Sign in to follow this  
pinkmakona

What has happened to Oshare Kei?

JUST WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO OSHARE KEI? It doesn't seem to really exist anymore. I can't think of that many active Oshare Kei bands. Plus the number of new bands, arriving that choose to be Oshare Kei are low. The Oshare Kei scene has much less bands than it used to:

Classic examples of Oshare Kei bands:

tumblr_m9c3c56t021rcxdzjo1_500.jpg

4711728d8e29d&filename=%ED%9E%88%EB%A9%94%EC%9D%B4%EC%B9%98%EA%B3%A0.jpg

oshare-kei-391173221d.jpg

90380.jpg

256648.png

Just what has happened to bands like these? :(

What does everyone here think?

Well the darker style is more popular and there's more money in it sadly

They tend to grow up or something maybe?

Besides, oshare bands has never been together for long. That´s a law.

About the age thing. RINNE (ex. WITH SEXY), is in a Oshare Kei band, MILKY EMILY. He is in his 40's.

Well, oshare emerged after vk was "dead" (early 2000s), and now everyone is just neo visual. I'm pretty sure in several years the fruity contrasting colors will come back in style. Trends, trends.

"now everyone is just neo visual" - exactly

Oshare had many cool bands with different styles and sounds throughout its lifespan, but that's fading away, and very few newer bands actually even refer to themselves as Oshare. Even bands today that follow Oshare's main characteristics of happy upbeat pop music with vibrant colors usually refer to themselves as visual kei instead of oshare kei from what I've seen.

Wouldn't the top one be decora-kei? ;o

Oshare was never a scene I got into, with the exception of early Duel Jewel, Canzel, and I'm sure 1 or 2 other omnibus tracks that I like but cannot think of at the moment. Jame actually considers Megaromania to be oshare.

JUST WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO OSHARE KEI? It doesn't seem to really exist anymore. I can't think of that many active Oshare Kei bands. Plus the number of new bands, arriving that choose to be Oshare Kei are low. The Oshare Kei scene has much less bands than it used to:

Classic examples of Oshare Kei bands:

Oshare died along with the POITRINE disbandment. :(

tumblr_m1ojebObtn1qa6dkxo1_250.gif

tumblr_m9c3c56t021rcxdzjo1_500.jpg

omg lulz, the one that starring at the cake. :lol:

"pop the cherry, pop the cherry, pop the cherry~!" :lol:

I was certain that oshare kei or oshare kei-esque bands were flooding the new visual scene at one point. :/ I guess it is becoming a dying fad and people are more into more "serious" looking/sounding bands. Such is visual kei.

I am not really into oshare, except for Aicle. because they were pretty unique, but I agree to what the people here have said. Old and classic Oshare isn't popular for the same reason as traditional or darker visual kei is- because they don't sell well anymore.

I personally don't think that heavier or darker visual kei bands are 'in' now- if that would be the case there weren't so many techno-dance rock bands who overuse autotune and are all "everything's love and peace! Let's Party!" In that case we could even dare to say oshare is somehow still alive in the neo visual trend- but only the cover in which the neo visual bands are wrapped to be sold better to fangirls and fanboys who wnat their bands to be "KAWAIIII!".

This is weird. I was under the impression that pretty much every new band popping up in recent months is of the lighter, colorful style and makes happy, strongly dance-oriented music with lots and loops and samples and autotune. Stuff like DEVI+TEC. Avidit, カメレオ or LUCHe.

Sure, it's not classic oshare but to me it's just seems like the next step of it.

This is weird. I was under the impression that pretty much every new band popping up in recent months is of the lighter, colorful style and makes happy, strongly dance-oriented music with lots and loops and samples and autotune. Stuff like DEVI+TEC. Avidit, カメレオ or LUCHe.

Sure, it's not classic oshare but to me it's just seems like the next step of it.

This.

I don't know about everyone else here but I definitely wouldn't call this a "serious looking band" and they're definitely guilty of abusing color:

REALies+LEVEL.jpg

Perhaps not your traditional "dipped in a rainbow" oshare band but they're pretty there. I guess oshare has just changed with the times.

I like what Champ and Zess are saying, but what I don't understand is why those bands don't consider themselves oshare. It's not like I have much to go by either.

Whenever oshare kei is mentioned, one band comes in mind : An Cafe ^^ So like Zess is saying Realies are definitely leaning more to the oshare kei style but how exactly can oshare kei bands be defined nowadays ? >< If you take a classical oshare kei band like An Cafe and some others Aicle(unique awesomeness :D),Aile,Juliette,Zip.er etc (got an endless list since when i got into vk i only looked for oshare kei bands lol) their style of music in nowhere to be found in the bands nowadays so in my opinion oshare kei must have developed to something completely different or stop existing >>> So i dont think you can call any band from the last years an oshare kei band since except the already ones that the most have disbaned no new bands come out claiming the title oshare-kei >< And like Champ mentioned bands like Devi+tec,Luche,Avivid in my opinion they can be said to be "neo" oshare kei bands but nowhere near the classic oshare kei style :D (Sorry if i didnt make out any sense because i wrote a lot as they came in mind :D) (although i checked it 2-3 times >>)

They tend to grow up or something maybe?

Besides, oshare bands has never been together for long. That´s a law.

Erm... D has been together for a while and Hiroki of D is 39 to date.

Wouldn't POPCORE also be new oshare kei? I think so atleast

I think so too ;p

Also another band that i can think of from the newer bands that propably fits in the oshare category is RoNo☆Cro

First off it's osare... You would think after all these years someone would finally pick up on that and spread it.

And yea I also think it's been replaced by the electronicore-influenced bands who wear Shibuya street-style (though classic osare was always that type of style, like baroque and bis, not the super colorful rainbow messes).

First off it's osare... You would think after all these years someone would finally pick up on that and spread it.

And yea I also think it's been replaced by the electronicore-influenced bands who wear Shibuya street-style (though classic osare was always that type of style, like baroque and bis, not the super colorful rainbow messes).

Umm... It's おしゃれ and しゃ is commonly romanized as either sha or sya, but certainly never sa XD

https://www.google.co.jp/search?q=%E3%82%AA%E3%82%B5%E3%83%AC%E7%B3%BB&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb&gws_rd=cr#bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&channel=fflb&fp=c04863669a11c06c&q=%E3%81%8A%E6%B4%92%E8%90%BD%E7%B3%BB&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial

What are you trying to prove? オサレ doesn't even mean anything, while お洒落(oshare) means stylish or dressed up which is kinda... you know... one of the main things that makes it what it is. Besides that, there's even a song by DEViL KITTY called バンザイお洒落系, so I think I'll take the word of another VK band for what it is and how it's spelled :v

Imo, most oshare bands, but not all are just really crappy bands ?

idk like theres no depth to it, not that its really supposed to have any anyway.... but idk thats just me.

theyre more focused on the style rather than the music so when its not in style anymore, its over.

Sign in to follow this