Tarja looks like a complete bitch in the picture on the first page and, from what I've heard about her leaving the band, she is one too.

I haven't listened to every song they've released and I don't really plan on listening to anything beyond the 7 or 8 songs I bought off of iTunes. I fell in love with "Amaranth" on the first listen, and "Bye Bye Beautiful" as well. "Escapist" is pretty good too, but I don't really enjoy it when their bassist sings the whole song, like in "Master Passion Greed."

I don't hate Tarja's voice. I really like a few songs off of the Once album, but from what I've read on the interwebz, a lot of their earlier work is repetitive / boring like most of Within Temptations' albums (first time through I couldn't get myself to like any songs on Mother Earth).

If you ask me there's no doubt that Once is the best music-wise, but it is sadly ruined by Tarja's horrible vocals. It's a shame, because Once is the closest they ever was to a epic film score, minus a very few poppy songs that was made to get people buy the album. But the only albums I can listen to from night wish is Dark Passion Play which also is rather film scored-ish, but far from as good as Once, and Angels Fall First where Tarja lacks a lot, which actually makes it listenable. The fact that she didn't know how to handle her voice too good was what made her listenable. At least she had emotions back then.

But I gotta admit that I never listen to Nightwish anymore. Maybe once (lulz!) every year or something.

And Within Temptation is nice. Or, Enter is nice and Mother Earth is decent. Everything after is pure garbage.

^ It's the same with me. But well, I haven't never liked Nightwish that much. Once I saw them live with Tarja, and the second time was with this new vocalist, who is the other of these two, who sucks. Years ago (with Tarja) they did... ok music, but I don't know, somehow when this new vocalis came, the band didn't have that much of charisma. I know, that their music haven't changed that much (Tuomas still makes their music) but when that girl came around, they SOMEHOW started to change more "poppish", ehich I don't know and understand.

And really, Tarja's "new career" sucks, completely.

Nightwish has started recording their new album....well at least the drums

this is from Jukka

"After spending an intensive summer camp on Finnish countryside and putting a final touch to the demo, we started recording the drums for our next album. We gathered together yesterday and set up the drums and all the recording devices. Today was mostly spent just perfecting the sounds. Just like with our last album we got some back-up from Mr. Kai Hahto (Swallow The Sun & Wintersun), who is known to be able to conjure godly sounds by tuning the drums. The legendary duet of Mikko Karmila and TeeCee Kinnunen are taking care of the engineering again. Tonight ended with a complete take of the first song, so the recording session has now officially started! Jihaa!

Cheers,

Jukka"

Wintersun is good. Just had to plug that in for them.

Anyway, it's good to see that they're getting ready to put out something else. I'm glad they're taking their time with their music *coughcoughincomparisontoVKBANDScoughcough* when it comes to crafting, recording and releasing material. I'm awaiting a better vocal performance from Annette and just a more cohesive unit as a whole. Now that they've had time to bond I think they can be a more tight knit group than they were with Tarja.

Also must second Mono2's comment on Tarja. When she didn't have as much power behind her voice (Angels Fall First and Oceanborn) the band was very enjoyable. Then around Wishmaster - Once she started to pack power with her voice and instead of meshing with the band she just...floated on top of them. There were very few songs where her vocals actually fit well with the music. I don't actually mind Annette at all. Her voice isn't as bombastic as Tarja's so old school fans aren't used to vocals and music meshing together (which is probably what they describe as poppy) but we gave her time so now she has to show us she's improved a lot. I heard her vocal range is now a soprano so maybe we're in for some surprises this album.

Once is one of their best albums in my opinion. First I was disappointed with Dark Passion Play, but it grew on me. I'm kind of curious for the new album in 2011.

Quite curious for the album as well, though I must say I enjoy Tarja's Solowork a lot.

Anyway, anyone heard the song Anette did with "The Rasmus"?

‎"Finnish symphonic metal band Nightwish have decided to take their orchestral influences even further by creating a movie to compliment the album. This project is set to release in 2012 and the shootings will begin this spring. The name for the album and movie will be Imaginarium."

/day

Oceanborn era still remains my favorite and Once comes second, but I didn't think Dark Passion Play was that bad. I liked Century Child the least out of everything they've ever release because the loudness war hampered that record hardcore for me. Still looking forward to Imaginaerum though.

I've preordered my own copy of Imaginaerum. this is going to be epic.

got too much excited while reading through a number of previews.

the wait is killing me.

It's been so long since their last album release! When is it to be released?

Storytime single release dates:

2011.11.09 - Finland

2011.11.11 - the rest of Europe

Imaginaerum release dates:

2011.11.30 - Finland

2011.12.02 - the rest of Europe

2012.01.06 - Australia

2012.01.10 - US

2012.01.11 - Japan

2012.01.16 - New Zealand

tracklisting:

CD1

01. Taikatalvi (02:36)

02. Storytime (05:22)

03. Ghost River (05:25)

04. Slow, Love, Slow (05:51)

05. I Want My Tears Back (05:08)

06. Scaretale (07:32)

07. Arabesque (02:52)

08. Turn Loose The Mermaids (04:19)

09. Rest Calm (06:59)

10. The Crow, The Owl And The Dove (04:10)

11. Last Ride Of The Day (04:31)

12. Song Of Myself (13:30)

13. Imaginaerum (06:18)

CD2 (Digipak & Limited Edition only)

The whole album as an instrumental

official web-store:

http://presales.nwshop.fi/

Imaginaerum mailorder edition available for preordering at Nuclear Blast web-store:

54506001cc34a6716e52c17ec9be4202.jpg

Another looks to be the longest Nightwish song yet, being close to 20 minutes and especially influenced by poet Walt Whitman.

So where's that 19 minute song Tuomas? YOU LIED.

Also, both Imaginaerum and Arabesque are instrumentals? Want. Last of the Wilds was amazing!

no he didn't.

in one of the earlier interviews he said that he may divide the 20-minute epic into two separate tracks, but he wasn't sure. he ended up with dividing it into Song Of Myself and Imaginaerum.

and yeah, Imaginaerum and Arabesque are instrumentals.

reviewers say that I Want My Tears Back sounds way more like Last Of The Wilds than other tracks. this includes Troy Donockley with his uillean pipes.

Slow, Love, Slow is a jazz track.

originally album was to be titled Imaginarium, but they had to slightly change it 'cause of some copyright issues.

Can't wait for it <3 Totally in love with them again (haven't listened to them in a while) so currently I can't stop playing Dark Passion Play. The Islander is an amazing ballad.

And lol @ Tuomas, no matter how weird the guy is, he's a musical genius. I remember seeing them live in '09 and they were playing 'The Siren' (a song that wasn't very well liked/known) and I loved how everybody went silent because they didn't know the lyrics, and I was the only one synching along xDDDD. I pretty much stood very close to Tuomas' boat (YA REALLY, A BOAT) at that time and he looked so proud I was the only one knowing the lyrics :lol:

it was a half of a boat :)

I've seen them live in 2009 too. that was way too awesome. I totally love Anette.

by the way, Pain as a warming up band was great too.

5000 people shouting together, 'SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!!!11' was like WOW.

Yeah it was the '09 Europe Tour! I really liked the gig, kinda weird to see Anette with blond hair though xDDD. Pain was pretty cool, but Indica wasn't half bad either.

I really lol'd when they showed the stage. I was like: a boat? Seriously?!

no he didn't.

in one of the earlier interviews he said that he may divide the 20-minute epic into two separate tracks, but he wasn't sure. he ended up with dividing it into Song Of Myself and Imaginaerum.

Ah! Well then I suppose that makes more sense, especially for live settings. I can imagine playing The Poet and the Pendulum is hell already.

I was thinking in terms of the length of the song. Playing a 14 minute song on top of a 20 minute song would be crazy on the endurance. I don't think I could do it if I were in a band :x I suppose they could split it up, but in my mind it's always meant to be seen as one long song and works best in that context.

btw, I love The Poet and the Pendulum. IMO best track on DPP by far.

well, they're definitely not X Japan right?

I mean Art Of Life contains about 15 minutes of pure blastbeat while The Poet And The Pendulum is just a mix of 3-4 minute long easy-to-play songs. the song is absolutely not hard to do live. even I could do it.

and I love Last Of The Wilds more :)

The Poet and the Pendulum was amazing live, and they kept doing it perfectly through all of it. I don't think these guys would be worn out much, because I notice these guys have a lot of fun while playing live.