CAT5

THE BEER, WINE & LIQUOR THREAD

Ohh the booze thread how did I miss it?

I like drinks. I hate to get drunk because being hungover SUCKS  but I love drinks XD

I like vodka-based drinks a lot, pisco-based drinks as well. I enjoy weird liquors such as Baileys, mint liquor, cherry liquor...
Beer is a bit of an acquired taste for me, but I like it. I also tried sake once, though it was so long ago I can't even remember what it tasted like.

I love wine. I recently started working at a vineyard and they'll teach me to do wine tastings, I'm so excited lol I'm learning A LOT about wines.

ooo~ somehow I have missed this topic.

My drinking habits vary, but 2016 was very alcohol-filled year for me. I love whisky. That's pretty much my weak point when it comes to stronger drinks. I got a bottle next to my working table and take a sip every now and then. I can appreciate some old whiskies and such, but I mostly go with the cheapest stuff. Good old Jack Daniel's is good too. I'm not too picky.

Lately I've been getting more lazy and haven't been experimenting with drinks anymore, so I just buy Vodka and and mix it with whatever.

I've simultaneously picked up cheese and wine as a hobby. Double whammy for future gout and cardiac arrest. 

Alcohol is a very expensive and inconvenient hobby to have in Finland, but by making some common sense decisions and monetary sacrifices it can be done. I've pretty much barred myself from bulk lager, house wines and my favorite: "the cheapest whisky please!" This means less, and more efficient drinking, which is not a bad state of affairs to have. It's a far cry from what I got used to in eastern Europe though - not that I'm not already plotting my escape from Finland for good. 

I'm now having a 36 month aged Comte with Burmester 20 Year Old Tawny Port. I'm too much of a dilettante at the present to actually give any informed opinion on either, other than I like it. I ought to get some book on the subject and come back. 

I used to drink a lot of tequila sunrises but I've switched to Vodka Waters with a lemon. Now whenever I order one I can be really obnoxious and sing it like Rihanna does in her song 
"Sex With Me"  VODKA AND WATER AND A LEMON. The bartenders have been over it for a while now but at least once a night I say that. :cheers:

35 minutes ago, efuru said:

I used to drink a lot of tequila sunrises but I've switched to Vodka Waters with a lemon. Now whenever I order one I can be really obnoxious and sing it like Rihanna does in her song 
"Sex With Me"  VODKA AND WATER AND A LEMON. The bartenders have been over it for a while now but at least once a night I say that. :cheers:

I can totally relate to this. Tequila was my first love. I used to drink tequila sunrise and tequila slammers all night, all week long. My new favourite drink is also vodka with lemon or something like that. I never remember the name of the drink - it's "something-somethig trash" - I usually order "there's this vodka trash drink..."

2 hours ago, orange~ said:

I can totally relate to this. Tequila was my first love. I used to drink tequila sunrise and tequila slammers all night, all week long. My new favourite drink is also vodka with lemon or something like that. I never remember the name of the drink - it's "something-somethig trash" - I usually order "there's this vodka trash drink..."

"Vodka trash" lmaooo I mean vodka is the worst it's just cheap and gets you drunk without all the crazy side effects of other liquors. And it mixes with almost everything.... kinda. haha

I really love to drink sparkling winde and regular wine~ 

It's that fancy feeling and that nice tipsyness that reaches you without needing to drink a whole bottle by yourself. 

Don't know how it is in your countries, but in Germany students drink a lot and I'm a strong drinker even before I started studying so it's rare for me to get drunk from spirits or stuff. But sparkling wine still does the magic for me lol (I'm a bit tipsy rn, so don't mind me talking about the awesomeness of sparkling wine lol)

satanic.png

This one was a dark Imperial stout with lots of coffee and chocolate. I liked it a lot. One is more than enough for an avening, but it was damn good. Satanic Panic!

Toccalmatto-DrCaligari.jpg?ssl=1

Oh, this was fruity as fuck. Really liked it!

Bought both because of their names btw. I love the whole "Satanic Panic" era of the 80's and I fucking love the shit out of Dr. Caligari. One of my favourite horror films.

Beer: Taste by itself is lame, although I have never had a "good" beer so take that with a grain of salt if you've never had beer. I do use it to cook food, like "fish and chips" on occasion, since beer makes a very good light batter due to the carbonation and flavor, but I wouldn't drink it for taste and I certainly wouldn't drink it to party. 

Wine: I like red wines, and am not too picky. Red wines are great for braised red meats and have other culinary uses. I recently finished off a red wine blend which tasted pretty damn good. Pinot noir is pretty good, it tastes sort of like cherries and has a high resveratrol content. White wine works well for chicken and fish. I don't drink white wine by itself though, only red. I figure if I'm going to drink something unhealthy I should at least pick the healthiest wines.

Spirits: Can't stand these by themselves because of how strong they are, but Irish cream, margaritas, matinis, rum mixed with coke, pina coladas etc taste pretty good but are a fucking nightmare if you're trying to watch your weight because of the ridiculous amount of calories lol 

Edited by shiroihana

Decided to buy a case of New Belgium's Juicy Watermelon-Lime Ale.

juicy-watermelon-beer.jpg

This tasted very much like dirty water. No Joke.

I think the lime was alright, but the watermelon ruined the ENTIRE beer hops taste, and left you with a neutralized ale that had nothing but disappointment in every chug.

I recently got this:

Forty-Creek-Double-Barrel-Select-Review.

The description of the taste and nose is false for my bottle, it is closer to brandy. The finish is whiskey though. By god this is bad, it is mixing my two favourite types of spirits together into one bottle. Very dangerous stuff as it is like $70 each and I already can't get enough of it.

On 8/30/2017 at 10:00 AM, JukaForever said:

I recently got this:

Forty-Creek-Double-Barrel-Select-Review.

The description of the taste and nose is false for my bottle, it is closer to brandy. The finish is whiskey though. By god this is bad, it is mixing my two favourite types of spirits together into one bottle. Very dangerous stuff as it is like $70 each and I already can't get enough of it.

I've tried this one and it is really good. 

Currently drinking this for the stream.

New Belgium Voodoo Ranger Imperial IPA (ALC 9%)

New+Belgium+Voodoo+Ranger+Imperial+IPA.j

Surprisingly, it is not as bitter as I was expecting. For an Imperial IPA, that is very odd.

It is a tad too dry for my liking, but overall the taste is appropriate.

My new bar go-to is Tequila Pineapple. Not sure if there's another name for it but I love it.

Oh just googled it and if you add lime juice it's a Matador.

I love tequila. It gives me such a good, happy drunk so I try to drink that if I go out rather than whiskey or vodka. I'll have to try the lime juice next time.

And I expect the bartender to give me a flower like this picture I found on google.

20140211_195842.2014.jpg?1392177527

I spent my entire food budget on beer and coffee yesterday. Felt like the right thing to do there and then, but I am not so sure right now. Only got a single bread and nothing to have on it until the 12th of January. I got more than enough money to actually buy some more food and all, but a budget is a budget and you can't go over the budget. Would be useless with a budget if you starting spending more than planned.

But as soon as I start cracking open the Cervisiam cans I'm sure I'll feel like it was worth it. By far my favourite brewing company and beer simply doesn't get much better than Satanic Panic, The Toxic Alevenger, Hocolate Salty Christmas Balls, Bhuthurt, Bad Mango, Jungle Juice, Pecanisher,  Dankins, Scaphism and Nelson Mandalea. Salty Surprise, Enough to Make a Mango Go Sour, C.H.U.D., Seasonal Stash and Shoryuken are also top notch.

Only one of the many I have tried which I do not yet worship is S'Morbidly Obese, which is an incredibly sweet and powerful imperial stout. But I got 4-5 in the fridge, and it's been a while since I tried it. So hopefully I'll do the trick this time around. I really liked it last time, but I felt that 0,33l was a bit too much. Could've been halved down. Was perfect for sharing, despite not being much.

Another thing is that the cans and bottles look beautiful. You know, the type of cans and bottles you'll wash out and put on your shelf when finished drinking.

beer-1164185_b2ce8_hd.jpeg

beer-1241603_21bc7_hd.jpeg

salty.png

beer-2134104_6c7f9_hd.jpeg

453ccb55044049.5974907dc226d.jpg

Ugh man, how did I forget about this thread?!? I move to one of the best locations for beers and breweries and I forget to share them here. My bad.

I've gone to some old methods of mine, searching for liquor stores that allow customers to create their own sampler 6-Pack of whatever beer you want. It's a very fast and effective method of trying out the different types of beer out there. There's little guilt if you don't drink them fast enough as its better to have one get tossed as opposed to an entire 6-12 pack.

I'll have to start taking snapshots of what I'm drinking, but for now I can give those who want to know a good tasting lager out here.

I think I've tried about 10 or so different companies around here and the best one is surprisingly the one you can get anywhere in Colorado.

Upslope Brewing Lager

Suprisingly more fulfilling than the average lager out there like Budweiser or skunky Heineken, and yet more tame than a Samuel Adams Boston Lager.