly lol

I like clothes, but I don't care about fashion trends and what's "in" or "out". I just buy and wear what I like. 

Don't really spend a lot of money on products either. I do like to use hypoallergenic soap, but that's because i have super sensitive skin. And I use Aveeno Clear Complexion strictly as a face wash since everything else I tried irritates my skin.  I use a silk drop liquid thingy to style my hair and keep the frizz away. Also I use palmers cocoa butter as a lotion. It's keep your skin healthy and helps reduce the look of scars and blemishes. Plus it makes you smell like chocolate.

I haven't dyed my hair. I like the color and style it is now , but I would like to try a different color. I've been thinking something along the lines of an auburn shade.

When it comes to make up and skin products I am still on the search and try out as much as I can. I have really bad skin and nothing has really helped so far (and I will visit a doctor soon to get pharmaceutical drugs and medical creams against it) so I am skin sensitive wearing make up to hide my blemishes and redness. But I am very interested into make up in general, I just love what many people can create. Some of their looks are (almost) art.

I also dye my hair. Most of the time black but currently I am trying out all kinds of very bright and unusual colors. i don't really like my natural hair, it is wavy and just a boring brunette, so I am straightining and styling it and I am really happy with it. (and of course I use various procucts to protect it from the dying, bleaching and heating. Nothing is more awful than to have hair that resembles straw- which I had when I was 13 and I have looked terrible).

I am now trying to practice teasing my hair. I still can't get to manage my hair to stand up longer than 2 hours and to get the volume and fluffyness I want but we slowly get there.

I am not really following any current fashion trend. I am interested into fashion, clothes and fashion design, but I am skeptical against it, especially the fashion industry which in my eyes is only business and about making money and not about creativity. Most fashion trends only exist a rather short time and vanish after two or three years. What has been so trendy and "in" yesterday could be considered "out" today and old fashioned tomorrow. Also it feels as if most designers are to lazy to come up with new or innovative ideas. i know that's pretty hard as everything has been done once, but the fashion industry today does nothing else than taking old styles from former centuries, modify it and sell it again as something totally new and creative.

I am not complaining about it though- I really love 80s and 90s fashion, mainly old wave, goth and punk clothes and good old school visual kei. My personal style pretty much consists of a combination of these elements. It just bugs me that "retro" styles are brought into the stores as if the fashion has never existed before and is "new".

But I am afraid this whole topic what fashion is and what's good or bad about it is very very difficult and it is almost impossible to be objective about it. And possibly I am just another hypocritical "anti-mainstream" idiot who is not better for being such an elitist prick sticking to the past and dressing like those already 40 year old goffs and punx. So i have no right about being all "fuck mainstream fashion trends" anyway.

I spent most of my money for music lately. I try to get into the whole do it yourself thing. i can't sew (but I wish to learn it someday) but i try my best to turn old clothes into something new with my creativity (and a scissor :P). I'd never buy a dress or clothes for more than 40€ and even this is very expensive for me. I also don't understand people getting all of their clothes from "underground" stores... I prefer to buy normal shirts, paint something on it and rip it apart to get the punk look I want. I really can't understand why I should pay +10€ for a jeans to have holes, when I can get a cheap one and make the holes myself.

Only unique or special items get more money, like shoes, band shirts or acessoires such as jewelry, belts, bags, etc. I also consider the artistic handmade work of creative people worth to get my money. I have found very pretty and astoundingly beautiful crafts and acessoired sold on sites like etsy. I consider getting some of it and support the artist. And I honestly rather pay 50$ for a handmade product that looks awesome, is well made and unique then pay this for something mass-produced.

And do tattoos also fit into this thread? Because I really want to get one. I just can't decide what image will be on my skin and I need to save up money too... but I had the wish to decorate a part of my body with one for a long time.

FASHION -

Jeans

Metal shirt

Dyke leather battle jacket

I don't care for fashion, whatever is the most comfortable is my motto. In the summer I have dresses to keep cool since I can't stand Seattle's laughable mild summers.

SKIN -

I have never been able to figure out a good skin make up because it always causes me to break out. I've tried make up for dry skin and make up for oily skin and I still end up the next day with two or three nice big zits. For the most part I use a nice moisturizer, it keeps my skin from drying out and getting flaky.

EYES -

Okay, eye make up I can hold my own. I probably go all out chola a few times a year because usually I end up not being able to stand it after a few hours. For the most part I don't wear any but sometimes I'll put on a little bit of eye liner, depending on my mood and how casual I want to be. I don't use mascara, my lashes are already dark and long and mascara makes my eyes feel chunky and heavy. I can't stand it.

Funny story but I was in chola mode and went out to eat with a friend of mine. Without realizing it rubbed my eye because it was itchy from all the crap caked on it. Ended up smearing black shit all over my face. I finished dinner with my friend first before fixing it LOL. 

Sometimes I'll pencil in my brows but they're alright on their own, depends if I'm going full on chola.

LIPS -

I have a stupid overbite and end up with lipstick on my two front teeth. It's always like, jeez Arith you're not supposed to eat the lip stick.

HAIR -

I am pretty anal about my hair, I don't actually do anything with it but it's thick and heavy and gets frizzy in the slightest bit of moisture. So I do put a lot of effort into using nice hair products, especially anti frizzing products. I try to keep a hat and hair tie on me so if it starts to sprinkle or it's really damp out I can pull it back and slap a hat on to prevent it from frizzing out. I spend about an hour drying and straightening it after showering just so that it can look nice. Otherwise I look like a brunette carrot top.

I have horrible hybrid hair that's a mix of my Mom's hair and my Dad's Asian hair.

OI YOU LAZY FUCKS POST IN THIS THREAD AND MAKE MARIA HAPPY

For a split second there I thought you're referring to Maria Cross

I wuz like... would you like tips on how to take care of rainbow hair?

For a split second there I thought you're referring to Maria Cross

I wuz like... would you like tips on how to take care of rainbow hair?

It's always important to keep Maria Cross, our lord and savior, happy.

Anyways, I don't think I have much to add to my post here. I dyed my hair on my own for the first time(a darker brown than my natural color) and it actually turned out quite well :3  My skincare routine is mostly the same except for the day cream which I switched out for the day cream on Shiseido's Sekkisei line while I was in Japan.

I'm shamelessly ripping off Arithmeticas format >_____>

FASHION:

I don't care about clothes, as long as they feel comfortable. Most of my clothing has dark colors and is usually one or two sizes too big. For some reason I don't like well-fitted clothing. I pretty much only own jeans, t-shirts, sneakers and sweaters and hoodies for the cold days.

SKIN:

I used to put on bodylotion, but as I felt like it didn't do anything I stopped using it to save money for other things. So I don't use skin products.

EYES:

Only thing I do is put on a little mascara on some days. When I'm in a hurry or too tired (or lazy) I don't put anything on. I'm pretty okay with that anyway, I prefer walking around natural, a lot less of a hassle.

LIPS:

...there is stuff for your lips?

HAIR:

One explosion of frizzy hair 99.9% of the time. Styling it and using hairspray works for approximately 10 minutes before it blows up again, so there's nothing left to do than to put it in a ponytail, haha.

Really odd question, but what ever:

Anyone have any recommendations for a cheap facial wipe or something of the sort? At work, for whatever reason, my face tends to get oily/greasy about half way through the day. My guess is that I am just subconsciously touching my face and stuff while working in photoshop and the like. I usually end up going to the bathroom and washing my face off in the sink, which is kind of weird. I would like to get like a container of facial wipes or something that I could just keep in a drawer at my cube or something. Any suggestions?

Anyone have any recommendations for a cheap facial wipe or something of the sort? At work, for whatever reason, my face tends to get oily/greasy about half way through the day. My guess is that I am just subconsciously touching my face and stuff while working in photoshop and the like. I usually end up going to the bathroom and washing my face off in the sink, which is kind of weird. I would like to get like a container of facial wipes or something that I could just keep in a drawer at my cube or something. Any suggestions?

I wouldn't really recommend any of the cheaper facial wipes out there, unfortunately. I had tried a few back in the day because of really oily skin, but I found that they were rather alcoholic(cheaper skin care products use a decent amount of alcohol which dries out your skin) and would make my skin so dry that I'd have to use an additional lotion to make things better. I haven't tried them, but if they're not too far out of your price range you can try these Shiseido Pureness Refreshing Cleansing Sheets Oil-Free Alcohol-Free. They've got great reviews and I've absolutely loved every other product from Shiseido that I've tried. If you get them from Sephora, then they've got a great return policy, so if they don't seem to work as you like then you can easily return what's left for a full refund.

Also, if you feel like your skin is getting excessively oily then you should try increasing your water intake. I used to almost never drink water and had terrible problems with oily skin, but I've noticed that since increasing to ~5L of water a day(honestly you'd probably only need half of that, but due to my diet my body doesn't retain water as much), most of those problems have gone away.

Don't know if there are in US but almost all cosmetics shop in HK has oil blotting sheets for sale and they are quite cheap. They won't wipe away water from skin, only oil. I like the one from Gatsby coz it gets more oil than other oil blotters brands imo.

If you just want to stop the shine you can either get those small blotting papers or simply take a papertowel and gently press it against your face for a few seconds.

But if you really want something to clean your face with I'd recommend a cleanser called '9 to 5' by Lush. (it's more like a facemilk. and it's also organic) I just put a small amount on a cotton pad and wipe my face with that. After that my skin is super clear and hydrated at the same time. Most 'wipes' I know really dry out the skin which will only cause it to produce even more oil.

Booked a time for a hairdresser next Wednesday and a massage time for the next Wednesday after that one. First time going to get a massage, so let's see how it goes. (Is it like in the porn?)

For couple of years I have wanted to get a pastel hair, so I decided to start the long project now, which will probably take couple of months, because I want my hair to stay as healthy as possible. I have light brown coloured hair, and I really want to get same kind of colour as my wig. Not totally sure if I want to go as dark as the wig's colour is. Actually my whole "hair plan" is copied from my wig, because I love it so much. XD Sadly I can't use it at work or anything, so it's just sitting on my desk waiting me.

Anyone else who has gotten pastel haircolour? What colour? How often did you bleach your hair until it was light/blond enough to dye it with a pastel colour? And what was the colour of your hair before you started bleaching?

I have heard lots of good stuff about Asian BB-creams, so I decided to order MIssha M's BB-cream from KOREADEPART and SKIN79's BB-cream from YesStyle. Let's see if they are good enough for my pale face. XD

I think you'd be amazed by the amount of make up things, skin care products & hair products I have... I'm a huge impulse shopper when it comes to cosmetics, and most of my stuff I've bought on sale. I'm pretty sure I have 10-15 different products that can be used before blow drying your hair XD But I do have a long hair though, so I really do need a lot of different products to keep it healthy. Nowadays I don't style my hair as much as I used to, but it would be a waste to get rid of all those products.

My everyday makeup is pretty minimal and in every occasion I try to keep it pretty natural. Most days I just curl my lashes, put on some mascara and draw my eyebrows because I'm very fixated on them XD I like sleeping so much I get up like 10 minutes before I really gotta go EVERY SINGLE MORNING, so I do my makeup in the bus every single fucking day. :(

Ito, on 04 May 2013 - 7:17 PM, said:snapback.png

So, I know it's late, but I tend to not like facial wipes and they make my skin feel a little icky after. What I do recommend, which is like the liquid that goes into facial wipes, but in a bottle (also removes makeup but I do use it as a lazy day cleanser too) is Garnier Micellular cleansing water. Seriously a great cleansing product and cheap too

And as for me, I have WAY too much makeup. Like seriously... I may post a picture here of my makeup table later if I can be bothered xD

If I want to post some makeup looks or smth, shall I do it in this thread or shall I make a special thread dedicated just to that?

Fashion...whatever I like, I will wear ;) maybe some cool leggings if i'm feeling fancy but then I wear mens t-shirts with that or an oversized mens shirt that is now too big for my Dad (despite me being smaller than him)

Finland is a really cold country, so it's not an understatement that you need warm clothes. I am on the hunt of winter coat, but I'd like to not use our clone-shops in Finland. I tried to look warm (and fluffy hood!) coats from ASOS, when I realized that they have a whole different idea of winter coats. Most of them seems to be parkas which looks quite warm, but after checking the material it seems to be quite thin material. And due to this, I am not completely sure how it would hold here, where winters can be harsh with -30C degrees.

Which shops you guys would recommend for winter clothing? (Coats. I am actually also interested in winter shoes, but tbh, I am not that familiar with winter shoes - after all, I used sneakers for couple of winter with dangerously blue toes. Now I am using these fake Dr. Martens boots, which materials are quite thin. I have to use wool socks with them because of the material.)

pls help me to not to be the literal model of the movie "Frozen".

Crest 3d white works, i got the strips toothpaste an mouthwash. i didn't get full white because of saliva issues i think but i'm almost there. hope to try again this summer.

Ladies is your looking too do some clothing shopping watch this video then check the description box for 20% off code

necro-ing this thread OOOOOPS

I wanted to share my skincare routine since I've been kinda into that as of last year and this seems like the place to post it. First of all, I got into skincare after my visit in Japan last year when I tried a few products that basically changed my view on skincare. I never believed in skincare until after trying those products, which actually showed results. Since then I've been trying many different products, including delving into Korean skincare, but I later found out that I started breaking out to almost everything so I think I kinda messed up my skin.....But anyway, here's some of the stuff I use. I've been minimizing my routine for a while now. I have oily/dry/sensitive skin btw.

-in the morning I just wash my face with plain water

-tone my face with Secret Key Tea Tree Refresh Calming Toner

-moisturize my face with Chifure Light Milky Lotion

-also recently got SoonJung 10-Free Moist Emulsion which works just as well as a lightweight moisturizer

-i then use a sunscreen called Biore UV Aqua Rich Watery Whitening Cream for when i go out, however it leaves a white cast so i'm probably gonna switch over to something else

-at night i use a Kose Softymo Deep Treatment Oil to remove makeup (which is basically just eyeliner) and dirt

-wash it off with Matcha Hemp Hydrating Cleanser

-tone and moisturize my face with the products i listed above

-occasionally i use Rosette Cleansing Paste Acne Clear for when my acne gets bad, i avoid using it daily cuz it dries my face and breaks me out but it works really good at minimizing those annoying red bumps i get sometimes

So that's basically my skincare that has been working well for me lately. I'd still like to find a cleanser that does more than hydrate my face and yet doesn't break me out from all the stripping. Or just something gentle that helps with hyperpigmentation/acne scars/pores.

As far as fashion goes the colors I mainly wear are black and darker shades of red like maroon. I have some white, grey, and dull blue tops in my wardrobe as well. Otherwise that's basically it. I most likely will not wear any other color unless it's a comfy t-shirt, but I still would not wear anything that's mostly bright. I didn't really care for shoes before but I have about 5 pairs now, all of which are black. One of them is just mainly slippers tho. I wear are few accessories, always have a pair of earrings on and a thick plain silver ring on my right index finger. Occasionally I wear necklaces and bracelets rarely since I'm always in long sleeves.

The only makeup I put on is a thin black eyeliner, basically just on the waterline. And some foundation to cover some redness. I'd like to draw in my eyebrows since they're almost nonexistent but I'm bad at making them look natural. Plus I'm a bit lazy.

For my hair I find that Japanese hair products work the best for me. I remember having much softer hair from when I studied abroad in Japan for a year. Anyway, I've been using the Ichikami Moisturizing Shampoo and Conditioner lately and it makes my hair feel soft all the time. I also use Deuxer 3 wax to add some volume to my hair and then go in with a hairspray to 'kinda' keep it from moving. I still haven't found a hairspray that actually works well. I'd like try out some Japanese hairspray products but they usually aren't available online.

Anyway, this post turned out rather long so OOPS, again. Tbh, I never really cared much about my looks until after I dropped out of college and started trying to feel happier about myself. I mean I still did the minimal stuff but never really poured much money into it until then. Guess some of it has to do with actually earning a constant income as well (although i'm currently back in school so *weep*).

Edited by plastic_rainbow

@plastic_rainbow thanks for sharing your routine. In the last two years my skin went from normal and clear to oily/dry/sensitive and prone to breakouts, I simply don't know how to manage it. I'll try using some of the products you mentioned and I hope I can discover something that helps.

My routine lately is:

-Wash face with water in the morning

- The Bodyshop's seaweed toner in the morning or night

-Ponds cold cream every other day to cleanse and remove make up

-Bodyshop's aloe vera night cream every other night

-Bodyshop's aloe vera gel to moisturise during the day 

Once I run out of bodyshop's products I most likely will not be buying there again. A lot of it feels heavy on the face. Which reminds me that I also use their tea tree clay mask every now and then. 

The only make up I use is Bourjois 123 Perfect CC Cream a couple times a week and red tint lipstick (brand varies as I'm experimenting with a few atm) 

I like to keep hair care simple, to the point where I barely use conditioner anymore. I use 2-1 hemp oil shampoo/conditioner by Dr Organic. Then I use a few drops of propolis oil to moisturise my hair. Once a week I use a dead sea minerals hair mask for deep conditioning.