CAT5

THE BEER, WINE & LIQUOR THREAD

What do you all like to drink?

I'm not a very experienced drinker, but I've chugged a lot of Bud Light Platinums this year. They're ridiculously smooth! XD

Bud_Light_Platinum_beer_glass_bottles.350w_263h.jpg

I haven't developed a preference in liquor yet. Any recommendations? I'm a newb, hehe. XD

mmm. I drink mostly wine. South American and New Zealand are the best for the money. But also like hard liquors, tequila, rum, whiskey, shochu. I don't really like beer or nihonshu (sake) too much. Though I've had some good beers and a beer matches a hot summer day/beach or BBQ so well. Umeshu I find too sweet, I don't like sweet drinks.. but I do quite like the flavor of it if it's very watered/iced down. I know a lot of people who make their own and it's a lot more delicious than often bought at the store. I do like a creamy mixed drink with baileys, kahlua, etc every once in a while and I love the taste of sambuca/ouzo.

All the alcohol I've tasted so far I don't like (too bitter) but recently my dad said that it got time I finally started drinking. So can anyone advice me some alcoholic drink that is not too bitter?

Asahi beer from Japan is my favorite

after that Ter Dool from Belgium (castle beer)

and from holland its Hertog Jan

i dont drink any other stuff since my liver cant handle that=p and im not a wine fan

All the alcohol I've tasted so far I don't like (too bitter) but recently my dad said that it got time I finally started drinking. So can anyone advice me some alcoholic drink that is not too bitter?

I would suggest you find some lambics. They're beer brewed with fruit and while they can sometimes be a bit on the tart side, I wouldn't say that they were bitter. I didn't get into beer at all until I started drinking Belgian ales, but YMMV. If I had to recommend one, I would go with Duvel's Maredsous 8. Witbiers and hefeweizens are great as well.

Oh and do yourself a favor and drink it out of a glass and not the bottle.

Belgium has the best beer tbh

also sai you could try Kriek maybe it's got cherries in it and all so it's actually sort of sweet as far as beer goes

I'm mostly into sweeter stuff myself. Thus I don't really like beer, strong drinks and I'm not that big on most wine as well.

Basically I would recommend fruity low-alcoholic wines. The first ever alcohol I drank was french Cidre Doux, a sweet sparkling apple wine with about 3% alcohol. I think I was about 13 or 14 when I drank it on a holiday to Normandy with my parents and I really liked it. If a 13-year old can like it, I'm sure so can you! :D

You can also try the stuff I linked, Umeshu (japanese plum wine) and mead, both are pretty sweet. When looking for mead, take something with low alcohol level, of about 5%. Since the sugar gets processsed into alcohol, a high percentage of alcohol means less sugar = more bitterness and less sweetness.

I'm mostly into sweeter stuff myself. Thus I don't really like beer, strong drinks and I'm not that big on most wine as well.

Basically I would recommend fruity low-alcoholic wines. The first ever alcohol I drank was french Cidre Doux, a sweet sparkling apple wine with about 3% alcohol. I think I was about 13 or 14 when I drank it on a holiday to Normandy with my parents and I really liked it. If a 13-year old can like it, I'm sure so can you! :D

You can also try the stuff I linked, Umeshu (japanese plum wine) and mead, both are pretty sweet. When looking for mead, take something with low alcohol level, of about 5%. Since the sugar gets processsed into alcohol, a high percentage of alcohol means less sugar = more bitterness and less sweetness.

Seconding the suggestion for Umeshu. I've only had it twice, but I could barely even tell it was alcoholic since it just tasted like plum juice :D

I'm not a big drinker, I only like beer and some wines (but mostly just beer xD). Oh, and cider is pretty awesome too, especially the English or Irish ones. :3 Can take vodka too, mixed with random juices & sparkly water, but other than that I don't like "harder" stuff.

In the local bar (which is also the place I work, well, I work at a party rental service which used to be a bar/catering and now is a party rental with a bar/catering xD) they have Heineken's. So I kinda grew up with it...

It's pretty easy to swallow all night long =). Favourite drinking beer however would be Hertog Jan...

When it's sunny and I sit outside, I prefer the white beers, like Erdinger Weiss, and when I start drinking with some friends, I tend to start of with 2 or 3 Quillotine's, which really is a pretty heavy beer (http://www.delirium.be/la_guillotine), once did 5 of them and then I had to go to the toilet... stood up, and immediatly lost my balance xD filthy sons of a bitches xD

Besides beer, I'm not that much of an alcohol user. Sometimes a Jonge Jenever (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jenever) with Fanta (Jonge Fanta/Jonge Sisi) or a Beerenburg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beerenburg) with Cola (Cola-Beerenburg xD) or with Sprite (Zeven Beren (seven bears)

Coctel+gin+&+tonic-2-big.jpg

I've been drinking gin and tonic all week (well, last week/end). I used to hate them but put a little lime juice and sugar in them... mmm...

You could always just go for mixdrinks. Liquor 43 with orange juice tastes like those split icecreams.

I usually drink beer (because cheaper), namely Hertog Jan and Jupiler but I prefer liquor, mostly Tequila and Vodka. Good thing I have a pretty high alcohol tolerance lol

I really like wine as well but my face goes bright red after just one or two glasses so I never drink it haha

What do you all like to drink?

I'm not a very experienced drinker, but I've chugged a lot of Bud Light Platinums this year. They're ridiculously smooth! XD

Bud_Light_Platinum_beer_glass_bottles.350w_263h.jpg

I haven't developed a preference in liquor yet. Any recommendations? I'm a newb, hehe. XD

STOP DRINKING THAT PISS WATER! POUR IT DOWN THE DRAIN!

I pretty much only drink beer (BUT BEER MAKES YOU FAT) but I avoid PBR, Miller, Bud Light, Key Stone etc. Ugh, that stuff is garbage. The reason I hate it all so much is because when I was first introduced to beer people only gave me PBR and some other shit brand. The stuff taste awful! I sorta stuck to hard ciders and Bloody Mary drinks until someone bought me a really good micro brew and my MIND WAS BLOWN. I didn't know beer could actually taste good!

In any case, I don't have a brand preference. I just mostly know the ones I hate and stay away from them. Two brands I do enjoy is Elysian and New Belgium most others are usually local brewed stuff and I'm not sure if some of these you can even get outside the bar they're crafted in. For example the comic club I am in meets every week at a local bar that brews its own beers. They have some good stuff!

As for actual liquor, generally I just go with easy drinks like gin and tonic or a screwdriver.

All the alcohol I've tasted so far I don't like (too bitter) but recently my dad said that it got time I finally started drinking. So can anyone advice me some alcoholic drink that is not too bitter

I'd suggest fruity beers, I like New Belgium because they have some awesome fruity drinks. That stuff can be dangerous though, it's like. OH THIS IS GOOD and suddenly you've had eight drinks and can't walk anymore.

For mix drinks, I actually don't do hard liquor that much however if you get a good smooth liquor it'll make a huge difference.

Are there any Speakeasy bars near you? The Speakeasy bars in Seattle are great and you'll always walk out very satisfied. It's a place you go to enjoy the drink and not to get shit faced, they will also work with you if you aren't sure what you want. They'll be more than happy to create a drink just for you. A bit on the pricer side but if you can find similar places near you, I'd check it out. It's a good way to experiment and try new liquors and see if there's something you like.

baileys.jpg

I think Baileys on the rocks is quickly becoming my favorite drink. Tastes great and doesn't have too much of an alcohol taste. You look classier drinking it and I don't get the "stigma" that comes with ordering a fruitier (i.e. girlier) drink. I especially love the Bailey's caramel, though the mint chocolate Bailey's was pretty disappointing.

The downside is that it is expensive, especially for the amount of liquid you get. The shiitty part is the off brands just can't stand up. I've tried Emmet's and Caroline's, but they both are marginal at best and not worst saving your money. I have also tried Dooley's, which is essentially an Irish cream that uses vodka instead of whiskey, but I honestly don't like it very much. It has a nice toffee initial taste, but the alcohol tastes is very strong and unpleasant and ruins anything it had going for it. I have also made my own Irish Cream before and that is tasty as hell, but I can't drink much of it because it is so rich.

I would like to try St. Brendan's (off brand), E & J's (uses brandy instead of whiskey), and Rum Chata (rum and rice milk).

I always love cocktails.

It always my choice when going for night out.

My favourites includes:

Cosmopolitan

Cosmopolitan.jpg

Rusty Nail

25491.jpg

Manhattan

manhattan(2).jpg

Sweet Vermouth (duh)

Barrel-Aged-Manhattan-Makers-Mark-Dolin-Sweet-Vermouth-Orange-Bitters.jpg

Kir (duh)

2010_08_19-Kir1.jpg

Martini

martini-5.jpg

Calvadoz

Apple-Calvados-wine-Calvados-Brandy-History-French-Apple-Calvados.jpg

Other than that, straight up Whiskey.

Or mixed with OJ or Coke.

Favourite Wine, Chianti (duh)

Fave Summer drinks:

Caipirinha

caipiri%C3%B1a.jpg

Mojito

mojito-su-1076675-l.jpg

Mai Tai

maitai.jpg

Whisky, nothing beats it.

Japan are pretty darn good at making it, so Nikka, The hakushu, anything really. Believe Nikka won 1st price in world championship at some point.

Personally i prefer the highlanders, they're more smooth taste wise. If you want a nut cracker, go for the Islanders, taste like smoke, ropes and lots of tar (description from my uncle)

I recently went to Czech Republic with my family, and some locals sold me some mead. My god it's great, especially chilled.

Other than that, beer. Denmark makes some very easy-to-drink beers. Carlsberg and Tuborg i believe are sold worldwide.

But do yourself a favor, look for some local breweries, they tend to make some pretty delicious stuff, compared to the mass produced.

Personally, I have a thing for simple mixed drinks. Some that I make on the rare occassion I do drink are:

Fireball Cinnamon Whisky + (diet) soda

Vodka (regular or whipped cream flavored) + blood orange juice/Italian soda

Jaeger + Dr. Pepper

Kaluha + milk

I don't drink often, so those are pretty much the only things I make when I do drink, the first being my usual since I always have soda. Haven't found a beer or a wine I liked, which is amusing since this town has a lot of wineries, is a huge producer of hops, and has a festival celebrating that fact every year.

Beer: Hoegaarden - Light white belgian beer, made with wheat, coriander and citrus peel.

Guiness Stout & Extra Stout : Dark chocolatey/coffee like beers.

Mixed drinks:

Black russian - vodka and kahlua. Tastes like coffee

White russian - vodka tia maria and cream. tastes like a milkshake

Midori Sour - melon liqueur, whisky sour, lime soda 2 cherries. Fruity, tangy, cool green color

Amaretto Sour - almond liqueur, whisky sour, orange peel, maraschino cherry. Tart, but a bit less

Dark and Stormy - Goslings black seal rum, and ginger beer over ice - Tastes primarily like ginger beer, with a warm woody rum air in it.

Tootsie roll - I dunno how this one is made. A friend of mine mixed it. Tastes like a tootsie roll!

Other:

Umeshu

Watermelon Soju

Stones Ginger Wine

Irish car bomb - shot with baileys and guiness

Doctor pepper - similar short, with something i can't recall