Old Nightwish

wall_nightwish1.jpg

New Nightwish

nightwish2.jpg

symphonic power metal musical group, formed in 1996 in the

town of Kitee, in eastern Finland. Nightwish is considered one of the bands responsible for the development and rise in popularity of symphonic metal at the end of the 1990s, and the creation of the symphonic metal genre.

Although the band has been prominent in their home country since the release of their first single, "The Carpenter" (1997) and debut album Angels Fall First, they did not achieve worldwide fame until the release of the albums Oceanborn and Wishmaster, which were released in 1998 and 2000 respectively. Their 2004 album, Once, led to Nightwish video clips being shown on MTV in the United States and inclusion of their music in U.S. movie soundtracks. Their biggest U.S. hit single, "Wish I Had an Angel" (2004), made it onto two U.S. film soundtracks as a means to promote their North American tour. The band produced three more singles and two music videos for the album, as well as "Sleeping Sun", from the 2005 "best of" compilation album, Highest Hopes, prior to vocalist Tarja Turunen's dismissal.

The search for Turunen's replacement, during the course of which anyone could be considered by submitting a demo, ended in mid 2007. The former Alyson Avenue frontwoman Anette Olzon was revealed to be the new singer on May 24. The band recently released a new album, Dark Passion Play, which features the charity single "Eva", the single "Amaranth", and the single "Bye Bye Beautiful" on September 28, 2007.

OHP | last.fm

One of my fave bands ever :3

I was shocked when Tarja got fired from the band, but I have decided that Anette is not that bad after all.

Even though she is a Swede. Brr.

Here's few video clips.

First, the old Nightwish:

Nemo ~ Nightwish

Sleeping Sun ~ Nightwish

New Nightwish::

Oh, I would appreciate opinions about the band.

I think that Anette is better singer than Tarja (i'm not so keen on Tarja's opera sound) but her voice is not as unique as Tarja's. I'm not really a fan of old nightwish (I only like some songs). The new nightwish is more for me ^^

(Rajalliset enkun taidot, pakko käyttää Suomea, lol. Aneten tyyli ei sovi (minusta) hevibändiin, ainakaa kovin hyvin. Esim. toisella niistä musavideosta sil on legginssit ja lenkkarit :''D Ja se ruotsalaisuus :/)

A good band indeed, funny enough i just downloaded their discography the other day because i forgot all about them until recently, my friend showed me them last year and of course they sounded good.

(Eij haittaa ^^ Mutta nytkun sanoit niin kattelin niitä sen vaatteita kauheella inholla kun töllötettiin voicea koko viikko .. )

And yeah, that "uniqueness" has given Tarja somewhat irreplaceable status, and that makes it even harder for Anette to take her place.

I must say that I'm a HUGE fan of the old nightwish, but thanks to my amazing taste with music (almost everything goes) I think I can bear Anette.

At least if they'll release a better and more Anette-friendly album.

@Kazupi

: D You just downloaded it! Just when they have gone worse. Or are just trying to get back to their feets >:3

Oh well, you have loads of "unheard" good songs to listen~!

I'm gonna be honest, even though I don't really like Nightwish too much. But I have honestly yet to hear any band do anything as epic as The Poet And The Pendulum. The intro to that song is just insane.

I like the new album (:

Anette's voice doesn't stand out like Tarja's but I think it's still good. I was surprised.

Tha guys are awesome. Especially Marco. He's my favorite :'D ("Ottakaa toisianne kädeistä kiinni ja sanokaa 'Sä oot ihku!'" <3 xD)

And that Anette is Swedish...There's always this Finland agains Sweden and the other way round. It makes me laugh.

But anyway :D

I'm glad I got to see them couple of times when Tarja was there.

@Prism I hope insane in a good way xD

I love Marco too! XD

My friend hates him (aina valittaa sen "karjumisesta") but I think he is just so great!

And yeah, the new album wasn't that bad, and I hope the next one will be better!

Marcon karjumiset tekee biiseistä parempia mun mielestä :D I love the songs where Marco sings (or roars/growls what u want to call it xD)

Todellakin. Uudelta albumilta the Islander oli niin merirosvo/marcomainen kun vaan olla voi : D

Absolutely. From the new album the song Islander was so pirate/marco-like as anything can be : D

just look at his hair and beard D:

He's like a stereotypical viking <3

I personally prefer Tarja's voice but still, Anette is a nice singer.

I'm so happy I got to see them live before Tarja left the band, they sounded epic ><

I'm a fan of old Nightwish. Oceanborn has to be my favorite release from them. That said, I don't understand what everyone (not here, obviously) has against Anette. She could use some vocal lessons, but she's taking them. She's "off-key" live, but so are most vocalists. She can't sing? Subjective. I think she sounds bearable.

Tuomas finished up writing all the songs for the new album a month or so ago and the band's in the studio recording. This is good news. Hopefully Anette's improved a lot.

I prefer Anette aswell. And I honestly can't stand Tarja. Musically I thought DPP was miles better than before too, with The Poet And The Pendulum being the best song they've ever done IMO. And as much as I like him, I hope they don't focus on Marco for vocals as much as they did on DPP. I find Anette excellent on record and I hope she gets pushed further in the next album. People are always gonna go "I miss Tarja!!11!1!1!" but I hope at least some aren't as quick to judge now that she's not the newbie anymore. Fat chance, I know. Though I noticed one or two did warm up to her a bit once Escapist came about.

Agreed on both the parts about The Poet and the Pendulum and Marco. I'm going to confuse a lot of people with this, but The Poet and the Pendulum was the first Nightwish song I ever heard and DPP was the first album I got. I have yet to find anything with Tarja that does indeed equal what that song is full of. The Siren comes close but it just doesn't unfold the same way.

Also, I thought the weakest track on the last album was Master Passion Greed. Something about Marco's voice was off. Not good enough really. Also, hearing Reach and Cadence of her Last Breath with him on vocals just reminds me that he's good as support but doesn't sell it when he's up at the front all the time (obv. Islander is an exception). He's good when he duets and when he throws in a scream here and there but otherwise I want him in the back on the bass. But that's just my preferences :P

yea i agree with Dark Passion Play being their best album and it has sold the most out of all of their releases anyways lol

and Poet and the Pendelum is amazing i normally cant listen to really long songs without losing interest but that song is just too amazing

Used to love them before I found VK. The guitar sounds so weak compared to VK stuff. First I loved the old Nightwish, because I loved Tarja's voice. Now I don't have a preference, though when I listen to Nightwish (what's very often) I usually listen to their more recent songs. Saw them in concert too, that was pretty cool. Still, their keyboard guy creeps me out

oooww! nightwish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'll just say this... i like the current singer but, Tarja come baaaaaack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oooww! nightwish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'll just say this... i like the current singer but, Tarja come baaaaaack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i find Nightwish to be better off without Tarja

and Tarja is better off without them

Oceanborn is my favourite release of them, but I don't really like Tarja that much. Annete is a great singer, but this sopran-voice fits better to Nightwish, I think. :/

I listen to Tarja's solo, too, but after that I read this letter from Tuomas, Marco, Emppu and Jukka to her, she seemed way more dislikeable to me.

Anyway, it's mostly about the music, and I love their music. :3