^ Uhhh I guess you misunderstood me.

Ofcourse they're exhausted, but what I meant was that you couldn't SEE they were and that is, for me, something really cool, if they can pull of shows like that all the time even if they're tired.

Btw really getting tired of all the Anette hate :/

There's still Anette hate? I actually love Anette's voice and the truth is that after Oceanborn Tarja was toning down the operatic vocals and going for the more mainstream singing approach anyway, so I have a feeling that Nightwish was going to be headed in their current direction whether or not Tarja was still in the band. Anette's just got more of a focus on strength whilst Tarja was range. Two different styles of singing and two different approaches compositionally to suit that.

It's funny that I side on Anette with this because when it comes to Tristania I desperately want Vibeke back and I do not like Mariangela AT ALL. It's the same with Sirenia and Fabienne Gondamin or Henriette Bordvik. It's not that they're bad singers at all...it's just that neither Ailyn nor Mariangela can hold a candle to Vibeke/Fabienne/Henriette. As long as they're in the bands that once made near-classic albums, they will ALWAYS be compared. It just can't be helped. The same rule applies to Nightwish.

Nightwish was always closest to the poppier side when compared to all of their contemporaries so making the switch to a more commercial vocalist wasn't as big of a stretch for them. It worked successfully for them too but I suppose that has something to do with them doing it first and not having to make as big of a compositional shift. It feels like every other gothic metal band is trying to trod the same path and they're all failing miserably. You can't put out an album like Widow's Weeds, Beyond the Veil, World of Glass or At Sixes and Sevens and expect me to sit back and take something like Rubicon. The contrast is too high. They almost sound like they're playing an entirely different genre.

That and Sirenia changes vocalists every other week and they just get progressively worse. Their new album was GARBAGE.

At that level, I can definitely understand at least partially where a lot of the older fans come in with their preference for Tarja. They don't have to shit on Anette to state their preference for the previous singer though. I don't shit on Mariangela because I don't hate her personally. I just don't listen to Rubicon and I mentally consider Tristania disbanded - the period of them making the type of music I like has long passed so there's no reason to hope they'll come back. Same with Sirenia and whatever other band happens to fall into the same boat as they do.

Too much tangential discussion, so I'll shift it back to Nightwish before I end. For all the hype the older fans give Tarja, she was downright annoying to listen to sometimes. Too much soprano can be a bad thing and it usually sounds like she floats on top of the music and sings over it instead of singing with it. Anette meshes more even if she hits more bad notes. She's had three years to get some vocal training and get comfortable with the band, so I'm expecting much more out of her this time around. I think that's fair to expect of her.

^

Yes, as it might sound surprising, there still is. I noticed it today when I was on last.fm looking for that one Nightwish picture where they are dressed as pilots and Anette as a flight attendant. While browsing through the pictures I saw in the the comments:

"Leave her in China!"

"They should kill her!"

"She's a bitch!"

"She can't sing!"

"She's awful live!"

You probably can imagine some other stuff being written there. I was incredibly surprised how people could write stuff like that, seeing half of it isn't even true. I had the pleasure of seeing a Nightwish live once and Anette made a very strong impression on me, both as a vocalist and a performer. I don't think people who write this realise that if the band themselves would read this stuff, they would be incredibly disappointed. The band had a long thought about this and they didn't choose Anette for nothing. It's really childish how even after 6 years they still can't keep their shit together.

It's Internet anonymity that allows people to say those kinds of things. Each person tries to one up the person that comes next by saying something even more horrible until you get to the level where if their mothers found out they'd be waxing their asses until it shone ruby red. I've got no problem with people saying "hey I've liked this band back in the days". I do that with plenty of bands myself. I just don't say awful things about the band now other than that they're disappointing and I don't like their new sound. If it was just left at that I think the last.fm Nightwish shoutbox wouldn't be such a massive circlejerk.

I also think the band knows that their choice wasn't the most popular and therefore they don't invest any thought into what "fans" say. People that say things like that aren't even fans anyway, so if I were around Tuomas I would tell him to not get his feelings too hurt.

I think Tuomas knows what is going on. If I were in a band like that and would make such a change in singers, I knew I'd get over the top critics. Tuomas does seem like a really nice guy who really likes his fans though. I was standing at the front during the concert and somehow I ended up in front of the keyboard. Waved and smiled a few times at him, seeing if I would get a response. He waved back multiple times and I got many smiles in return. The other members were really busy with the audience as well, so it's not that they don't care for the fans.

I also agree on your comment. Saying you don't like their new style isn't bad at all, but seeing that shoutbox just makes me depressed in the Nightwish fanbase. But like you said, they're probably not fans anyway.

Nucler Blast's very own Mailorder Edition includes a third CD with one track, Rest Calm in its demo version with Marco Hietala on vocals alone

.. AND a very special mirror.

f6562c8c121fe39aea0f87f3c4133daf.jpg

18636a27dc7368d00235adeec5472da5.jpg

70€ + shipping costs. like whoa.

The price seems about right... if you like that mirror. It's truly a unique item and I'm pretty sure you would pay a lot for that if it happened to be sold seperately.

I heard some people who have already listened to the album. I can't wait to hear it myself.

I can hear all the work she's been putting in for the last few years. This single sounds like it's going to be interesting. Before I knew it, I already listened to it three times.

I never did understand why they staggered release dates like that though.

that awkward moment when you realize you miss Tarja no more, huh? :)

Dude, that was such a long time ago for me XD

But Anette is starting to shine! DPP sounds more like a transitional album the more I listen to Storytime! Extra amped for the album now.

no different :)

but of course, since DPP (double pussy penetration, kekeke) was recorded before Anette shown up.

now for Imaginaerum, it was totally written considering Anette's abilities.

I'm telling you - this is gonna be EPIC.

and I think I will be able to answer your question about release dates tomorrow.

I never really missed Tarja to be honest, because I found Anette to be a great substitute. Even though her style is completely different, I love Anette's voice, so for me it was an instant like.

Talking about release dates, isn't this set for December 2nd?

Also, in love with the preview! I really like this creepy, dark fairytale style they're doing in the music video (Anette kind of creeps me out though). The vocals are very good, the instruments sound really weird and creepy as well which is a huge plus for me. It's like what the GazettE tried with THE SUICIDE CIRCUS, but failed.

2 sai

I've listed all of the release dates two pages back, check them out.

the second single off Imaginaerum will be The Crow, The Owl And The Dove due in February.

.. and they'll release The Heart Asks Pleasure First as a b-side.

^So am I. I really like the theme for this album, so that's another huge plus!

Funny thing is that the opening shot of the preview of Storyline is a kind of gothic circus with mirrors, creepy clowns and a young boy. I drew that for a drawing assignment back in high school a year back. Really strange how this suddenly shows up in my favourite non-Japanese band :P

That's 4 more days! It goes on sale in Finland November 9th, so it'll probably have a rip before the rest of Europe gets its release.