Danao

Tag Mod

Hi

As I said in the Shoutbox, I liked the tag mod that was used some times before

It was cool when you make a new Topic on the DL Section to choose the tag (Album, Single, Live Distrib etc) with a color for each

So what about bringing back that mod ?

If the forum crash didn't happened cause of that, I think it's a good choice to put it back

What do you think about that ?

I really like the re-installed topic prefixes, it's really great looking! I wanna make a few suggestions though:

Other than "Other" (lol):

・Live-Limited
(This type of release is being _sold_ at/after lives. Live-Dist. is for things given out for _free_ and it doesn't necessarily has to happen at "lives". There are also CDs you can pick up at stores/instore events. Might prevent people from asking "Where can I buy this?"-questions to releases that were distributed for free and helps to increase accuracy and specification. There are also "Mail Order Limited" releases but I think it would be okay to use Maxi-Single, Album etc. for this type of release.)

・Distributed
(Instead of Live-Dist. for above stated reasons)

・Privilege
(For all that isn't a single but a bonus song tape/CD/DVD, comment tape/CD/DVD from several stores like Tower Records, Brand X, etc.)

・Best-of

・Discography

・Partial Disco.

・VHS

・DVD

・Blu-ray

・Request or REQ

・Scans

Something like that~

Oh and what about implenting Topic Prefixes to be obligatory so you have to choose one before having the chance to post a new topic?
Or having a full-fledged form similar to ID tags for the future? Idk if that's possible code-wise. ^^ Would make the DL forum a lot neater~
What do you think?

Oh and what about implenting Topic Prefixes to be obligatory so you have to choose one before having the chance to post a new topic?

I think we have this already in the normal DL section, but I will check the settings. (Sometimes old threads get bumped up without Prefix, but all new threads should have one.)

Also, I think the distinction between live Limited/Distributed might be too specific for our needs. If anything we can rename it to "Live Limited" for anything sold/given away at lives only, and anything that can be aquired via a normal shop, may it be for money or for free, is just a regular single.

I think we want to avoid having too many different categories, as it will just make the section look messy. That's why there is a "Other" category, for all those fringe categories that appear so rarely that they don't really warrant a prefix of their own, like "privilege" Cds.

But yeah, we do need to bring back the prefixes for the other DL forums like Video and Discography, we just didn't really get to this so far.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean about "full-fledged form similar to ID tags". But I'm willing to guess it's not part of the mod, because we pretty much use it to its full ability already. We would have to buy another mod (if that even exists), or code something ourselves, and even if that was possible, it most likely wouldn't be a priority for us.

I can see that too many categories might be confusing/messy-looking, it was just a try to clear things up in order to decrease the misinformation on release types ^^~

Would just be cool having additional prefixes for the Video and Disco sections though!

Hmm, how to explain... With ID tag similar to those in audio files, I mean a form between the topic prefix and the actual text field where you can enter release date if known (i.e. like those drop down menues for registering your birth date), maybe then it would be possible to do specified searches for "All posts for releases from 20XX(, August)" etc.

Furthermore it would be nice having standardized fields for artist name, release title, bitrate, compression type, tracklist, current state of artist(active, disbanded, unknown) as well (on the other hand this might be too strict for the understandable needs of users wanting to preserve their individual posting layouts).

A field for genre wouldn't be needed since there's a tags-function already (awesome thing that is!).

Oh and one more thing: I'd really appreciate having that function back for embedding YouTube videos (or Nico Nico Douga / MySpace / tumblr videos). I never know what code to use for adding videos to posts, I tried a few times but it never worked out for me (durrr). I think the "put twitter link to post"-function in the text field is less important (haven't seen anyone would have used that much at all so far) compared to video embedding.

Hmm, how to explain... With ID tag similar to those in audio files, I mean a form between the topic prefix and the actual text field where you can enter release date if known (i.e. like those drop down menues for registering your birth date), maybe then it would be possible to do specified searches for "All posts for releases from 20XX(, August)" etc.

Furthermore it would be nice having standardized fields for artist name, release title, bitrate, compression type, tracklist, current state of artist(active, disbanded, unknown) as well (on the other hand this might be too strict for the understandable needs of users wanting to preserve their individual posting layouts).

A field for genre wouldn't be needed since there's a tags-function already (awesome thing that is!).

Actually we (and by "we" I mean "Kai", lol) were working on something like this before we changed forum software. However, with the new forum and the new, decent tagging system, I don't think this is his top priority anymore, especially since he has other projects, like the opening of the DS artist database that are more important right now.

That system definetely isn't possible with the current tag mod though. Of course we could extend the tagging system and let people include the release year as tag, for example.

Oh and one more thing: I'd really appreciate having that function back for embedding YouTube videos (or Nico Nico Douga / MySpace / tumblr
videos). I never know what code to use for adding videos to posts, I tried a few times but it never worked out for me (durrr).

The code is (media) >link< (/media) (with [ instead). In the posting form, click the "Special BB code" button (top row, third from left) and it gives you a couple of options, including the "media" one. It doesn't work for all sites, but I know it does work for Youtube and Vimeo for example. If I'm not mistaken, the old system only worked for Youtube, so it's actually better then what we had before.

That's true, the current system is superior to the old one, lots of improvements have been done! I'd like to express my gratitude towards Kai :D Excited on what's planned for DS also!

And thank you for the code, will try using that ^^