Sign in to follow this  
gyakutai

Most overvalued band

Saying they are a boy band because half of their fanbase may like them for what they look like brings me back to me saying about why judge the band just because of some of the fans, why does that make them a boy band just because some of their fans like them for what they look like, the whole meaning of the term boy band is a group of people put together and they don't play instruments they mainly just dance, so how does the reason why their fans like them determine what kind of band they are?

Shou can definitely sing, he proves that every time they do a live.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_band

VK is considered a subset of boy bands in Japan. Plus, being a boy band isn't a bad thing. Put your prejudice away.

And to the person who said Versailles isn't overvalued? LOL. I LOVE Versailles and I can tell you they're overrated. Have you ever been to one of their concerts? The fangirls are fucking insane.

^ >implying that true success comes from becoming popular in a country (japan) that is heavily influenced by fads and crazes.

Sorry for butting in as the thread has obviously moved on to a different discussion, but I just had to inquire:

Alright, so what is the criteria for being a true successful band?

Understandably, Dir en grey have made some decent achievements, but personally I don't see how a band (like 'em or hate 'em) who are the first Asian rock band to be honored on the Hollywood Rock Walk, notable for selling out massive stadiums within consecutive days/weeks, performed/recorded/collaborated with globally renowned guitarists and drummers, has a guitarist who is the first Asian to have their own Gibson Les Paul signature model, had 43 #1 singles, and 23 #1 albums are somehow FAR from being successful by any means when compared to what a band like Dir en grey has done.

And to the person who said Versailles isn't overvalued? LOL. I LOVE Versailles and I can tell you they're overrated. Have you ever been to one of their concerts? The fangirls are fucking insane.

I think the main thing about Versailles (who I like btw) is that they're nowhere near as special as some fans make them out to be. Sure, you don't find that many symphonic metal bands in vk, but you find lots of non-visual symphonic metal bands all around the world. But a lot of Versailles fans wouldn't touch these bands with a barge pole, yet they praise Versailles as if they re-invented music. Yes, they do good handiwork, but so do other bands of that genre.

Agreed with the above.

The only reason Versailles is really "special" to my knowledge when compared with others that play similar music is that they . . . wear $10,000 dresses. =/ Them being Japanese doesn't (surprisingly) seem to be a factor, considering that there are tons of Japanese symphonic bands (non-vk) that play the exact same stuff/better stuff and Versailles fans don't even bat an eye lash towards them.

^ >implying that true success comes from becoming popular in a country (japan) that is heavily influenced by fads and crazes.

Sorry for butting in as the thread has obviously moved on to a different discussion, but I just had to inquire:

Alright, so what is the criteria for being a true successful band?

Understandably, Dir en grey have made some decent achievements, but personally I don't see how a band (like 'em or hate 'em) who are the first Asian rock band to be honored on the Hollywood Rock Walk, notable for selling out massive stadiums within consecutive days/weeks, performed/recorded/collaborated with globally renowned guitarists and drummers, has a guitarist who is the first Asian to have their own Gibson Les Paul signature model, had 43 #1 singles, and 23 #1 albums are somehow FAR from being successful by any means when compared to what a band like Dir en grey has done.

PREACH IT.

I think the main thing about Versailles (who I like btw) is that they're nowhere near as special as some fans make them out to be. Sure, you don't find that many symphonic metal bands in vk, but you find lots of non-visual symphonic metal bands all around the world. But a lot of Versailles fans wouldn't touch these bands with a barge pole, yet they praise Versailles as if they re-invented music. Yes, they do good handiwork, but so do other bands of that genre.

Thank you Champ for interpreting my post when my brain farted and I couldn't say what I meant to. :D

You might be right about Versailles having a lot of fangirls, but then again, there are far more people who like Versailles for their music and many of them probably hate the way they look.

Versailles is pretty well known outside of the Visual Kei scene. As I said, a lot of their fans probably have no clue what Visual Kei is, yet they still like them.

That's all I wanted to point out. I'm not saying you're wrong, Versailles for sure has a lot of fangirls.

@total Versailles conversation

This is really my own opinion and I don't (and obviously can't) speak for every Versailles fan, but what drew me to Versailles originally was a natural progression:

Followed Mana since Malice Mizer to Moi dix Mois > Loved Juka, followed his career to HIZAKI Grace project > Their music struck a chord with me > Juka left that band > HIZAKI, Teru and Jasmine joined Versailles with Kamijo, whom I followed since LAREINE. It just so happens that HIZAKI Grace Project did symphonic metal which is what Versailles now does (and Matenrou OPERA... I think... Would you define that as Symphonic Metal? If so, then yes them too.)

And it's not that I personally wouldn't touch Symphonic Metal bands from other countries with a 10 foot pole, I have just never heard of any of them because, and I'll be brutally honest about myself, I have my head shoved so far up the VK Scene's ass that I can see out it's mouth. I've probably heard just about every band that's worth listening to. If there are any symphonic metal bands from other countries that people would suggest to me, I'm open to suggestions :)

I just don't know many bands from other countries, even America, because I really had no interest in any of them. However, I recenly got into Apocalyptica.

Now, I don't see anything wrong with preferring them over other bands with the same genre or liking them because you have been following the members and the scene and you just were naturally drawn to them, etc. And tbh, nothing is wrong with liking them because they just look absolutely freaking amazing in those outfits -which they do (it's visual kei, why not?)

I don't think it is a matter of needing to get into the other bands/hating Versailles now, it is just a matter of being a bit educated and acknowledging they aren't the only ones is what we're getting at. Case in point, just so you aren't going around declaring "white people can NEVER shred like this *cites Versailles*" over and over again and pissing people off and making yourself look foolish. :mrgreen:

Matenrou OPERA... I think... Would you define that as Symphonic Metal? If so, then yes them too.)

I wouldn't call Matenrou symphonic metal, but they are symphonic.

Symphonic Metal is metal that has an orchestrated atmosphere.

@cibicco-san Definitely not saying that haha, I'm not racist, it's not a matter of race that makes Versailles better than everyone else, it's the fact that they just are (imho) haha, in any case, I don't know really of any American bands that are as good as them, if only because American vocalists suck ass, imho again. I acknowledge that there were old-timey bands that did all this stuff before Versailles was around, but they all pale in comparison, yet again: imho. I do think a lot of my love for them comes from the fact that I love amijo as a vocalist, I think his ability to really sing is what brings it all home for me.

@Jrockdrama I agree, I didn't really know what to call them, but I think they're becoming less and less symphonic as the time goes on personally.

Yeah, totally get what you mean.

But just as a quick side thought: if you ever are interested in other bands that play music like Versailles, always keep in mind that America aint the only alternative for non-Japanese music. Europe has some great stuff too. Can't forget about all those Norwegian and Swedish bands! ;)

Yeah, totally get what you mean.

But just as a quick side thought: if you ever are interested in other bands that play music like Versailles, always keep in mind that America aint the only alternative for non-Japanese music. Europe has some great stuff too. Can't forget about all those Norwegian and Swedish bands! ;)

Haha I was thinking about Europe too! I was hoping for maybe some French ones... I'm taking a French class in college and struggling big time, I seemed to pick up Japanese pretty quickly through music. I was hoping French would have the same effect!

Lol, is it Japan or America you're talking about?

Europe has the best music, hands down. America hasn't really had any epic bands since the 90's. Most is just commercialized crap. With a few exceptions. Most of Japanese music is crap too, but when they're good, they're really fucking good.

Honestly, I don't know any other band that does romantic classical mixed with metal. Sure, there's a shitload of Symphonic Metal bands, but none of them really sound like Versailles. Similar, but still not even close. Feel free to prove me wrong.

To stay on topic; 99% of heavy VK bands. Oh god, I'm gonna puke if I hear another new Slipknot-wannabe that consists of nothing but B-tuned guitars with ridiculously simple riffs. There's so many of them, most of them are fucking terrible and their songs doesn't require any talent. Yet people fap at them because THEY HAS GRUWLS AND LIKE HEAVY GITARSSS! You guys should listen to european metal, because honestly, most of japanese metal sucks. Especially when they dress up like a bunch of faggots.

Japan should just focus on producing awesome rock bands, because they own every fucking country at that. But please, stay out of metal. Unless you're Anchang or something.

Fuck yeah Europe

Also, I dislike Versailles but I wouldn't say they were particularly overvalued. Although it does irritate me that portions of their fans think because they listen to them, they're suddenly musical geniuses, impressed by two-hour-long solos and couldn't name a better guitarist than Hizaki (or to a lesser extent Teru) if they tried. Perhaps it's the members who are overvalued. Who knows.

Adagio = neo-classical/progressive metal = thousands of times better than Versailles btw

Honestly, I don't know any other band that does romantic classical mixed with metal. Sure, there's a shitload of Symphonic Metal bands, but none of them really sound like Versailles. Similar, but still not even close. Feel free to prove me wrong.

Would have fitted on any random Versailles release.

Versailles' "romantic" image is mostly generated by the clothing anyway. Take it away and you have a pretty decent, but common symphonic metal band. The only aspect in which they somehow differ are the vocals, because a lot of european symphonic metal bands have female vocals. But Kamijos vocals aren't mindblowing anyway, although he did improve quite a bit.

To stay on topic; 99% of heavy VK bands. Oh god, I'm gonna puke if I hear another new Slipknot-wannabe that consists of nothing but B-tuned guitars with ridiculously simple riffs. There's so many of them, most of them are fucking terrible and their songs doesn't require any talent. Yet people fap at them because THEY HAS GRUWLS AND LIKE HEAVY GITARSSS! You guys should listen to european metal, because honestly, most of japanese metal sucks. Especially when they dress up like a bunch of faggots.

<3333333333

Would have fitted on any random Versailles release.

Versailles' "romantic" image is mostly generated by the clothing anyway. Take it away and you have a pretty decent, but common symphonic metal band. The only aspect in which they somehow differ are the vocals, because a lot of european symphonic metal bands have female vocals. But Kamijos vocals aren't mindblowing anyway, although he did improve quite a bit.

That's pretty close, gotta say. But it's still missing those melodies that sound like they were written in 1600 or something. You know those that sound like Bach done metal. It's a huge part in their music and I think that's the main thing that makes them stand out.

Oh, and people talked about Versailles fans. Everytime they have been in Finland, there has been a huge load of regular metalheads there. People do appreciate them for their music. Shallow fangirls are a minority.

Edit: Listening to Agadio - Vamphyri. I'm surprised. I was expecting pointless shredding and sweeping, but they actually had melodies there. The solo in the end was sweeeet. Might check out more of their stuff.

Fuck yeah Europe

Also, I dislike Versailles but I wouldn't say they were particularly overvalued. Although it does irritate me that portions of their fans think because they listen to them, they're suddenly musical geniuses, impressed by two-hour-long solos and couldn't name a better guitarist than Hizaki (or to a lesser extent Teru) if they tried. Perhaps it's the members who are overvalued. Who knows.

Adagio = neo-classical/progressive metal = thousands of times better than Versailles btw

Even with Versailles being my favorite band and being the group that completely changed my outlook on music (I was afraid of metal before listening to them :oops: ), I do partly agree with you. Fan hype does distract people from enjoying certain music, which is unfortunate, but even for people who do like a group, all of the internet drooling can be embarrassing to see. For example, I like D but their page on last.fm makes me cringe as I read the comments. I personally feel that Hizaki's a great musician but there's no doubt in my mind that he wouldn't have as many fans if he looked like every other Asian man. Even though I like their costumes and love their music, some people just need to keep their fan organ in their pants 8=>

I agree with Peace Heavy mk II.

Also I think it's obvious that Hizaki and Teru aren't the best Japanese guitarists in the world, but in the VK scene with br00t@1 bands that play the chords over and over again for the pleasure shallow weaboos , they seem like Guitar Gods with those two hour long solos which are amazing BTW

Also it's kind of obvious that Europeans are going to say they're the best at making music, but IMO every continent has its good bands and bad bands.

Does Africa even have rock bands?

I couldn't name any off the top of my head, but the country South Africa does have a few bands. Don't know about the other nations.

Sign in to follow this