Sign in to follow this  
fitear1590

Fighting Games!

Well, it's time for MH to have its very own FIGHTING GAMES THREAD.

What can I say, it's by far my favorite video game genre. Something about beating the shit out of your friends with flashy attacks and super moves just can't be beat.

The amount of fighting games I have is ridiculous (probably accounts for at least 50% of my gaming collection :( )

Now, I'll highlight my favorite series, as well as some of the more underrated games I enjoy.

NFi01vj5bhk

gBDp9TCfm_8

Virtua Fighter started the entire 3D fighting game phenomenon in 1993, even with the blocky polygonal graphics. However, Virtua Fighter 2 saw some of the best graphics of the time. That game and its successor, Virtua Fighter 3 are probably my favorites. Even though VF3 came out on the Dreamcast, it was ahead of its time graphically and even featured interactive stages, where fighters could be hit into walls and fall off ledges or into water. I believe this was the first fighting game to make really interesting stages. Plus, something about the cheesy 90's keyboard soundtracks that Sega produced just get me every time. I didn't play VF4 as much for some reason and I'm ashamed to say I haven't even picked up VF5! I know the game is renown for being probably the most technical 3D fighter. Maybe I'll download the new VF5: Final Showdown that recently came out.

My usual characters are Pai, Lion, and Aoi.

kj2LcyUWuTc

EIpJlqKX890

I'll be honest, I was not a fan of Tekken when it first came out. Coming out just after VF2, the game was pretty ugly looking and the gameplay had nothing on Virtua Fighter. The button configuration was pretty innovative with there being 4 buttons, 1 for each of the arm and leg limbs. However, by about Tekken 3 and Tekken Tag Tournament, the game really got better and stopped feeling as clunky, imo. Though not as technical as Virtua Fighter (a good thing for most players), Tekken does feature lots of moves and lots of characters. I'd say juggling and combos are emphasized more in this game. Additionally, Namco was famous for adding LOTS of gameplay modes including Survival, Time Attack, some form of Adventure Mode (like Tekken Force Mode) and even fun mini games like Tekken Ball and Tekken Bowl. Just this week, Tekken Tag Tournament 2 came out and it feels like just about every character in the series' existence is playable (over 50 characters!)

My usual characters are Xiaoyu, Yoshimitsu/Kunimistu, Jun/Asuka/, and Kuma/Panda.

Logo.png

BTe5hH3EZVg

Stve-cDMCag

Dead or Alive started out as a Virtua Fighter 2 clone

, with the exception of a few things. Instead of a block button, a hold/counter button was used. Additionally, instead of the usual ringouts, the ring was surrounded by an explosive "danger zone" which inflicted additional damage, if you were to fall. HOWEVER, what the series has become infamous for is the fact the female characters were extremely objectified in this series. There was literally a "Bouncing Breast" on/off option in the first game. Dead or Alive 2 threw out the traditional danger zones, in exchange for more interactive stages (like VF3, but more) allowing you to kick people off of buildings, through fences and into other obstacles. The game's 3D movement is more fluid than other games, so you can travel around stages (or be knocked around) much more than in other games. You won't likely be in one area for a whole match. The game gets a lot of flack for its fan-service (I'll admit, it can get ridiculous at times), but I think the gameplay and stages really deserve respect. Later this month, Dead or Alive 5 is coming out. The gameplay strives to be very exciting and "action movie"-esque, really exaggerating stage interaction. Perhaps even more exciting, three Virtua Fighter characters will guest star in the game (Akira, Sarah, and Pai). I'm really looking forward to how they'll be implemented into another fighting game!

My usual characters are Ayane, Eliot/Gen-Fu, and Hitomi/Ein. But I'll definitely be using Pai in this new one!

Street_fighter_logo.png

r_RRFomczB8

7XAH0xpsDtY

Probably the king of 2D fighters! My first fighting game ever was Super Street Fighter II for the Sega Genesis (Megadrive). My favorite games in the series are probably that and Street Fighter Alpha 3. I was a fan of the fairly recent SF IV as well, but I'm not very good, haha. I didn't have the money to check out all the updates to SF IV, so I'm probably missing out on the new characters and tweaks.

My usual characters are Ryu and Sakura.

8oHg8xi06oU

-E3XeU32qWw

I played the original Soul Blade in arcades, but it was slow and clunky like Tekken. Then, by some miracle, Soul Calibur was released for Dreamcast in 1999 with some of the best graphics of the time. What makes this game special is obviously the use of weapons-based combat, instead of hand-to-hand (or hand-to-fireball). Soul Calibur 2 and 3 further improved the core gameplay, adding more characters and more in-depth single-player modes. Not to mention, SC always has a great soundtrack. The most recent game I've played is Soul Calibur IV for the Xbox 360 and it is beautiful looking. For whatever reason, Yoda and Darth Vader are guest players! Didn't have a chance to play SC5, but according to reviews, some found it disappointing.

My usual characters are Xianghua/Hwang, Seung-Mina/Kilik, Lizardman/Cassandra

VS. series:

-MarHk64UR0

-pZLWYckwi4

I also enjoy the crossover titles like Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter, Marvel vs. Capcom, Capcom vs. SNK, etc. Sometimes they get a bit too chaotic and just turn into "who can use the most super moves first," but as long as you're not playing a button-masher, they're pretty cool games. Marvel vs. Campcom 3 was a welcome sequel, because it was getting annoying having Capcom reuse the SAME 2D sprites over and over to make each new iteration of the game. I mean, Morrigan still had her 1994 graphics in Marvel vs. Capcom 2! It also seems like they balanced the game more having plenty of potentially good characters, rather than just having TONS of characters and only 5 of them are actually good. I have yet to try out Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, but it looks like it could be a quality game and Gawd knows that the Wii could use more fighting games. Plus, I actually own Street Fighter x Tekken, but I've only played it twice... I guess I should try that one out more!

Now, for some of the more underrated fighters I like:

Imagefm-logo.jpg

66NDhaUZc2U

RF8o2wE0Xjk

Fighting Vipers was developed by the creators of Virtua Fighter, but featured faster, less technical gameplay and more importantly, armored characters and walled-in levels. If characters took too much damage and received a critical hit, their armor would fly off and they'd be even more vulnerable. The game featured a standard thrashy and hardcore soundtrack and had some of the most gawdy 90's-tastic characters ever, haha. Additionally, the Fighting Vipers characters were also featured in a VF crossover game called Fighters Megamix, including some other very RANDOM Sega cameos. Even though the Saturn is hardly remembered these days, this was really a fun game. Maybe some of you remember it in arcades at least? An even less well-known sequel, Fighting Vipers 2, was released in Japan and Europe for the Dreamcast. This game is also pretty good!

X7-b0Jve_jY

Power Stone and Power Stone 2 was released by Capcom for the Dreamcast. The game is not your average fighter. Instead of one-on-one fighting focused on landing hits, the game was almost a fighting game/platformer combo. Characters ran around interactive stages collecting 3 large crystals ("Power Stones") to transform into their super-self, all the while picking up/throwing or utilizing other items and weapons (laser guns, flame throwers, magic wands, etc). The game was made even more unique by being a TRULY 3D game. Whereas Super Smash Bros. has a similar concept, the game is played on a 2D plane; Power Stone is totally 3D. Power Stone 2 really upped the antics having totally interactive stages that required you to move around and of course more items. It made for some of the funnest multiplayer ever! A shame that no Power Stone 3 seems to be in the works...

Obviously, I left out plenty of games, but this has taken long enough to write, haha.

Discuss whatever fighting games series that you own/ are into, which games you dislike, favorite characters, 2D vs 3D fighters, etc.

Be sure to post videos or screenshots whenever you can, just because that makes it more fun!

Fighting games are super fun. Especially when versing your friends. Though recently I've been into a lot of shooter games. I haven't played that many games in the fighting style, except for the Marvel Vs. Capcom or all the other cross overs they do. I've played some D.O.A but mostly just stick to the Marvel Vs. The last one I bought was the Marvel vs. Capcom 3. And I agree, it was really enjoyable. I just hate how they released a newer updated version with new characters less than a year after its release for 30 bucks.

Kinda interested in the new D.O.A 5.

JwB1xhVVb9s

I'm not really into video games anymore because I don't have the time/money. But I used to play a lot and I loved fighting games. I liked Tekken, Street Fighter, Soul Calibur (Also Soul Blade/Edge), but I particularly loved this game called Rival Schools:

VWWHIQpc4JY

2SoN9G_Iz54

I also loved the great Bloody Roar, specially the second one

XweLAaq37kg

Man, I really loved those transformations xDD

@Pandabear, I agree with what you said about MvC 3. I'm fine with updates to video games, I understand they want to enhance them sometimes. BUT NOT WITHIN THE SAME YEAR and for that much money. I mean, they could have just let you download the new characters and stages for 10 bucks or something... I don't think the gameplay was tweaked enough to warrant a brand new game disc for people to buy, especially when a lot of us already had the original MvC 3.

@CaRaN, two fun series! I actually never played Rival Schools for PlayStation, but I played (and love) the sequel for Dreamcast, inexplicably called Project Justice. Really funny characters that embody all the high school cliques and stereotypes. Plus those team attacks are great.

MKtEPUA5Mw0

I think it's time for the PS3/XBOX 360 to make some new sequels for Rival Schools and Bloody Roar!

I didn't know about that sequel =O Maybe it's because I never had a Dreamcast. It really looks great *__* and yeah those teams attacks are just dope, loved them.

I think it's time for the PS3/XBOX 360 to make some new sequels for Rival Schools and Bloody Roar!

If they did that I might even consider buying them!!!

SO many memories from this thread, leaves me teary :(

My fave have always been Tekken.

Also why Mortal Kombat is not included here?

King Of Fighters and Fatal Fury, too~!

Oh also i enjoyed playing Capcom VS Marvel.

@Candy Warhol,

I actually didn't like Mortal Kombat that much, haha. The fatalities were funny, but the button combinations in that game made no sense to me! But idk, I haven't really played since MK 3.

King of Fighters is good though! My friend got me the newest one, KOF XIII, but it hasn't arrived yet.

Which MK and KOF games do you like the most?

@Sakura Seven,

Guilty Gear (and BlazBlue) have really excellent 2D graphics and I admire them for that. Unfortunately, I've only gotten a chance to play Guilty Gear a few times. And have you heard of the new game, Persona 4 Arena (I believe it's made by the same developers as Guilty Gear). It has pretty good reviews.

vJxmmiwHQ-0

Nice to know theres people that love fighters in this forum. But im more of a 2d fighter, practically played all of them and I love the retro ones especially. I love so many, and I can probably own people in many of the games ;) I would like to mention the best versus series for me is Capcom vs SNK 2. That game is just too awesome!!!! Music, Character, stages and gameplay is just too good! Definetely hoping they would make a 3rd one and to keep it 2d. Fuck 3d graphics on 2d fighters hahah

2ciiczc.jpg

There is a lot of good fighting/versus games. My favorite are Mortal Kombat (2/3/9), Soul Calibur (3), Blazblue, Guilty Gear Rival School and Bloody Roar. I think that Street Fighter and Tekken are way too mainstream and are overestimated. Sure Street Fighter 2 or Tekken 3 were very good but now it's like they're just releasing a new Tekken/SF for the money and nothing else =/

As no one showed any Blazblue vid, here is a little one :

dMYYpufDdh8

I REALLY wanna try Persona 4: Arena. I'm a huge Persona fan. I still haven't played BlazBlue, but I heard it isn't as fast-paced as Guilty Gear so I'm not all that interested. Like Tekken or something.

Not huge fan but my friend REALLY likes Mortal Kombat series so those games I have played, it's OK fun with a friend I guess. Blazblue is other one I kinda like, I guess I might wanna test that Persona arena game since somewhat familiar with persona 4 anyway so might be fun :P.

o fuck yes Rival Schools and Bloody Roar 2

Anyone else ehre like Darkstalkers btw or am I alone again? :<

Anyone else ehre like Darkstalkers btw or am I alone again? :

I used to play that in arcades from time to time! And I actually just received a bundle of Sega Saturn games in the mail 2 weeks ago and one of the games is a JP import of Darkstalkers 3 (AKA "Vampire Savior"). The game requires the use of a 4MB RAM cartridge (that plugs into the back of the Saturn) in order to have 2D animation that is on par with the arcade release. Supposedly, most Saturn ports of such 2D fighters were more faithful to the original arcade releases than say, the Playstation ones.

Although, I must say I was surprised when I opened up the character select and B.B. Hood and Hsien-Ko were known as Bulleta and Lei-Lei respectively, haha.

i0DOgZOqKs0

Even if a lot of people don't know much about the Darkstalkers series itself, I think a lot of people are at least familiar with Morrigan and Felicia, due to all their guest appearances in various the crossover games.

The only fighting game I still play is BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend for the PS3. I used to play a lot of Mortal Kombat on the SNES. I never big into the whole 3D fighting ones but Soul Calibur 2 for the Gamecube is the only exception.

I love Vampire Savior! The unique stages and awesome soundtrack just to much to crave for. I only pick Lei Lei because I kick ass with her!

I love to watch high level gameplay of this game, but sadly there are only few to watch. Not a very hyped game around the the world.

-fA9pA78p-0

Yeah, it's sadly underrated, even though the characters are all really cool

except for Demitri. I think I'm the only one who dislikes him.

I absolutely love the Tekken games up through 5. I played Tekken 5 for hundreds of hours at least. Soul Calibur 4 is another favorite. I never was a fan of Dead or Alive.

Guest lynchisizer

soulcalibur 3 and super smash bros brawl are my favorite fighting games ^.^

I am honestly trying to get into Tekken, but it takes years of training to become a good player. Watching all these Japanese and Korean guys makes me want to throw my controller down six stories. 

^ LMAO. I know that feel, their level is just insane... But personally it kinda makes me want to improve until I've reached their level (even if I know that it's impossible with the time I have).

In my case, I play to Tekken games since I'm a kid. I started with Tekken 3 and played (almost) all that has been released till now. I can't even say how much time I have spent playing to Tekken 3, I couldn't get enough of that game. Things are different now but I still love it, and Tekken is THE fighting game above any other IMO. Currently I'm playing to the latest one on PS3, TTT2. I'm not ashamed to say that my level is comparable to a horse dung. lol

That said, there are some fighting games that I played till now.

I used to play so much to Bloody Roar 3 on PS2. That game was such a beast, probably one of the few fighting games that I really enjoyed along with Tekken, Mortal Kombat : Deadly Alliance and SoulCalibur. SoulCalibur must be my 2nd favorite fighting game, that game is really good and the latest one (SoulCalibur V) was nice. Deadly Alliance was the only Mortal Kombat game that I've ever played and the first time I gave it a try I've been amazed. It was insanely awesome, fucking enjoyable game.

What else...? I also played a lot to Dead or Alive 4 on X360. A cool game but nothing special and I could say the same thing about Virtua Fighter 5. 

I never achieved to get into Street Fighter even if I think it's a good fighting game, I'm not too fond of it even if I enjoy playing Super Street Fighter IV when I have some free time... The ones released on PS1 were good too.

just got shrek superslam and Love it (who needs super smash bros) deadrose reminded me to get teken tag too and i did. It's soo sad that bloodyraor 4 is like $5 like themm ughh so expensive. I was thinking of also going back into soul calibur 3 and beating the make your own charater thing. (i was on the part where the dude has the nightmare sword, the end i think).

also i find that now that im older it's not as hard with games. ughhh i really want bloody roar though. Just playing taken tag and shrek superslam now.

PS2 FOR THE WIN!... (i wish bleach res was on here tho)

Thought it'd be cool to revive this thread, as I love fighting games and it'd be cool to discuss with y'all. 

I have a new hobby and it's watching Tekken 7 tournaments on youtube. I find them to be pretty addictive, the guys are so damn good. 

Shit gets so intense as the rounds go. Enjoyed watching this so much! Both the players and the commentators are incredible at their jobs.

This one is pretty cool too. 

I've only really played Soul Calibur (2 and up) but it is far and away my favorite video game series.

Sign in to follow this