Sign in to follow this  
CAT5

[Band Battle] DIR EN GREY vs. the GazettE

Which band do you prefer?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Which band do you prefer?

• DIR EN GREY
    • the GazettE

Both bands have formidable discographies, but I think DIR EN GREY definitely has a leg up in terms of variety. The Gazette has a larger amount of catchy songs imo, but I think DIR EN GREY has been more dynamic in their musicianship.

It's a tough call, but based solely off of the fact that I enjoy more gazette songs than I do DIR EN GREY songs, I GOTTA ROLL WITH THE GAZETTE ON THIS ONE!

[ib4 shitstorm... admins should keep an eye on this one.]

ok, now in topic.

I prefer DIR EN GREY overall, they have been my favourite band since years and I like the variety, their structured songs, the atmosphere they CAN create, theyr lyrics with sense, kyo's growls, toshiya's bass... well, everything.

The GazettE fans should've to forgive me but I think they can not do all of this.

I like a lot of stuff from them (mostly theyr early years and some heavier stuff from nowadays) but they can't compare.

DIM was the freaking awesome album but that's it. TOXIC and DIVISION are pure "letsdowhateveryonearoundtheworldisdoingandsellmuchmore" crap.

Actually it depends in your taste, your favorite band, the band you knew first, etc.

I'll keep an eye on this one too, maybe it will be a lot of fun.

(and yeah, I'm back from the shadows... university and working for starbucks is sucking my life completely.)

the GazettE, because I enjoyed their songs more. I never really got into DEG, so of course I voted for the former.

i like how it seems that deg care more about doing whatever the fuck they want musicaly/artistically

but gazette has a very safe generic popular music sound

always in looks too and music deg was more bold and innovative

but i prefer deg because i like their music more that's all

DIR EN GREY never really was my cup of tea, not to mention there's no album of DEG I enjoy as much as I enjoy the GazettE's DIM. Besides DIM they have some catchy songs as well (ignore everything after BEFORE I DECAY though, I pretend that never happened and that they're on a two year hiatus now) so I'd have to go with the GazettE.

On a member by member basis, each of the respective members of Dir en grey are better at what they do than the members of the GazettE. The only members that could give DEG a run for their money are Aoi and Uruha, but Toxic and Division would make you question even that. It's not so much a matter of talent as much as it is how one uses that talent and I have to say that GazettE really isn't using their talent to its fullest. Both bands' last albums sucked balls but DEG's last album sucked because they went off the deep end experimenting and forgot that they were making music sometimes. GazettE's last album sucked because the music was incredibly simple and uninspired and it doesn't sound like they even tried.

And I say that for GazettE because I try to give them the benefit of the doubt. If they did try and that's all they could come up with that says volumes about their compositional talent.

Also, since I've been a longtime Dir fan, I'm gonna have to roll with DEG on this one.

as much as I prefer pop and jazz in my VK, do you even have to ask? these guys wrote MACABRE, raised a whole generation of VK-bands, toured all over the world and they have Shinya on drums

tumblr_lz8qll3yTB1r8bf9co1_500.gif

I do agree that the GazettE has far more catchier songs than Dir en grey. I've always loved Gazette (especially during the Madara era) but i'm going to go with Dir en grey ONLY because i've been a fan of them longer and have followed them in their career since Kisou.

As much as I love Dim and a few songs from previous releases, Deg is one of my favorite bands and really got me into music in the first place, so my vote goes to them.

(Plus, they have Shinya and Toshiya, who blow most rhythm sections out of the water.)

Dir En Grey.

To be honest I don't like so much either of them, but i think that Gauze is the influence of most of the mothern VK stuff (i mean from 2004 and on), and maybe they always tried to be more "borderline"; while Gazette for what I've heard has always been more mainstream, they don't forced the styles, just followed them.

Even though I'm no longer a fan, DIR EN GREY. Listening to their early stuff (up until Withering to death.) or watching their concerts was such a weird and exciting experience. Gazette hasn't be able to even come close to doing something similar - probably won't ever.

I Love both bands, but DIR EN GREY. Gazette is still good and all, but DEG is something unique, not their old stuff or new, but everything. Gazette was awesome until DIM, after that its just... good, lol.

The only GazettE songs I like are "Social Riot Machines" and "Headache Man." The only dir en grey songs I like are pre-Gauze, and "Myaku."

I guess Diru, because I like more material comparatively. To be real, though, Diru's pre-Gauze stuff is really really good and reflects a lot of styles of music that visual-kei was at that time very well (all of which I am a big fan of). Oddly enough, I don't really like MISSA, which is their first and probably most kvlt release. La:Sadie's did that better for me.

Dir en grey actually have a few songs I really, really enjoy. I quit keeping up with Gazette since 2007 and nothing they released ever impacted me much. I could never get used to Ruki's voice.

Dir en grey for me! I have enjoyed all of their albums and they where the first band that really got me interested in the whole Japanese music scene. While I do like a lot of Gazette's stuff, I didn't really like Toxic at all and haven't brought myself to listen to the new one yet >_

Dir en grey all the way. They have more albums with better material. the GazettE always has that potential for greatness (works cited: Ruthless Deed, 13 Stairs - 1, Chizuru, Cassis, Filth in the Beauty, Distress and Coma, Headache Man), but consistently lets me down on a more grand scale than they impress me.

Every single Dir album has at least 5 tracks that are fucking fantastic.

I like Dir en grey and all eras of the band. I can listen to Cage and Dream Box and enjoy both equally, though early Dir en grey has some nostalgia bias. I really liked their latest album and hope they continue in this direction of atmospheric metal or whatever it is because it's rad. Dir en grey has also only ever had one bad album (Marrow of the Bone) but it wasn't exactly terrible. Just not up to par with their usual strong releases but they made up for it.

The Gazette have a stupid name, I mean the GazettE, that's just stupid. I just never liked their music, their indie stuff is pretty bland and their modern stuff is just catchy faux metal hard rock. I do like Filth in the Beauty and even bought Stacked Rubbish thinking with such a good single the album would be good. Nope, it was a huge waste of money and a waste of my time. Gazette has one catchy song to draw in the masses then the rest is just filler crap.

For me personally, it's really difficult to make a tiebreaker for these two bands. DIR EN GREY has gotten me into the bands I listen to, (in my opinion/pov) they have had a huge impact on Visual Kei outside of Japan, and the scene would likely be much more obscure without them (whether or not you still think they are VK). If I had never discovered them, I would know nothing of the bands I listen to, and while I could've came across the name once or twice, I may not have been able to really get into the GazettE. Still, I seem to invest more of my time into the GazettE as of awhile, and since this really is a tie for me, I went with them.

DIR EN GREY for sure!

the only band suprised me with each new album.

they make better music than the last one everytime they release an album.

i can keep listening their music for long period without get bored.

for GazettE, they are interesting, but still not impact enough.

DIM is their best imo, they didn't release anything better after that.

DIR EN GREY for sure!

the only band suprised me with each new album.

they make better music than the last one everytime they release an album.

i can keep listening their music for long period without get bored.

for GazettE, they are interesting, but still not impact enough.

DIM is their best imo, they didn't release anything better after that.

my thoughts exactly. Gazette has interesting songs, but hardly ever an album I'm really impressed with (save DIM). Deg always manages to impress me somehow!

Sign in to follow this