CAT5

[Band Battle] DIR EN GREY vs. the GazettE

Which band do you prefer?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Which band do you prefer?

• DIR EN GREY
    • the GazettE

Dir en Grey. It is so obvious to me.

And Kyo seems to have insane range. Though he really need to sing like he used to.

Cannot understand a thing lately.

the Gazette sounds the same lately which is why they are bad. And their new album so totally weak aside of the intro.

They need to get out their comfort zone seriously.

Or else getting stale.

these guys wrote MACABRE, raised a whole generation of VK-bands, toured all over the world and they have Shinya on drums

^ THIS

I'm not a fan of Dir en Grey anymore but thanks to them I'm into visual kei nowadays

i've never been a diru fan and probably never will be. i just couldn't get used to kyo's voice. although i do agree that diru revolutionized v-kei. and as for the gazette i love them. they're one of my top ten fave bands. but after dim i find them sorta lacking.

DIR EN GREY is one of the piooner of vk in the western scene (they're one of the first band who toured overseas), they inspired many actual bands (example: MERRY) and they did many masterpieces such as VULGAR or the most recent UROBOROS. Their technical skills are much better than GazettE's and their live performances are definitely more energetic and engaging, while GazettE care only about the appearances and the look. So, DEG wins for sure.

When you have a 5 year lead in the industry, that makes a huge difference (Dir en Grey started in 97' and Gazette came about in 02'). I don't think this is really a fair battle to be honest. Their musical styling is really different as Gazette uses way more electronic sfx (bleeps, synths, etc) and they don't try to go as dark/heavy as Dir en Grey (even Ruthless Deed wasn't really too dark b/c of the chorus and other elements). It would be interesting to see a Gazette version of UROBOROS and have Dir en Grey do a Dir en Grey style DIM though (IMO both their best albums)...

That being said, if I had to come down to it, I'd say Gazette only b/c I'm a fan of catchy tunes...what can I say if their is a truly catchy part in a song, I will be hooked on that song for days even months (::cough::cough::chorus line in Metis Gretel "Fairy Tale - Gothic"::cough:::). Also, using simple riffs doesn't make it bad music (I mean, how complex are most popular songs lately?) I do believe Dir en Grey is more creative with their music though, they just forgot to be catchy with it in their latest album (Uroboros has some catchy tunes and was really creative...would love to hear a Uroboros pt II album).

This ain't even a fair contest.

DIR EN GREY has been flawless since day one. They are pioneers. Luna Sea and X Japan started the scene, Diru took it and ran with it and has pioneered pretty much every advance in the genre since then, even though they've now left it behind. Case in point, there is no VK band that has not taken influence from them, and some other excellent bands (such as MERRY and 12012 and, somewhat ironically, the GazettE) basically wanted to be DIR EN GREY before coming into their own. (Okay, to clarify, 12012 CAN be awesome, but are not consistently so.)

the GazettE has always been hit-and-miss for me, but undoubtedly they are still one of the best bands in the VK scene. I was really into NIL back when that came out. I also like beautiful 5 [shit]ers from one of their first minis. And that semi-recent single, RED. Haven't really tried to listen to DIM, TOXIC, or DIVISION. Stacked Rubbish was...weird, but not rubbish.

DIR EN GREY has been consistently producing better material every album, but their old stuff is still great. Okay, except maybe Vulgar -> Withering. I still like Vulgar better. But Dum Spiro Spero is perhaps my favorite album ever from any artist in any genre. I know they got a lot of hate for it, but I love it.

So yeah, DIR EN GREY.

I don't think GazettE was a good match up, but I can't really think of another band with similar skill AND popularity to DIR EN GREY. They are plenty of bands that are as skilled or more so but nowhere near as popular, so its tough. Maximum the Hormone could definitely give them a run for sheer craziness and ferocity, but they're not on the same level commercially. Plus, Kyo and Daisuke both had throat surgery due to their crazy vocal antics.

Yeah, DIR EN GREY fans are cleaning the board...

but, I'm still choosing The GazettE because The GazettE is my really first visual kei band...

Thanks to them I know Visual-Kei world...

Yes, their latest releases are just lackluster and uninspired, but some of their work is still have their place in my heart...

I only love DIRU's ballad like like DOzing Green, Glass Skin, and Conceived Sorrow....

(ignore everything after BEFORE I DECAY though, I pretend that never happened and that they're on a two year hiatus now) so I'd have to go with the GazettE.

Lol

On a member by member basis, each of the respective members of Dir en grey are better at what they do than the members of the GazettE. The only members that could give DEG a run for their money are Aoi and Uruha, but Toxic and Division would make you question even that. It's not so much a matter of talent as much as it is how one uses that talent and I have to say that GazettE really isn't using their talent to its fullest.

While there are many parts to this I agree with, I have an unending favoritism for The GazettE. It's like the logical part of my brain knows that one of those songs wasn't good, but the rest of me is saying "F*** ME, THAT WAS WONDERFUL!" DIVISION was just amazing for me (Except for Gabriel on the Gallows, I just can't get into it yet), and TOXIC was, I'll admit, a bit "meh." Reasons why they are my favorites and I'd take them over DeG anyday: DeG doesn't have Uruha, my inspiration. Looking at the past, all the melodies and riffs he's done leave me in awe. Nowadays, you guys hear just a simple riff, I see the logic behind it and imagine what brought him to that. Without them, no VK music for Augie. Yes, from some few of the lyrics I have read of DeG, they do have some good lyrics, but The GazettE has lyrics that just reach out to me. Hell, I had a friend on the verge of suicide, I just played some The GazettE music to him, gave him the english lyrics, and it literally "saved" him.

But, that's just me. To extend how pointless it is for me to choose DeG here, I'll say this: Me choosing DeG as the better band would be the same as asking "Who's heavier, MEJIBRAY or SuG?" The answer is simple for me and I could give you countless reasons as to why.

I don't listen to either band, but I've tried on several occasions. Both are boring to me. But I'll give the point to DIR EN GREY for the brutal level

DEG all the way. If it wasn't for them (and syndrome) I would've never gotten into VK. I loved all of their works, including their latest singles/albums even though I wasn't AS interested in it than their early works. ♡ As for the gazette... I like them also. Everything up to DIM was amazing, but after that it just went downhill. Especially with TOXIC and DIVISION. As a Gazette fan I know that this is not their full potential and that they CAN do better. What's making me lose interest in them is simply just the fact that they want to appeal more to the mainstream crowd. I can understand them for wanting to be on the safe side though. I will give the gazette the benefit of the doubt and hope they will realize what talent they have, but until then DEG will always be on top ♡ and too the people claiming this is unfair...not necessarily...it's just a matter of opinion, it's not like we're doing this to bash how the gazette is ;)

Weren't some GazettE members DEG roadies in the first place?

I am not a huge fan on any of this bands but DEG keeps my interest while Gazette don't. I don't think a musical comparation per se would be possible since they do quite different music now but it's clear for me that in therms of skill DEG is better.

I like this concept of band battle I wish we can see more in the future with more balanced contestants xd

To be honest, I don’t care for what either band is today. Gazette’s last album was a pile of crap and Dir en Grey…well, I didn’t hate DSS, but I can’t even imagine myself listening to it again.

Gazette has done some awesome stuff. DIM was a great, cohesive, and moody album. Filth in the Beauty is one of my favorite jrock songs. Disorder and Nil aren’t bad either. But then again they have Division, Stacked Rubbish, and Toxic which are all crap imo.

While I might not like what Dir en Grey is now, I still love a lot of their old releases. Gauze, Kisou, Six Ugly, and Withering to Death are albums that I still enjoy the crap out of today. Even the albums I enjoy less like Vulgar and Macabre are still pretty good. Marrow of a Bone and Dum Spiro Spero are the only albums I think are bad, and I don’t think they come close to as bad as Division.

So, while I still like Gazette (or what they used to be), Dir en Grey wins this one easy imo.

Most people who likes The gazette are girls... why? because the are cute...

now talking about sound DEG is more consistent than TG, have more memorable songs and less deceptions than the gazette...

DEG owns TG

now talking about sound DEG is more consistent than TG, have more memorable songs and less deceptions than the gazette...

DEG owns TG

Most people who like DeG are girls too, just saying.

DEG owns TG

I disagree. most fans i know are dudes.... just saying.

Dir en grey for sure~

I think this forum would not even exist without that band....

Dir en grey raised an army of VK and J-rock loving people... it brought pretty much VK to western countrys...

and It brought me to the scene!

DEG owns TG

Most if not everyone I know is an Aussie, so the entire world must be filled with Aussies.

Wut.

Just saying..

I think this forum would not even exist without that band....

Nope, that's merely for Ito's giant hatred of yaoi. /off topic

DEG owns TG

Might be different in Europe then.

Sign in to follow this